• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X CPU Gap is Negligible, Says Developer of Monster Energy Supercross

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The PS5 and the Xbox Series X both have advantages over the other in different areas where hardware and specifications are concerned. For instance, while the former has a much more impressive SSD, the latter has a leg up over its competitors where the GPU is concerned. In some areas, however, the two consoles are more on less on even footing, and according to Milestone’s Alex Zucca, who’s game director of the upcoming Monster Energy Supercross – The Official Videogame 4, the CPU is one such area.

When asked about the differences between the two consoles’ CPUs in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Zucca said that the gap is negligible at best, and that as always, what’s more important is how developers will make use of the hardware on hand to deliver properly optimized experiences.

“The difference is so small that I honestly wouldn’t even call it a difference,” said Zucca. “As usual it is not always just about raw power to use, but about exploiting it in an clever and optimized way. Only time will allow us to understand, in terms of development, what advantages can be obtained from both CPUs: we are very excited to see the bright future unfolding before our eyes.”

sn0man

At 1440p-4K the games are 100% GPU bound anyway. Not that a mere 100MHz would make a difference anyway in games with fixed 30/60FPS, as oppose to PS4/XB1 the current consoles have way more than enough computing power this time around.
Yeah you watch enough gamers nexus and hardware unboxed on YouTube and you realize above 1080p that Ryzen 5 3600 for under $200 is gonna be good enough for video games over the next 2–3 years.

the 5600X in particular while better is just not important on a 3080 at 1440 and 4K. Similar stuff here on PS5/XSX. That said. xSX is a bit faster and longer into the gen it could matter a tiny bit.

doesn’t xsx have a faster 8core single thread mode?

Last edited:
news church GIF by South Park

Non-stop stream of bovine feces by playstation fans to downplay the obvious hardware win by Microsoft is pathetic.

Want to say that as someone who has never owned an xbox (and doesn't plan to either)
I only see a non stop stream of xbox sheeps declaring 50% performance gab. Huge win for Microsoft. Fud against playstation everywhere. Stop laying

Arioco

Yes, it does, but that mode is supposed to matter now, early in the generation, when graphics engines are not fully optimised for 16 threads but for the 8 threads the old consoles have, in that case 8 threads at higher speed (3.8 Ghz) may perform better than 16 threads at 3.6. In a year or two all game engines should support all 16 threads and the difference between PS5 and Series X CPU should narrow. That was the idea, according to MS itself that mode was there for this reason.

On the other hand Series X seems to use more of its CPU for I/O than PS5 (1/10th of a core, if I recall correctly?) , so yes, probably there's not much of a difference, if any.

Shubh_C63

I mean raw power days are numbered. It's the optimization that will always wins the game, i.e only time will tell.

I mean Intel is still in the game just because of optimization rather than getting into lower nm scale.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yeah you watch enough gamers nexus and hardware unboxed on YouTube and you realize above 1080p that Ryzen 5 3600 for under $200 is gonna be good enough for video games over the next 2–3 years.

the 5600X in particular while better is just not important on a 3080 at 1440 and 4K. Similar stuff here on PS5/XSX. That said. xSX is a bit faster and longer into the gen it could matter a tiny bit.

I actually built my pc in January, but bought a 5600x last month once it became available.

I've noticed a performance increase at 1440p.

Three

Care to link to a single claim of that kind?

You're welcome. In fact take a look at other posts in that thread where somebody was saying the gap would be minimal/negligible.

Last edited:

Soodanim

While the source isn’t the best, the content of what he’s said seems to be largely true.

They’re both close enough, which makes all of you console warriors all the more sad for arguing over it

GHG

Gold Member
wasn't it Tom Warren more ?

edit : yeah it was

Well to be fair it could be an important and much needed advantage for the Series S.

Typically when benchmarking CPUs you'd want to run games at 720p in order to see the differences, so this seems like a good match.

Concern

Yeah, technical comparisons of Monster Energy Supercross - The Official Videgame 4 should finally end this discussion.

It could the devs of a "demanding" game like the escapists. But if it fits the fanboys narrative, its gospel lol.

scydrex

Unfortunately the difference with jaguar is gigantic and they still develop games for that trash...

Yep. Until they stop developing games for that trash GPU the games will not go next gen. That CPU back then was bad today is abysmal...

ethomaz

Banned
Just the use of the Hypervisor already add more overhead to CPU than what you have on PS5 so the MHz difference gives a difference in performance close to zero.

In fact if you look at how the CPU is utilized in a close to metal API you will start to believe the PS5 has the advantage in CPU due the DX12 overhead in CPU.

PS4 with CPU clocked lower had always better scores in CPU benchmarks than Xbox One for the same reason.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned

i reckon on closed box consoles, every drop of performance counts. and i recall an interview with sony about their smart shift dropping cpu clocks to drive the full power the gpu.

any case this developer is hardly the last word on tech specs talk. just more warring by gaming bolt on slightest of news

Last edited:

Concern

Just the use of the Hypervisor already add more overhead to CPU than what you have on PS5 so the MHz difference gives a difference in performance close to zero.

In fact if you look at how the CPU is utilized in a close to metal API you will start to believe the PS5 has the advantage in CPU due the DX12 overhead in CPU.

PS4 with CPU clocked lower had always better scores in CPU benchmarks than Xbox One for the same reason.

thank god youre here stephen root GIF by Barry

Finally a real engineer 🤣🤣

Lysandros

I have hard time understanding how such an obvious thing is a thread. As a reminder PS4 generally managed to run better or equal in CPU bound games/scenes despite Xbox One CPU's 10% higher frequency (1.6 Ghz to 1.75 Ghz). Comparatively, using to the word gap (in XSX's favor) for a mere 3% clock difference without even taking into account differences in I/O and APIs is just comical.

llien

Gap bigger than last gen 44%

You're welcome. In fact take a look at other posts in that thread where somebody was saying the gap would be minimal/negligible.
20% (30% when PS5 doesn't boost) of advantage is mentioned on TF side of things, both figures are reasonable.

Top Bottom