• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 could possibly play PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs

Hostile_18

Banned
Its not something that I would use all the time, but sometimes I get the nostalgic feeling of playing old ass games like brave fencer musashi, vagrant story or viewtiful joe.

I would love it if the ps5 is the ultimate Playstation Machine and Sony gets the store right (with all the legal ramifications) so that I could buy those classic.

Damn....vidya should have a system like movies and residuals for actors, but for games and companies.

I'd like to say in the last 10 years or so all these situations would be covered in the initial contracts but licenced properties are still a problem to this day, with games getting removed from the store, music changed etc.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
And I agree with this sentiment. I hope thy all continue to have it moving forward for the interested groups. It's like how I know some ppl don't care for psvr but now tht I have it, luv it, I'd be mad if ps5 didn't support it regardless if it's niche or not.

Now that semantics are finally out of the way I think we are in agreement -:messenger_grinning_squinting:
I'm one of those people that doesn't like VR but I hope MS allows 3rd party developers to offer it for Xbox for those that DO like it. That would also be the consumer-friendly way to go.
More options=better gaming for all.

SS501

Neo Member
PS3 would be nice but i wouldn't use the PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility due to how bad games look on HD TVs.
Unless they did BC through an emulator inside the PS5 that would automatically upscale the internal resolution of games like actual emulators do it, though i am sure then not all games would work and other games would have bugs and glitches.

ironmang

How many people "ACTUALLY" have working PSone and PS2 disc games?

While I don't play them frequently, partly due to space limiting which consoles I have setup , every PS1 or PS2 game I've tried over the last 5 years has worked flawlessly.

Would love to be able to get rid of my PS2, PS3, and PS4 as well as all those controllers. While not a system selling feature personally as I'm buying a PS5 no matter what, I think good will gestures are important and this would be an amazing one.

PS4 can't read CD's, so unless Sony pay for that to be added back in to PS5, you're looking at digital repurchases of yer old PS1 games.

Only technical barrier to any previous system is probably Cell emulation. And if MS can get 360 running on half clocked Jaguar cores, maybe Sony can pull a solid Cell emulator out of Zen 2.

Wouldn't put it past a console vendor to crack full BC, but then only let you use games you've purchased again from their store.

Hostile_18

Banned
PS4 can't read CD's, so unless Sony pay for that to be added back in to PS5, you're looking at digital repurchases of yer old PS1 games.

Only technical barrier to any previous system is probably Cell emulation. And if MS can get 360 running on half clocked Jaguar cores, maybe Sony can pull a solid Cell emulator out of Zen 2.

Wouldn't put it past a console vendor to crack full BC, but then only let you use games you've purchased again from their store.

I wonder how much it costs to read CDs? It must be pennies (if its licensing were talking about).

Still a bit bitter the PS Pro couldn't read UHD discs.

I wonder how much it costs to read CDs? It must be pennies (if its licensing were talking about).

I can't imagine it costs much. I can't find anything on it easily on Google thanks to all the stuff about CD music. I mean, there aren't even any codecs involved.

Maybe the lasers that can read cd / dvd / bluray cost a bit extra. Or maybe they think they'd need to support vcd and mp3, which probably would cost.

Or maybe ... I dunno!

Ozrimandias

Digital....Digital

I will be able to play all the games that digitally i purchased trhough 2008 till now? PSone and Ps2 Classic, Ps3 Games and Ps4 games? (I dont give a shit about triphy support for psone and ps2 classic). If yes, count me day one.

Hostile_18

Banned
Just imagine one box it plays:

Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation 4
Playstation 5
PSP (digital only)
Playstation Vita (digital only)
PSVR
PSVR 2
Netflix,
Apple tv
Disney +
Now tv
Amazon Prime
CD music
DVD Movies
Blu Ray movies
UHD Movies
YouTube

😍😍

Only thing left to add would be;

3587a6a05be9395ba4ed8200f8f08d35-full.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont know about playing actual PS1 or PS2 disks, but i expect PS5 to be able to download PS1 and PS2 games on PS5. I think thats the way forward and how consoles will be from now on, machines that can play games from all generations, but you have to buy them and download them, except like PS4 or PS3 games that you bought digitally of course.

Hostile_18

Banned
I dont know about playing actual PS1 or PS2 disks, but i expect PS5 to be able to download PS1 and PS2 games on PS5. I think thats the way forward and how consoles will be from now on, machines that can play games from all generations, but you have to buy them and download them, except like PS4 or PS3 games that you bought digitally of course.

I really hope its discs as well because otherwise we will only see about 5-10% of the PS2 catalogue for example... if were lucky.

Weiji

Banned
Not planning to buy any consoles going forward. But I have a massive back collection of PS 1,2,3 games.

If this came true, which I doubt, then yeah I would pick up a PS5.

Fbh

Ps3 would be awesome. I have a fairly large collection of games and nowhere to used them right now

theHFIC

I can't see Sony doing this for every game ever released on their home platforms. Too many games across generations used hacks or different hardware shortcuts to accomplish their goals that just can't be reproduced easily in emulation. Sony can't quality check and cater every title ever. The second this would be released everyone would focus on all the games that don't work properly instead of the ones that do. Not even MS was doing that with Xbox BC, they only released packs for specific games at a time.

I hope Sony focuses more on moving forward (WITH PS4 backward compatibility) and leaves the rest behind. It would be great to have them all, but no way Sony could do it for every console without having everyone focus on the negatives of it than the positives.

Hostile_18

Banned
I can't see Sony doing this for every game ever released on their home platforms. Too many games across generations used hacks or different hardware shortcuts to accomplish their goals that just can't be reproduced easily in emulation. Sony can't quality check and cater every title ever. The second this would be released everyone would focus on all the games that don't work properly instead of the ones that do. Not even MS was doing that with Xbox BC, they only released packs for specific games at a time.

I hope Sony focuses more on moving forward (WITH PS4 backward compatibility) and leaves the rest behind. It would be great to have them all, but no way Sony could do it for every console without having everyone focus on the negatives of it than the positives.

The Playstation 2 played Playstation 1 games no problem and the original PS3 played all 2 and 1 games, so the only question would be PS3 games. I think most would be fine with a disclaimer just like boost mode of the PRO warning there may be issues but service is offered as is etc.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here but I honestly could give a shit about backwards compatibility. I bought a PS5 to play new games, not fuckin Battle Arena Toshinden.

NickFire

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here but I honestly could give a shit about backwards compatibility. I bought a PS5 to play new games, not fuckin Battle Arena Toshinden.
I want backwards compatibility for PS4 just because of digital and cross play with games like Fortnite. But anything past that seems like a waste of resources.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I still have all of my old PS games. I wouldn't need to buy anything. It'd be nice to see them all playable on one system, but when the PS4 can easily play PSX and PS2 games, but Sony decides to resell them instead, I'll believe it when I see it.

I will give you the DVD based PS2 games, but where did you read PS4’s Blu-Ray drive is able to read CD’s?

Hostile_18

Banned
I want backwards compatibility for PS4 just because of digital and cross play with games like Fortnite. But anything past that seems like a waste of resources.

The emulators for PS1 and PS2 already exist, so resource wise it would hardly cost anything. Seems like a mega cheap investment to have a key differentiator.

Vawn

Banned
Really? Why do I see PS4 owners frequently crying about wanting remasters for Mass Effect, FO3/NV, RDR etc? With 1 X enhancements & BC we essentially have free remasters on Xbox if we already own those games. Also it seems like the PS3 exclusive remasters like TLoU and UC collection sold pretty well on the PS4.

Yes, really. I didn't say PS players wouldn't want it. But just look at the sales of consoles. Switch and PS4 are selling at all-time places, neither has BC.

Hostile_18

Banned
In the beginning of the generation, you would be able to replay some old favorites and advance in your PS4 backlog. Worth it IMHO.

Games like Silent Hill should not be lost to the sands of time as well! Some classics are just as good today as they were back then, especially true of horror games.

Weiji

Banned
Bored of modern games, or you have a huge backlog?

Due to work and other responsibilities i rarely have the 2-4 hours of time I’d like for a hardcore sit down gaming session. If I do I’m happy to just play what I have.

Honestly most of my gaming is phone based and free at this point. Granted that’s rarely as fun as “real” games, but it’s easy if I’ve got a spare 30 minutes.

If PlayStation still had backwords compatibility I’d pick one up as a catch all for my collection, streaming and probably pick up a new version of Skyrim / GTA5 / anything else that catches my fancy.

But the $500 expense just isn’t worth it to me anymore unless it’s going to let me easily play what I’ve already got.

You can probably guess which version of the PS3 I own.

The PS4 drive has the ability to technically, the system just lacks the software/licensing codec.

You certain about that? I mean it might have, but early DVD drives had separate lasers for CDs. I image there could be some way to make cheaper DVD drives by reducing the support parameters of the drive.

dilbag

it would be amazing had full BC but also added in support to run the games at a higher resolution and fps.

MS killed it in this area, playing ninja gaiden black at a higher frame rate was amazing. I guess we shall see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You certain about that? I mean it might have, but early DVD drives had separate lasers for CDs. I image there could be some way to make cheaper DVD drives by reducing the support parameters of the drive.

It is no different than any other Bluray drive, other than the codecs. It is not some special proprietary part with lasers omitted. There was a breakdown of it posted here with documents showing it was essentially the same spec, as was in the XB1 (which had the codecs) before they put UHD in the S model.

You may be able to find the posts in the next-gen OT.

Last edited:

PSFan

Just the ability to play PS1/PS2 discs would make the PS5 a day one buy for me, regardless of the PS5 launch library. I still have all my discs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The PS4 drive has the ability to technically, the system just lacks the software/licensing codec.

Yup, I stand corrected and can quote N Negotiator :):

theHFIC

The Playstation 2 played Playstation 1 games no problem and the original PS3 played all 2 and 1 games, so the only question would be PS3 games. I think most would be fine with a disclaimer just like boost mode of the PRO warning there may be issues but service is offered as is etc.
The PS3 with the PS2 hardware in it (the $$$ version) had the best compatibility. The software emulator for the PS2 in the PS3 was spotty at best for a number of titles. It worked, just not flawless and everyone will be gunning for Sony if they don't hit 100% compatibility unless they prepare people ahead of time with that information.

Man I bought most of my games on my Xbox instead of my PS2 because they ran better on that. I'm gonna be pissed if Sony announces full PS2 BC and Microsoft doesn't do shit.

Edit: Same with 360/PS3...Microsoft don't let me down.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TLZ
So long as they handle it better than the high prices of their ps1/2 games on the PS4 (better prices, wider selection)... And it would be nice if they let people use their old discs.

OrionNebula

I’d be VERY happy about this

Aaahhhh... just to think I’d get to play the original, un-raped version of Silent Hill 2 (&3), along with all the rest of my collection, all in a single game box

thelastword

Banned
The great thing about this is that it opens more sales opportunities for these old games on Sony's store...... I think they should categorize games from all era's though. So if you want a PS1 game, just go to the PS1 section, the bonus would be 4k 60fps, with the patented enhanced textures and trophies...... Still, getting a digital store with 4 generations worth of PS games all auto-enhanced is a huge undertaking....... Just straight bonkers if you ask me.....

I still have a huge tennis bag filled with PS3 games, I have a few PS2 games on disc and no PS1 disc games anymore, but I have quite a few digital PS1 and PS2 games......... So it's looking like Sony will have to offer quite a bit of the PS1 and PS2 games digitally, people will buy them in droves if they are uprezzed to 4k with graphical enhancements and trophies. So it's a win win for Sony.

Pantz

Gold Member
Would be super nice if I could retire my PS3 before it kicks the bucket. Just bought 3 cool PS2 JRPG's on eBay.

Top Bottom