• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Blu-ray version will be sold for $466 in Japan in November 14th

Bodomism

Banned
I think starting with the 360/PS3 era, Japanese gamers really kicked consoles to the curb. Not sure why since Japanese gamers had been big console buyers like the rest of the world generations before that. The rest of the world has a diverse set of gaming through console/PC and mobile, yet Japanese gamers seem skewed to mobile. Even Switch hasn't sold that great there and it's a hybrid console/mobile system.
On pace to pass 3DS LTD sales without any official price cut yet while 3DS received huge price cut on its first year.

Nintendo Switch is a beast

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On pace to pass 3DS LTD sales without any official price cut yet while 3DS received huge price cut on its first year.

Nintendo Switch is a beast
In the first 3 years of launch, 3DS sold about 16 million units in Japan.

In the same amount of time in Japan, Switch has sold about 13 million.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
In the first 3 years of launch, 3DS sold about 16 million units in Japan.

In the same amount of time in Japan, Switch has sold about 13 million.
14 million without any price drop and 3ds leg was starting to drop after 2013 while Nintendo Switch is about to overtake 3ds launch align at the end of this year.

Switch is tracking to sell more than 25 million units in Japan.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
14 million without any price drop and 3ds leg was starting to drop after 2013 while Nintendo Switch is about to overtake 3ds launch align at the end of this year.

My stats are launch aligned. After 3 years each 3DS sold more in Japan.

Also, by the end of it, 3DS sales were also 25 million in Japan as per my link.

So how is Switch dominating?

£349 for a PS5 no way. Also why would a Dualsense be cheaper RRP than a Dualshock.

Yep. To me, those prices are £50 - £100 too low.

I'd say: DE: £449, Disc: £499.

Also, Spider-Man for £29.99? Ha, doubt it. Unless it's an Infamous : First Light type affair - so, a shorter spin off.

Perhaps £39.99.

Wait. £100 difference for a Blu Ray drive? Get fucked if true.

Digital Foundry did a piece on the optical drive and figured it might only save $20 overall, due to Sony buying the components in the millions.

Now, I did have another thought: optical drives allow for gamers to loan games and buy second hand titles. Since loaning and selling isn't possible with the digital edition, those buying the optical version could potentially result in lower revenue. Therefore, to make up the potential short fall, Sony add £100 to the cost. I heard a long, long time ago that Sony makes £10 - £15 on the sale of a (new) physical copy of a game, so there could something there.

Probably totally wrong, though ;)

$399 for the All Digital Edition and $59 for the Dual Sense (cheaper than DS4?)
No way those are real. But if they are real holy moly. That's some competitive prices.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If true, Lockhart has to be like 199USD, not a dollar more. Good prices all around.

PlayVerso

I believe those prices, but that document seems FAKE, the launch of PS5 will be SIMULTANEOUS, there is no reason to sell PS5 a week before in Japan.

DonF

$25 for a stand? Better than apple I guess but still too much. I hope people design something great to 3d print as a replacement

Aidah

The source is total rubbish.
Anyway, for the sake of discussion, $399 for any PS5 would obviously be insane.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pretty much what I expected if true

Edit
Only thing that's off is there is £100 difference with the BD & Digital
And the same €\$100 difference
US Makes sense as you pay tax on top
But does Europe pay tax on top of that price?
Sorry I don't know, I know we have it included in the UK

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
For people wondering how it could be a $100 difference, it's not impossible that they could ameliorate the impact by people being restricted to the PS Store and sending more money straight to Sony. This is not new thinking, but to inject it into this conversation.

Whether they want a major revenue stream to be repurposed to fund a more approachable price remains to be seen, however, but its semi-plausible.

If they do end up there, though, it's the dream price point. At that point, every hardware decision makes absolute sense, and PS5 would deliver beautiful next-gen games for an accepted mainstream price.

That said, I'm going to wait for official word before getting too excited. This is prime write-fanfiction-and-pass-it-off-as-leaks season.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm on the side it seems too cheap, especially the all digital (even with a loss).

Honestly if they don't announce disc based Back Compatibility I would probably go all digital this gen as I have a stand alone UHD player. Game wise ive been all digital since the first few months of the PS4 launch.

Skyr

Pretty much what I expected if true

Edit
Only thing that's off is there is £100 difference with the BD & Digital
And the same €\$100 difference
US Makes sense as you pay tax on top
But does Europe pay tax on top of that price?
Sorry I don't know, I know we have it included in the UK
Yes EU has it included. Dude you barely brexited out and already forgot :p

Kokoloko85

Might get disc version based on what they say about BC.

Might go all digital as Ive been mostly digital this gen...
I will have to see

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
$399 for DE would be great, can't imagine that the XSX will have the same price though

450 quid sounds very reasonable and a hundred pounds off for the digital version is going to sell gangbusters.

Honestly if Sony haven't gone with this pricing, then they're asking for trouble.

cormack12

Gold Member
£349 for DE? I hope its true but that sounds like a reach. I'm all digital anyway so thats awesome for me. I just hope they keep the primary/secondary account thing going as it seems an easy thing to slice to jump the sales gap even more

I am expecting a $50 difference between both models. Why would they lose so much money on the digital edition when they'll sell everything they produce for many months ?

Bodomism

Banned
My stats are launch aligned. After 3 years each 3DS sold more in Japan.

Also, by the end of it, 3DS sales were also 25 million in Japan as per my link.

So how is Switch dominating?
3DS
Week 173 - 29.525 LTD 15.720.727
Switch
Week 173 - 78.428 LTD 13.956.514
Difference
2020-06-25-21-11-44.jpg

Switch will take the lead during holiday month and lead from there without any problem as 3DS momentum fell really hard after 2014.

Use latest info next time and please educate yourself.

Last edited:
I thought Sony would want that 399$ moment and guide consumers towards all digital console.

The prices look good anyway, but
that vertical stand is a bit expensive and should come with the console imo. But it's always been the same way that you have to buy Playstation stand separate.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I can see Sony reconsidering PS Vita successor, something that can hit current gen consoles requirements and play all the PS4 log as close as OG PS4.

I think it's doable with all the new AMD tech around.

Top Bottom