• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Xbox Scarlett To Be ‘Always Connected Online’ According To NHL 20 Dev.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

NHL 20 developer EA Canada has revealed during a chinwag with Electric Playground Network that PlayStation 5 and Xbox Scarlett will be ‘always connected online.’ William Ho mentioned the feature while name-checking the various abilities that next-generation consoles will afford developers, which includes of course increased visual fidelity and reduced loading times.

When asked by the host about what we can expect from new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, Ho commented:

There’s so much up in the air right now, we’re just starting to wrap our heads around it. We’ve got some ideas, you know, I think something I alluded to earlier is how can we let people have their personal experience whenever they want it? That’s something I think next-gen is probably going to facilitate: greater power, more storage, always connected online, insanely short load times, so we’ll see about that.

FranXico

source.gif

So, that's what the MS-Sony deal was about... to Hell with the both of them!

Last edited:

radewagon

Only a problem if it's a requirement for single player gaming. Saying the consoles are always online doesnt mean much until we know how the games will behave when they lose a connection.

This isnt bad news yet. Just news. Keeping my fingers crossed.

INC

As long as offline games work, I don't care

My only issue with digital games, I'm locked out on ps4

Why not allow an unlock code sent to your phone to authorize it? It's already doing 2 step authentication anyway

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It reads more like he expects them to be connected, because users choose to connect them. If there is online enforcement (so e.g. as Xbox One was originally going to have), MS / Sony can go fuck themselves.

This I doubt, especially for a PlayStation console. Sony is aware that this is the kind of crap that pisses off gamers and knows to avoid it.

PS5, like all the PS consoles before it, will work just fine without an internet connection.

H4ze

Hot take inc: I don't care personaly.

My consoles are always online anyway, my connection is super stable and fast.
Ofc, there are still People in more rural places who might have a problem with that, so please take this as my opinion only, nothing else.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hot take inc: I don't care personaly.

My consoles are always online anyway, my connection is super stable and fast.
Ofc, there are still People in more rural places who might have a problem with that, so please take this as my opinion only, nothing else.
It's not just about having not internet connection. You lose control over your possessions and if the online service gets discontinued, your games become useless junk.

FUBARx89

I'd be surprised after the backlash with the original xbox one launch.

It wouldn't matter for me seeing as my console is always online anyways, but I can see why some people would be upset.

Quasicat

I would like to think that these companies remember what happened in 2013 when this came up. As long as there is an option, like there is today, to go off-line, i’m totally fine with this.
Last week, when Xbox live was having issues, I was still able to play without the system constantly trying to ping the Internet. Hopefully this is still an option for next generation.

Stuart360

I wouldnt be surprised if its true, but after what happened with the XB1, i wouldnt be surprised if its false either.

Gargus

Banned
So?

Ps4 and xb1 are always online as well to update trophy data, sync with friends, messages, notifications, etc. And you can turn it off if you want.

I think what they are trying to say is all EA games next gen will need to stay connected to online at all times on the next gen PS and Xbox consoles. Consoles themselves would have their exclusives and other third party games that wouldn't need to stay connected to online 24*7

rəddəM

How do you know, really? Spill the beans.
Because PS4 absolutely freaking destroyed XBox because of it? Because Sony knows about the offline gamer crowd? Because you don't change what's winning? Because of BC with PS4?
If PS5 has BC with PS4 then it's almost sure to assume it will be an extension of it and will work offline too.
Sony would be really dumb to pull a 2013 XBox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think it might be taken out of context. If you have your wifi always running as well as your console/PC. Its always connected right? If your PC runs day long then 9 times out of 10 you're connected to the internet. This is why we have such things as ''auto-update". The "online" feature isn't exactly a new one. Most operating systems and phones need a connection at some point. Developers might be told to have an online experience, but I doubt offline mode is completely dead. I'd imagine they are trying to fit the mold with other products that utilize the internet. You couldn't see your friends list, receive messages, download games, get updates and purchase new games if you weren't connected.

Katsura

Only a problem if it's a requirement for single player gaming. Saying the consoles are always online doesnt mean much until we know how the games will behave when they lose a connection.

This isnt bad news yet. Just news. Keeping my fingers crossed.
You're not wrong of course, but given how gaming has developed is there any realistic chance it wont be constant telemetry and drm?

You can blame the Sega Dreamcast for all this 'evil' online gaming that seems to be causing a couple on this thread today to quit the hobby, first console to have a built in modem back in '98...

Having the possibility of playing online and being forced to be online all the time for no reason are different things. It's about limiting the options of the player without a proper return. I hope they don't do this.

It's hard for me to believe Sony will NOT use the PS4 as their template for their next-gen console.

To a fault, most likely. Sony's interface, while (mostly) functional, is rather spartan and uninspiring...but it was a slight improvement over the PS3.

Also, when the 'always on' bit is confirmed for both consoles, they hypocrisy from a certain fanbase is going to go from "ludicrous" speed to "plaid".

Guess this means the Master System and NES were always-online. You learn something new every day.

Oh hell, this means the Atari 2600 and Intellivision...and PONG were always online too.

Mind. Blown.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
How do you know, really? Spill the beans.
He speaks about his gut feeling. Everyone has one of these with certain things. Let him be. I believe that always online would be a dumb move right now, maybe in 10 to 15. So all the world can progress towards it together.

cryptoadam

Banned
I can see it being like the Switch with NSO where it checks in every week or so. Thats probably what he meant. It should be online all the time, but if you go offline its ok as long as you log in for some amount of time every now and then.

Didn't we have the same rumors from EA (maybe other publishers/devs) the last time around? How did it turn out?

So we shall see.

Just like the RT related features of both consoles. Sony are known to hold their cards pretty close to their chest, until they are ready to play, MS are kind of blow hard who think Twitter and interviews make a good console.

How much of the "information" we have at this point is dis-information, meant to make the competitor either reveal their hand or do some stupid panic move with their hardware specs (that would make their next console either under powered, too expensive, or like in this case flatten the service offering so that what would be a dis-advantage is now level on all platforms).

Either way, if this is the case there are good chances that I won't need to buy a next gen console, internet has been shaky here lately.

Top Bottom