• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Platform PS5, DualSense and NGVR: Cloudy with a chance of the metaverse?

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
This post is one of three (the second can be read here, the third can be read here) that started off as a reply I couldn't post before the PS5/XSX tech speculation thread closed. I decided to thread the reply to catch as many eyeballs as possible and maybe spark some discussion.

Back when the tech thread was still open, LiquidRex commented on a series of streaming/cloud-gaming related patents largely credited to Cerny. At the time, I assumed the patents were targeted at improving PS Now because of what Cerny told Wired three months after they were first filed on 10 Jan. 2019:

we are cloud-gaming pioneers, and our vision should become clear as we head toward launch” -- Mark Cerny

About a month after Cerny's interview, Jim Ryan spoke about SIE's midterm PS Now plans which the company has acted on starting with 1080p support for PS Now; but I think bigger cloud-gaming related things are in the works. There are two overlapping patents that I think point to what those things are. One patent is for a network-centric Bluetooth/Wi-Fi-enabled "game controller" invented by Ken Kutaragi. The other patent is for a traditional Bluetooth/Wi-Fi-enabled controller.

Entries [0029], [0031], [0033], [0035], [0036] [0037] [0038], [0041], [0042] of Kutaragi's patent seem to describe a handheld device (referred to as an "operation device") that can connect directly to a user's home console (referred to as a "home-use computer" and "home server") or to a user's home console through a friend's home console (referred to as a "home-use computer" and "relay device") and/or to a network server (referred to as a "server computer") via Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi in homes, at public transit stations, etc. to initiate a game streaming session via Remote Play.

Entries [0049], [0050], [0051], [0052], [0059], [0060], [0061], [0062], [0063] of the Wi-fi enabled controller patent say that the controller transmits identical player inputs via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi at the same time (referred to as "paired messages") to both a console and a network game server in order to reduce input latency when playing a game stream. Latency reduction is achieved by accepting the fastest or strongest of the two identical player inputs and rejecting the slowest or weakest one.

The timing of an old Kutaragi patent that has console-to-console game streaming and controller connectivity implications being refiled in 2016 and granted an application three months before a second overlapping patent with controller connectivity implications was filed in 2019, suggests to me that PS5-to-PS5 game streaming via Remote Play is in the works and that DualSense is due to receive a firmware update that will enable it to connect directly to a distant PS5 or PS Now server via Wi-Fi for the purpose of reducing input lag even further.

These probable additions to Remote Play and DualSense paint a scenario in which a PS5 owner could visit a friend or family member who also has a PS5, grab a DualSense and from that friend or family member's PS5 log into their own PS5 as a visitor. Once in, the visitor could then pair the DS to their own PS5 via Wi-Fi and stream a game from their PS5 to the friend or family member's PS5 to be displayed and played with reduced input latency.

Since the above scenario is analogous to gaming from a PS Now server, users of PS Now on console and PC would also have a similar near-zero input latency experience via DualSense. There's also the prospect of DualSense extending the same latency performance to PS Now users on standalone TVs, phones and tablets once SIE gets the service on them as initially promised (timestamped). Prior to 2017, PS Now was on a range of home and portable devices. However, with the exception of Samsung TVs the service was limited to SONY products. Recently, Ryan said that SIE plans to maximize PS Now's off-console opportunities. That sounds like an intention to turn as many display devices as possible into PS Now devices regardless of their type or maker, which was the expectation long before 'cloud' became a buzzword:

"In the future, broadband will connect all appliances - console, TV, phone, PC, everything. Then exclusivity means nothing." -- Ken Kutaragi

Beyond the presumption of DualSense, another set of appliances that I think will have Wi-Fi connectivity is NGVR's spatial controllers. Reason being, in recent months Ryan offered this tidbit about SIE's yet to be announced cloud strategy:

“We could conceivably use the cloud for our technical infrastructure, but the cloud gaming experience we’re offering will be unique and only on PlayStation.” -- Jim Ryan

I can't think of anything more "unique" than a cloud-assisted metaverse-type of gaming social environment (a SOTG rep mentions the metaverse as the ideal achievement at 10:39 of this podcast) that blends AR and VR, wherein millions of people can play, spectate, create content, experience entertainment (e.g. games, movies, music, live sports/performances) and communicate (e.g. chat, livestream). If Ryan was hinting at that, then NGVR's spatial controllers will need to give users the ability to quickly manipulate interfaces and objects with imperceptible input latency. The presumed DualSense Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity tech I mused over earlier would make that possible.

I'm fairly confident that SIE will use NGVR and the cloud for a metaverse-type environment because it's long been a goal set by the company's grand visionary. On past occasions the Oracle (timestamped) would refer to it as a "cybercity" in relation to The Matrix, and on other occasions a "Cyber World" that fused the real and digital worlds. At E3 2005, SIE presented it as a global interconnected "Cyber Society". Even though Kaz Hirai said SIE failed to fully realize the "Cyber Society" concept on PS3 (timestamped), the company was at least successful in using PS3 to lay the groundwork for PlayStation's camera-based AR/VR ecosystem. During the PS3 era SONY also experimented with AR/VR HMD tech (timestamped). Undoubtedly, the lessons learned have helped shape NGVR's ecosystem into something that can realize the AR/VR environment Kutaragi envisioned leading up to PS3:

"In fact, he says, he's already identified PlayStation's next target. It's right in front of you: reality. "This," he says, waving an outstretched arm, "this is the real broadband interface."" -- Ken Kutaragi

"Kutaragi, known for the bold stroke and the grand vision, swung for the fences from the get-go. "We want to do something that has never been done before," he told Davari and a group of IBMers at their first meeting. "Let's work together to change the world." The movie The Matrix had just come out, and Kutaragi relished its premise of a world that is actually a giant computer simulation. "Think about creating a crude version of that world," he said, "where millions of people can play in a realistically rendered virtual Tokyo or New York City as if they are really living there."" -- Ken Kutaragi

Now more than ever SIE has everything it needs to take cloud-gaming by storm. Tech to lower input latency, a mature AR/VR ecosystem with the means to improve it in-house and a network infrastructure solid enough to host millions of "Cyber Society" members. For me, it's not a question of if it will happen but when it will happen. I believe we're right on the cusp of the Oracle's prophecy being fulfilled (i.e. SIE will "do something that has never been done before"). In the meantime though, the nine blue pills on Morpheus (timestamped), the airy stylistic moves of TrinitY (came from three groups, hence the 'Y' (timestamped)), the powers of Neo and regular training inside The Construct program (timestamped) will just have to pacify eager minds until they can "jack" into the next version of Kutaragi's Matrix-like metaverse.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Oct 2, 2019

reksveks

Jun 4, 2020
WiFi controllers ain't new?
The idea of distributed servers especially in the gaming space ain't new?

The metaverse ain't new and Facebook are leading the way

Last edited:

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
WiFi controllers ain't new?
The idea of distributed servers especially in the gaming space ain't new?

The metaverse ain't new and Facebook are leading the way

Didn't say they were.

It isn't leading in the console space.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.
Dec 1, 2020
Not reading all that. Make your point more concisely next time.

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
Not reading all that. Make your point more concisely next time.

That's fine, and I mean no offence when I say this: It wasn't posted for you.

It was posted for those who wouldn't mind reading a lengthy post. I was less interested in being brief; much more interested in being detailed, in support of my rationale.

Last edited:

reksveks

Jun 4, 2020
In the words of Steve Jobs, no one cares about "Fecebook." :messenger_beaming:
Sadly wrong about that, you wouldn't be the 5th biggest company in the world if no-one cared.

With probably twice as many devs working on ar/vr as the next company, they are currently the 700lb gorilla in the space and not even sure Apple will be in a position to overtake them.

Facebook needs to probably split oculus back out or at least remove the stupid policy of having a Facebook account. That's the current big flaw in their plan.