• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Create button 4K HDR 60 fps gameplay capture sample, pretty good!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems pretty good and sharp, not as sharp as external recorders I've seen from professional youtube channels reviewing Spiderman and other games, but very good. Seems to be compressed in WebM to save a lot of space:

Gives you 4K@60fps HDR record up to 15min. If you want more, you should use PS5's share factory app.

Amazing input here by K Kerlurk !

That MLB The Show 20 capture is amazing.

I did testing of both the PS4 (720p) and PS4 Pro (1080p) and uploaded to Youtube and only the PS4 Pro footage was kinda of acceptable. Could be better for sure.

I been working on a document that helps identify all the options for recording and uploading, and this is my research so far. Will update it, after I get my PS5, and get more info.

NOTE: this is a work in progress, and is quite incomplete.

PS4, PS4 Pro to PS5 - Video Encoding/Decoding

Last Updated: July 2020

PS4 2013
AVC 720p30 (~5 Mbps)

PS4 Pro 2016
AVC 1080p30 (~10 Mbps)
YT streaming > AVC 1080p60 (TESTED)

PS4/Pro: Can Use an external 3rd Party device:
(Allows recording up to 4K60 depending on the device)
- Elgato Game Capture HD60 S - H.264/AVC 1080p60 via HDMI
- Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro Capture card (requires a PC) - 4K60 via HDMI (supports both AVC/H.264 and HEVC/H.265)

PS4/PS4 Pro:
Always recording, as the last 15 mins of gameplay can be saved.
If the player initiated recording, then max 60 mins recording time.
Save video clips as .mp4, so can be exported to USB to play on PC.
Do not support HEVC, as does not have an encoder/decoder in hardware: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html

PS5 2020
- Has H.265 encode/decode in RDNA2 based GPU supporting up to:
- 1080p 360 fps 8/10b
- 4K 90 fps 8/10p
So video recording for streaming/clips will be far superior over PS4.
Does not have WebM (VP9) encoding in hardware, only decoding. Option to run encoding on Zen 2 CPU Cores?
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/rdna-whitepaper.pdf

Note: when it comes to streaming. All the biggest streamers on Youtube stream at 1080p60.

Twitch

Live Streaming/Uploading
H.264/AVC
1080p60 (6 Mbps)
1080p30 (4.5 Mbps)
720p60 (4.5 Mbps)
720p30 (3 Mbps)
https://stream.twitch.tv/encoding/

Youtube
Live Streaming/Uploading
H.264/AVC
2160p60 (20-51 Mbps)
2160p30 (13-34 Mbps)
1440p60 (9-18 Mbps)
1440p30 (6-13 Mbps)
1080p60 (4.5-9 Mbps)
1080p30 (3-6 Mbps)
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702

Local Drive: HDD/SSD
Save files to local drive.
Copy to USB? Yes for PS4/Pro.
Play AVC or HEVC from USB?

H.264/AVC (2003 to 2019) and H.265/HEVC (2013 to 2016)
- evolving standards that have provided greater support and features over time
- HEVC offers from 25% to 50% better data compression at the same level of video quality or 25% to 50% better video quality at the same file size.
- AVC only supports 8-bit color
- HEVC supports 8-bit and 10-bit color
- July 2020 H.266 released but too late to be incorporated into PS5 chipset
- all 4K TV's support H.265/HEVC
Politics: both AVC and HEVC require royalties to be paid. It's the hardware manufacturers that include these standards in their hardware, and not surprisingly they are also the same players that own the patents and are collecting the royalties.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is excellent.
The fact that PS4 couldn't record videos in HDR so all colors were off when you were playing games with HDR was a pain in the ass.
An other benefit is that since PS5 always output in HDR there won't be transition screens/pauses on the TV anymore.

Yup, it's a great step for many. You'll see many content creators on PS5 as they are budget-tight and can't afford a dedicated PC. That Share Factory Studio seems pretty solid. Tried the first one on PS4 and it was decent.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This looks very, very good indeed. No ghosting at all and only minor artifacting. It's basically on par with the quality of the latest Demon's Souls State of Play video IMHO.

Hope this means more and more people will get in the habit of uploading gameplay videos that don't look like a crunched potato.

Yup, the artifacts are pretty minor, I'm extremely surprised actually.

This will capture my mutants fighting till death in the next WWE game on glorious 4k :messenger_savoring:

I wonder if it captures at output res or not, as in when using 1080p TV, is it 1080p or 4k recording, assuming game would be 4k ready otherwise

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This will capture my mutants fighting till death in the next WWE game on glorious 4k :messenger_savoring:

I wonder if it captures at output res or not, as in when using 1080p TV, is it 1080p or 4k recording, assuming game would be 4k ready otherwise

You choose the record quality and length. You can have it automatically record the last 15min, or more via Share Factory Studio.

benzy

Was wondering about this, thanks for confirming 4K 60fps captures!

so if we want to capture longer than 15 minutes we have to use Share Factory App? How does that work in capturing vids.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Was wondering about this, thanks for confirming 4K 60fps captures!

so if we want to capture longer than 15 minutes we have to use Share Factory App? How does that work in capturing vids.

And HDR! You run it, and jump to the game. Here is an old video I made previously, 30 minutes: (Arabic though, but you get the idea)

Last edited:

nowhat

lqKlotB.png

nowhat

i mean the compression when we share from ps4 towards other platform. for example to facebook.

what make it worse, facebook's own compression make it even worse.
That's beyond Sony, innit? You want pristine screenshots, transfer them to a USB stick and upload to wherever.

(having said that, upload options to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc from the console itself would be nice)

Kumomeme

That's beyond Sony, innit? You want pristine screenshots, transfer them to a USB stick and upload to wherever.

(having said that, upload options to Dropbox/Google Drive/etc from the console itself would be nice)

apparently compared to xbox one, ps4 has inferior screenshot compression. this not taken account on another third party platform compression. it already greatly compressed before shared. it four time compressed compared to xbox one if i not mistaken.

and when send to other platform, for example twitter, the screenshot also end up smaller than native resolution it was captured+greatly compressed again. this might be something beyond sony but even before this step, it already greatly compressed. xbox one does better job.

correct me if i wrong.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doctor, is it bad if just reading the thread title I knew who was the poster that wrote it?

On topic, it looks really nice!

So many people are antagonizing me. I'm as innocent as it gets.

i4bYyGo.gif

This feature gonna be big for content creators, no excuses for shitty 1080p-720p uploads.

how about screenshot? on ps4 the compression is terrible.

You choose PNG to avoid compression.

nowhat

apparently compared to xbox one, ps4 has inferior screenshot compression. this not taken account on another third party platform compression. it already greatly compressed before shared. it four time compressed compared to xbox one if i not mistaken.

and when send to other platform, for example twitter, the screenshot also end up smaller than native resolution it was captured+greatly compressed again. this might be something beyond sony but even before this step, it already greatly compressed. xbox one does better job.

correct me if i wrong.
I'll correct you right away. PNG is an uncompressed file format. What happens when that image is transferred to other platforms is another issue - but that PNG screenshot will be a 1:1 match to what is being displayed on the screen. Without HDR though (on PS4).

Kumomeme

You choose PNG to avoid compression.

i always did this. but my concern is when we share to other social media platform. kind of suck when want to share something on facebook or twitter for example. i just end up upload it manually from usb drive. would be nice if we can share accceptable quality screenshot without much hassle

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I'll correct you right away. PNG is an uncompressed file format. What happens when that image is transferred to other platforms is another issue - but that PNG screenshot will be a 1:1 match to what is being displayed on the screen. Without HDR though (on PS4).
yep that what i always do. thanks though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
i always did this. but my concern is when we share to other social media platform. kind of suck when want to share something on facebook or twitter for example. i just end up upload it manually from usb drive. would be nice if we can share accceptable quality screenshot without much hassle

Ok I get you, yes I download them on a usb first before sharing.

DonF

Great, cause PS4 captures video lowers the quality, a lot. Specially 60fps footage.
Even the pro destroy the quality of footage.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great, cause PS4 captures video lowers the quality, a lot. Specially 60fps footage.
Even the pro destroy the quality of footage.

Yup it's a big improvement. It was near useless to use share factory due to this issue. PS4 uses 720p, PS4 Pro 1080p.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That MLB The Show 20 capture is amazing.

I did testing of both the PS4 (720p) and PS4 Pro (1080p) and uploaded to Youtube and only the PS4 Pro footage was kinda of acceptable. Could be better for sure.

I been working on a document that helps identify all the options for recording and uploading, and this is my research so far. Will update it, after I get my PS5, and get more info.

NOTE: this is a work in progress, and is quite incomplete.

PS4, PS4 Pro to PS5 - Video Encoding/Decoding

Last Updated: July 2020

PS4 2013
AVC 720p30 (~5 Mbps)

PS4 Pro 2016
AVC 1080p30 (~10 Mbps)
YT streaming > AVC 1080p60 (TESTED)

PS4/Pro: Can Use an external 3rd Party device:
(Allows recording up to 4K60 depending on the device)
- Elgato Game Capture HD60 S - H.264/AVC 1080p60 via HDMI
- Elgato Game Capture 4K60 Pro Capture card (requires a PC) - 4K60 via HDMI (supports both AVC/H.264 and HEVC/H.265)

PS4/PS4 Pro:
Always recording, as the last 15 mins of gameplay can be saved.
If the player initiated recording, then max 60 mins recording time.
Save video clips as .mp4, so can be exported to USB to play on PC.
Do not support HEVC, as does not have an encoder/decoder in hardware: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html

PS5 2020
- Has H.265 encode/decode in RDNA2 based GPU supporting up to:
- 1080p 360 fps 8/10b
- 4K 90 fps 8/10p
So video recording for streaming/clips will be far superior over PS4.
Does not have WebM (VP9) encoding in hardware, only decoding. Option to run encoding on Zen 2 CPU Cores?
https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/rdna-whitepaper.pdf

Note: when it comes to streaming. All the biggest streamers on Youtube stream at 1080p60.

Twitch

Live Streaming/Uploading
H.264/AVC
1080p60 (6 Mbps)
1080p30 (4.5 Mbps)
720p60 (4.5 Mbps)
720p30 (3 Mbps)
https://stream.twitch.tv/encoding/

Youtube
Live Streaming/Uploading
H.264/AVC
2160p60 (20-51 Mbps)
2160p30 (13-34 Mbps)
1440p60 (9-18 Mbps)
1440p30 (6-13 Mbps)
1080p60 (4.5-9 Mbps)
1080p30 (3-6 Mbps)
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702

Local Drive: HDD/SSD
Save files to local drive.
Copy to USB? Yes for PS4/Pro.
Play AVC or HEVC from USB?

H.264/AVC (2003 to 2019) and H.265/HEVC (2013 to 2016)
- evolving standards that have provided greater support and features over time
- HEVC offers from 25% to 50% better data compression at the same level of video quality or 25% to 50% better video quality at the same file size.
- AVC only supports 8-bit color
- HEVC supports 8-bit and 10-bit color
- July 2020 H.266 released but too late to be incorporated into PS5 chipset
- all 4K TV's support H.265/HEVC
Politics: both AVC and HEVC require royalties to be paid. It's the hardware manufacturers that include these standards in their hardware, and not surprisingly they are also the same players that own the patents and are collecting the royalties.

Crazy details, mate! Some people don't understand how wonderful this is on PS5, it's like having a workstation to make videos!

Top Bottom