• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Audio Impressions (AV Surround System)

yurqqa

It’s in the PS5 settings. You can adjust speaker position as well.

Yes, but it's for DTS and Dolby Digital audio, like PS4 have.

New Tempest Engine is currently working only with the headphones (at least that was the plan and I saw no other info till now).

Although in the end the sound should still be in DTS for AV Receivers to support it and obviously Sony don't want to license Atmos.
I guess Tempest engine will be about generating DTS sound output for object-based sound.
I don't know how it'working now in games - should be similar technology, but maybe less complex.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes, but it's for DTS and Dolby Digital audio, like PS4 have.

New Tempest Engine is currently working only with the headphones (at least that was the plan and I saw no other info till now).

Although in the end the sound should still be in DTS for AV Receivers to support it and obviously Sony don't want to license Atmos.
I guess Tempest engine will be about generating DTS sound output for object-based sound.
I don't know how it'working now in games - should be similar technology, but maybe less complex.
3d audio and surround sound aren’t the same. He said there was no surround sound on PS5. There is.
If you want 3d audio on your PS5 through your speaker system you’ll have to use your receiver to process 3D audio for now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly I think it's very limited now and uses very few sources. I get feedback from friends that Demon's Souls is the best implementation yet. I would argue Ratchet & Clank is one of the early "good" implementations as I've experienced from the trailers. 7.1 remixed to 2.0 as 3D audio was so muffled and bad before latest update. Now it's much, much better for non-3D-audio titles.

Spider-Man MM 3D audio is decent but not mind-blowing. I think maybe by 2021 or 2022 we should see the full potential of using hundreds of sources but for PS5-only games. Multiplats will use it in a limited way which is good but not impressive.

FrankWza

Honestly I think it's very limited now and uses very few sources.

Pretty much what I meant when I said in the next gen thread about getting more consistent results from mixamp. It also frees up the usb to be used for mic only. There’s something up with the USB ports obviously. Hopefully fixable with a firmware update. I have also been unable to get spdif working but I only have 3 units and they’re all soundcards so it could be that a powered dac is needed. Maybe someone that has one can try? Could be useful for those with legacy audio and can’t or don’t want to pass through their tv but that would also occupy 2 USB ports vs 1 which is a negative. I got my Penrose in so I’m hoping these check all the boxes for me.

Top Bottom