• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 hardware based Ray-Tracing vs Xbox Series X hardware accelerated Ray Tracing: Is there a difference in the tech or just the wording?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

One sound like the ray-tracing is being done by ray-tracing hardware & the other sound like there is changes in the GPU to help with ray-tracing.

ps5-ssd-ray-tracing-3d-audio-ultra-hd-blu-ray.original.jpg

pSlLsQG.png

vpance

The implementation between the 2 is probably different. Both are in HW obviously.

Remember that one writer of an article a few months back said like Scarlett RT was focused on "faking" stuff and PS5's method was "intensive" or something like that.

Edit: found his comment

Gizmodo writer said:
Unfortunately, it's too vague. For example, I read the tipster's comment as suggesting the Sony device would do lots of real-time ray tracing from occlusion to shadows to full bounce reflections and the Microsoft device would rely on tricks to emulate ray tracing. But another colleague read the exact same comment and interpreted it as how ray tracing might appear in titles re-released for the new system. Game devs I passed it along too all had opinions that ranged the gamut from mine to my colleagues'. So until we get a little more detail I'm afraid it's all hearsay.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Apb Dimmmm he has a view on this lol

And damn you guys are good with the console war threads. Like based on history we know these companies love ambiguity and semantics and shit ends up the same. Why even have this thread if we don't have the facts. Obviously depending on fanboy paradigms your going to get different answers. Not to mention you've had insiders say Ps5 RT solution is better. I didn't say it, they did.

SNYMA

Neo Member
They're the same just different wording.
No Hardware based implies that it's being done in hardware while hardware accelerated sounds like there is hardware to help with ray-tracing.
Mark Cerny said that RT is accelerated in the PS5 in the second Wired article and it is the same wording that nvidia uses when describing the RT Cores.
“There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware,” he says, “which I believe is the statement that people were looking for.”

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They're the same just different wording.

Mark Cerny said that RT is accelerated in the PS5 in the second Wired article and it is the same wording that nvidia uses when describing the RT Cores.

So both have been said.

We are done here, for now. Until a new synonym / descriptive word enters the ring.

thelastword

Banned
They both will have hardware level raytracing...…...I think PS5's RT will be a bit stronger since their devs have been hitting the lab hard to push RT solutions in their games for next gen...….We've already seen PD heavily invested in RT as it will be an important feature in GT and in other SWWS games, let's not forget, RT for audio as well.....So it leaves no doubt in my mind at all, that PS5 will have a formidable RT solution....GTS has already been demoed with some level of RT by PD.....It will be a feature they will push, next to their load times and 3D audio....They have the devs to show it off, so their investment in it is substantial...

We probably won’t know the differences (if any) until the chip xrays arrive next year lol.

But I would guess they both use the same upcoming AMD tech.

Journey

Banned
They both will have hardware level raytracing...…...I think PS5's RT will be a bit stronger since their devs have been hitting the lab hard to push RT solutions in their games for next gen...….We've already seen PD heavily invested in RT as it will be an important feature in GT and in other SWWS games, let's not forget, RT for audio as well.....So it leaves no doubt in my mind at all, that PS5 will have a formidable RT solution....GTS has already been demoed with some level of RT by PD.....It will be a feature they will push, next to their load times and 3D audio....They have the devs to show it off, so their investment in it is substantial...

We all know why you think the PS5's RT will be stronger :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DJ12

We all know Sony had ray tracing hardware before AMD had ray tracing in their GPUs because, well AMD still don't have it (other than in the new Xbox allegedly - I say this not because I don't think Xbox has RT but it's not confirmed it's AMDs 'next gen' RDNA RT)

Sony demoed their RT tech in December 2018 with the 8k GT:S demo. It looked strong then and I imagine it's better now.

Leakers are saying ps5 RT is better and Devs are already making use of it as seen by godfall.

It will certainly be interesting to see who's doing what with the tech.

So while the premise of the topic does seem odd based on wording from different companies, I do think the evidence suggests they could both be vastly different solutions for the same problem.

AMDs solution is not full ray tracing (the slide says select lighting effects), is Sony's solution. Time will tell I guess.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

a1QYqMx.png

thelastword

Banned
We all know why you think the PS5's RT will be stronger :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I guess you feel the opposite.....At least I gave reasons why I think RT was stronger there......Seeing as, it's the only upcoming console that has shown or demoed games with RT......I'm thinking you're thinking the opposite though, with all that evidence showing Series X is 12TF vs a 9TF PS4....Hardware RT vs whatever Sony is doing right?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sony ran a demo of GT on multiple stuck together consoles, not one console, not a PS5. It was confirmed not real. The other game you have, is likely multi platform game, without a shadow of a doubt.

Versus an actual answer on an actual exclusive.

And even in Xbox case we STILL don’t know anything much worth a damn... so for you to say PlayStation is better is a joke. You know diddly dick, cow girl. Same as everybody else.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Fuck this shit!!!

They are literally the same thing. Stop this nonsense already, god lord dont people have brains anymore

3d accelerator vs. Graphics hardware that draws 3d == gpu. Same thing, two different wordings

Re the raytracing you are correct. 2 ways to say the same thing.

Re 3d accelerators not quite. The 1st 3d accelerators plugged into your 2d card.

Stuff like the voodoo 2 and Riva TNT had both 2d and 3d graphics chips on the PCB and it wasn't until the 1st Nvidia geforce where they used the term GPU as it was a single chip that handled both 2d and 3d.

Journey

Banned
Same reason you think the opposite, I reckon.
tenor.gif

You mean he thinks PS5 will be 12TF vs XSX 9TF?

giphy.gif

I mean logically thinking, the more powerful console will handle raytracing better. And of course we are basing this on leaks and rumors saying XSX is more powerful than PS5, but nonetheless that's not basing it on pure faith on Sony and their willingness to satisfy their devs which is what he's doing

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Man, really, this thread is fkn cringe.

Had anyone thought, even for a second, on how hardware helps software?

Do people even know the difference?
No? Then let me explain:

Software: uses the resorces from hardware

Hardware: does the hard work.

For example, why do hardware like Graphics Processor Units exist? Because for fast 3d rendering, we need specific hardware SPECIALIZED in a specific task: lighting fast parallel math operations that a CPU can never achieve.

For ray tracing, we need another specific task, so if you see Ray Tracing and hardware in the same sentence, IS THE SAME THING FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Last edited:
We all know Sony had ray tracing hardware before AMD had ray tracing in their GPUs because, well AMD still don't have it (other than in the new Xbox allegedly - I say this not because I don't think Xbox has RT but it's not confirmed it's AMDs 'next gen' RDNA RT)

Sony demoed their RT tech in December 2018 with the 8k GT:S demo. It looked strong then and I imagine it's better now.

Leakers are saying ps5 RT is better and Devs are already making use of it as seen by godfall.

It will certainly be interesting to see who's doing what with the tech.

So while the premise of the topic does seem odd based on wording from different companies, I do think the evidence suggests they could both be vastly different solutions for the same problem.

AMDs solution is not full ray tracing (the slide says select lighting effects), is Sony's solution. Time will tell I guess.
Microsoft has a Direct X API that is being used right now across multiple games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom