• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 could possibly play PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs

Hostile_18

Banned
People just have to use their common sense. What reason does Sony have for incorporating BC for PS1-3 into PS5? Clearly wasn't necessary for PS4 in terms of sales. It's just money lost any way you look at it. I think the only time something like this makes sense is if they're way behind on market share and need to provide better value.

The biggest mistake any console manufacturer ever makes is taking victory for granted at the start of any gen. Hopefully both Microsoft and Sony have learned from this.

H4ze

Would love to see it happening, but as many others stated here, I will believe it when I see it.

Kagero

I can see PS1 and PS2 through emulation, but no way they ganna get PS3 games to play. Coding for that system was way too specific.

thelastword

Banned
People just have to use their common sense. What reason does Sony have for incorporating BC for PS1-3 into PS5? Clearly wasn't necessary for PS4 in terms of sales. It's just money lost any way you look at it. I think the only time something like this makes sense is if they're way behind on market share and need to provide better value.
Agreed, it's not necessary, but it will bring lots of goodwill and mindshare, especially on PlayStation's 25th anniversary....

dave_d

I'd be surprised to see it play PS1 discs. Last I heard the PS4 drive won't even read a CD so I'd expect whatever drive they use in the PS5 wouldn't be able to read one either.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Hearts and minds. And THAT matters. You can't take that for granted.

Agreed, it's not necessary, but it will bring lots of goodwill and mindshare, especially on PlayStation's 25th anniversary....
PS1 and now PS2 should be trivial to implement. PS3 is the only complicated system. However, since they are currently developing the new hardware, it’s possible they added some helper functionality to the new PS5 APU. Remember, Xbox One’s 360 BC is only achievable because they had the foresight to add hardware level support for 360 texture and audio formats. Otherwise a pure software emulator wouldn’t have been possible for that either.

Source

thelastword

Banned
PS1 and now PS2 should be trivial to implement. PS3 is the only complicated system. However, since they are currently developing the new hardware, it’s possible they added some helper functionality to the new PS5 APU. Remember, Xbox One’s 360 BC is only achievable because they had the foresight to add hardware level support for 360 texture and audio formats. Otherwise a pure software emulator wouldn’t have been possible for that either.

Source
Thing is, I thing it's quite possible they do this on PS5...…….The rumormill suggests that Sony has hired a few contractors for emulation on PS5, so the PCSX2/RPCS3 guys sounds plausible.....Combined, there is lots of talent and some fine engineers at Sony...…..Sony would be privy to the libraries and code, which makes emulation a bit easier as opposed to if they did not....

Banned
I'd be surprised to see it play PS1 discs. Last I heard the PS4 drive won't even read a CD so I'd expect whatever drive they use in the PS5 wouldn't be able to read one either.

the hardware is able to read CDs, Sony most likely doesn't want to pay licensing. The Xbox One has a very similar BluRay drive and it can read CDs because Microsoft was willing to pay the licensing fees

Thing is, I thing it's quite possible they do this on PS5...…….The rumormill suggests that Sony has hired a few contractors for emulation on PS5, so the PCSX2/RPCS3 guys sounds plausible.....Combined, there is lots of talent and some fine engineers at Sony...…..Sony would be privy to the libraries and code, which makes emulation a bit easier as opposed to if they did not....

No it dosent. It will have ps4 bc which they are working hard on.
if it has ps1-ps3 bc it will be select titles thorugh psnow and store.

Rayderism

I'd be OK if they made PS1 and PS2 BC be an app that you'd have to buy. That way, it could fund the refinement of those apps to constantly increase compatibility. I don't actually expect PS3 BC, but it would be a nice surprise if it happened. But PS1/2 BC should be easy since even cellphones can emulate those now.

sunnysideup

Banned
Should not be a problem. Once they have written a good emulator, they can just port it to their next console forever.

It is really a small investment to keep people loyal.

dave_d

the hardware is able to read CDs, Sony most likely doesn't want to pay licensing. The Xbox One has a very similar BluRay drive and it can read CDs because Microsoft was willing to pay the licensing fees
I was under the impression they literally took out the laser that would be able to read the CD and the drive physically can't read the discs. At least that's what I've read. Not sure if any tear-downs definitely have said if the red laser is in there or not.

Trimesh

Banned
I was under the impression they literally took out the laser that would be able to read the CD and the drive physically can't read the discs. At least that's what I've read. Not sure if any tear-downs definitely have said if the red laser is in there or not.

That was what I thought, but I was wrong. I just pulled apart one of the KES-490A optical pickups used in the PS4 and can verify that it does have an 860nm IR laser, even if the firmware in the PS4 doesn't appear to be using it.

The laser visible from the outside only has 4 pins - which I assumed were for the BR laser, DVD laser, monitor diode and ground - but in fact they are the CD laser, DVD laser, monitor diode and ground.

The 405nm beam is generated by a different laser diode that's inside the housing and fed into a beam combiner.

A1IH7TJ.jpg

I'd be OK if they made PS1 and PS2 BC be an app that you'd have to buy. That way, it could fund the refinement of those apps to constantly increase compatibility.

I'd be okay with this, too. So long as it wasn't overpriced. Or they could make it part of PS+ (or would that be considered a bit evil?)

I'm sorry, but anyone who believes this will happen is completely delusional.

You know that the PS4 already has software emulators for PS1 and PS2 out of the box, right? When you play a PS1 or PS2 game downloaded from the PS store, that's what is being used to run them. Hackers have shown that a PS4 can be made to play *any* PS1 or PS2 thrown at it. However, the results vary, with some games working just fine, and others crashing or displaying glitches (graphics, audio, etc).

Proof:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has spent some time fixing this so that PS1 and PS2 games can work just fine. That would leave the PS3 as the only one left out.

Trimesh

Banned
And, just for completeness and reference, here is the KES-400A laser out of the PS3 (which we already know can read CDs)

The main differences are that it uses a single device with all 3 laser diodes in but has 2 separate photodiode arrays (unlike the single array in the later pickup) - it also uses much less glue than the new one, but that's probably just cost cutting.

EAFw7WC.jpg

I know I'm in the super-small minority here, but I never got a PS4 specifically because it lacked backwards compatibility. Still have 2 original PS3s as my PS1/2/3 and Blu-ray machines. If the PS5 could play my PS1/2/3 discs, I'd definitely come back on the Sony bandwagon.

Hostile_18

Banned
The source looks more and more suspect now tbh. I still think it's a possibility but it will be a lucky guess on his part if it happens.

In the mean time what is the best way to play my PS2 discs on a modern 65 oled?

Original PS2 with (hdmi converter I guess?) or PS3? (60gb?).

I looked into emulation but it's running too slow on my laptop unfortunately :(

You know that the PS4 already has software emulators for PS1 and PS2 out of the box, right? When you play a PS1 or PS2 game downloaded from the PS store, that's what is being used to run them. Hackers have shown that a PS4 can be made to play *any* PS1 or PS2 thrown at it. However, the results vary, with some games working just fine, and others crashing or displaying glitches (graphics, audio, etc).

Proof:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has spent some time fixing this so that PS1 and PS2 games can work just fine. That would leave the PS3 as the only one left out.

I know, but what does that have to do with anything?

All I'm saying is that there is 0% chance of Sony putting in support for emulating every disc from PS1, PS2 and PS3 in PS5.

Cato

Banned
Hearts and minds. And THAT matters. You can't take that for granted.

I am not sure that actually matters much for people that care about PS or PS2.
It is most likely, if it happens at all, a low cost low effort port of some emulators for the 12 people that wants to play PS and PS2 games on their PS5.

For People like me. I have three different models of PSX, one with PSIO, and one PSOne (with the LCD screen). Then I also have two PS2's (and beyond the context of this discussion, every model of every later PS console) (One PS2 is JP of course)
I have a few hundred original games for each of PS and PS2 and I play them regularly.
Right now I am about to finish up the last battle in Atelier Iris. Last year I played through Xenogears.

I have a dedicated room in my house just for my PS consoles and all the bookshelves of games I have.

I only play these games on genuine HW and using genuine CD/DVD games.
I am a super fanatic PS collector fanboi.
I could not care less about whether PS5 has support to emulate PS or PS2.
If you want to emulate these, you do it on your PC not your PS5.

My only regret with the PS and PS2 scene is that it is starting to get really EXPENSIVE to source replacement CRT TVs place I live.
I have a small cache of replacement TVs but they will not last forever.

I think I am clearly in the group of crazy PS fanatics and collectors. I have no desire to play PS or PS2 games via an emulator on PS5.
I don't care if they do include these emulators or not. I don't care at all, I just will never use it when I can play these games properly on proper genuine HW.

If they do actual market research about people that actually care about and play PS and PS2 games I am certain that almost everyone would shrug an say "don't care. you do you".
I am certain the same is true about Xbox fans but have no data to confirm.

(I have another spare room and I am thinking about dedicating it to XBox. I never owned one but one of my daughrers may gift me an original and a 360 but hardly any games. Anyone have links to where to purchase old original or 360 games for cheap and/or where to get lists of the best exclusives to start a collection from? I understand they had a lot of good exclusives and I figure it is never too late to get to the party and enjoy them.)

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I think your quite a unique case with all the hardware you already own. This thread which contains target audience these console makers will be going for day 1 are full of people excited by the prospect (Joe Bloggs is unlikely to pick up launch day after all).

I'm confused by the people saying zero chance. Zero chance is ps2/ps3 back compat on the new X Box... not Playstation embracing its past legacy which it has a 50%+ history of doing.

If they can do it you better believe it was considered at one point, during the r&d phase.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

So nothing happened yesterday? Can someone sheck Erebus, is he ok?
Fake edit: i was one of the hyped mofos, still am, but really was counting on some 25th anniversary news... Feck

They can sell thousands of games from their catalog on PSN if they are able to get the licenses for the games. It's not just for goodwill, it makes business sense too. Full BC would make them a crap ton of cash.

dave_d

That was what I thought, but I was wrong. I just pulled apart one of the KES-490A optical pickups used in the PS4 and can verify that it does have an 860nm IR laser, even if the firmware in the PS4 doesn't appear to be using it.
Cool, I'm happy somebody checked and can give a definitive answer. Thanks for looking into it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BC has never been a big factor in deciding which consoles the public chooses. That includes the current gen.

Xbox One, Wii U, PS3 and Vita all had backwards compatibility. PS4 and Switch do not.

It looks like PS5 will have it, but it isn't because Sony thinks it HAS to in order to compete with Xbox.
The Wii, DS and 3ds had backwards compatibility, and (with the master converter and super game boy) SNES and Genesis were backwards compatible too. Also, it's not really that good to put PS3 in that line when the PS3 was a pretty good sucess compared to all the others.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just imagine one box it plays:

Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation 4
Playstation 5
PSP (digital only)
Playstation Vita (digital only)
PSVR
PSVR 2
Netflix,
Apple tv
Disney +
Now tv
Amazon Prime
CD music
DVD Movies
Blu Ray movies
UHD Movies
YouTube

😍😍

Only thing left to add would be;

3587a6a05be9395ba4ed8200f8f08d35-full.jpg
if homebrew is a factor it could also play
Sega Genesis
Turbografx 16
Super Nintendo
Game Boy
Game boy Advance
Game boy color
Nintendo 64
Sega Saturn (though that might be a pipe dream considering how hard it is to emulate)
Gamecube
Dreamcast
Original Xbox (ohh the irony)
and a shitload of arcade machines
Basically, the ultimate gaming machine 😍😍😍😆😁

Top Bottom