• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 focus is high performance, not high power. Are people underestimating the value of the approach?

As I've said in other threads, all they are getting on Xbox Series X is cross-platform games...... it's not next gen as we used to call it.

The only truly next gen console launching later this year is PS5, that is because it will get games designed around the new hardware. Not just higher resolution versions at 60 fps.... That is not a generational leap.

What they showed for Gears 5 was pathetic, if that is the extent to the benefits of XSX.
You can't be serious lol....

As I've said in other threads, all they are getting on Xbox Series X is cross-platform games...... it's not next gen as we used to call it.

The only truly next gen console launching later this year is PS5, that is because it will get games designed around the new hardware. Not just higher resolution versions at 60 fps.... That is not a generational leap.

What they showed for Gears 5 was pathetic, if that is the extent to the benefits of XSX.
Shhhhhh! 🤫

Don't tell them that or else they'll find out that Santa Claus doesn't exist as well 🤭

TBiddy

No, not even close.
This is literally unheard of.

Consoles get more advanced and thus have more custom features, comparatively, but optimizing and customizing has been the console business as long as I can remember.

Again - this is not to shit on the SSD in the PS5. It’s just odd to create a thread about how water is wet.

Edit: I’m not gonna dignify that other guy with an answer. At least you have an actual desire to debate.

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
People are definitely overestimating PS5s performance and underestimating XSX's performance. They are trying to save face but not all dreams are meant to come true. That’s why its important to plan and build another dream.
Sorry as long as Microsoft is not providing the biggest incentive to buy a console (exclusiveeee games!!!) They can't even touch Sony. The closest they came was Xbox 360 era and PS3 still outsold them 😂. In what parallel universe do you live? And this generation will not be different. You can take a screenshot and rub it in my face if I am wrong. As long as i can play Xbox games on PC there is not a single reason to get that box of plastic. The same goes for Sony. If they start to put all their games on PC they won't get my money.

geordiemp

Shhhhhh! 🤫

Don't tell them that or else they'll find out that Santa Claus doesn't exist as well 🤭

Its closer than people think, below is from other place, a GPU engine optimiser saying that GPU will be closer than the TF, its nice when someone has clue what they are talking about.

q2Ifi5c.png

opXm4V9.png

So 16 % is 2000p vs 2160p.....then add in the above factor and who knows...

Also the bandwidth per CU for both consoles is starting to look questionable., 560 being slowed down by the slower pool when using CPU is accessing the other slower memory if RAM > 10 GB, and 446 being shared with the CPU as well so less for the GPU.

Also note, calculate the bandwidth per CU in both cases, you divide bandwidth by the CU count...mmm

Interesting as hell and not as clear cut on both sides.

Maybe all is not as clear as it seems, we wait for the games !

Last edited:
What? Raytracing in Minecraft and Assassins Creed is going to make them totally new experiences? It will truly enrich the gameplay?

No, I don't think so.... and the huge CPU gains they made.... WASTED. WASTED on just porting multiplats and games tied to old hardware. Why even bother?

I reallly don't expect CPU usage to get that much better. look at the world RDR2 accomplished, i don't think things can get that much better, but ill take 60fps that a zen.

Its closer than people think, below is from other place, a GPU engine optimiser saying that GPU will be closer than the TF, its nice when someone has clue what they are talking about.

q2Ifi5c.png

opXm4V9.png

Also the bandwidth per CU for both is starting to look questionable., 560 being slowed down by the slower pool when using CU if RAM ? 10 GB, and 446 being shared with the CPU as well.

Interesting as hell.

Maybe all is not as clear as it seems, we wait for the games !
Wow, an actual developer and systems engineer giving his informed expertise on the matter?

I'm pretty sure Bernkastel Bernkastel will dismiss this as damage control from a secretive Pro-Sony Developer.

oldergamer

You do not get to judge what people want to do... as if there were not thread designed to gloat about XSX, discuss its PR presented tech points in detail, discuss the latest Phil comment split in tons of separate threads... and here you are basically saying “yeah I troll Sony threads to teach them a lesson, so what bruh?!?”.
So can you explain how or what is being under estimated on ps5?

Imo the speed difference on the ssd drive is like putting extra icing on top of a cake that already has icing on top. Imo it will really make a difference in:

1. when filling ram at first load or fast travel. Or switching between games

Im thinking this is the only area it will be faster at compared to xbox. If xbox can do it in 5 seconds, ps5 can possibly do it in 2.5 sec ( providing the load isnt tied to some kind of preprocessing and the load is big enough to hit the max bandwidth of the drive. When its all said and done and not theoretical discussion.

Any open world games out there still need to be smart about what they are loading based on the movement of a character. Most need to do this to prevent jerkiness for online multiplayer.

Smart loading isn't going away, and both consoles if they want to achieve seamless loading will need to reserve enough space for the new level and old lever to be at least partially resident in ram.

Xbox will have an advantage in wasting less cycles with shaders or only loading a portion of the textures (that could be more compressed then on ps5)

Imo the biggest question is how does the ssd speed drop off due to:

1. Heat
2. Size of the data read

The one thing both ms and sony didnt give was a minimum performance range. Is it 50MB up to the numbers listed?

bitbydeath

Consoles get more advanced and thus have more custom features, comparatively, but optimizing and customizing has been the console business as long as I can remember.

Again - this is not to shit on the SSD in the PS5. It’s just odd to create a thread about how water is wet.

Edit: I’m not gonna dignify that other guy with an answer. At least you have an actual desire to debate.

This thread isn’t about the SSD.
The SSD portion is ruled out with this statement.

our goal was not just that the SSD itself be a hundred times faster it was that game loads and streaming would be a hundred times faster

sneas78

Banned
I just don’t see how a faster ssd is going to give Sony 2 - 3TF ... to be equal to x ..but honestly I bought an X about 4 months ago. And there is nothing on the x that looks better then Whats on PS4. I have an original and ps pro. Games like the order 1886 God of War.. still looks better then Anything the 6TF can do. Hellblade looked pretty good that was the best I seen on the X. So what’s up? I believe art directing .. talent will show up passed the teraflops. But maybe the game is different now. If Xbox can pull out RAY TRACING .. that may be the difference in the end. I’m an old time gamer. I have all the consoles + PC GTX1070..so I’m pulling for everyone. Hope Sony can deliver too. But I just don’t see ssd making up for that amount of horse power. It’s under 10TF most of the time or around there right? How does Sony RT even work? They said Xbox can be at full 12TF even with RT on.. haven’t heard the same from Sony.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I just don’t see how a faster ssd is going to give Sony 3TF ... to be equal to x ..
In all fairness, I can't deny XBox Series X is more powerful than PS5..... but the difference is 1.8 Tflops, not 3.

Then what must be considered is, do you have faith in MS to use that extra horsepower for anything meaningful?
Will their games look better than a Sony first party title... I'm willing to bet that they won't.

That is my rather straightforward feelings on the entire matter.

Kagey K

Banned
In all fairness, I can't deny XBox Series X is more powerful than PS5..... but the difference is 1.8 Tflops, not 3.

Then what must be considered is, do you have faith in MS to use that extra horsepower for anything meaningful?
Will their games look better than a Sony first party title... I'm willing to bet that they won't.

That is my rather straightforward feelings on the entire matter.
None of those are answered yet, yet here you are with a definitive opinion in it.

It’s very interesting to watch.

Bryank75

Banned
None of those are answered yet, yet here you are with a definitive opinion in it.

It’s very interesting to watch.
Based on my experience through the last generation... it's all I can go on!

Forza is the only series that I really like on Xbox anymore, I lost interest in Halo, never liked Gears... for me all the exciting stuff is on PlayStation. Makes it fairly simple.

Kagey K

Banned
Based on my experience through the last generation... it's all I can go on!

Forza is the only series that I really like on Xbox anymore, I lost interest in Halo, never liked Gears... for me all the exciting stuff is on PlayStation. Makes it fairly simple.
Oof

Life would suck if I only plater first party games.

Kagey K

Banned
Tell us more braniac. Enlighten us. You probably have a bare mininum of technical knowledge and talk like you know shit. And we are doing the same. So please don't act you are smarter. Makes you look like a joke.
I’m not the one here trying to pretend 2+2=5. I’m reading and interpreting it like a normal person would.

If you want to attack me for that, you better show me how the rules have changed.

HawarMiran

Banned
I’m not the one here trying to pretend 2+2=5. I’m reading and interpreting it like a normal person would.

If you want to attack me for that, you better show me how the rules have changed.

Keep interpreting. Meanwhile I listen to what devs tell us about the PS5. People who know what they are talking about. Oh sorry I meant paid shills 🤡.

BTW I am not saying the PS5 is stronger than the X. Honestly I don't give a flying fuck about the power of the X

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I don't really give a shit because both SSD's and their subsystems will undoubtedly execute the same level of workloads extremely proficiently. Microsoft clearly put more money into their system, there's a reason their drive is the speed it is, there's a reason for their specific compression methods, there's a reason they decided on a wider bus and higher memory bandwidth.

They have a much wider array of tangible knowledge at their disposal to make the decisions they are.
This is so far from the truth its annoying.

This entire thread is pretty sad. Stop grasping at straws guys. The faster ssd isn’t going to mitigate the perf deficit to Xbox. Period. That doesn’t mean that it won’t be a great system or that the ps5 ssd won’t potentially allow for unique experiences in exclusives.

The extra bus width, higher peak ram bandwidth and outright higher perf of other components will either grant the x higher native res i.e. 1800p vs 2160p or allow a bit more overhead for higher quality in game settings. There should be nothing controversial in that statement given the glaringly obvious hardware disparity on show. But the difference will be there and it will be noticeable. I’m sorry if you can’t come to terms with that.

I’m gonna get both systems day 1. My very real concerns with the ps5 are this:-
  • Can it cool a 2.3GHz GPU without sounding like jet is taking off?
  • Will running such a high clock affect the longevity of the device?
  • Can the ps5 sustain such high clocks without throttling?
  • How will the ps5 handle ray tracing? Are we talking global illumination or is it more capable (looks like the x will have a huge perf increase here)?
  • Is ps5 fully backwards compatible with PS4? Will there be improvements to running games or will they be running at the same boost mode settings in ps4 pro?
  • Does ps5 support VRS?
  • How does the software stack compare to the Xbox Series X?
We don’t know the answers to these questions and I’m surprised that even the Sony die hards here aren’t at least somewhat concerned given how transparent Microsoft has been with everything.

bitbydeath

This entire thread is pretty sad. Stop grasping at straws guys. The faster ssd isn’t going to mitigate the perf deficit to Xbox. Period. That doesn’t mean that it won’t be a great system or that the ps5 ssd won’t potentially allow for unique experiences in exclusives.

The extra bus width, higher peak ram bandwidth and outright higher perf of other components will either grant the x higher native res i.e. 1800p vs 2160p or allow a bit more overhead for higher quality in game settings. There should be nothing controversial in that statement given the glaringly obvious hardware disparity on show. But the difference will be there and it will be noticeable. I’m sorry if you can’t come to terms with that.

• How will the ps5 handle ray tracing? Are we talking global illumination or is it more capable (looks like the x will have a huge perf increase here)?
  • Is ps5 fully backwards compatible with PS4? Will there be improvements to running games or will they be running at the same boost mode settings in ps4 pro?
  • Does ps5 support VRS?
We don’t know the answers to these questions and I’m surprised that even the Sony die hards here aren’t at least somewhat concerned given how transparent Microsoft has been with everything.

This thread isn’t about the SSD.

geordiemp

• Does ps5 support VRS?

• Patented 2 side cooling, go look up patent
  • See above
  • Go read beyond3D, likely GPU will be steady, CPU will drop
  • We dont know much about RT capability, likely Series X much better
  • Ps5 back compat Sony said yes recently to most titles.
  • Yes, called geometry engine, post from dev on era, says its better than VRS alone so wait and see
  • Software stack - no idea what your asking
Also the TF alone means about 2000p vs 2160p, you got your maths wrong. Try reading :

MjPXP76.png

4nyVckQ.png

Last edited:

sneas78

Banned
It won’t, but let them imagine for now.

Otherwise the topics here will only get worse.
What do you mean let them ? Did you not ready everything I said. I don’t have horse in this race. I have all consoles. Just trying to figure out what the differences in ssd speed but also a 1.8TF mean. Right now my Xbox X doesn’t have anything I like except Hellblade. That’s the one game I’d rather play on my X everything else is PS4. I do have xcloud too and I like how easy and it works really well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom