• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and its WRPG problem.

Yoboman

I am surprised SIE Japan is not making there own AAA RPG instead of being satisfied with time exclusivity of Project Athia/FF XVI. The likes of FF X used to be a reason to buy PS2. Even PS3 had Tales of Xilia and Eternal Sonata.

Who inserted rpgs into that? This is not PS3 gen.
SIE Japan resting on their laurels is what they do

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dude, you're entire thread is retarded.

Did MS ban companies from making WRPG on the rival console while we weren't looking?
what WRPGs have been announced for the ps5?

SIE Japan resting on their laurels is what they do
what have they made since Bloodborne and The last guardian? serious question. i thought they were the ones making silent hill but i guess thats vaporware now?

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Sony just went overkill on action games, when they saw how much money they were able to make, they made that genre theirs with a somewhat formulaic approach. Not diversifying will put them in a very tight spot this upcoming generation, but I think they will be able come up with something.

Given enough time, Sony studios primarily come good at the end, I am just not sure if they will be able to churn out titles fast enough. at this point I am certain they will acquire some studios.

MS finds themselves mostly competing with themselves for a genre with a limited audience

Bro, are you serious?

My concern 8s uncharted won't be uncharted it will be woketarded. I don't want to play as Nadine or Nathan's drakes daughter. Give me drake or no deal. I even expect Kratos to turn woke in the next series and they hand if off to his new daughter or some shit because of the sjw pandering of Cory barlog on Twitter. It wouldn't surprise me.

This bethesda news sucks though. I had a balance on ps3/ps4 with both jrpgs and wrpgs as I love both more than any other genres. Now I can't play elder scrolls in bed. Sure I can get it for my pc but who knows if it will support a dual core i3 @ 3.7ghx. I'm sure my 1660 super gtx will be fine but a new cpu would require a new mobo/ram/case and that's at least 500 to 600 minimum. Why I got the i3 I can still max out any game with it but for how long. Shit I'm maxing out mount and blade 2, to me that's crazy.

I wanted to stick with Sony again as I have 270 ps games {due to psplus) and the backwards compatibility meant I could move my launch Era ps4 into the basement and keep the ps5 in my bedroom. With the ps4 backlog interchangeable. If I bought an Xbox my backlog is meaningless and if my ps4 breaks then what?

I hate this aquisition. It added nothing to gaming all It did was steal games away. Similar to tomb raider from a few years past but worse. If this was all multiplayer games like anthem or gears I wouldn't care but single player wrpgs, fPS and strategy games are my bread and butter... But again I also love my demon souls. Arrgh... Wtf ms. If I knew tes6 and starfeild would be on ps5 I wouldn't be stressing.

whynotboth.gif

Yoboman

what have they made since Bloodborne and The last guardian? serious question. i thought they were the ones making silent hill but i guess thats vaporware now?
Gravity Rush 2 and Astro

Really low quantity of output from them

I wonder... How did the JRPGs fare this generation compared to the WRPGs.

FF7:Remake hit over 5 million in a few months.
FF15 is around 9 million.
Persona 5 did over 5 million I think.
Nier did 3 to 4 million.
Dragonquest 11 did a few million I think.

Don’t know the numbers for the WPG’s, but I know Witcher 3 sold really well.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

of course. I have been asking for sony to diversify forever now and all I would hear from Sony fans was that well, they have third party games like cybperunk and starfield. Even after MS bought Obsidian. Well now they dont.
That remains to be seen. Unlike you (and Sony) Microsoft does not see this as an act of war and is aiming to release those big 3rd party games on multiple systems. Just like Minecraft. GP needs to take off in a big way for MS to decide to go exclusive with a big title. Not 15m user big but way bigger. see Nitflix has 190m users and is making "just" 350m profit. it will take a long time before that 7,5b is earned back that way. I feel MS might go 3rd party.

You are forgetting that PS5 has all the momentum and stellar games coming in. MS buying Bethesda does not change that. Plus MS has no good track record in buying studio's and maintaining the same quality (RARE anyone? Lionhead?). and with Fallout 76 freshly in my memory i can only cry about the quality of the next titles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FF7:Remake hit over 5 million in a few months.
FF15 is around 9 million.
Persona 5 did over 5 million I think.
Nier did 3 to 4 million.
Dragonquest 11 did a few million I think.

Don’t know the numbers for the WPG’s, but I know Witcher 3 sold really well.

Dragon Quest XI did 5.5m WW.
Kingdom Hearts III did 5m WW.
Persona 5 + Royal did about 4m WW.

I think JRPGs in general are doing better this gen compared to WRPGs I guess.

Last edited:

There's that rumor that the reason we haven't seen much output from Sony Japan Studio is because they've been working on a space-themed game since 2014. If true, then that would be big and would answer for Bethesda's Starfield.

There's that rumor that the reason we haven't seen much output from Sony Japan Studio is because they've been working on a space-themed game since 2014. If true, then that would be big and would answer for Bethesda's Starfield.
Lol no. It would not be an answer to Starfield.

Its a Sony game. It'll be a third person game set in space starring a queer female POC in a pink ship.

If its real at all, that is.

Lol no. It would not be an answer to Starfield.

Its a Sony game. It'll be a third person game set in space starring a queer female POC in a pink ship.

If its real at all, that is.

If there's any take aways from this gen on Sony side is not to underestimate their first-party output especially of they've given them the love and care and took years to develop.

Sure it's not for everyone (starfield will not be for everyone as well), but their game reeks quality and sells in the millions despite being available on one platform only.

If there's any take aways from this gen on Sony side is not to underestimate their first-party output especially of they've given them the love and care and took years to develop.

Sure it's not for everyone (starfield will not be for everyone as well), but their game reeks quality and sells in the millions despite being available on one platform only.
Thats true.

And also a bonus for Sony is that their 1st party games should sell even more next gen since PS owners won't have as many 3rd party games to buy. Kinda like how Nintendo 1st party gets inflated numbers, because, like, what else is there on those systems?

Last edited:

Keihart

They are being used to help port games and production of other tittles, it's really weird.

How do they have a WRPG problem? up until today they had all of the ones MS had other than Fable and MS hasn't made a new one of those since the 360.

This acquisition really did turn a lot of people's brains to mush.
They were always like that.

Yesterday was the revealing of what we saw with all the elements of FUD in the last year. Those guys are mentally sick. I hate the Nintendo fans for some reasons (let's pretend Star Fox Zero is a gem, let's buy Nintendo even if they are bad because it would kill the licence) but the XBOX are the worst. There's a studie to be done.

A2una1

In your scenario you're spending $500 for a PS5 to play the 3 or 4 worthy games on it. Thats not value. Thats idiotic. You can YouTube Sony games and not miss a single lesbian SJW tranny moment and save the money.

With that argument, I only need a tablet, because I can Youtube every game...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think you need to ask MS to diversify their games.
They just bought a bunch of IP's that looks just like their existing first party lineup, ironically most are FPS's 🤔

Redlight

That remains to be seen. Unlike you (and Sony) Microsoft does not see this as an act of war and is aiming to release those big 3rd party games on multiple systems. Just like Minecraft. GP needs to take off in a big way for MS to decide to go exclusive with a big title. Not 15m user big but way bigger. see Nitflix has 190m users and is making "just" 350m profit. it will take a long time before that 7,5b is earned back that way. I feel MS might go 3rd party.

You are forgetting that PS5 has all the momentum and stellar games coming in. MS buying Bethesda does not change that. Plus MS has no good track record in buying studio's and maintaining the same quality (RARE anyone? Lionhead?). and with Fallout 76 freshly in my memory i can only cry about the quality of the next titles.

What is this based on? It seems unlikely to me that MS spent all that money just to keep the status quo.

The fact is that it'll be a massive surprise if any of the Zenimax games get to Playstation once this deal is bedded down.

Mind you, I like your insurance policy "We'll get them on Playstation and, if we don't, MS will wreck them anyway and besides who even wants them".

There are entire oceans on this planet with less salt. :)

MastaKiiLA

What were the biggest WRPGs on the PS4, and what did they sell? I wasn't aware this was a major genre for any console, least of all Playstation. I thought WRPG was largely a PC genre.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What were the biggest WRPGs on the PS4, and what did they sell? I wasn't aware this was a major genre for any console, least of all Playstation. I thought WRPG was largely a PC genre.

Top of my head: Just Witcher 3.

And yes, when I think of WRPGs, I think of PC, not consoles. Heck even FPS are PC oriented.

Last edited:

SNG32

That's why Sony should focus on JRPGs like they did in the PS1 and PS2 era, because Microsoft clearly has no advantage in that segment.

Unfortunately Sony went the SJW way and is censoring most games from Japan.
I guess that's why most japanese devs develop for the Switch. Another mistake from Sony.

I agree Playstation needs to fire all cylinders for Jrpgs. Since they have a big advantage over Microsoft in this area.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
People forget that those games require 100-200 million each to be made into a quality AAA game. Would they get that? Also, calm your tits for now until you see something worth mentioning, and running on Xbox Series X hardware.

The Shepard

Popamolers/consoletards losing their shit...:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

And I suppose you don't cry into your pillow every time a epic store exclusive is made 😭

On topic: this gen just got a whole lot more interesting, definitely sticking with the 3 consoles and I do think Sony should try and make a proper wrpg and even a jrpg, could be great. Competition will push sony to making even better games to keep players on the station, same as its pushed Microsoft to buy them. I always thought Microsoft should have brought bioware back in the day, when they were great and this Bethesda purchase just proves they could've. Easily.

Humdinger

Well, no company can do everything. There are always shortcomings in a catalog.

The way I see it, Playstation is the place to get great, polished, narrative-driven action adventure games. Nintendo is the place to get games that are light-hearted and fun. And MS is now apparently the place to get WRPGs.

As someone who enjoys all three of those types of gaming experiences, I'll end up owning all three consoles.

FStubbs

At this point the op is correct. If wRPGs are your main genre, you'll choose Xbox over Playstation. And maybe that's fine. Sony will still get some, and they should concentrate on the cinematic games where they're strong.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
TES6 will be available on Steam on launch day, why not PS5?

People don't seem to realize the appeal of gamepass is accessing a library of retail games for a cheap price, not "Gamepass exclusives".

Putting Bethesda games on PS5 doesn't hurt MS at all.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Now all of a sudden SONY has an WRPG problem? I think they can do some things outside of a game category you still need momentum, and for the most part Uncharted, God of War, etc. are ahead of Fallout, if Fallout all of a sudden becomes spectacular than Xbox will be the do everything console something that SONY is, Xbox could become legit.

Shifty1897

The internet: PS5 won't have any WRPG's now! LOLOLOLOL.

CDProjekt Red:
oCCvrdx.jpg

CeeJay

It will be fine. If the studios are smart, they would make their games timed exclusives. Bethesda has always had their titles multiplatform anyways, they have an already established fan base for their popular titles. The demand for the sequels is already there. Launch their games on the PS5 sometime later, GoTY edition maybe, and everyone wins.
Did you not get the memo, Microsoft now owns Bethesda...

If this was the other way around and Sony bought them, would you still think that they would appear on Xbox?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The issue with the Zenimax acquisition is that their games don't really plug any gaps in MS line-up. They had Halo, now they have Doom and Wolfenstein too. They had Obsidian and now they have Bethesda also... Its doubling down on the same markets and setting these brands in direct competition with each other.

Its good in a way because it does help to differentiate the platforms, but on the other hand its a disincentive for anyone new try and break into such genres because the market is such a bearpit.

If you are developing a FPS, how are you supposed to compete at retail when Halo, Doom and Wolf are available day #1 on GamePass for both Xbox and PC? If you are CoD or anything else with a pedigree and following its not an issue, but for smaller teams/new IP's... Yeah, that don't look like a good spot.

IDappa

Idiotic is buying a console for game pass, exclusives and better hardware, PC got that covered plus PS5, the best of both worlds.
Not everyone feels the need or has the means to drop a couple G's on a PC especially if you can pay $299 for a Xbox series s or fork out the $499 for a Xbox series X Also not everyone who plays PC solely games on it. I have a gaming PC and still play my Xbox and PlayStation depending whats happening with the kids/family and how I feel at the time.

IDappa

TES6 will be available on Steam on launch day, why not PS5?

People don't seem to realize the appeal of gamepass is accessing a library of retail games for a cheap price, not "Gamepass exclusives".

Putting Bethesda games on PS5 doesn't hurt MS at all.
It makes no sense to purchase Bethesda to then keep releasing them on PlayStation. As I said in another thread the advantage to say Starfield, Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls, Doom day and date exclusively on Xbox consoles and day one on game pass on pc and consoles. Plus people buying gamepass just to play these games on their phone through xcloud. It's a no brainer to keep them only available through these means to increase gamepass subs and hardware sales.

It's just PlayStation fanboy keeping all their fingers and toes crossed hoping for the opposite, it's not going to happen.

I don't even know why some people are that excited about Bethesda. Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Fallout, Elder Scrolls have all essentially gone downhill and each of the last games created for these properties is arguably the worst one ever created in each of their storied histories. It would be like getting excited about MS buying Bioware after EA already ran them into the ground.

Top Bottom