• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Blu-ray version will be sold for $466 in Japan in November 14th

Hostile_18

Banned
As expected, Sony WANTS you to buy the digital version. They are offering the disc version for the collectors and people with no choice. The incentive is to get people to go digital and this will probably work. Even though I buy my PS4 games digitally and I already have a 4K player, I'll get the disc version just to support 4K UHD and physical media. Also, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll offer backwards compatibility with PS3/PS4 discs.

I'm in exactly the same boat in all respects. PS1-Ps3 back compat would be the dream. So many licensed games on the PS2 that will never see a re-release.

Even though I'm all digital PS4 and have a UHD player its in no ones interest for the physical market to die. That would lead to higher digital prices, lesser sales etc.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
If happens, will be via software, not native BC like PS4/PS5.

I can't get excited about none disc BC given the quality/amount of the "PS2 classics" we were given this gen.

I guess something is better than nothing but the PS3 had better emulation classics such as Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Deus Ex (2000), Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid etc.

Imagine how good it would be to buy any old game on ebay and it just worked in higher resolution on the PS5. I've got the Buffy and X Files games ready if that day ever comes!

Fake

I can't get excited about none disc BC given the quality/amount of the "PS2 classics" we were given this gen.

I guess something is better than nothing but the PS3 had better emulation classics such as Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Deus Ex (2000), Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid etc.

Imagine how good it would be to buy any old game on ebay and it just worked in higher resolution on the PS5. I've got the Buffy and X Files games ready if that day ever comes!

How can't you get excited with BC via software for PS1/PS2/PS3 in the same way Xbox One does with original Xbox?

Again, if really happens will be in that way. Otherwise we will get just PS4 via drive or Sony reselling PS4 games on PS Store.

Hostile_18

Banned
How can't you get excited with BC via software for PS1/PS2/PS3 in the same way Xbox One does with original Xbox?

Again, if really happens will be in that way. Otherwise we will get just PS4 via drive or Sony reselling PS4 games on PS Store.

Just going by how much effort they put into it this gen. Like there must be over a thousand PS2 games and we got like 20? And even those ones wernt the all time classics, no where close. I can understand licenced property games not making the cut but there was so much more they could of added. Even at the very least making available the classics that were and are still available on the PS3 would of been a good start. Id literally rather have Soul Reaver and Silent Hill 1 then every other ps2 classic they released on the PS4 combined.

Ideally if i was Sony I'd buy Blue Point and make that studio solely responsible for ports of classics. If you already have the disc its free but also the option to buy on the PSN as and when they are released. Basically a company with drive and passion for gaming classics that will actively seek out and work out licencee agreements, renegotiate where necessary and make it happen. 😊

Fake

Just going by how much effort they put into it this gen. Like there must be over a thousand PS2 games and we got like 20? And even those ones wernt the all time classics, no where close. I can understand licenced property games not making the cut but there was so much more they could of added. Even at the very least making available the classics that were and are still available on the PS3 would of been a good start. Id literally rather have Soul Reaver and Silent Hill 1 then every other ps2 classic they released on the PS4 combined.

Ideally if i was Sony I'd buy Blue Point and make that studio solely responsible for ports of classics. If you already have the disc its free but also the option to buy on the PSN as and when they are released. Basically a company with drive and passion for gaming classics that will actively seek out and work out licencee agreements, renegotiate where necessary and make it happen. 😊

I guess is a mix of bad administration and greed for others services. I mean, why even wasting time for make a mini PS1 anw?
They could resell PS1/PS2/PS3 games super easy by doing this. They already pay for secure the trademark of old games not leaving their plataform, so is a win to win.
The ideia of PS2 on PS4 was good, but the competation playing agressive on cloud era could be change their minds about that and abandom the ideia.

Tulipanzo

Yep. They keep repeating that over and over. They've said before that gamers will find the price appealing.

So, probably more like £499 for a DE and £549 for a disc.
I don't think people should be reading too much into those comments.

Thing is, if you're selling high-end electronics, you probably don't want your messaging to be around price.
There's several issues with that:
- It makes your console sound "cheap"
- People are still going to find it expensive anyway (you can see jokes about finally affording a PS4 under the PS5 video)
- It sets you up for failure if it's more expensive than people imagine

That's why it's better to talk about value, presenting your product as worth a lot of money
1) If it's expensive, people already have an image of a "valuable" system
2) If it's cheap, people will see it as an amazing deal on something they've been lead to believe would cost more

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think people should be reading too much into those comments.

Thing is, if you're selling high-end electronics, you probably don't want your messaging to be around price.
There's several issues with that:
- It makes your console sound "cheap"
- People are still going to find it expensive anyway (you can see jokes about finally affording a PS4 under the PS5 video)
- It sets you up for failure if it's more expensive than people imagine

That's why it's better to talk about value, presenting your product as worth a lot of money
1) If it's expensive, people already have an image of a "valuable" system
2) If it's cheap, people will see it as an amazing deal on something they've been lead to believe would cost more

And PS5 has already showed an expensive content unheard of yet in gaming. I'll take it at any price.

Game running in real-time on PS5 hardware

49996301136_2992070916_o.png

The Angry Birds Movie 2, CGI, pre-rendered

32386c9b5c5ee27b49d6ccf67846d069.jpg

You can't get there with a $5000 PC, you're not allowed to even dream with that ancient architecture. PS5 is pure sorcery.

Tulipanzo

And PS5 has already showed an expensive content unheard of yet in gaming. I'll take it at any price.

Game running in real-time on PS5 hardware

49996301136_2992070916_o.png

The Angry Birds Movie 2, CGI, pre-rendered

32386c9b5c5ee27b49d6ccf67846d069.jpg

You can't get there with a $5000 PC, you're not allowed to even dream with that ancient architecture. PS5 is pure sorcery.
Yeah, Sony's strategy here is to show a lot of cool titles, all seemingly rather far along and very nice-looking, before they reveal price.

Each company has some tight margins, they want to see just how tight they have to make them.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That's a pretty decent price..

Congratulations Sony.. looks like you've done it again!

SkylineRKR

I'm in exactly the same boat in all respects. PS1-Ps3 back compat would be the dream. So many licensed games on the PS2 that will never see a re-release.

Even though I'm all digital PS4 and have a UHD player its in no ones interest for the physical market to die. That would lead to higher digital prices, lesser sales etc.

Physical will always be an option, in the foreseeable future anyway. Thats why there is a PS5 disc version. But its not Sony's prefered way. Because with Digital they essentially sell directly to you, they lock you into their ecosystem and you can't borrow, resell or trade. Its a win for Sony.

Competition is good, and I think if games become too expensive on PSN the attach ratio is going to lower forcing them to do something about it anyway. There is only so much disposable income. In an ideal world every third party online platform is available on every system. On PC there are wars going on between Steam and Epic. Which can be console exclusive money hat levels of bad but also cause good deals and sometimes freebies (like Samurai Shodown on Epic for example).

I pretty much only buy digital when somethings on sale. Lots of those sales are good. New releases are too expensive mostly.

Last edited:

GetemMa

I thought a smaller price for the digital would piss people off.

And by the looks of this thread, I was right.

Charging $100 extra so people can "own" their games is a bad look to a lot of people.

I'll be getting digital though.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
While most people are going digital these days (I don’t own a single physical game this gen) I still enjoy having the disc drive for movies and wouldn’t want a console without one, and it’s a cheap add for the console maker.

I wonder if we will have a situation where people will call the digital edition of the PS5 the retard pack just like the 360 arcade back in the day? Lots of people still own disc based games and will need the disc drive for BC with PS4.

MastaKiiLA

I thought a smaller price for the digital would piss people off.

And by the looks of this thread, I was right.

Charging $100 extra so people can "own" their games is a bad look to a lot of people.

I'll be getting digital though.
It will piss off the fringe. Steam hasn't deterred PC gamers, as they buy games digitally en masse. I don't expect most consumers will even think twice about which version to get. Only the ones who have a vested interest in physical media will give it a long-hard look. I can't remember if game share was improved on PS4 (all my friends who had a PS4 already had the same games), but as long as that's still a thing with PS5, then the only reasons to have a physical drive would be if you want to play movies, or play the reseller market. There's another reason Sony and MS would want to promote digital sales, and it's because it makes the console stickier. It's not really that straight forward selling a game account, so once you have digital games on one, you'll be more likely to keep the system. I might be the rare exception that traded my console for a favor, and abandoned my digital collection of games because I lost access to the email inbox it was tied to. Luckily, I don't play old games, so I have no use for PS4 games anymore anyway.

When I had a PS3 or older system, I didn't always sell my games anyway. I threw out a box of old PS2 and GC games a few years back, because I chose to throw them in a box than be insulted by Gamestop with their criminally lowball offers for game exchanges. If Gamestop went under, I wouldn't shed a tear. Only ever went there out of absolute necessity. Digital stores have been a blessing.

Abear21

Banned
Disc version all the way for me, if I can get one, but this price seems suspect.

I highly doubt the digital version will be the same price as a PS4 pro, what sense does that make? Also, go on Amazon and try to buy a new PS4 and see the prices, shit I know it’s not the same thing, but try to buy a used PS3 and see the sticker shock.

I just don’t see the digital version being less that $500–UNLESS Sony reduces the pro and slim PS4 prices ahead of the launch. Simple supply and demand will tells me that’s unlikely. I hope I’m wrong

bender

What time is it?
$100 seems like a pretty big gap just for omitting the disc drive. I wonder if there are any other differences or if Sony thinks they can lose more up front on that model and make up with it because of increased profitability of digital.

I think I've used my disc drive once since I got PS4 Pro but I'd have a hard time wanting to limit my options.

Dabaus

Banned
I would’ve believed it had the global launch and japan launch been swapped. I still expect this to be the real price of the consoles though. I think itd be a huge mistake to miss out on the 399 price point.

Sony should run it like this:
249 ps slim or 299 to recoup some losses on the...
399 digital ps 5
499 4K blu ray Ps5

ZywyPL

Banned
Honestly, after everyone mentioning 499 for such a long time, I feel that Sony and MS have no other choice but to release the consoles at or close to that price point whether they like it or not.

Business

These prices are as good as we can dream so let's hope this is real.

I'm already 100% digital so I'd definitely go with the diskless version. That is unless a miracle happens and there's disk BC for PS1 PS2 and PS3, then I'm getting the disk version, but yeah, it's not happening.

mitchman

Gold Member
Suddenly the disc drive costs 100$.

Press any key of the keyboard to doubt.
As has been mentioned many times here and in the press, they can easily sponsor the digital version to keep the user buying everything from the store. USD $399/$499 where the DE is heavily sponsored makes business sense.

ZywyPL

Banned
The stand is extra? arrogant Sony is back

There's waaay too much risk for such moves, especially at the very beginning of a new generation, Sony cannot afford to release a console that cannot be used right out of the box, either the stand will be included in the bundle or the console will be able to stand/lay on its own.

Sony

Nintendo
100€ less only for a disc reader? Have no sense. Then if sony want to sell in loss just to push DD, fuck sony.

It's think it's quite a straightforward choise.
Price difference is overall 100 units (euro/dollar). The difference in price between physical and digital games on release is roughly 20 units (59.99 physical, 79,99 digital).
Buying +/- 5 games with a physical to digital price difference of 20 units is the break even point.

So I would never ever buy a discless console, unless I purely consume my games though a subscription model. In that case, digital console + PSNow is cheaper.

THE:MILKMAN

As has been mentioned many times here and in the press, they can easily sponsor the digital version to keep the user buying everything from the store. USD $399/$499 where the DE is heavily sponsored makes business sense.

Thing is this assumes that the reason for lowering the price is to snag more of the casual buyer. This demographic don't buy many games a year. To me the DE appeals to the hardcore gamer more especially if they are mostly digital already. It is hard to expect the masses to buy the DE and further expect them to buy enough games and give up all the other stuff too.

It will be interesting to see if the DE is just an option as Jim Ryan says or if it is simply a SKU to minimise the price gap to Lockhart.

Business

It's think it's quite a straightforward choise.
Price difference is overall 100 units (euro/dollar). The difference in price between physical and digital games on release is roughly 20 units (59.99 physical, 79,99 digital).
Buying +/- 5 games with a physical to digital price difference of 20 units is the break even point.

So I would never ever buy a discless console, unless I purely consume my games though a subscription model. In that case, digital console + PSNow is cheaper.

It should be taken into account you can buy PSN store credit for cheaper, I recently got a couple of 50eur cards for slightly less than 40eur each. So there's that too.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I would’ve believed it had the global launch and japan launch been swapped. I still expect this to be the real price of the consoles though. I think itd be a huge mistake to miss out on the 399 price point.

Sony should run it like this:
249 ps slim or 299 to recoup some losses on the...
399 digital ps 5
499 4K blu ray Ps5
That's what I'm thinking. 399$€ is the magical number of success and well-being. They should aim for that no matter what.

Top Bottom