• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 games won't support VR, no support for at least 2 years.

oagboghi2

What drug are you on? There's no such thing as just a PSVR game. There are PS4 and PS5 games that are PSVR compatible. And we were just told that the second group will probably only be limited to 2 games. Some of you guys could get punched in the nuts by Jim Ryan and you would wince then turn around and ask for a kick in the ass just for the road.
"So, if you’re getting a PS5 in the next few weeks and are excited to try PSVR on the console, you’ll want to make sure you buy the PS4 versions of PSVR-supported games if you want to try them on the headset. If you buy the PS5 versions you won’t find the PSVR support listed. "
What part of that did you not understand?
You do know there isn’t a PS5 VR, right?

You don’t have to buy 2 versions of the same. Just buy the ps4 version that is compatible. You are trying to make it sound like a bigger deal than it actually is.

Allandor

Well I expected Sony wouldn't release VR exclusives for PS5 until psvr2 is on the market in 2 years or so, but I really hoped they would allow patches to run in more than BC boost mode.
But I guess they could at least allow patches that could use the boost mode performance for more resolution etc.

the_master

This is pretty bad. Sony is a major VR player. They just abandoned it. Not making any game in the next 2 years AT LEAST, means they have no plans to release any game any year. They just cancelled VR.

I would really like to see some more AAA VR titles

oagboghi2

If Sony wants to take it's time making PS5 VR games for PSVR 2, then go ahead. Makes sense in a way, although they should have at least told gamers instead of spilling the beans 2 weeks from launch and after all the prer-orders have loaded up.

The weirder omission is that in order to play PSVR on PS5 you need the free dongle (ok), and you need to play the PS4 version. If a studio has a PS5 version to sell independently from the PS4 version (no Smart Delivery system to do it for you), VR gamers have to know to get the PS4 version, and ignore the upgraded PS5 version.

Good luck having gamers figure that out.
If you h a VR headset, you can figure out how to read a disclaimer

Fbh

Sucks. But hopefully it doesn't mean they are completely giving up on VR.

Would be a shame to see them give up now that it's finally starting to get good. The Quest 2 is a finally getting to the level of price and ease of use that could make VR more appealing. If they can release something similar for $100 less (so $199) in 2 years it could be pretty tempting.

On TGS Capcom said they are trying to port the game to current gen, but no promises

If they aren't sure that they'll be able to port the game to last gen in Non VR it means they'd probably struggle twice as much getting it to run at a high enough framerate for VR

Calverz

RE8 is 2021 release, and there's no PS4 port so you have to presume no PSVR.
Wow i bet capcom will be pissed. VR pc only then.
Tbh i have a feeling this will be sony quietly shelving VR or are close to doing this. 5% attach rate is pretty poor tbh.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
With all the best will in the world to UploadVr... I’d like to hear something actually from Sony about this...

You‘ve all decided this is fact before hearing anything from the horse’s mouth.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
IJ2difG.png

Might as well wait until they actually announce their PS5-PSVR1 plans. Until then, the only thing they can talk about is backwards compatibility.

ABnormal

Wow i bet capcom will be pissed. VR pc only then.
Tbh i have a feeling this will be sony quietly shelving VR or are close to doing this. 5% attach rate is pretty poor tbh.

That 5% was (or is) the largest vr market share, and they celebrated that fact some time ago. So, they are clearly not seeing it as a bad start.
Incidentally, that was more or less the % I thought would have been reached (just imagining how many buyers uot of the total number would be at the same time hardcore gamers, interested on vr, with enough money, and willing to buy it even with all the initial barriers like bulky headset, cables, motion sickness, etc.

Tschumi

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time believing anyone is exclusively a vr player.

This is a bit of a weird one though. Bummer.

It seems like there just so preoccupied with emphasising games that work well with the SSD, etc, that they just can't even with other big selling points like BC she vr.

Is this going to make me go Xbox? Nope~

Romulus

I'm one of the more enthusiasts about the vr experience, and it brought back an excitement and a marvel in games that I felt only as a kid and on some rare and special times with selected gaming masterpieces.
And still, I do not use it often. Why? In reality, I have a burning desire to do so, but there are still some barriers that prevent me to do so:

1)Motion sickness: I would spend hours into No Man's Sky VR alone, if only I would be able to not suffer from MS. And it's a game that only triggers it relatively lightly.
2)Bulky headset and cables: still far too big and after some time can be uncomfortable (especially in summer).
3)Lack of dedicated controllers with both analogic sticks and hand tracking to allow picking, pushing, pulling, rotating, etc. in order to magnify interaction with the virtual environment at an exponential level compared to now.
4)Lack of the big games that I want (although there are few great experiences that alone are worth the experience).

And kinect's gesture control has nothing to do with vr. VR is a means of immersion and interaction, but controls can still be the very same of usual. Or, if you want, you can ADD more layers of controls that take in account the depth in space and all the above mentioned movements. But while on kinect you simply mimic a movement to trigger a fixed response (or motion track a body movement in space), in VR you do directly the action on the virtual environment; there's no mimicking, unless the developer wants it for some reason.

So, you can be the greatest enthusiast of vr, but every enthusiast is eagerly awaiting the fall of all the barriers to a simple and accessible VR.
And I have great hope on PSVR2 on that regard (to be a big leap in most or all of those points). For that reason I'm quite pissed by the statement of Ryan, that puts PSVR2 at least one year past the date I was hoping to buy it.

Barriers like this are subjective though, for instance I don't consider myself a major VR enthusiast like you but I really like it alot. Having said that I play almost daily.

ABnormal

Barriers like this are subjective though, for instance I don't consider myself a major VR enthusiast like you but I really like it alot. Having said that I play almost daily.
Well, it's true that the primary barrier for me is the motion sickness. I'm quite sure that if I would get rid of it, I would play often, regardless of the other "barriers". It's already stunning even at this infant state.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Never get widespread until:
  • Reduced price point (and Sonys entry price is great)
  • Need high quantity of great games.
  • Reduce size of headsets, wires, etc
  • Reduce potential motion sickness to those affected.

Nah. Quest 2 already does that and sales are through the roof. VR will be mainstream within 2 years.

Reallink

Honestly, no one should be buying PSVR at this point even if PS5 games did support it. It was a comparatively poor product when it launched nearly half a decade ago, it's straight up terrible by today's standards. I can see why they wouldn't want to taint the PS5 brand by encouraging people to buy a crappy product. It's an unpopular decision, but the right one. The only problem is that PSVR2 is apparently at least 2 years away. I presume they're holding out for a bulletproof wireless solution that's cheap enough to embed in $299-$399 headset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
for instance I don't consider myself a major VR enthusiast like you

You're kidding, right? You're like the Voost Kain of VR on here. Or should that be VRoost Kain? :unsure:

Always wading into threads telling people exactly how wrong they are about VR and "just you wait!" etc.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Honestly, no one should be buying PSVR at this point even if PS5 games did support it. It was a comparatively poor product when it launched nearly half a decade ago, it's straight up terrible by today's standards. I can see why they wouldn't want to taint the PS5 brand by encouraging people to buy a crappy product. It's an unpopular decision, but the right one. The only problem is that PSVR2 is apparently at least 2 years away. I presume they're holding out for a bulletproof wireless solution that's cheap enough to embed in $299-$399 headset.
As much as it pains me I think you are right.
The technology is there but I doubt the price point is.

I can wait for a decent PSVR2 product. I just hope that there absolutely is one.
In the mean time, why can’t publishers revisit past products and add VR?
Alien Isolation
Bioshock games
Killzone
....to name but a tiny few.

Last edited:

Pantz

Isn't this title misleading? You can play ps4 vr games on it, can't you?

The title is fine, you can't play PS5 games on the PSVR. That means they won't be making any VR games specifically taking full advantage of the PS5 until the PSVR2 comes out. It's odd because VR headsets should just be like any other display. A PS5 VR game wouldn't display any better on the PSVR but they could still take advantage of the hardware to make the games bigger and better. As far as I know the original Oculus Rift can still play the latest PCVR games so that's why this is kind of annoying to me.

It's just weird that there's going to be a 2 year? gap where if developers want to make stuff for the PSVR, they have to design their games for the retired console and not the current console.

Enjay

Banned
im just saying the technology is not dead. vr is alive and well, aand has a big future. wnting it to die is this weird juvenile mind set that people have bc.... bc.... i dont know bc theyre fucking retarded. but the tech is no where near dead. PS may sit this one out but that doesnt mean its dead.
From the vr lives side ladies and gentlemen

Reallink

The title is fine, you can't play PS5 games on the PSVR. That means they won't be making any VR games specifically taking full advantage of the PS5 until the PSVR2 comes out. It's odd because VR headsets should just be like any other display. A PS5 VR game wouldn't display any better on the PSVR but they could still take advantage of the hardware to make the games bigger and better. As far as I know the original Oculus Rift can still play the latest PCVR games so that's why this is kind of annoying to me.

It's just weird that there's going to be a 2 year? gap where if developers want to make stuff for the PSVR, they have to design their games for the retired console and not the current console.

Move's deficiencies coupled with PSVR's lack of awareness of the players floor, height, or playspace makes porting many experiences difficult, impossible, or compromised. That's what differentiates it from simply being a display, it's not just graphical horsepower that's lacking. PSVR was primarily designed as a seated controller experience, Move was simply a "free" add-on (for both Sony and many consumers) by virtue of already existing. It doesn't work well (or at all) for what developers are doing today, and as I mentioned above, Sony likely doesn't want to damage the brand by allowing developers to shoehorn inferior experiences for extra sales, nor do they want new PS5 owners buying outdated hardware that looks like a joke next to a $299 Quest 2.

Last edited:

How would a PS5 game that supports PSVR even work? PS5 games only work with Dual Sense and don't you need DS4 for PSVR?

Also VR devs could still use all of PS5's power by making PS4 VR games that run in native mode on PS5.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a confusing decision. It might simplify their life in bringing the console up but generates confusion taking the hardcore user base a bit for granted.

Why do we need the old camera? Why cannot the new one be used for it? It seems like a very very similar stereoscopic design a d likely will be needed for PSVR2 (or maybe not, but oh well what are their plans there?!?)... why native PS5 titles cannot use the old PSVR?

I actually like PSVR titles and was looking forward to the graphics taken a notch or two above in terms of fidelity (there is a lot that can be improved in Skyrim VR or NMS before needing a higher resolution VR headset).

Do I need two versions of NMS? Can I have two versions of NMS installed? How much benefit do I get for NMS installed on PS5 vs the native NMS PS5 version? Shall I just keep playing it on PS4 Pro?

Pantz

How would a PS5 game that supports PSVR even work? PS5 games only work with Dual Sense and don't you need DS4 for PSVR?

Also VR devs could still use all of PS5's power by making PS4 VR games that run in native mode on PS5.

Don't know, it would have been up to them to make it compatible. It doesn't seem impossible but maybe it was too much work or not worth the cost.

Romulus

You're kidding, right? You're like the Voost Kain of VR on here. Or should that be VRoost Kain? :unsure:

Always wading into threads telling people exactly how wrong they are about VR and "just you wait!" etc.

You purposely cut the rest of my post off where I explained myself. I was comparing myself to a self proclaimed VR enthusiast and outrighted said that I "really like VR alot." And I do. I typed that but you cut it off to make your little response work.

But I actually play alot of normal games in phases and don't even think VR is going mainstream like many. I just think its here to stay, forever. Also, I just got pcvr as many know, hardly a major enthusiast. The only thing you've got right is "he goes into VR threads." True. Gaming forum + I like VR.
No one else quoted me on this for a reason, the same reason your post got zero likes.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
This is a confusing decision. It might simplify their life in bringing the console up but generates confusion taking the hardcore user base a bit for granted.

Why do we need the old camera? Why cannot the new one be used for it? It seems like a very very similar stereoscopic design a d likely will be needed for PSVR2 (or maybe not, but oh well what are their plans there?!?)... why native PS5 titles cannot use the old PSVR?

I actually like PSVR titles and was looking forward to the graphics taken a notch or two above in terms of fidelity (there is a lot that can be improved in Skyrim VR or NMS before needing a higher resolution VR headset).

Do I need two versions of NMS? Can I have two versions of NMS installed? How much benefit do I get for NMS installed on PS5 vs the native NMS PS5 version? Shall I just keep playing it on PS4 Pro?

This does indeed feel like a missed opportunity. Why not just integrate tracking into the new PS5 camera.Since these are of a higher resolution, it may have indeed improved tracking. Why not mandate that devs use the highest resolution and patch their previous games the PSVR headset can support, as it’s well known that many games aren’t supporting highest resolution nor supporting supersampling.
We could have at least had a better experience with the current crop of PSVR titles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This does indeed feel like a missed opportunity. Why not just integrate tracking into the new PS5 camera.Since these are of a higher resolution, it may have indeed improved tracking. Why not mandate that devs use the highest resolution and patch their previous games the PSVR headset can support, as it’s well known that many games aren’t supporting highest resolution nor supporting supersampling.
We could have at least had a better experience with the current crop of PSVR titles.

Yes, it is really head scratching bad decision... not the worst one they could have made, but between the lack of HDR pass through in the v1 edition and this... man... 😡 ...

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yes, it is really head scratching bad decision... not the worst one they could have made, but between the lack of HDR pass through in the v1 edition and this... man... 😡 ...
Oh man!! I was miffed about that HDR pass through. Did Sony not talk to Sony? I mean come on!
I ended up buying a cheap 2 in 1 out switcher that solves this problem.

I’m happy to hold out for a wireless PSVR2. I just hope there is one, and PSVR1 gets plenty of content and patches to past games for better experiences.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I ended up buying a cheap 2 in 1 out switcher that solves this problem.

Yeah did that before (hopefully not) damaging an AVR input (switching cables near the PS4 Pro end though). Maddening decision and given how shortly after they fixed it... it was a “bah, early adopters will take the hit” kind of decision.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
VRs biggest strength is the fact that it greatly lowers the skill floor for a much bigger potential audience of gamers.

You can't reasonably expect a non gamer to be given a controller and have fun with Rainbow Six Siege.

You CAN reasonably expect a non gamer to be given VR and have fun with Firewall: Zero Hour.

VR just needs to be a little cheaper, a little better, and have a killer mainstream app.

Romulus

VRs biggest strength is the fact that it greatly lowers the skill floor for a much bigger potential audience of gamers.

You can't reasonably expect a non gamer to be given a controller and have fun with Rainbow Six Siege.

You CAN reasonably expect a non gamer to be given VR and have fun with Firewall: Zero Hour.

VR just needs to be a little cheaper, a little better, and have a killer mainstream app.

It's the looking and turning at the same time. It's more natural in VR because you look with your head, eliminating half of the unnatural input on the dual analog configuration for example. I've seen several non gamers be able to instantly pick up and play more "hardcore" games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Heads up in case you have these two PSVR games. They don't work on PS5.

The library will show which of your PS4 games are compatible with your PS5; if a game isn’t compatible, you’ll see a ‘stop’ symbol (). Of 34 digital PSVR games in my library, only two weren’t compatible (Robinson: The Journey [2016] and Golem [2019]).

Shmunter

Heads up in case you have these two PSVR games. They don't work on PS5.

The library will show which of your PS4 games are compatible with your PS5; if a game isn’t compatible, you’ll see a ‘stop’ symbol (). Of 34 digital PSVR games in my library, only two weren’t compatible (Robinson: The Journey [2016] and Golem [2019]).
Damn, Robinson in my backlog

yurinka

This is pretty bad. Sony is a major VR player. They just abandoned it. Not making any game in the next 2 years AT LEAST, means they have no plans to release any game any year. They just cancelled VR.

I would really like to see some more AAA VR titles
They didn't abandon VR. Devs will continue making PS4 PSVR games, and they will be playable on PS5 too. Sony also said they will continue supporting the PS4 for at least 2 or 3 years more. In fact all previous PS4 PSVR games run in PS5 with a couple of them as exception.

Sony basically confirmed that they are working on PSVR2 for PS5 but won't be released in the next couple of years, and that PS5 native games will use PSVR2 instead of PSVR1. So no PS5 native VR games for the next couple of years.

Until then it's fair to assume Sony will focus on boosting the PS5 launch window while also helping the PS4 with its last games and maybe some price cut. In 2-3 years from now, once PS5 achieved a great userbase and PS4 sales will be almost zero, it will be time to discontinue PS4 and PSVR and to release PSVR2 and PS5 VR games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom