• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has coil whine

base

Banned
Maybe its just an issue with the cooling or the console isn't stable and gets some vibrations.

It doesn't sound exactly like coil whine. Check this:

base

Banned
I had an issue at my house with power socket splitter. Connected the induction in the kitchen and microwave. The induction gives strange noises like it's going to blow anytime soon. The splitter is max 3500W. Maybe that's the explanation.

Mine has a very minor humm to it that i have been told is coil whine but its so minor and gets downed out by the slightest ambient noise. I could see how PC gamers could find it annoying however because they are usually pretty close to thier towers while playing.

Last edited:

NollaN

Neo Member
Can we do some tests instead of talking smack?

Not all games/stages will probable trigger coilwhine equally.
Best would be to find a place in Astro where people find that coilwhine is at its worse, and then post their finding.
Then everyone can test with the same game/stage/settings.

Another good thing would be if everyone had their console in the same orientation on an open surface (having it semi enclosed could act as an amplifier for the sound)

There is also a high chance SONY has two or more factory's assembling the powersuplys for the PS5, and so is using different capacitors.
But without opening the PSU and checking for your self, there wont be any indications of this?

Also make sure to use the same PS5 and game settings when testing.
For most graphicards the problem comes when reaching higher FPS.
It might be the same for the PS5, so games that can push 120fps might prove the best for this.

Might also be good to mention if its the disc or digital edition.

Example:
Console: PS5 Digital
Orientation: Vertical
Settings: 4k, HDR, 60FPS
Game: Astro
Stage: Cooling Springs Bot Beach (starting spot)

This way we can at least start to standardize some aspects of the test methodology, and maby even find an solution to the problem for people that are having them.

kingwingin

What started out as slight coil whine has gotten quite loud and now I'm getting visual artifacting in games. Was nice knowing you ps5

WAmHLMU.jpg

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
What started out as slight coil whine has gotten quite loud and now I'm getting visual artifacting in games. Was nice knowing you ps5

WAmHLMU.jpg
well fuck, mine has gotten slightly louder yesterday too and what game did I wanna try today?

Spider-Man Remastered....

EDIT: Tested some other games like Borderlands 3 and Valhalla and it was much quieter than when playing Miles Morales.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
It seems the "coil whine" sound may be the fan after all.
This guy has the same sound my PS5 is making:
PS5 EU disc version high pitched noise - Coil Whine - YouTube

There was a sticker that was sticking out but it appears that wasn't the problem (he cut the sticker).
He disabled his fan and the sound was gone:
PS5 high pitched noise(possible Coil Whine) noise cause UPDATE (Check description) - YouTube

This has nothing to do with coil whine, people keep posting this as if to say this is the problem.

martino

problem is more disk noise and the console feeling the need to check if there is a disk for at least one minute too often

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Can't hear my system at all aside from very minimal disc spinning, I think it happened like tops once an hour? I heard it a couple times last night playing CoD but it stops spinning before it has a chance to get on your nerves

While it obviously can't be silent unless it breaks the laws of physics my PS5 is practically silent in that I can't hear a thing over the ambient noise even with the sound muted and a game going.

I can hear my XSX with everything muted but not with any kind of volume (the fan slightly and a clicking noise which I suspect is coil whine as it's at the very bottom where I imagine the PSU is?).

Guess I've been lucky firstly getting them and then that both aren't making any crazy sounds.

well fuck, mine has gotten slightly louder yesterday too and what game did I wanna try today?

Spider-Man Remastered....

EDIT: Tested some other games like Borderlands 3 and Valhalla and it was much quieter than when playing Miles Morales.
Yes, it really depends on the game.

I have barely audible coil whine in Astro or Ghost of Tsushima, but I do have it more noticeable in other games. It's still a lot quieter than what I have (or had, as I've given it away now) on my Pro. It's faint enough to be inaudible at a bit of a distance to the console, so I'm happy about it.

I still maintain my stance on this not getting fixed anytime soon, as this has been a problem for years. The PS5 should've been the console to fix this, especially after all the focus on how quiet the system is going to be.

I dont know if it was there before the latest update but when i turn console on now i think its either the fan or disk drive starts up for like 15 secs then goes quiet like when your installing a game

DonJorginho

Banned
Yes, it really depends on the game.

I have barely audible coil whine in Astro or Ghost of Tsushima, but I do have it more noticeable in other games. It's still a lot quieter than what I have (or had, as I've given it away now) on my Pro. It's faint enough to be inaudible at a bit of a distance to the console, so I'm happy about it.

I still maintain my stance on this not getting fixed anytime soon, as this has been a problem for years. The PS5 should've been the console to fix this, especially after all the focus on how quiet the system is going to be.
Mine is the exact same, when playing MM on performance mode you hear the coil whine changing from menus to when the suit you wanna pick pops in and when you exit to the dashboard but this is only audible with my TV muted or on very low volume, my PS5 is very close to me so may rearrange my set up and get back to you on whether that helps but it is a minor inconvenience.

I will likely ask ShopTo to replace mine near the end of my warranty with them when stock is better and hopefully a revised model comes out with minor tweaks to the PSU.

However I do agree in not seeing this fixed anytime soon, seems like Sony knew this was a thing and just accepted it as it was not a major issue outside of noise levels.

I can confirm the anoying sound i'm hearing is coming from my fan.
Removed the side covers and turned on my PS5. Listened real close and the sound was coming from my fan.
Turned off my PS5, put a screwdriver between my fan, so it wouldn't spin, and turned my PS5 on. Behold, a silent PS5...
Turned the console quickly back off so it wouldn't overheat :)

Copied this image from a French article. Two types of PS5 fans, fan A is more silent then fan B. Yeah... i've got fan B...
Labo – PlayStation 5 et bruit : toutes les consoles ne sont pas dotées du même ventilateur - Les Numériques (lesnumeriques.com)

b421da8a-labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur__w800_wtmk.webp

xacto

Removed the side covers and turned on my PS5. Listened real close and the sound was coming from my fan.
Turned off my PS5, put a screwdriver between my fan, so it wouldn't spin, and turned my PS5 on. Behold, a silent PS5...

Copied this image from a French article. Two types of PS5 fans, fan A is more silent then fan B. Yeah... i've got fan B...
Labo – PlayStation 5 et bruit : toutes les consoles ne sont pas dotées du même ventilateur - Les Numériques (lesnumeriques.com)

b421da8a-labo-playstation-5-et-bruit-toutes-les-consoles-ne-sont-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur__w800_wtmk.webp

Reading the article, there is yet a third type of fan, the one presented in Sony's official teardown of the console...

pWMCQXz.png

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

😄 the fan sounds like a lotto

At least it's not like the ps4 where you got a chance to get one that sounds like a hair dryer or one that sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I'd take any PS5 fan if it just results in varying degrees of quietness. The true test of how quiet this new generation of consoles are would be a new warriors game from omega force. Their games made any ps4 or switch (in docked mode) way louder than most games.

Bryank75

Banned
You have me so paranoid, I thought there was a sound coming from my PS5 but when I checked it was actually my laptop that I had right in front of me.....

My PS5 is completely silent so far.

Night.Ninja

Banned
You have me so paranoid, I thought there was a sound coming from my PS5 but when I checked it was actually my laptop that I had right in front of me.....

My PS5 is completely silent so far.
Mine has zero sounds, but I don't play discs to compare.

Let's be honest you two wouldn't even tell us if you had issues with your PS5 😄

dgkhi6yw0aaq3f1.jpg

Last edited:

Kupfer

I can hear the noise in that video, and I've heard coil whine before from my PC, but my PS5 doesn't do anything like that.
Same for me. My Ps5 is like 2.50m away from my ears while playing and all I can hear the disc drive validating the disc from time to time.
But I am the only one with a Ps5 in my circle of acquaintances, so I can't compare.

Seems like I'm lucky. I also have a launchday PS4 and a PS4 pro and while friends complained about their "jetengines" I became aware of this problem and thought my PS4s are loud, too. Then a friend gave me his Ps4 for repairs and for the first time, I heard a real "jetengine" fan on a live Ps4 and recognized my consoles are just fine.

So compared to a PS4 pro with normal fan noises, the Ps5 is dead silent.

EDIT:
My ps5 stands on its bracket horizontally on carpet, maybe this helps while error shooting.

Last edited:

martino

yeah this kind of crap is sad when it happens (it seems not as worst as when it's screen in tv though)

Last edited:

OCD Guy

It seems the "coil whine" sound may be the fan after all.
This guy has the same sound my PS5 is making:
PS5 EU disc version high pitched noise - Coil Whine - YouTube

There was a sticker that was sticking out but it appears that wasn't the problem (he cut the sticker).
He disabled his fan and the sound was gone:
PS5 high pitched noise(possible Coil Whine) noise cause UPDATE (Check description) - YouTube

The buzzing isn’t the fan.

Listen at 0.16-0.18 seconds and you can hear the coil whine sound from the PSU.

Birdo

Banned
Almost every electronic device I have purchased in the last ten years has had some degree of Coil Whine. Be it a little or a LOT.

My monitor's Power supply, my Router, my PS4 Slim, even a USB charge hub. It's insane. I never had this probem in the 90's or early 00's.

Last edited:

Dunkelgrau

So, I decided to make one of those funky videos, too. Disclaimer: It is by far quieter as what you can here in that clip. Is this coil whine or one of those stickers? And what should I do?

(I am referring to that "chattering", you probably have to pump up the volume, haha.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom