• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Platform PS5, DualSense and PS VR2: Into the Cyberverse?

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
A few months after Cerny told Wired: “we are cloud-gaming pioneers", the USPTO granted a PS3-era patent application for a cloud-related invention that never saw the light of day. SIE also filed a patent application for a new invention that overlaps with the cloud-related invention within the same timeframe. The PS3-era patent was for a network-centric Bluetooth/Wi-Fi-enabled "game controller" invented by Ken Kutaragi. The other patent was for a Bluetooth/Wi-Fi-enabled controller of the DualShock/DualSense variety.

Entries [0029], [0031], [0033], [0035], [0036] [0037] [0038], [0041], [0042] of Kutaragi's patent seem to describe a handheld device (referred to as an "operation device") that can connect directly to a user's home console (referred to as a "home-use computer" and "home server") or to a user's home console through a friend's home console (referred to as a "home-use computer" and "relay device") and/or to a network server (referred to as a "server computer") via Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi in homes, at public transit stations, etc. to initiate a game streaming session via Remote Play.

Entries [0049], [0050], [0051], [0052], [0059], [0060], [0061], [0062], [0063] of the Wi-fi enabled controller patent say that the controller transmits identical player inputs via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi at the same time (referred to as "paired messages") to both a console and a network game server in order to reduce input latency when playing a game stream. Latency reduction is achieved by accepting the fastest or strongest of the two identical player inputs and rejecting the slowest or weakest one.

The timing of the patent's filings, re-filings and grants as well as the functionality they describe suggest to me that DualSense is due to receive a firmware update that will enable it to connect directly to a distant PS5 or PS Now server via Wi-Fi to further reduce input latency. If this is a coming feature to DualSense, then it would also make sense for it to be a feature of PS VR2's spatial controllers so that they can connect directly to servers hosting a virtual environment. In recent months Ryan offered this tidbit about SIE's yet to be announced cloud strategy:

“We could conceivably use the cloud for our technical infrastructure, but the cloud gaming experience we’re offering will be unique and only on PlayStation.” -- Jim Ryan

I can't think of anything more "unique" than a game-centric "metaverse"-type of space (a SOTG rep mentions the metaverse as the ideal achievement at 10:39 of this podcast) that blends AR and VR, wherein millions of people can communicate (e.g. chat, livestream), play, spectate, create content and experience general entertainment (e.g. movies, music, live sports/performances). In such a social/gaming environment, PS VR2's spatial controllers will need to give users the ability to precisely manipulate interfaces and objects with imperceptible input latency. The presumed DualSense Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity patents I mused over earlier would make that possible, and all of it (i.e. some sort of AR/VR "metaverse" and PS VR2's ecosystem) would finally complete the world of PlayStation and put the brand in a unique position IMO.

The brand's grand visionary set this as a goal, so it must be achieved regardless of who the CEO is. When the Oracle (timestamped) presided, he would talk about the creation of a "cybercity" in relation to The Matrix, or "Cyber World" that fused the real world and cyberspace together. At E3 2005, SIE presented the concept as a global interconnected "Cyber Society". Even though Kaz Hirai said SIE failed to fully realize the "Cyber Society" concept on PS3 (timestamped), the company was at least successful in using PS3 to lay the groundwork for PlayStation's camera-based AR and VR ecosystems. During the PS3-era SONY also developed/experimented with AR HMD tech (timestamped). I have no doubt that PS VR2's ecosystem will also be developed with AR in mind; partly to fully realize the game-centric "Cyber city/World/Society" Kutaragi had his sights on just prior to PS2 and in the lead up to PS3:

"In fact, he says, he's already identified PlayStation's next target. It's right in front of you: reality. "This," he says, waving an outstretched arm, "this is the real broadband interface."" -- Ken Kutaragi

"Kutaragi, known for the bold stroke and the grand vision, swung for the fences from the get-go. "We want to do something that has never been done before," he told Davari and a group of IBMers at their first meeting. "Let's work together to change the world." The movie The Matrix had just come out, and Kutaragi relished its premise of a world that is actually a giant computer simulation. "Think about creating a crude version of that world," he said, "where millions of people can play in a realistically rendered virtual Tokyo or New York City as if they are really living there."" -- Ken Kutaragi

For me, it's not a question of if the "Cyber Society" will emerge but rather when it will emerge. I believe we're right on the cusp of the Oracle's prophecy (i.e. SIE will "do something that has never been done before") being fulfilled. The wait is almost over. Until then, the nine blue pills on Morpheus (timestamped), the airy stylistic moves of TrinitY (came from three groups within SIE, hence the 'Y' (timestamped)), the powers of Neo and regular training inside The Construct program (timestamped) will just have to pacify eager minds until they can "jack" into the next version of Kutaragi's Matrix-like cyber world.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Oct 2, 2019

reksveks

Jun 4, 2020
WiFi controllers ain't new?
The idea of distributed servers especially in the gaming space ain't new?

The metaverse ain't new and Facebook are leading the way

Last edited:

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
WiFi controllers ain't new?
The idea of distributed servers especially in the gaming space ain't new?

The metaverse ain't new and Facebook are leading the way

Didn't say they were.

It isn't leading in the console space.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.
Dec 1, 2020
Not reading all that. Make your point more concisely next time.

GAFfe machine

Dec 18, 2019
Not reading all that. Make your point more concisely next time.

That's fine, and I mean no offence when I say this: It wasn't posted for you.

It was posted for those who wouldn't mind reading a lengthy post. I was less interested in being brief; much more interested in being detailed, in support of my rationale.

Last edited:

reksveks

Jun 4, 2020
In the words of Steve Jobs, no one cares about "Fecebook." :messenger_beaming:
Sadly wrong about that, you wouldn't be the 5th biggest company in the world if no-one cared.

With probably twice as many devs working on ar/vr as the next company, they are currently the 700lb gorilla in the space and not even sure Apple will be in a position to overtake them.

Facebook needs to probably split oculus back out or at least remove the stupid policy of having a Facebook account. That's the current big flaw in their plan.