• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 coming at the end of 2020 according to analyst: high-spec hardware for under $500

Shin

Banned
Following the release of Sony’s financial results a few days ago, analysts are starting to look at the next generation which will come with PS5 or whatever Sony Interactive Entertainment will call its new console.

Among them is Ace Research Institute Analyst Hideki Yasuda, who is well known in Japan for his analysis and predictions focused on the gaming market. He recently published his own quarterly analysis of Sony’s business.
Yasuda-san expects the PS5 to be released at the end of 2020. He also assumes that the pace of sales of the new console will be similar to that of PS4.
According to Yasuda-san’s prediction, the new hardware will be a high-spec console priced at less than $500. Multiple AAA titles will also accompany its launch and support sales.

That being said, he refrains from making further predictions on sales, as the Ace Research Institute believes that the trends of a console’s success will be influenced by design and style.
That’s why predicting sales precisely is not possible before the PS5 is officially unveiled. Interestingly, just a few days ago we saw a patent registered by Sony that could indicate the presence of backward compatibility features in future hardware.

Credit: Twinfinite

Personal note: most of this is covered/broken down in 2 other threads.
Only posting this as every article I've come across holds Yasuda in the utmost high regard so his prediction is of significance, that is the takeaway here.

Shin

Banned
Don't be surprised if MS and Sony have a $499.99 system.
You'd might be surprised how effective 99 or 95, the difference can be as big as A sale or a customer walking away.
As for the potential price point I think it's fine and it's time the console space move a bit forward and not be anchored $99-399.
While people don't count it this way and only see the big number they have to fork out at the time of purchase or the build up to it, broken down by days/months/weeks and even all the add-ons and services considered it's still quite the affordable entertainment that lasts longer than a movie or song or phone IMO.

Verdanth

Not gonna say that the price is on point, because if we start to say that, well that's the price we will get.

For the release window, well perfectly fine by me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You'd might be surprised how effective 99 or 95, the difference can be as big as A sale or a customer walking away.
As for the potential price point I think it's fine and it's time the console space move a bit forward and not be anchored $99-399.
While people don't count it this way and only see the big number they have to fork out at the time of purchase or the build up to it, broken down by days/months/weeks and even all the add-ons and services considered it's still quite the affordable entertainment that lasts longer than a movie or song or phone IMO.
Ya.

How many industries are there where people are some reason pigeon holed into price like "max $399" for 20 years?

Just about everything goes up price, yet some reason game consoles have to stay at $399.......

....... then said gamer goes and buys a $500+ cell phone when the first phones that came out in the late 90s could be had for $99 with a 2 year plan. And that sports ticket that was $40 in 1999 is probably $200. No problem, I'll buy it.

I remember going to a concert in the 80s. Price $20. I bet that same quality seat is at least $200 now.

Last edited:

kaczmar

Man a $499 console tied to a $40 per year subscription would really need to impress me on some level. Performance isn't the reason why I game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
bet's on $499.

God knows what in Australia.
Here is Canada, that would be $649 (about +30% currency)..... although MS seems to have bitten the bullet where X's in the US going for $500, only resulted in a Canadian price of $600.

Add in a couple more $100 and it's Neo Geo territory.

I think Sony sticks with 399 for a 10TF 16-24GB RAM setup as that price has had great results for them. MS will probably go for 12TF 24GB RAM for 499, possibly with SSD if prices come down this year.

Look if it takes $500 bucks to have a solid console im all for it. Why do people want $400 forever especially if that gives us underpowered HW. IMO $500 in todays world sounds absolutely acceptable. This is not 2006 anymore. Your phones are probably twice that price.

chinoXL

agreed my man...if its a great package i will gladly drop 500 on it...for people complaining/worrying about price, start stacking them pennies up, you have more than a year!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why do people want $400 forever especially if that gives us underpowered
Because console gamers act poor as fuck and expect the moon for $399........ and then go and buy new iPhones, eat out every day, and do Starbuck runs in the afternoon...... and that's after they pay for microtrans, map packs, EA Ultimate Cards and other garbage. $100 for better specs is like a gold mine of money, then it's spent on cruddy gaming content.

I bet a gamer complaining about spending an extra $100 (or $20 for 5 years worth), can save $100 in a month just by eating out less. And if they did that, there's your $100.

Last edited:

dolabla

Hell, I'd pay $600 for a beast of a console. Just give me something that is going to be amazing with backwards compatibility. Same with Xbox.

Ar¢tos

Yeap.

$399 12FTs 8xZen2 16GB

I just hope it come early... March 2020 ;)
+/- my prediction, except I predict 16gb + 8gb and better secondary ARM cpu than the PS4 one (15gb fast ram for games + 1gb fast ram and 8gb cheap ram for os + DVR).
March might be a bit too early.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Bless these analysts for plucking dates out of thin air. This one said last August PS5 might be late 2019 but put the proviso of parts shortages and now 6 months later changes to a year later.

They can never be wrong!

That's what they did with the ps3, "under $600" because $599, get it?

If the new chipsets are as good as they say, and $400 5 years ago gave usJaguars, I find it hard for $40£ to be the starting Prince unless you go 360 arcade/core route and include nothing in the cheapest version.

Raven117

Gold Member
I’d happily pay 500 bucks for a console if they can justify the price.

To me, it is silly how price sensitive gamers are.

Rayderism

Well, it will come when it comes. It's not a question of IF I'll buy it, but WHEN I buy it, and that will be determined solely on the level of BC it has. I know there are a lot of people who don't care about BC, but I do. If it actually plays ALL Playstation systems out of the box (doubtful), then I will not be concerned with the price they ask for it and will buy it right away. But if it's only PS4 BC, or they make it complicated to have BC, then it will be a while before I buy into it, and I'd be less willing to shell out a big price for it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
$500 is reasonable.

However, if they want to go the cellphone route they ought to have a discount model with a required subscription.

I’d happily pay 500 bucks for a console if they can justify the price.

To me, it is silly how price sensitive gamers are.

Only for hardware. Games, season passes, skins, microtransactions thats all good. Justified even. A gaming machine thats supposed to provide you a purchase of next 5 years and give you games such as God Of War on that limited hardware....bitch better not be $500 or Ill moan on twitter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only for hardware. Games, season passes, skins, microtransactions thats all good. Justified even. A gaming machine thats supposed to provide you a purchase of next 5 years and give you games such as God Of War on that limited hardware....bitch better not be $500 or Ill moan on twitter.
I wonder how many of the groaners are also the ones who pay $200 for Call of Duty Collector's Pack with RC Drone.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Speculation...I'd say $399 is the sweet spot to be really competitive. However if PS5 can bring some extra value then I'd be willing to spend $500. That comes in the form of maybe their streaming capability, BC...etc. I don't include things like exclusives because at this point it's safe to say Sony will have that in spades. As far as we know are they just doing 1 SKU?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Speculation...I'd say $399 is the sweet spot to be really competitive. However if PS5 can bring some extra value then I'd be willing to spend $500. That comes in the form of maybe their streaming capability, BC...etc. I don't include things like exclusives because at this point it's safe to say Sony will have that in spades. As far as we know are they just doing 1 SKU?
I think it's time MS and Sony released 2-3 models. Different power and a streaming box. Launch all at the same time and let gamers decide. As long as the core experience is the same, its a win for everyone..... except Digital Foundry fanboys nitpicking as they will downplay anyone buying the weaker/cheaper model.

PCs, tablets, phones all have a million specs and configs and seem to play games (SP and against each other) all fine even though some people have better rigs.

So why can't Xbox or PS have a couple systems launching that are a bit different. This will cut out mid gen refreshes as MS or Sony can stick to 2-3 models for 5-6 years solid instead of a new model every 3 years.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Because console gamers act poor as fuck and expect the moon for $399........ and then go and buy new iPhones
Kaz said we needed to get 2 jobs for that beasty PS3 when thinking about getting A job is like kryptonite to some :messenger_smirking:
Also you caught me red handed ya damn stalkerererererer, how am I going to afford dat overpriced $500 box with parts from 2015 now :messenger_face_screaming: /S

9ba203810d.png

Last edited:
399 is stupid these days for a next gen machine. Console gamers whinge about the price and then whinge a year later when the hardware is crap.

rəddəM

Full HDMI 2.1.
Better thermals and silent fan.
Extra CPU juice.
For an extra U$50 and we're golden.
U$450 is the sweetspot.
It won't be 500 but it won't be a 400 weak jet engine Laptop CPU that won't get 60fps box.
We all win.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would I be surprised when MS' midgen upgrade cost that much?
Because even though I don't think X's are selling like gangbusters, it's not like MS is bargain binning it. Only now has an article said they are lowering the price by $50. So for over a year, they stuck to $500.

If they are hard on $500 now, the chances of a high end system (not the rumoured cheap streaming box) being $400 is probably zero chance.

Vawn

Banned
Because console gamers act poor as fuck and expect the moon for $399........ and then go and buy new iPhones, eat out every day, and do Starbuck runs in the afternoon...... and that's after they pay for microtrans, map packs, EA Ultimate Cards and other garbage. $100 for better specs is like a gold mine of money, then it's spent on cruddy gaming content.

I bet a gamer complaining about spending an extra $100 (or $20 for 5 years worth), can save $100 in a month just by eating out less. And if they did that, there's your $100.

Uh... if we eat out less and buy less junk food, how are we supposed to maintain our stereotypical overweight, lazy gaming bodies?

Think before you post bruh.

Shin

Banned
Full HDMI 2.1.
Extra CPU juice.
U$450 is the sweetspot.
It won't be 500 but it won't be a 400 weak jet engine Laptop CPU that won't get 60fps box.
We all win.

Some years ago someone from either MS or Sony said that HW doesn't make them as much money (I think it was Andrew House).
Platform holders should eat a bit of loss if need be to put out a sustainable box that will last because they got their hands in so many pockets and are constantly profitable.
Plus if this turns out to be true then they'd be making profit or selling at cost instead of losing - https://pastebin.com/7BPxh45h

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Full HDMI 2.1.
Extra CPU juice.
U$450 is the sweetspot.
We all win.
I don't know how much specs an $50 gets you. But whether it's $50 or $100 more for PS5, people got to remember that money is not the same as a PC part.

Console devs typically sell their systems at around breakeven. So that $50-100 is basically sunk right into better specs. A PC part someone buys at a store has it marked up already through the retailer and probably a wholesaler too. And then all the packaging. That GPU that costs $100 more than another one is probably more like $60 worth of actual costs.

A PS5 going from $400 to $500 isn`t $100 more specs. Probably more like $150 more specs (at retail prices). How much more powerful $150 worth of parts is I don`t know though.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think it's time MS and Sony released 2-3 models. Different power and a streaming box. Launch all at the same time and let gamers decide. As long as the core experience is the same, its a win for everyone..... except Digital Foundry fanboys nitpicking as they will downplay anyone buying the weaker/cheaper model.

PCs, tablets, phones all have a million specs and configs and seem to play games (SP and against each other) all fine even though some people have better rigs.

So why can't Xbox or PS have a couple systems launching that are a bit different. This will cut out mid gen refreshes as MS or Sony can stick to 2-3 models for 5-6 years solid instead of a new model every 3 years.

Here's my theory. PS5 will release a version to compete at every level Microsoft is except for the streaming box. So they'll have an Anaconda-esque release. Then they'll have a base PS5 that's more palatable for those looking for that $399 price point. I seriously doubt they are gonna do the Lockhart level $250 box. They are not going to start a generation with DF continuing to talk about how Xbox has the better performance. Either it's equal, negligible difference or better on PS5.

Imtjnotu

$449
Zen 2 3.8ghz
15tf Navi gpu
24gb gddr6
NVMe 8tb ssd
Psvr 2 headset with two 55 inch screens for each eye
Hdmi 5.0
Coolant radiator
400ft/lbs of torque.

Shin

Banned
doubt they are gonna do the Lockhart level $250 box.
They have the knowledge when it comes to streaming and Sony is more "suits" than it ever was so even 0.01ct profit matters.
R&D wise it wouldn't cost them anything extra and the box would even save them on a disc drive and cooling solution, etc etc.
If anything I'd say that it would most likely be their or MS most profitable box when all is said and done, it's for those people that casually game.
A 3 tier plan is a better one than a single or double as someone is most likely feeling it's not worth it or too expensive with options lacking.

While we won't know until PlayStation reveal their plans if Lockhart turns out to be true then more power to MS for being visionary.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’m going in at £449.99

I think they both know this lesson, and both will be trying to get cutting edge hardware out but at a decent price.

As for spec... I don’t know. I would say MS will take the lead this time, and won’t be caught with their pants down again. Plus the X being as amazing as it is, plus with how little the gal is between PS4 and one but the visual differences being massive, I just can’t see them lying down. Sony are currently in arrogant mode, so who knows what way they will go...

Either way, will be interesting that’s for sure.

bitbydeath

Here's my theory. PS5 will release a version to compete at every level Microsoft is except for the streaming box. So they'll have an Anaconda-esque release. Then they'll have a base PS5 that's more palatable for those looking for that $399 price point. I seriously doubt they are gonna do the Lockhart level $250 box. They are not going to start a generation with DF continuing to talk about how Xbox has the better performance. Either it's equal, negligible difference or better on PS5.

Nah, there won’t two machines with power differences on the Sony side and if MS try it they’ll find themselves in the Nintendo Switch camp in terms of AAA third party support.

How are people suddenly expecting Zen level machines to suddenly cost $400 when it's been broke down to death it won't be possible? My fall of this year the final preparations will be complete and contracts and manufacturing will be getting set-up, prices won't drop that fast.

A Zen consoles made with a jump in CPU and GPU with specs that make 60fps easier on average as well as improvements in effect and AI in a sleek console box with a 1TB drive along with all the OS and feature-level improvements, 12TF, good RAM, and people think that's going to be $400 in 2020?

It's not going to happen unless Microsoft and Sony decide to take possibly a $150-$200 loss per sale, and that's the low-end of losses. That's a $20 million loss per every 100,000 sales, what???

Sorry but $500 will be the minimum and even then I'm expecting $50-100 loss at the start and taking around a year or more until they start breaking even.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How are people suddenly expecting Zen level machines to suddenly cost $400 when it's been broke down to death it won't be possible? My fall of this year the final preparations will be complete and contracts and manufacturing will be getting set-up, prices won't drop that fast.

A Zen consoles made with a jump in CPU and GPU with specs that make 60fps easier on average as well as improvements in effect and AI in a sleek console box with a 1TB drive along with all the OS and feature-level improvements, 12TF, good RAM, and people think that's going to be $400 in 2020?

It's not going to happen unless Microsoft and Sony decide to take possibly a $150-$200 loss per sale, and that's the low-end of losses. That's a $20 million loss per every 100,000 sales, what???

Sorry but $500 will be the minimum and even then I'm expecting $50-100 loss at the start and taking around a year or more until they start breaking even.
Console gamers expect the moon.

And at that $400, they also expect all the cables, a gamepad, and a free month of online or Gamepass to boot.

Currently, new consoles will only be <400 dollars if they come gimped (again). Tech has become extremely expensive, especially RAM.

I believe next gen consoles will come @499 or $449. Less than that will only be possible with a loss, and I think only Microsoft could handle that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nah, there won’t two machines with power differences on the Sony side and if MS try it they’ll find themselves in the Nintendo Switch camp in terms of AAA third party support.

I will refer back to this post once we get official word

Top Bottom