• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 coming at the end of 2020 according to analyst: high-spec hardware for under $500

ethomaz

Banned
Please...
A 6TF console is available right now and costs 500bucks.

A LOT of people will be disappointed with the PS5 specs thats for sure, especially the folks who expect anything beyond 9-10TF

I wish people could keep other things in mind. Just because we get 7nm doesnt mean everything will be cheaper...
The 6TF console costed 500bucks two years ago.
Today it is around $300... bundled with game you get it at $350.

The chip for 9-10TFs will cost about the same as 11-12TFs in 7nm... a machine with 12TFs is high possible at $399 price point.

I would love to see something close to 15TFs but it will probably not be possible due restrictions of the 7nm being not small like I expected.

Radeon VII is just that fucking expensive because AMD can't give up in 16GB pricey HBM2 that have no real beneficies over GDDR5X/6.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
It just doesn’t interest me at all.
When I was big into PC gaming to save on performance I would always turn off shadows and reflections first. There is just no need for it to enjoy the game.
''Nah it looks like ass''

''Why?''

''It just doesn't interest me at all.''

Excellent level of opinionating here Kratos. Christ.

mcz117chief

I would rather pay $599 now rather than $399 for the base model and then another $399 for the "pro" model and have one console in the shelf collecting dust. All I really care about is for the damn thing to be reliable, not like the Xbox360 which I had to replace twice or PS4 once.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Hell, I'd pay $600 for a beast of a console. Just give me something that is going to be amazing with backwards compatibility. Same with Xbox.

Does the Xbone offer proper BC like the PS2 did? Can we stop calling it BC when only few titles have been "chosen" to run on newer hardware. That to me sounds more like "Emulation" than real BC (PS2, PS3).

About the topic at hand ... just release a PS5 this year and then 2022 a Pro? Seems to be working out well ... why wait til next year? The jump from 2019 to 2020 wont give Sony and Co. suddenly better chips with 2x performance?

splattered

I pay a lot for my cell phones... I try and get as much of a deal when I can but at the end of the day nicer stuff is more expensive. Ms and sony can help ease this with sort of value add... but either way I'd have no problem paying 600 for a beast ps5/xb2

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
How much of gaming news is speculation or as I like to call it, the ruining of surprises? 50%? 80%?

Shin

Banned
why wait til next year? The jump from 2019 to 2020 wont give Sony and Co. suddenly better chips with 2x performance?
Money makes the world go round, they have some leverage because of PS4's success but it's also probably due to the very same success that they don't want to affect it's sales by releasing too early.
The decline in sales has already started yet the system is still selling very well, I don't think it's necessarily parts related as semi-custom doesn't follow any path beside the one contracts ask for.

Look if it takes $500 bucks to have a solid console im all for it. Why do people want $400 forever especially if that gives us underpowered HW. IMO $500 in todays world sounds absolutely acceptable. This is not 2006 anymore. Your phones are probably twice that price.

Moore's Law and/or other advances in tech have often counteracted inflation related price increases to an extent over time. If costs increased linearly with tech we'd be paying tens of thousands now.

Though I understand the difference here that the PS4 was kind of mid-end yet still potent, and that this is a day 1 high end machine. In other words, their XBox One X.

dolabla

Does the Xbone offer proper BC like the PS2 did? Can we stop calling it BC when only few titles have been "chosen" to run on newer hardware. That to me sounds more like "Emulation" than real BC (PS2, PS3).

About the topic at hand ... just release a PS5 this year and then 2022 a Pro? Seems to be working out well ... why wait til next year? The jump from 2019 to 2020 wont give Sony and Co. suddenly better chips with 2x performance?

Emulation, backwards compatibility, whatever you want to call it...... if you can pop in your own disc and play older titles (with bonuses like enhancements) that is amazing. And it's something PS4 doesn't currently offer. Of course I want improvements (on the Xbox side) by getting most games compatible next gen. Now they can build from the ground up for this and not be some mid gen introduction. Hopefully both systems will be built from the ground up with this in mind.

Lightsbane

Look if it takes $500 bucks to have a solid console im all for it. Why do people want $400 forever especially if that gives us underpowered HW. IMO $500 in todays world sounds absolutely acceptable. This is not 2006 anymore. Your phones are probably twice that price.

Different countries, different standards. 500 euros is a whole lot of money where I live.
That said, I fully expect them to be 499.

LucidFlux

I am entirely in favor of bumping up the launch price from the 399 of past generations, and it makes sense to do so now more than ever. As consoles have moved to a standard architecture where backwards compatibility with previous generations is not only expected but absolutely feasible, companies will more and more lean on their entire install base rather than segmenting by generation.

We saw this at the start of the current generation with the initial slue of cross-gen releases and play. While I'm betting the OG PS4/slim will be phased out of production with the launch of PS5 (name tbd) I expect another revised PS4 Pro to remain as an entry point into the Playstation ecosystem at a very modest price point in the neighborhood of ~$249. This provides an avenue of upgrade for those still on the base consoles as well as room for a more expensive PS5 for the early adopters and enthusiasts.

On the macro scale, software would continue to be fully compatible and released on the older generation of hardware, although with the increase in CPU power I'm hoping for (especially at a $499 price point) we will see further separation in both resolution and frame rates on the lower end hardware compared to the new stuff, while hopefully still maintaining a good gaming experience. Of course how these differences manifest will be on a game by game basis but it would also provide even more incentive for consumers to upgrade from their 5+ year old consoles that may be running a game at 900p30 either to a pro at say 1800p30 or a PS5 at 4k60 (numbers pulled out of my ass). Not to mention much more and faster RAM/Drives reducing load times. I can see the same general principal reflected on the Xbox side of course with their own specific targets.

As with any generation, until developers as a whole have concrete performance numbers to build for we probably won't see the next gen of hardware utilized to its potential for 2+ years after launch (outside of first and select third party titles). Sure, things like resolution/performance, textures, and detail in animation can be dialed up from where their current targets lie, but the foundation a games design is built on will be tied to the initial constraints of the last generation. Things such as overall game scope, size of playable spaces, more advanced and numerous players and AI, etc. After this phase (2-3 years) the cycle likely begins again with PS4 Pro being phased out with the PS5 becoming the new baseline with a new PS5+ taking the top position and we would then see the full brunt of the hardware manifest in most releases. This is when I would expect support to be contained to only the current 2 skus for most mainstream AAA titles as PS4 and PS4Pro are phased out entirely outside of much less demanding titles..

Any who, that's my take on where I think (and hope) this next batch of consoles are headed.

honestly, im okay with a 600$ base console even, as long as you offer enough BC and more budget friendly skus, I dont see why it wouldnt work out for all like the phone market.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Under $500 probably means $499.99. That, of course is not under $500. Is there anywhere that doesn't have a sales tax? Mine is 7.5% so the $499.99 becomes $537.49 and what good is a new console without a game to play on it so add another $64.49. So altogether we are at $601.98.

Under $500 is just marketing BS.

Last edited:
Edit: Nvm.

Yep.

Hopefully they will go for 499$, but looking at PS4, VR and Pro successes, I strongly doubt they will go a single dollar above 399$. They will again want to create as big user base as possible, especially that Sony doesn't plan to offer their games/services on other platforms like MS does, so every PS5 sold will matter more than ever. The way I see the next-gen consoles models will look like is as follows:

XB2S - 299$, 8-12GB RAM, 6-7TF GPU, FullHD
PS5 - 399$, 12-16GB RAM, 8-9TF GPU, CBR 4K
XB2X -499$, 16GB RAM, 10-12Tf GPU, 4K

All will share the same Ryzen CPU, more or less.

How so? If one console will target 1080p with just weaker GPU and lesser memory I see no reason why it wouldn't be able to play games the 4K-focused console will. If Pro and X1X can play the base models games, then there's no reason next-gen games build from the ground up

You think a 7nm mid end console set up with new OS, 16gbs of ram, and 9tf GPU with 60fps and 4k focus is going to cost $399?

You want Sony to go bankrupt?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Stop doing that. You already lost the argument and are just attempting to create this fake narrative where you seemingly win. You dismissed everything and are just trying to push your point. And you lie.

/s.

It was not strawman, but factual.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What I make of this is 2020 seems like an ideal time to get this launch right, PS4 has been great.

Justin9mm

Yep.

You think a 7nm mid end console set up with new OS, 16gbs of ram, and 9tf GPU with 60fps and 4k focus is going to cost $399?

I think he's been smoking a bit too much reefer lol

Everyone wants something for nothing.. Give me a higher price beast of a console because the old saying is true 'You get what you pay for!'

I don't want them cutting corners for the sake of $100

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
the console isn't going to be $500 or more, some of you are just being haters. They have no reason to make a console that much, since they will just come out with the PS5 pro the year after

the console isn't going to be $500 or more, some of you are just being haters. They have no reason to make a console that much, since they will just come out with the PS5 pro the year after

You seem to have forgotten companies need to make money and not lose money.

The stronger the console the longer they can hold higher prices to make profit. You basically want Sony and MS to lose money on a $400 console for a few years until the refreshes. Which won't do anything due to low profit margins.

hecatomb

Banned

The stronger the console the longer they can hold higher prices to make profit. You basically want Sony and MS to lose money on a $400 console for a few years until the refreshes. Which won't do anything due to low profit margins.
I think also some people on these forums are just haters, every time I come on gaf someone is posting something negative about Sony. Like I said. People on these forums just assume they know everything that happens or will happen.

TLZ

Banned
I am entirely in favor of bumping up the launch price from the 399 of past generations, and it makes sense to do so now more than ever. As consoles have moved to a standard architecture where backwards compatibility with previous generations is not only expected but absolutely feasible, companies will more and more lean on their entire install base rather than segmenting by generation.

We saw this at the start of the current generation with the initial slue of cross-gen releases and play. While I'm betting the OG PS4/slim will be phased out of production with the launch of PS5 (name tbd) I expect another revised PS4 Pro to remain as an entry point into the Playstation ecosystem at a very modest price point in the neighborhood of ~$249. This provides an avenue of upgrade for those still on the base consoles as well as room for a more expensive PS5 for the early adopters and enthusiasts.

On the macro scale, software would continue to be fully compatible and released on the older generation of hardware, although with the increase in CPU power I'm hoping for (especially at a $499 price point) we will see further separation in both resolution and frame rates on the lower end hardware compared to the new stuff, while hopefully still maintaining a good gaming experience. Of course how these differences manifest will be on a game by game basis but it would also provide even more incentive for consumers to upgrade from their 5+ year old consoles that may be running a game at 900p30 either to a pro at say 1800p30 or a PS5 at 4k60 (numbers pulled out of my ass). Not to mention much more and faster RAM/Drives reducing load times. I can see the same general principal reflected on the Xbox side of course with their own specific targets.

As with any generation, until developers as a whole have concrete performance numbers to build for we probably won't see the next gen of hardware utilized to its potential for 2+ years after launch (outside of first and select third party titles). Sure, things like resolution/performance, textures, and detail in animation can be dialed up from where their current targets lie, but the foundation a games design is built on will be tied to the initial constraints of the last generation. Things such as overall game scope, size of playable spaces, more advanced and numerous players and AI, etc. After this phase (2-3 years) the cycle likely begins again with PS4 Pro being phased out with the PS5 becoming the new baseline with a new PS5+ taking the top position and we would then see the full brunt of the hardware manifest in most releases. This is when I would expect support to be contained to only the current 2 skus for most mainstream AAA titles as PS4 and PS4Pro are phased out entirely outside of much less demanding titles..

Any who, that's my take on where I think (and hope) this next batch of consoles are headed.
Maybe they thought the same with PS3, and look what happened at the beginning.

Zog

Banned
The gaming community never lets us forget that. It's to the point where I have to wonder why some consumers care more the bottom line of corporations than they do about consumer concerns like saving money. It's like the cow voting for cheeseburgers for dinner. Both consumers and corporations are on the side of the corporation. and then we wonder why anti-consumers practices are so bad in the game industry.
The stronger the console the longer they can hold higher prices to make profit.
They just increase hard drive sizes to maintain the price.

Last edited:
This sounds about right to me.

But I will say this, if I pay 500$ for a PS5 that better be it until the PS6, no more mid-gen upgrades.

8K is not happening any time soon LOL.

Jeez, we don't even have consoles that can do 2160p as standard in all games without upscaling/checkerboarding and even on PC 4K 60fps is not standard yet....and you're already talking about 8K? look at this image to get an idea of what 8K is....

WxScPpL.jpg

lmao, 8K is probably a good 15 years away from being the standard, maybe even longer.

I think also some people on these forums are just haters, every time I come on gaf someone is posting something negative about Sony. Like I said. People on these forums just assume they know everything that happens or will happen.

Where are you seeing negative posts about Sony in this specific thread?

You're free to not buy them you know.

And I'm free to be upset if I wind up with dated hardware after only 3 years.

That said, I doubt it will be the case, Sony got screwed by timing with the rise of 4K, but 4K is going to be the maximum for at least another decade, so I can't see why a mid-gen upgrade for the PS5 would be necessary.

That said, I doubt it will be the case, Sony got screwed by timing with the rise of 4K, but 4K is going to be the maximum for at least another decade, so I can't see why a mid-gen upgrade for the PS5 would be necessary.

Technically isn’t it dated by then, regardless, with or without the refresh?

Airbus Jr

Banned
PS4 : $400
PS5 : $500
PS6 : $600
PS7 : $700
PS8 : $800
PS9 : $900
PS10 : $1000

We're reaching Apple iPhone teritory soon 😛

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Where are you seeing negative posts about Sony in this specific thread?
I don't see the positive in making a console 500. Also Sony won't make it 500, cause Microsoft will make theirs less. Why do you think Sony always tries to make their consoles less then xbox?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
If either MS or Sony created a better OS they could charge a PC price because that what it'd be.

I would venture to guess most people have either 300-400$ console or a 1k-3k PC mainly using Steam or both

TLZ

Banned

If every game still plays on it, and none are neglected or downgraded, you're still playing the same quality with or without the refresh. Doesn't really make a difference if you're happy with that.

demigod

You seem to have forgotten that Sony sold the ps4 at a loss.

Anyone thinking the system will be higher than $500 is smoking crack. While I wouldn’t mind it being higher and a beast of a console, we are not the demograph.

ZywyPL

Banned
If either MS or Sony created a better OS they could charge a PC price because that what it'd be.

That's not how it works, consoles and PC are totally different markets with completely different business models.

Yep.

Where did you get that 60FPS from? Not from my post, that's for sure. And I didn't said anything about native 4K either.

Last edited:
You seem to have forgotten that Sony sold the ps4 at a loss.

Anyone thinking the system will be higher than $500 is smoking crack. While I wouldn’t mind it being higher and a beast of a console, we are not the demograph.

The PS4 started near break even and got profitable quickly, don't act dumb, Sony isn't going to lose $150-200 per console, neither Sony nor MS is going to like losing millions of dollars every 100k consoles sold.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm an end of 2019 guy. Common 2019, life's short!
"But... there are still good games coming for the current generation."

Phuck that. Gimme new hardware. Not getting any younger and this long generations are tiresome. I want to see some progress.

I don't see the positive in making a console 500. Also Sony won't make it 500, cause Microsoft will make theirs less. Why do you think Sony always tries to make their consoles less then xbox?

MS is also commonly stated to be at $50£ minimum as well, abd MS likely isn't in the market to lose billions of dollar sales on a console like the original Xbox.

Top Bottom