• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 could possibly play PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs

Hostile_18

Banned
www.tweaktown.com/news/68202/ps5-natively-play-ps1-ps2-ps3-game-discs/amp.html

Obviously PS4 backwards compatibility is almost a certainty but if the above rumour turns out to be true (leaked by a credible source I hear) how will that effect your buying habits?

Do you already have a extensive back collection? Will you buy more discs? Will you sell more? (if this makes the value raise).

Myself I just bough a few licenced properties now for a few quid just in case and also to add them to my BluRay/DVD collection of their tv show counterparts. I'm all digital but theres no chance these would ever be on the digital store again. In a real way I'm buying discs again for the first time in years.

8e89730a9b31e85cc097d283eeefad8b-full.jpg

ace7646ca0bf4f1c8920c0d8c82bf2c5-full.jpg

aaab785f01195f4a7f54f3b820080e64-full.jpg

68ad2f24ee4111f4fcf247479964d62d-full.jpg

Also got my eye on the original Silent Hills and original Deus Ex. But for those I'll see if the rumour turns out to be true.. or maybe I just pick up a cheap PS2.

Must admit I love the idea of just having one game machine that can play so much (and isn't a PC).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is over a month old and I believe it has already been discussed in the OT. Also the original source is just a Twitter account.

Hostile_18

Banned
This is over a month old and I believe it has already been discussed in the OT. Also the original source is just a Twitter account.

Hasn't there been a few sources hinting at this though? How would it effect you all? Would you buy more/less if it turned out to be true? :)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hasn't there been a few sources hinting at this though? How would it effect you all? Would you buy more/less if it turned out to be true? :)

I still have all of my old PS games. I wouldn't need to buy anything. It'd be nice to see them all playable on one system, but when the PS4 can easily play PSX and PS2 games, but Sony decides to resell them instead, I'll believe it when I see it.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not saying it won't, but it would be pretty interesting for Sony to care about whether or not a few collectors can put their 20+ year old PS1 discs into the system and have them play.

Don't get me wrong. I have PS1 games still. I think collecting is awesome. I just would be surprised they'd bother with something that 3% of their current customers care about.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm not saying it won't, but it would be pretty interesting for Sony to care about whether or not a few collectors can put their 20+ year old PS1 discs into the system and have them play.

Don't get me wrong. I have PS1 games still. I think collecting is awesome. I just would be surprised they'd bother with something that 3% of their current customers care about.

I mean, people do care about it, but it'd cut into Sony selling PS and PS2 classics on PSN.

Hostile_18

Banned

With PS1 and PS2 it wouldn't be much of a technical feat would it as the PS5 could just include an emulator? PS3 I'm alot more sceptical about with the Cell (Luckily the Lost game was 2 pounds lol).

I think with the possibility of the PS5 and Scarlett been so similar (in terms of power) it would be a great differentiator and a good way for Sony to leverage their back catalogue. It's the enthusiasts they need to win over initially, the rest will follow, as history has shown.

xrnzaaas

I am very sceptical about this, especially in the ongoing remaster craze and with how Sony handled the topic this gen by releasing a shitty PS1 emulator and forcing people to pay quite a lot for shitty PS2 ports.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Not a biggie for me as all I'm interested in is playing upgraded ps4 games maybeeee for the first couple of years then my time will be spent on solely ps5 games. I had a ps3 phat and didn't play ps2 games on it. When I got my ps4 I didn't really care about playing my ps3 or the games.

Hey but it's gd for ppl tht like this. Bc doesn't sell me or put me off to a console ever.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I am very sceptical about this, especially in the ongoing remaster craze and with how Sony handled the topic this gen by releasing a shitty PS1 emulator and forcing people to pay quite a lot for shitty PS2 ports.

Yeah 6 or so terrible PS2 games lol. I get the feeling they regret going the "adding in trophies" in route. I just think with MS fighting back harder than ever this would be a great early win in what will be a very competitive battle.

I don't know about everyone else but I'd still pay for a remaster of back compatible games if it was for a game I love. The same way I upgraded classic films from DVD to Blu ray etc.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I don't believe this at all unless they have software based emulation (which seems unlikely). I can say with confidence that they are not going to solder all the old chips into the PS5 as the cost to do so would make the system very pricey.

I hope I am wrong with the software emulation as it would be nice to be able to play my old discs but considering they have PS Now for old titles I don't know why they would enable something that could potentially keep people from using PS Now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't believe this at all unless they have software based emulation (which seems unlikely). I can say with confidence that they are not going to solder all the old chips into the PS5 as the cost to do so would make the system very pricey.

I hope I am wrong with the software emulation as it would be nice to be able to play my old discs but considering they have PS Now for old titles I don't know why they would enable something that could potentially keep people from using PS Now.

The PS4 already emulates the PSOne and PS2 in software.

johntown

Banned
The PS4 already emulates the PSOne and PS2 in software.
Yeah I should have been clearer but generally referred to the PS3. I know you can buy digital PS1 and PS2 games on the PS4 but not discs. Emulation that allows disc based games to be played seem unlikely.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't see how Sony can NOT do this on the PS5 as Xbox is already doing it this gen.

Exactly. If theres any time to do customer pleasing moves it's at the start of a console generation.

For those more tech minded than myself would the increased specs of the PS5 make PS3 emulation more practical than this gen or is it still impossible without extra hardware?

Vawn

Banned
I don't see how Sony can NOT do this on the PS5 as Xbox is already doing it this gen.

BC has never been a big factor in deciding which consoles the public chooses. That includes the current gen.

Xbox One, Wii U, PS3 and Vita all had backwards compatibility. PS4 and Switch do not.

It looks like PS5 will have it, but it isn't because Sony thinks it HAS to in order to compete with Xbox.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
BC has never been a big factor in deciding which consoles the public chooses. That includes the current gen.

Xbox One, Wii U, PS3 and Vita all had backwards compatibility. PS4 and Switch do not.

It looks like PS5 will have it, but it isn't because Sony thinks it HAS to in order to compete with Xbox.

If you have two consoles both equally the same in performance terms and a handful of exclusives on each releasing in the same window. Your opposition has gamepass and is giving away their games to subscribers day 1 and hungry to catch up from last gen I'd think you'd throw as many goodwill features at your potential audience as possible tbh.

It's the enthusiasts that always dictate the success or failure of a console (early install base, friends of friends seeing the console/games in real life etc). Many enthusiasts would value BC IMO. Perhaps it wasnt as important last gen because the two skus of PS3 and the high price during a financial crisis muddied the waters somewhat.

At the very least it's a selling point bulletin if marketed correctly. The PS2 is the most successful console of all time after all.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Exactly. If theres any time to do customer pleasing moves it's at the start of a console generation.

For those more tech minded than myself would the increased specs of the PS5 make PS3 emulation more practical than this gen or is it still impossible without extra hardware?
I have a high end PC and I use RPCS3 to emulate PS3. The PS5 should be more than capable of emulating PS3 games and if the emulator is developed by Sony I would think it would work pretty well. I would think if they do it, it would allow digital PS3 games to be played on PS5 hopefully with up-scaling.

Hostile_18

Banned
I have a high end PC and I use RPCS3 to emulate PS3. The PS5 should be more than capable of emulating PS3 games and if the emulator is developed by Sony I would think it would work pretty well. I would think if they do it, it would allow digital PS3 games to be played on PS5 hopefully with up-scaling.

I know it's far, far from confirmed but this is music to my ears that it may be possible via software. Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol would be the first games bought! :messenger_beaming:

Hostile_18

Banned
This. I mean, imagine the PSN on the PS5 having every. Single. PS game available to buy, download and play.

Nerdgasm.

Never going to happen because of licensing. That's partly why I bought the OP games as even if this was a thing digitally no way those rights would be renegotiated, sadly.

Still can totally see it for internally owned properties or games where the company that made/published it still exists.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Really? Why do I see PS4 owners frequently crying about wanting remasters for Mass Effect, FO3/NV, RDR etc? With 1 X enhancements & BC we essentially have free remasters on Xbox if we already own those games. Also it seems like the PS3 exclusive remasters like TLoU and UC collection sold pretty well on the PS4.

johntown

Banned
I know it's far, far from confirmed but this is music to my ears that it may be possible via software. Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol would be the first games bought! :messenger_beaming:
Yeah it works pretty well. With a high end PC I can run a game like Demon's Souls up-scaled to 4k and 60fps (the emulator is still in alpha phase too). An emulator on the PS5 developed by Sony should be more than capable of running Demon's Souls at native settings if not more which is why I would think at the least it would upscale.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If you have two consoles both equally the same in performance terms and a handful of exclusives on each releasing in the same window. Your opposition has gamepass and is giving away their games to subscribers day 1 and hungry to catch up from last gen I'd think you'd throw as many goodwill features at your potential audience as possible tbh.

It's the enthusiasts that always dictate the success or failure of a console (early install base, friends of friends seeing the console/games in real life etc). Many enthusiasts would value BC IMO. Perhaps it wasnt as important last gen because the two skus of PS3 and the high price during a financial crisis muddied the waters somewhat.

At the very least it's a selling point bulletin if marketed correctly. The PS2 is the most successful console of all time after all.

Good will and options are always a positive. But the fact tht game pass is in play is negated by the awesome exclusives tht trump the exclusives on Xbox. We can all say it's subjective but those ten million plus tht even some new ips have sold on PS4 is not subjective nor are all the highly rated exclusives on PS4 and the number of them. "Enthusiasts" as you mention will stay with Sony because of this, Sony definitely won't have an Xbox situation this gen tht had Xbox fans jumping ship after the reveal to PS4 and had Microsoft lose all the ground they gained with 360. Gamepass is good but for most it isn't a system seller, if your into tht it's cool though(had it, played Gears two days and let it expire).

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Really? Why do I see PS4 owners frequently crying about wanting remasters for Mass Effect, FO3/NV, RDR etc? With 1 X enhancements & BC we essentially have free remasters on Xbox if we already own those games. Also it seems like the PS3 exclusive remasters like TLoU and UC collection sold pretty well on the PS4.

BC isn't a big factor. I know you love Xbox but it just really isn't a system seller nor ever has been. Sony were doing it for decades but it was just a plus not a reason to own the system for most. Most ppl are playing new games not old ones besides enthusiasts and ppl in these forums.

sublimit

Banned
It will probably make me play more often my PS3 games especially if they are enhanced.

For my PS1,PS2 games i prefer to play them on my dedicated retro set-up but it will be nice to know i have an alternative in case my PS2 consoles break. Unless of course they are also enhanced in which case i'll be playing them on PS5.

CatLady

BC isn't a big factor. I know you love Xbox but it just really isn't a system seller nor ever has been. Sony were doing it for decades but it was just a plus not a reason to own the system for most. Most ppl are playing new games not old ones besides enthusiasts and ppl in these forums.
I know you love Sony but it's not really the point of being a system seller. It's a consumer friendly option that let's you play your old games that you own & love without buying them a 2nd time.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

How many people "ACTUALLY" have working PSone and PS2 disc games?

Gamernyc78

Banned
I know you love Sony but it's not really the point of being a system seller. It's a consumer friendly option that let's you play old your games that you own & love without buying them a 2nd time.

We all agree more options are better, the context of the comments going back and forth had to do with its importance overall. . No one has disagreed with tht green team. My comment was in response to your hyperbolic comment you left trying to make it seem like it's a must have, droves been crying for 🤔Thts not the reality of things.

But hey I feel you on tht.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
If that end up being true, its gonna be amazing. I still have my old games here, being able to play them without waiting for remasters its really a sight to behold.

Hostile_18

Banned
If that end up being true, its gonna be amazing. I still have my old games here, being able to play them without waiting for remasters its really a sight to behold.

Would you be tempted to sell any if the value went up because of back compat? Looking at things like Silent Hill they go for quite a bit these days. It's strange which ones are in high demand. I got all the above for £24. X Files was the highest at £12. Side note: best tv show of all time ;)

Banned
if the PS5 plays all PS1 and PS2 discs, with maybe even up-RESed graphics, that woulf be a legit systemseller for me... like that feature alone.

same is true if Scarlett supports all Xbox and Xbox 360 discs withe enhancement like on One X

CatLady

We all agree more options are better, the context of the comments going back and forth had to do with its importance overall. . No one has disagreed with tht green team. My comment was in response to your hyperbolic comment you left trying to make it seem like it's a must have, droves been crying for 🤔Thts not the reality of things.

But hey I feel you on tht.

There have been more than a few people at least on GAF asking for remasters of popular games. Just you're interested in playing older games doesn't mean others don't want it. It's a consumer-friendly feature for long-time platform supporters.

Just a few examples:

EA Gives Mass Effect Fans Hope with Confirmation of 'Exciting Remasters' Coming Soon

Mass Effect not remastered is criminal

Bethesda ported Doom 3: BFG Edition to Switch, PS4 and X1, why can't they do the same to Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

One way Bethesda could salvage some good will from the Fallout 76 subscription service.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas really do need to get Special Edition treatment like Skyrim.

Sony where are the other ps3 remasters for ps4?

Gamernyc78

Banned
There have been more than a few people at least on GAF asking for remasters of popular games. Just you're interested in playing older games doesn't mean others don't want it. It's a consumer-friendly feature for long-time platform supporters.

Just a few examples:

EA Gives Mass Effect Fans Hope with Confirmation of 'Exciting Remasters' Coming Soon

Mass Effect not remastered is criminal

Bethesda ported Doom 3: BFG Edition to Switch, PS4 and X1, why can't they do the same to Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

One way Bethesda could salvage some good will from the Fallout 76 subscription service.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas really do need to get Special Edition treatment like Skyrim.

Sony where are the other ps3 remasters for ps4?

No one Said their aren't ppl interested in it in here. Again your on a forum with enthusiasts tht make up a small minority of overall gamers. And even within these forums you have as many tht don't care about it. The reality is it isn't a system seller or this must have tht changes tides in selling consoles. My argument still stands the posts you attached aren't invalidating my stance. Ps4 itself is evidence enough with over 100 million sold and didnt have ps3 bc 😊

Either way hopefully it's true for the ppl tht do care. I'm for more options in anything.

Last edited:

CatLady

No one Said their aren't ppl interested in it in here. Again your on a forum with enthusiasts tht make up a small minority of overall gamers. And even within these forums you have as many tht don't care about it. The reality is it isn't a system seller or this must have tht changes tides in selling consoles. My argument still stands the posts you attached aren't invalidating my stance. Ps4 itself is evidence enough with over 100 million sold and didnt have ps3 bc 😊

Either way hopefully it's true for the ppl tht do care. I'm for more options in anything.

One more time - I'm NOT saying it's system seller, at least not for the majority of gamers. What I'm saying is it's a consumer-friendly feature that should be included. I would be thoroughly disgusted if Xbox didn't give us BC out of the gate this time. I was not happy they didn't have it at launch on the XOne. I stayed with my 360 and didn't buy a One until later.

Gamernyc78

Banned
One more time - I'm NOT saying it's system seller, at least not for the majority of gamers. What I'm saying is it's a consumer-friendly feature that should be included. I would be thoroughly disgusted if Xbox didn't give us BC out of the gate this time. I was not happy they didn't have it at launch on the XOne. I stayed with my 360 and didn't buy a One until later.

And I agree with this sentiment. I hope thy all continue to have it moving forward for the interested groups. It's like how I know some ppl don't care for psvr but now tht I have it, luv it, I'd be mad if ps5 didn't support it regardless if it's niche or not.

Last edited:

DonF

Its not something that I would use all the time, but sometimes I get the nostalgic feeling of playing old ass games like brave fencer musashi, vagrant story or viewtiful joe.

I would love it if the ps5 is the ultimate Playstation Machine and Sony gets the store right (with all the legal ramifications) so that I could buy those classic.

Damn....vidya should have a system like movies and residuals for actors, but for games and companies.

Top Bottom