• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 coming at the end of 2020 according to analyst: high-spec hardware for under $500

demigod

The PS4 started near break even and got profitable quickly, don't act dumb, Sony isn't going to lose $150-200 per console, neither Sony nor MS is going to like losing millions of dollars every 100k consoles sold.

You either break even or you don't. Near break even is losing money. Don't be dumb. Google it if you don't think they lost money.

You either break even or you don't. Near break even is losing money. Don't be dumb. Google it if you don't think they lost money.

Semantics.

They were losing small amounts, and notice you ignored the part where they quickly made profit. How convenient.

Your dishonest debating aside Sony is in no position to lose $150-$200 per box, come back to reality. If they lose anything it will be marginal. These spec predictions at $399 are all insane.

demigod

Semantics.

They were losing small amounts, and notice you ignored the part where they quickly made profit. How convenient.

Your dishonest debating aside Sony is in no position to lose $150-$200 per box, come back to reality. If they lose anything it will be marginal. These spec predictions at $399 are all insane.

Your original point was that Sony and MS needs to make money and not lose money on hardware. Fact is, Sony lost money even if it was a small amount. Why you trying to insert $150-$200 per box loss to make a point? You could've just put in $1000 loss per box instead.

ZywyPL

Banned
demigod demigod
Sony was actually earning literally 1$ on ever PS4 sold from the get go, MS most likely as well, that was the whole idea behind moving from separate CPU and GPU chips into one APU.

Your original point was that Sony and MS needs to make money and not lose money on hardware. Fact is, Sony lost money even if it was a small amount. Why you trying to insert $150-$200 per box loss to make a point? You could've just put in $1000 loss per box instead.

You keep pretending that the PS4 didnt turn a profit in less than a year.

You cant compare this gen to other gens if you skew the comparison. The 360 took over 2 years to make a profit and lost a lot more money per console at launch than PS4. Same with PS3. Which took longer to make a profit, in fact they wrote off losses.

Ps4 losses were marginal and quickly flipped around so the concept of taking losses on hardware and making it up with software barely applies since most of this gen Sony has made a profit on hardware with the PS4. Anything else is a straw man.

This gen is nothing like the snes to 360 gens were consoles were sold at a loss for long periods and made up on software. Companies can't afford losses like that anymore.

Sony cant lose $200 a box in 2020 with some of the specs being thrown around here for $399. That's $20 million in losses every 100k sales. That $200 isn't random, that's likely how much Sony would lose at $399 with some of the specs thrown around.

People just expect Sony to go bankrupt for $399

demigod

demigod demigod
Sony was actually earning literally 1$ on ever PS4 sold from the get go, MS most likely as well, that was the whole idea behind moving from separate CPU and GPU chips into one APU.

No they weren't, they were losing money unless you bought a game/subscription. The whole point of APU was to make the box cheaper and yeah to turn a profit quicker.

You keep pretending that the PS4 didnt turn a profit in less than a year.

You cant compare this gen to other gens if you skew the comparison. The 360 took over 2 years to make a profit and lost a lot more money per console at launch than PS4. Same with PS3. Which took longer to make a profit, in fact they wrote off losses.

Ps4 losses were marginal and quickly flipped around so the concept of taking losses on hardware and making it up with software barely applies since most of this gen Sony has made a profit on hardware with the PS4. Anything else is a straw man.

This gen is nothing like the snes to 360 gens were consoles were sold at a loss for long periods and made up on software. Companies can't afford losses like that anymore.

Sony cant lose $200 a box in 2020 with some of the specs being thrown around here for $399. That's $20 million in losses every 100k sales. That $200 isn't random, that's likely how much Sony would lose at $399 with some of the specs thrown around.

People just expect Sony to go bankrupt for $399

Lmao, putting words in my mouth now? Never did I say they lost money more than a year. Your point was that Sony need to make money so they jacked up the price of the console like MS, but they didn't.

No they weren't, they were losing money unless you bought a game/subscription. The whole point of APU was to make the box cheaper and yeah to turn a profit quicker.

Lmao, putting words in my mouth now? Never did I say they lost money more than a year. Your point was that Sony need to make money so they jacked up the price of the console like MS, but they didn't.

Uh no it wasn't. My point was the specs flying around at $399 would lose Sony tons of money. But based on your response you don't have the best reading comprehension anyway soo...

Im sure you'll reply with 2bd grade level "lmao" and then go on some rant. Even putting more words in my mouth I never said.

demigod

Uh no it wasn't. My point was the specs flying around at $399 would lose Sony tons of money. But based on your response you don't have the best reading comprehension anyway soo...

Im sure you'll reply with 2bd grade level "lmao" and then go on some rant. Even putting more words in my mouth I never said.

You realize the person you quoted said over $500 and not your $399 right? My response to you was that Sony was losing money per console, your info was incorrect.

You realize the person you quoted said over $500 and not your $399 right? My response to you was that Sony was losing money per console, your info was incorrect.

No you're trying to conflate two different conversations. And the guy I quoted in the first had odd ps5 specs at $399 while having the high end Xbox above that.

I never even said Sony didnt lose money, you're all confused and riled up. I said Sony's not going to lose $200 per box based on the specs of that post. Which is vastly more than the marginal ps4 losses.

TLZ

Banned
Which part are you referencing exactly, can you be more specific?
The first paragraph. The PS3 was fully compatible with previous generations which received a price bump as well, which didn't sit well with the crowd at first.

I don't mind it myself because I want full BC, but masses like cheaper pricing.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I don't know why people are bringing up PS3, PS3 price was only that high at the beginning cause they had some plans to make it backwards compatible. Later learning how people didn't like the price they lowered it. This also shows that Sony wants to have lower prices then the xbox.

Also if xbox also comes out with a lower price or the same, Sony will try to match it.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I don't know why people are bringing up PS3, PS3 price was only that high at the beginning cause they had some plans to make it backwards compatible. Later learning how people didn't like the price they lowered it. This also shows that Sony wants to have lower prices then the xbox.

Also if xbox also comes out with a lower price or the same, Sony will try to match it.

Definitely. I'm sure they were a little burned by the 12GB in the X. Doesn't really matter though since they still won this gen. I'm sure both of them will be trying to one up each other this go around. Still think $399 is the sweet spot.

hecatomb

Banned
Im not trying to be a fanboy, but its a fact now, that Sony wants to have a lower price then xbox. They are not really worried about nintendo, since Nintendo isn't worried about Sony or Microsoft.

LucidFlux

The first paragraph. The PS3 was fully compatible with previous generations which received and price bump as well, which didn't sit well with the crowd at first.

I don't mind it myself because I want full BC, but masses like cheaper pricing.

I gotcha, yeah that was certainly off-putting to the majority but It would be hard to include the 499 version as it cut quite a few key features so we'd mainly be comparing to the 599 version. They even eventually nixed the bc in later revisions. We know they won't make that mistake again.

hecatomb

Banned
Who said anything about buying apple products lol. Can't win an argument, time to make stuff up. Cant wait till someone pops in and says, "well all xbox owners believe the earth is flat." Man some of you guys.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I know some people dont mind spending big money, but I've always felt what I call the 50 dollar rule works. 400 at launch is 50 bucks a year for about 8 years. Waiting for the price drop to 300 gets you 6 years, etc.

I realize at some point inflation will rear its ugly head but the lower costs of hardware help stave it off.

400 on a luxury device is much easier to get my head around than 500 now that I have a family.

TeamGhobad

Banned
i doubt sony will sell at a loss. im thinking 499 bare min. or maybe 599 i mean with inflation and all 599 is not a lot for a console u will use for the next 7years.

Top Bottom