• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Blu-ray version will be sold for $466 in Japan in November 14th

If it's going to be as short as First Light, which you can platinum in 5 hours, Sony has more things to worry about with this game than the price.

I'd say it'll be like lost legacy which was alot longer and a lil bigger budget. Which thats all it really needs to be its not spiderman 2 its a bridge game. And even if its short last light style why would sony have to worry? Its still an exclusive game launching with the system and we all know damn well spiderman with have an enhanced patch or remaster with ps5 so it'll sell and people will play it. Not sure what trouble you speak of

Yeah and you pay your games day one 70$/€ vs 50-55$/€ in store... :)

You pay a taxe with digital. And of course no resale.
Well here in the states, games are the same price as physical day one. Also, everything I buy is digital so the "no resale" argument is moot to people who prefer digital over physical.

Last edited:
Why $466 though? Odd number.

Well, the SSD is 820GB, which is also an odd number. Start as you mean to go on 🙃

Thing is. If, and this is a big if, those prices are real, Sony is going to kill it from day one. It's possible they are well prepared to out compete MS on price. There could well be some more surprises to come next month, if this rumoured July event happens (or did I just make that up..?)

THE:MILKMAN

I assume that was just a straight conversion from Yen at the time.

ETA: Beat.

How about this for going all in on pricing? PS5DE $349 and PS5 at $399. Sony going aggressive. That would be a mic drop moment if they could pull it off.

Last edited:

Rikoi

Yeah and you pay your games day one 70$/€ vs 50-55$/€ in store... :)

You pay a taxe with digital. And of course no resale.
It's a filthy trap because sony loves single player games that will you be unable to resell after your 15 hours of gameplay.
If you can find a game for 50$ in stores you just need TWO games to make up for the disk reader price difference.
Digital: 140$ total spent, no chance to resell.
Physical: -100 for disks + 60 for resale = 40$ total spent.
You already saved 100$ with two games.

Last edited:
I think you use the same stand for both positions.

Maybe redeeming themselves in their homeland?

All people are throwing guesses around, then when something sticks they claim that they have insider info. It's interesting rumor/guess anyway, kinda makes sense.

Indeed, maybe it's an afterthought when they heard about Lockhart. Instead of downgrading critical specs, they only went with diskless and gambled on digital sales.

That's another point as well! And UHD Blu-rays to be precise.
Its not saying that cant care about japan now its that there current policies and antics need to go if they care about getting the jp audience. Same thing with there games out of all the games they shown what will the jp market buy GT7,Ghost wire tokyo "Timed exclusive",Capcom's new games "no release date", and Square "project athia" no release date GT7 would be the game that could some out 1st but its not a year 1 or 2 launch game going off the lack of info we got about it.

Prices for Digital and Disc Editions fall right in line with what I was thinking, and they're both great price points. I figure they're taking a loss on the Digital unit and selling the Disc one at a very slight profit and/or break-even point.

It's a smart pricing strategy, now I just hope they get the unit allocations between both units right to meet demand, though since the only real difference is the disc drives, I don't think someone who wanted a Disc PS5 would feel all that bad picking up a Digital PS5 instead (especially if a disc drive add-on were released later on anyway).

Gonna be interesting to see where Microsoft prices Series X/Series S in relation to this. IMHO Series S needs to be $200, $250 absolute maximum or it's DOA against a $399 Digital PS5 because, who wouldn't pay an extra $100 for a magnitude of power and performance jump between Series S and PS5 Digital?

More interesting is where it puts Series X; I still think $399 is too optimistic but for a variety of reasons $449 is actually a pretty realistic price point they can hit provided they don't mind taking a slight loss on units sold at most (they could possibly break-even at $449 in their case). I don't know if a $499 Series X does MS any favors considering a cheaper PS5 can be had for $100 less and there's the very real chance some would-be PS5 owners who can't pick up the Disc version might just option for the Digital PS5 if it's a choice between that and a $499 Series X.

AmuroChan

I'd say it'll be like lost legacy which was alot longer and a lil bigger budget. Which thats all it really needs to be its not spiderman 2 its a bridge game. And even if its short last light style why would sony have to worry? Its still an exclusive game launching with the system and we all know damn well spiderman with have an enhanced patch or remaster with ps5 so it'll sell and people will play it. Not sure what trouble you speak of

Because people are going to say why isn't this just DLC to the original game then? Why are PS4 owners left in the dust and forced to buy a PS5 to play a 5 hour Spider-Man DLC.

The internet already caused a ruckus when they found out this game wasn't a proper Spider-Man 2. People can find anything to scream about these days. Remember puddle-gate for the original game?

AmuroChan

Well perhaps, but the blu ray market has died on its arse (in terms of potential profits). Just because they are in a position to sacrifice a form of media doesn’t mean they can force it through before the market decides.

As I say, I could be entirely wrong, but I would be very, very surprised if the price difference between models was that significant.

This is business as usual for most big corporations trying to move the industry forward in a direction that's beneficial to them. If the difference is $100 between the two SKUs, I don't see how that's enough to pursue a lawsuit of any consequence. Governing bodies in capitalist countries are not going to micro-regulate how companies price their products. They'll let the free market work itself out.

Because people are going to say why isn't this just DLC to the original game then? Why are PS4 owners left in the dust and forced to buy a PS5 to play a 5 hour Spider-Man DLC.

The internet already caused a ruckus when they found out this game wasn't a proper Spider-Man 2. People can find anything to scream about these days. Remember puddle-gate for the original game?

I guess I see your point but then again sony did say they want exclusive games for the ps5 so its not like a bait and switch you know.

AmuroChan

I guess I see your point but then again sony did say they want exclusive games for the ps5 so its not like a bait and switch you know.

The bait and switch was the fact that they were not clear what this game was during the reveal. One Sony exec in an interview said it was an expansion of the first game. Then Insomniac had to come out and confirm that it was a standalone new adventure in the Spider-Man universe. So they kind of got off on the wrong foot already with this game. They really can't afford another misstep. If it turns out that this game is 5 hours long, the internet is going to explode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I believe the November 20th release date but I don't see Japan getting the console 6 days early. PS4 is at 10M in Japan while NA and Europe is much bigger so they won't release PS5 in Japan first. Same time? Absolutely but not first so I don't believe that.

I also don't believe the price. I see $500 and $600 for Digital/Disc editions. If Sony is truly spending $450 give or take to manufacture the console before packing, distribution and shipping, it's probably closer to $500 if not over. Even if you subtract the 4K Blu Ray Drive which costs a maximum of $30, I just don't see Sony losing money on either console.

I also believe that Sony putting the Disc Edition at $600 basically forces the vast majority to go with the Digital Edition which is what they want. So until they announce the price, I'll stick with my $500 and $600 predictions. Personally, im hoping the Disc Edition is $500 because that's the Edition im buying day one.

But we'll see. We'll know by September.

I was half joking in my last post about PS5DE at $349 and PS5 at $399 but I've just gone over ArmGunar's fantastic Sony FY20 financial forecast analysis and actually it might make sense!

The TLDR is this:

ArmGunar said:
So overall, we got ¥181bn Profit forecasted for FY20 with a $399 retail price, impacting Profits
And that's with conservative estimates for me

And Sony's forecast is between ¥160.1bn to ¥189.1bn Profits for FY20

It's safe to say that with $499 retail price for PS5 (with a cost of $500 for Sony, including production, packaging, distribution, etc...), Sony would break-even or maybe lose $10-20 per console and therefore, profits during Q3 and Q4 would have been much higher (at least ¥20bn higher in Q3 and ¥15bn higher in Q4)

A $499 retail price would give an Operating Forecast from ¥181bn ($1.66B) to at least ¥216bn ($1.98B)
That's a $300m Profits difference, really significant and much higher than their high-range forecasted (¥189.1bn)

Even being conservative with his figures he came up with numbers at the top end for profit (¥181bn) yet Sony's own figures range from ¥160bn to ¥189bn. So if we say the BD drive is a total saving of $30 on the BOM and we assume a $399 disc drive PS5 then the DE edition at $349 would mean a $20 additonal loss per console which would equate to $20 million per million units.

I think that would be possible...... Thoughts?

AmuroChan

I was half joking in my last post about PS5DE at $349 and PS5 at $399 but I've just gone over ArmGunar's fantastic Sony FY20 financial forecast analysis and actually it might make sense!

The TLDR is this:

Even being conservative with his figures he came up with numbers at the top end for profit (¥181bn) yet Sony's own figures range from ¥160bn to ¥189bn. So if we say the BD drive is a total saving of $30 on the BOM and we assume a $399 disc drive PS5 then the DE edition at $349 would mean a $20 additonal loss per console which would equate to $20 million per million units.

I think that would be possible...... Thoughts?

Possible. I also think they're waiting for MS to reveal their price first. Sony is in a position where they don't have to be super aggressive with their price. My guess is internally they want to price PS5 at $499/$399 for the two SKUs. If Series X is $499, I think Sony will go with $499/$399. The X factor is whether MS plans to undercut the PS5. If MS shoots for the moon and prices the Series X at $399. then the pressure goes back to Sony. Are they willing to take a loss on hardware and go with $399/$349 instead. It's a fascinating game of chicken that Sony and MS are playing.

baphomet

Possible. I also think they're waiting for MS to reveal their price first. Sony is in a position where they don't have to be super aggressive with their price. My guess is internally they want to price PS5 at $499/$399 for the two SKUs. If Series X is $499, I think Sony will go with $499/$399. The X factor is whether MS plans to undercut the PS5. If MS shoots for the moon and prices the Series X at $399. then the pressure goes back to Sony. Are they willing to take a loss on hardware and go with $399/$349 instead. It's a fascinating game of chicken that Sony and MS are playing.

There's 0 chance of a $399 Series X.

FUBARx89

I'll pay £450 for it with a disc drive all day long.

If MS announce a price next month I can see Sony following pretty soon after.

I say let them fight. Driving prices down is better for all of us. I think it is clear that Lockhart was always designed to be the cheapest next-gen console or be cancelled and the latest rumours seem to point to it getting the go ahead now possibly hence Jim Ryan's value, not price line. I do think they will use the PS5DE to try and minimise the price difference if needs be though.

Soulja

If these prices are accurate then Ms might as well not bother releasing the series x and this is coming from somebody who wants a series x over a ps5.

AmuroChan

There's 0 chance of a $399 Series X.

We'll find out (hopefully) in a month or two. The way Phil has been speaking in interviews, I don't think it's out of the picture. If you're just going to price the console in the traditional sense, then there's no real need to say things like he has the backing of his CFO to be agile with pricing.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
If these prices are accurate then Ms might as well not bother releasing the series x and this is coming from somebody who wants a series x over a ps5.

The series X? Why?

If you said the Series S, sure, then I'd kinda get where you're coming from, unless it's like $299

Arachnid

399 Digital ED is a steal .. obviously it is being sold at a LOSS but makes up by digital sales.

Excellent Price if true.
I'm also wondering...

What if you have an external bluray disk drive? Could you not just plug it into the PS5 to use disk based games?

Last edited:

Soulja

The series X? Why?

If you said the Series S, sure, then I'd kinda get where you're coming from, unless it's like $299

Because the ps5 is comparable to series x......and if the DE is £349 I can't see MS being able to release the series x at that price, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

TigerKnee

I really don't see Sony releasing it at this prince. I think $499 / $450. They can actually get away with $549 / $499. It will still sell like gangbusters.

hunthunt

Banned
$400 for the digital-only version sounds plausible, thats millions of people paying full price for Spiderman, Gran Turismo, Ratchet, and the versions of TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima and and shit ton of money for Sony without any loss on blurays and distribution.

I wont believe any rumours though.

sn0man

Prices for Digital and Disc Editions fall right in line with what I was thinking, and they're both great price points. I figure they're taking a loss on the Digital unit and selling the Disc one at a very slight profit and/or break-even point.

It's a smart pricing strategy, now I just hope they get the unit allocations between both units right to meet demand, though since the only real difference is the disc drives, I don't think someone who wanted a Disc PS5 would feel all that bad picking up a Digital PS5 instead (especially if a disc drive add-on were released later on anyway).

Gonna be interesting to see where Microsoft prices Series X/Series S in relation to this. IMHO Series S needs to be $200, $250 absolute maximum or it's DOA against a $399 Digital PS5 because, who wouldn't pay an extra $100 for a magnitude of power and performance jump between Series S and PS5 Digital?

More interesting is where it puts Series X; I still think $399 is too optimistic but for a variety of reasons $449 is actually a pretty realistic price point they can hit provided they don't mind taking a slight loss on units sold at most (they could possibly break-even at $449 in their case). I don't know if a $499 Series X does MS any favors considering a cheaper PS5 can be had for $100 less and there's the very real chance some would-be PS5 owners who can't pick up the Disc version might just option for the Digital PS5 if it's a choice between that and a $499 Series X.
I would be pretty surprised (shocked maybe) if we ever see a separate disc add on device released for this system.

SantaC

so how are they able to fit all that tech for 499? Neither zen 2 nor RDNA 2, plus the amazing SSD are cheap tech.

Last edited:

sn0man

It's an interesting one.

My day job is as a regulatory lawyer. Not a stealth brag; it's invariably dull and monotonous. I also work in financial payments rather than digital distrubution, so I could be well wide of the mark (and genuinely happy to be corrected). That said, there are basic principles that raise alarm bells.

Regulators (especially European ones) do not like companies using dominance in one market (console sales) to force through an advantage in another (digital distribution). That said, this isn't quite analogous, as obviously only Sony can sell the Playstation and the market it is taking on is not a direct competitor, rather an alternative form of distribution, being discs and the second hand market.

That said, what really *would* raise eyebrows is charging well over the odds for a technical component, being the disc drive, in order to entice consumers away from a genuine choice (being pysical or digital media) and locking them into Sony's digital platform. Regulators, depending on the day of the week and who has lobbied hardest, can (and this may come as a shock) sometimes protect consumers rather than big business.

As I said, I could be wide of the mark and perhaps the two markets have been established as sufficiently independent.

It would be a dick move on Sony's part though (although perfectly understandable).

that would be fascinating. I wonder if your consumer protection viewpoint is European centric. I’m a slightly more jaded entity and with a US background I don’t see consumer protection helping. I promise you I would love to be wrong. Hell I would prefer the two sku’s to be similar in price.

I think we are at a tipping point as though I’m a staunch defender/lover of physical game media I feel the sentiment here has gone completely toward apathy and/or digital preference (sometimes with hostility to physical media).

Kokoloko85

If they want to beat PS4 sales numbers than one of the PS5’s need to sell for 399. Simple.

If they dont care about numbers and money is more important than cool.

BlackTron

Plus, so far you can't borrow, sell your old games digitally. Maybe we will see something like that digitally with some sort of taxes/cuts for devs/Sony? That could be massive and make digital even more tempting.

kxyZ1w2.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This kind of speculation may backfire if not true as people will be unhappy if/when the actual prices are more.

Amazing prices if true though.

Personally, I'll get it even if $1000. But it's important for the console to be accessible by the masses to be successful. If the BOM rumored around $450, then it's possible to have even $450 disc and $350 discless with losses on both. Or have it at $500/$400 but bundled with spiderman game, as it already have a free game, Astro's Room, preinstalled in every PS5:

Having 2 games with the console vs no games for the same price would make even some interested in XSX to go PS5 first.

Last edited:

dcx4610

As expected, Sony WANTS you to buy the digital version. They are offering the disc version for the collectors and people with no choice. The incentive is to get people to go digital and this will probably work. Even though I buy my PS4 games digitally and I already have a 4K player, I'll get the disc version just to support 4K UHD and physical media. Also, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll offer backwards compatibility with PS3/PS4 discs.

Pimpbaa

Sweet, looks like I will be able to save myself 100 bucks (if this pricing is legit). I don't think I ever used the blu-ray drive in my ps4 pro.

GenericUser

So, lets do the math:

PS5 Console: €499
3D Headset: €179
Vertical Stand: €19.99
Cyberpunk 2077: €59.99
(hopefully) Dying Light 2: €59.99

€820

longdi

Banned
$399/499 is the logical srp to set.
But im concerned that Sony still remaining coy and Jim keeps warning about 'value'.
They did the same thing with PS3, so this could turn out to be $499/599.

Which is still fair with what you get, but surely bad bad PR. Consoles are held to different standards than phones 🤷‍♀️

Bo_Hazem

Banned

It's in Yen. Paying 500 Euros for $500 is also odd, as that translates to $560 USD.

For example, the PS4 release price here was 181 OMR, that translates into $470 USD. It vanished from stores within hours though as unofficial, gray market of US versions one month before was selling it for $1170 and you need to wait in queue to secure your preorder.

Last edited:
Top Bottom