• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Design

juliotendo

What should we expect? Each generation of PlayStation always has a radical change in design and it’s hard to predict what Sony will do.

I’ve always thought Sony should get some inspiration from the PS2 and incorporate some design cues from that console and modernize it for 2020. The PS2 has such an iconic design that it would be cool to see it modernized.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm hoping they don't try to reference PS2 but rather go more towards the style of the original Playstation. I want a lid on the top that flips up. I want it to have round buttons. I want it to look like a video game console, not another slick media box.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Console-sm2.jpg

bitbydeath

Callback to the PS1. (25 years)
Raise the lid higher where you usually place the disc. Turn it into a slot instead of an open/closer cover. (As it’s now raised there is room)
Keep the rest the same with additional inputs added in place of the controller slots.

PlayStation-1-console.png

I’d edit the image to show what I mean but I’m at work so hopefully it makes sense.

Last edited:

Norse

What should we expect? Each generation of PlayStation always has a radical change in design and it’s hard to predict what Sony will do.

I’ve always thought Sony should get some inspiration from the PS2 and incorporate some design cues from that console and modernize it for 2020. The PS2 has such an iconic design that it would be cool to see it modernized.

The Xbox One s and x kind of remind me of the PS2 design. Especially when using their stands. Would be cool if Sony did something to borrow from the PS2 design.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Something with good airflow. Preferably black or white. Preferably something that looks nice in an equipment closet.

But they are designing this for gamers, who have shown time an again to have the worst taste know to man. So it will likely be ugly, gaudy and feel like a kids toy.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm hoping they don't try to reference PS2 but rather go more towards the style of the original Playstation. I want a lid on the top that flips up. I want it to have round buttons. I want it to look like a video game console, not another slick media box.
They will never do a flip up lid because it's not practical for storage purposes, majority of people have their console sitting in some sort of TV unit and there is not enough room on top. The shape has to also be practical, it will be some sort of box.

I'm glad some of you aren't in charge of designing this, It would be like that Simpson's episode where Herb leaves Homer in charge of designing a new car!

54c00ed775eb07ccd7072f484def7122.gif

Breakage

Why are fan-made console concepts often so bad?
I think it will be hard for Sony to top the design of the original PS4.

Texas Pride

Banned
The one thing holding VR back is the lack of sex games on console. Have move controllers double as vibrators and interactive sex toys and watch that shit take off.

Codes 208

I honestly want it to continue the diagonal look of the ps4 family. Or cross the best aspects of the ps4, ps3 slim and Xbox one s.
Just keep it simple, something like this:

2f52078639fe8e73b38ed37defb8e1f4

Add a blue LED bar across bottom the front, extra vents on top, and there you go.
Lol no. the OG Xbox one model got enough shit for looking like a vcr, one gen later looking like a DVD/Blu-ray player isn’t an improvement.

klosos

Just make it simple box with a MATT black finish , thats it. No black gloss dust collecting ,finger print keeping monstrosity please

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I don't care how the PS5 designed. What matter is the design will make sure the unit will get enough airflow cooling so it doesn't sound like a jet engine.
Yeah, I care a lot more about the design choices made on the inside than the outside.

More specifically, as you say, the design of the cooling system.

I’m confident I’ll be happy with most anything when it comes to the aesthetics of the exterior.

Top Bottom