• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 boss does not criticise Microsoft over Xbox developer ‘spending sprees’

If i get banned for pointing how bad this thread and its title is then let it be so. I wouldn't want to be in a forum where threads like this one is the new standard.

You can ignore the thread or continue acting like a baby and running interference to obfuscate from Jim Ryan saying stupid shit again. Your call.

ZywyPL

Banned
Strike back as in selling more then your competition by more then 2 folds? 🤔

That was carried solely by the 399$ price tag, nothing else, which isn't happening this time around mind you, while the said exclusives were released in 2017-2020, they sold well because of how much userbase was already there, not the other way around.

That's Business! As a company your goal is always to grow and improve your offerings and products, and that's why Microsoft will aquire alot more Studios and IP's in the future to improve the XBox Ecosystem.

sublimit

Banned
You can ignore the thread or continue acting like a baby and running interference to obfuscate from Jim Ryan saying stupid shit again. Your call.
Thanks for your concern lol. I have ignored many similar troll threads from fanboys like you in the past but thanks for your advice anyway.

Your hatred for anything Sony related is well known so it's no wonder that you'd love to see people judge Jim Ryan for something that he never did or said.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern lol. I have ignored many similar troll threads from fanboys like you in the past but thanks for your advice anyway.

Your hatred for anything Sony related is well known so it's no wonder that you'd love to see people judge Jim Ryan for something that he never did or said.

lol hatred for anything Sony? I'm playing my Vita, which I voted for best handheld ever on here, right now.

You started thread whining and got called out, instead of just ignoring and moving on you double down. Pathetic.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Microsoft also had a very good working relationship with Bethesda. Oblivion was a timed xbox exclusive and worked much better on the 360 than PS3. They've always worked well together. Now of course, nobody said they had to go out and buy the whole damn publisher...but that what you do when you want to compete and time is a factor.

EDIT:
I should add that it's the smarter thing to do as well. Imagine if you had to make a studio from scratch (which they are doing with The Initiative). It's a high risk potentially low reward situation. The studio could flop their first game. The what, Microsoft goes back to the drawing board. I think they got tired of people saying they have no games, so they did something about it. In the fastest, most impactful way possible. Even then we still gotta wait for the final agreements to be honored and so the upcoming games will go to other platforms most likely, but they laid the foundation to begin making some really great experiences for their fans.

How can you blame them for trying to thrive?
I think Sony's method is a middle ground. They work with a Studio as a publisher for games and if they are a cultural fit and have the skills they then look to acquire them. I think this is their definition of organic. MS buying a whole publisher is a different beast, but a move I think they had to make because going down the Sony route would have taken them years.

Beardsalt

That was carried solely by the 399$ price tag, nothing else, which isn't happening this time around mind you, while the said exclusives were released in 2017-2020, they sold well because of how much userbase was already there, not the other way around.
Nothing else huh?
I think you underestimate those cinematic type of games. These are the games that are winning awards and selling millions of copies!
And for you people that say sales don’t matter, well that’s just plain stupidity and ignorance. These corporations don’t give a damn about any of you, they want you to spend your money on their product, that’s what a business does and expects!
Also, you fail to realize that some of Xbox’s best exclusives are also Third Person like Gears, Quantum Break and Dead Rising 3(for a bit) just to name a few!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Only Xbox PR spends its time talking about its competitors. They have too, losers focus on winners.

Is this the same guy?

Mnvxeu7.jpg

To be fair though, obvious click bait article.

This meme would work if the PS5 had the same UI as the PS4, the same controller, or hell, no next gen first party exclusives. But hey, it doesn’t need to work for Xbox fans to run with it. It’s the idea you see 😂 the projection is off the charts

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I couldn't agree more.

Everyone there and you included need to apply at Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

Azurro

Banned
I couldn't agree more.

What a turd of an article, it takes a couple of small quotes out of context and the rest is a poorly supported opinion piece that puts words in the mouth of the subject of his article.

Kokoloko85

Organic growth?

The only grassroots Sony studios making big games are PD with Gran Turismo and Sony Santa Monica with God of War.

Every other big franchise comes from a studio they bought the past.

ND
Media Molecule
Guerrilla
Insomniac
Sucker Punch
And not that long ago Evolution for racing games

Dont you understand the difference? Between MS Buying a company that is multiplatform and never done an exclusive with there platform like Ninja Theory and Bethesda.

To Sony doing a few exclusives with a studio,, having a working relationship with them and then buying them?

Sony bought Insomniac after years of being like a 2nd party studio. Many Ratchet and Clanks and then buying them

MS bought Ninja Theory after Ninja Theory done 2 exclusives with Playstation, Heavenly Sword and Hellblade.

Theres a difference and its not hard to understand......

Allandor

Dont you understand the difference? Between MS Buying a company that is multiplatform and never done an exclusive with there platform like Ninja Theory and Bethesda.

To Sony doing a few exclusives with a studio,, having a working relationship with them and then buying them?

Sony bought Insomniac after years of being like a 2nd party studio. Many Ratchet and Clanks and then buying them

MS bought Ninja Theory after Ninja Theory done 2 exclusives with Playstation, Heavenly Sword and Hellblade.

Theres a difference and its not hard to understand......
yes, there is a difference.
One publisher publishes on multiple devices, so even after years the devices are no longer in production you can still play the game (=> PC) and the other makes only exclusives (with a few exceptions in the current year).

You can also see it this way, Sony buys a studio after the studio itself has successfully implemented new IPs on the market at their own risk. And when they are successful enough and get money problems (because the projects are to big (like AAA titles tend to) to lift it themselves, they buy the studio at a cheap price.

Same result, different view ;)

Humdinger

Sony cannot afford to play the same game MS is. This is David and Goliath, financially, except without the happy holy ending.

MS spent one-eighth the value of Sony on the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition. Let that sink in for a second. MS didn't hesitate to write a check for one-eighth the entire value of Sony (not Playstation; all of Sony). MS has magnitudes more financial resources and latitude than Sony does. Sony just cannot compete in this manner.

It's fortunate for MS, because they don't seem to be able to cultivate studios internally, the way Sony can. Sony has a culture that somehow creates very talented studios from within. MS has never had that, and in fact their history has been one of ruining studios more than helping them thrive (e.g., Lionhead, Rare, etc.). So this is really their only option -- spend billions in order to acquire good studios that they cannot build themselves. If MS were not the massively rich corporation they are, they would have been dead in this market a long time ago.

cireza

Banned
You are aware that Sea of Thieves is a great game and has great success ? What about studios like The Coalition or Turn10 ? Are these failures as well ?

How well is Japan Studio doing ? Should we talk about the studio that was making Wipeout games ?

It seems to me that things are quite the same on both side, except for people who look at this with their favorite fanboy glasses for either company.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sony cannot afford to play the same game MS is. This is David and Goliath, financially, except without the happy holy ending.

MS spent one-eighth the value of Sony on the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition. Let that sink in for a second. MS didn't hesitate to write a check for one-eighth the entire value of Sony (not Playstation; all of Sony). MS has magnitudes more financial resources and latitude than Sony does. Sony just cannot compete in this manner.

It's fortunate for MS, because they don't seem to be able to cultivate studios internally, the way Sony can. Sony has a culture that somehow creates very talented studios from within. MS has never had that, and in fact their history has been one of ruining studios more than helping them thrive (e.g., Lionhead, Rare, etc.). So this is really their only option -- spend billions in order to acquire good studios that they cannot build themselves. If MS were not the massively rich corporation they are, they would have been dead in this market a long time ago.
It's not a matter if what Sony can afford. Sony has purchased studios to lock up future exclusive content as well. They just went on their shopping spree a few generations ago before people stopped buying all of their non Playstation products, something that people on this forum said Microsoft should also be doing. Heck, along the way Sony has even killed some really great studios after they purchased them. RIP Evolution.

Jim Ryan's statement is salty. It's funny and he deserves ribbing for it.

Tiamat2san

This thread is a perfect illustration of why baiting articles get written; it just instigates argument regardless of whether there's any substance at its heart or not.
That and the fact most people only read the title of the articles and believe it.
Everything is like social media nowadays.

mckmas8808

Banned
Didn't sony *just* buy Insomniac? They also bought most of their other first party studios, like guerrilla, media molecule, naughty dog, etc.

That's organic growth. They worked with those companies FOR YEARS, before buying them. They had close relationships with them. ND, MM, Guerrilla, and Insomniac for literal years had only made Playstation games before being bought. That's the point.

But of course you already knew that. :-/

Someone should remind him that sony bought Naughty dog, insomniac, Guerilla, media molecule, evolution studios, Bigbig studios, sucker punch and im sure I forgot some.

Oh but yeah, buying is bad....

Cant wait for the ponies reaching for excuses on this one

Last edited:

ToadMan

See, I'm not a console warrior, but I think it is obvious which company has more sheer financial power. If Microsofts aquisition of bethesda turns out to be not worth it, they will probably just shrug it off and go back to business. If sony would spend such an amount of money (which they could I think), they have to make sure that purchase will be worth it. That's the difference. Sony has to rely on "organic growth" unless they are willing to risk the entire company by buying a really expensive studio/publisher.

Btw: I like sonys approach more. Microsoft just shits money on whatever they think will help them and calls it a day. It's been like that since the OG xbox.

You’re not comparing like for like here.

MS is indeed cash rich and they need to invest that cash to make a return. MS doesn’t have 135bn cash - they have about 35bn cash (with 7.5 designated for zenimax) and the rest is in “short term” investments which are highly liquid - that’s to say they can convert to cash quickly. MS don’t keep cash on hand like that because they want to make a return on the money.

Gaming isn’t a core business for MS and it doesn’t seem to be profitable at the moment either - there’s a decent chance gaming is a loss for them while they’re investing in 2 new consoles and gamepass market growth.

For Sony, PS is their single largest source of revenues - it generates about the same as the next 2 largest revenue streams. So it is their core business and they’re more inclined to protect and invest in that sector.

Sony are serious about gaming because they can’t dip and out - they need to make it work.

So one should compare MS cash for a developing but as yet undeveloped market vs Sony looking at the market as a core business. We’ve seen a spotty strategy from MS when it comes to the game sector - that’s the benefit of lots of cash, they can dabble and pull out without too much trouble. It also means they’re not as committed to making it work as a colony fully invested is...

Sony and MS aren’t companies on the same scale. MS’s problem is if they want to spend big on gaming they need show investors that’s a better place for the money than other sectors like business software or cloud or whatever.

In my opinion MS can’t do that - gaming is not an ROI growth sector on the scale MS needs.

For that reason I believe gaming will always be a non core sector for MS but if they should go crazy and put yet more money into it they’ll need to start making the earnings (or indeed losses) clear or investors will get cold feet.

Last edited:
Didn't sony *just* buy Insomniac? They also bought most of their other first party studios, like guerrilla, media molecule, naughty dog, etc.
Organic growth means slow and steady. That's what Jim means. Sony acquired their Studios over the years. They picked them small and grew with them.

ZywyPL

Banned
That's organic growth. They worked with those companies FOR YEARS, before buying them. They had close relationships with them.

So the same way as MS worked closely with Bethesda/Zenimax since X360, so I think it's safe to say it was an organic acquisition then.

Hezekiah

Banned
I'm not saying sony is poor, but microsoft is totally on another level:

compare the net income last quater:

G4US3Mf.jpg

Current sony would need 7 quarters (almost 2 years) to save the money, microsoft saves in one quarter.
I have to say that buying the likes of Insomniac for $227m is much better value for Sony than something like the Zenimax deal. Expanding the likes of Guerilla and Santa Monica will work out to be much economical, and probably a better guarantee of quality aswell.

Elias

Only Xbox PR spends its time talking about its competitors. They have too, losers focus on winners.

This meme would work if the PS5 had the same UI as the PS4, the same controller, or hell, no next gen first party exclusives. But hey, it doesn’t need to work for Xbox fans to run with it. It’s the idea you see 😂 the projection is off the charts
It "works" because Xbox has more next gen only games announced than Sony despite them "believing in generations".

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is that why they, according to the rumors, are buying some niche anime studio for one billion dollars?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY developing studious is commendable, Microsoft will still be second even if they acquire giants like Elder Scrolls it's because SONY developers set the bar high, remember Rare? What happened when Microsoft acquired Rare? They folded like a lawn chair in a elderly community, it was the end of Rare and shows Microsoft buries developers they acquire.
tumblr_osjkvlxOq31tqjisao4_r1_400.gifv

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
How can we make this unrelated thing related?

"Sony has thrown shade at Microsoft’s attempts to increase its stable of first party developers, with CEO Jim Ryan claiming that PlayStation studios are, ‘the fruit of, not massive spending sprees, but of very, very steadily, carefully planned organic growth’.

How is it not related?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's so blatantly obvious he's referencing Microsoft there I don't know why anyone would deny it.. was obvious to me when I read the interview yesterday.

Not saying the article isn't clickbait; but they aren't entirely wrong.. I don't know if it's "shade" but it's Sony comparing their differences to Microsoft and making subtle reference to them... and he's certainly using language that suggests their method is better.. so I guess "throwing shade" isn't even inaccurate. Both sides do this all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom