• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 boss does not criticise Microsoft over Xbox developer ‘spending sprees’

ZywyPL

Banned
sureryan.gif

Oh the hypocrisy, he seem to forget where did his own studios came from, spoiler alert - most of them were independent studios that simply got bought. But what to expect from a guy who believes in generations ;)

Sony had tons of studios that provided variety of gamesand genres, but by the end of PS3 lifespan/beginning of PS4 they decided to put everything on one card that is cinematic TPP action games and got rid of every studio that wasn't suitable for such strategy, and now this decision is starting to strike back.

Kagey K

Banned
I’d agree with him, if he wasn’t touting all the money they threw around for “The Playstation Advantage”

You can’t get mad if you get beat at your own game.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
He sounds envious. Sony just can't compete with microsofts deep pockets, accept it Jim.

cycle-of-acceptance.jpg

Seems as if he is in phase three, "anger".

Sony has 40B in hands and could buy any publisher.

They just decided not to & expand WWS organically.

Pretty sure they'll acquire some studios though.

v_iHuGi

Banned
I'm not saying sony is poor, but microsoft is totally on another level:

compare the net income last quater:

G4US3Mf.jpg

Current sony would need 7 quarters (almost 2 years) to save the money, microsoft saves in one quarter.

That doesn't really mean much, AMD doesn't have 35B in hands & they just bought a company for 35B, Nvidia same & dropped 40B on ARM.

Bigger than any Microsoft acquisitions.

Sony would easily win the bid against Capcom & Square because of the Japanese Gov too, you can't just throw € at Japan like that.

But I see Sony acquiring private companies not public ones.

Last edited:

GenericUser

That doesn't really mean much, AMD doesn't have 35B in hands & they just bought a company for 35B, Nvidia same & dropped 40B on ARM.

See, I'm not a console warrior, but I think it is obvious which company has more sheer financial power. If Microsofts aquisition of bethesda turns out to be not worth it, they will probably just shrug it off and go back to business. If sony would spend such an amount of money (which they could I think), they have to make sure that purchase will be worth it. That's the difference. Sony has to rely on "organic growth" unless they are willing to risk the entire company by buying a really expensive studio/publisher.

Btw: I like sonys approach more. Microsoft just shits money on whatever they think will help them and calls it a day. It's been like that since the OG xbox.

Kagey K

Banned

Sony would easily win the bid against Capcom & Square because of the Japanese Gov too, you can't just throw € at Japan like that.

But I see Sony acquiring private companies not public ones.
This is the stupidest shit I read on the internet today.

You know the difference between buying a company and buying stocks, or paying cash vs financing debt, I hope.

LarknThe4th

Yes just how Sony organically entered into this industry in the first place, yes totally organic and not a super Corp coming in with a giant wallet and essentially finishing off Sega

Yep totally natural

Jim Ryan has been in this job for a bit and he always said stupid shit

This industry is built on people eating others lunch, look at how Nintendo courted and then trapped 3rd parties during their monopoly in the late 80s or how microsoft strong armed there way in, they all do it!!

timmyp53

I would’ve put money on it that if it were Sony who had bought ZeniMax, it would’ve been hailed as some groundbreaking, innovative deal that only Sony has the smarts to make.

Meanwhile they buy Insomniac who had a few years earlier just made a MS exclusive 👍
This argument would have made sense if Insomniac hadn't been making playstation exclusives for nearly 2 decades.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
We have a thread discussing the very interview being discussed in this article.

On Topic.
I dont think he is wrong, but even addressing the clickbait, basically Sony bought "smaller" studios and organically grew them over the course of effectively 2 generations into the powerhouse studios that they are today.

Microsoft hasnt had the luxury of smart leadership buying smaller studios during the Xbox/X360 generation then letting them grow with a budget.
Having realized the errors of their ways they are buying the studios now putting them under the XGS banner and hoping to have Sony Studios levels of talent by the end of the generation.

Effectively Sony was just ahead of the game with their tactics, nobody is the badguy in this, the article is just console war bait.

v_iHuGi

Banned
See, I'm not a console warrior, but I think it is obvious which company has more sheer financial power. If Microsofts aquisition of bethesda turns out to be not worth it, they will probably just shrug it off and go back to business. If sony would spend such an amount of money (which they could I think), they have to make sure that purchase will be worth it. That's the difference. Sony has to rely on "organic growth" unless they are willing to risk the entire company by buying a really expensive studio/publisher.

Btw: I like sonys approach more. Microsoft just shits money on whatever they think will help them and calls it a day. It's been like that since the OG xbox.

This is true, it would be more risky to Sony no doubt.

jhjfss

Didn't sony bid over a billion for all 5 subsidiaries of leyou only to lose out to tencent? Do they have a very close relationship with any of those studios?

This argument would have made sense if Insomniac hadn't been making playstation exclusives for nearly 2 decades.
Tell me, why does that even matter? Where does this arbitrary made up rule come in? They still made an Xbox exclusive just a few years ago so your point is invalid.

Did you know it was Xbox that helped Bethesda get their games on console in the first place?

Do your homework and learn some history.

sublimit

Banned
This thread is insultingly idiotic and click baity. It's the definition of spinning one person's words to make it appropriate for console wars. Which is no surprise since it's coming from Metro but it's a surpise that GAF has reached a new low by allowing people copy pasting shitty titles likes this one and still getting away with it.

5 years ago in this forum the OP would have been history 2 minutes after posting that crap.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Organic growth?

The only grassroots Sony studios making big games are PD with Gran Turismo and Sony Santa Monica with God of War.

Every other big franchise comes from a studio they bought the past.

ND
Media Molecule
Guerrilla
Insomniac
Sucker Punch
And not that long ago Evolution for racing games

Yes, but how many of those studios were massively successful AAA studios before they were with Sony? They grew into that after Sony bought them.

This thread is insultingly idiotic and click baity. It's the definition of spinning one person's words to make it appropriate for console wars. Which is no surprise since it's coming from Metro but it's a surpise that GAF has reached a new low by allowing people copy pasting shitty titles likes this one and still getting away with it.

5 years ago in this forum the OP would have been history 2 minutes after posting that crap.

Thread whining, however, has always been bannable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beardsalt

sureryan.gif

Oh the hypocrisy, he seem to forget where did his own studios came from, spoiler alert - most of them were independent studios that simply got bought. But what to expect from a guy who believes in generations ;)

Sony had tons of studios that provided variety of gamesand genres, but by the end of PS3 lifespan/beginning of PS4 they decided to put everything on one card that is cinematic TPP action games and got rid of every studio that wasn't suitable for such strategy, and now this decision is starting to strike back.
Strike back as in selling more then your competition by more then 2 folds? 🤔

Elias

Didn't sony bid over a billion for all 5 subsidiaries of leyou only to lose out to tencent? Do they have a very close relationship with any of those studios?

They did indeed, he's just salty they don't have the pockets to make purchases on MS's level.
He’s basically right, Microsoft should focus on building their own studios, not deplatforming others. Phil Spencer had failed on that he’s lucky he has the largest wallet
What is "organic" about trying to buy Leyou, genius? Also, MS is building up their own studios "organically" (The initiative, Compulsion

devilNprada

This is the stupidest shit I read on the internet today.

You know the difference between buying a company and buying stocks, or paying cash vs financing debt, I hope.
Lol companies take on debt to buy other companies everyday.. Very little companies these days have cash on hand.. Where have you been?

thelastword

Banned
Jim is right of course, but he never directly criticized Microsoft, he only specified the method in which many PS Studios have been forged and transformed over the years to the juggernaut studios that they are today....

Many people are saying some of these studios were bought, but Guerilla made pretty much PS games, Insomniac, Sucker Punch and many others which are now in the stable. If Sony buys Bluepoint, RAD, Kojima or Quantic Dream.....There's not too much of culture that needs to be learned because Sony has worked with these Studios for years, they know the Sony culture...

Yet I think Jim Ryan is saying something more here........Most of these studios have not stayed stagnant, they have grown immensely over the years and even improved their graphical and gameplay output, their quality out put has improved massively and so has their consistency. Look at Sucker Punch or Japan Studio or the Ambition with Media Molecule, look at Insomniac with Spiderman. Yet what is also a clear point is that many of the studios are so massive, that some Studios have two teams, like ND. Guerilla has more than one Studio and Santa Monica is huge and helps smaller developers with many projects in tandem. They have invested internally in these studios rather than going on a studio shopping spree.....It bodes well because people already used to the Sony culture makes for better teams.....It's one thing to have a big director name from a studio, he may go elsewhere but never really shine or gel, look at Corey Barlog when he left Sony, Jaffe still has not recovered, Now Corey just seems happier, his support team is great and he hit out the park straight away on return.....It's not about this guy used to work at ND he is a big name, it's about the studios synergy and Sony's allowance of varied projects, varied game visions, taking risks and supporting the growth of their developers and the developers all the way through....

Top Bottom