• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has coil whine

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I checked and my console is between 53 and 65 dB with my phone right beside it. This is both in game and out of game.

Interestingly enough a report showed the quieter fan being 35dB and the louder one 45dB.

This leads me to think I have the vibrating issue with the housing. Going to put in some o rings to try dampen it and will report back.

Anyone else get a dB reading out of interest.
You need to take into account what is your background and then subtract it from it, eg. record noise with console off and then on.

M1chl

Was just about to post that video. I'd absolutely tear my ps5 down to fix this issue
Please be carefull, because PSU disassembly is not really safe, if you are not aware about where you touching the board. But maybe you have experience.

I am pretty surprised what part does this, because I would totally expect it to be those coils, not the mention the part is not really cheap, it's 2 bucks in large quatities which is not what you consider cheap in this world.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting, but not a solution yet:

It's as I've told earlier. It's not necessarily an issue but just how electronics works.
And for this capacitor, the glue goops around it would not help since it's noisy inside.
Maybe lower quality components use the goop to stabilize the casings ?

Last edited:
It's as I've told earlier. It's not necessarily an issue but just how electronics works.
And for this capacitor, the glue goops around it would not help since it's noisy inside.
Maybe lower quality components use the goop to stabilize the casings ?
People from iFixit who have taken everything apart have said that both consoles have very high quality PSUs with high quality parts. So no, the goop is only there to further dampen any possible issues that may arise.

This is a QA problem.

M1chl

I cringed a lot when he connected the PSU to mainboard which suppose to draw 200W at low voltage (not sure if it's 12V or less, but still) with few mm coper wire, I am pretty surprised that it did not caught fire.

Forsete

I was fucking around with my old Intel NUC the other day and I noticed it had coil whine when scrubbing a Plex video. Its been 7 years and I just noticed it. It has been living by the TV for all these years.
Does the PS5 have really audible whine?

(I was sitting right next to the NUC when I noticed it).

Last edited:
I was fucking around with my old Intel NUC the other day and I noticed it had coil whine when scrubbing a Plex video. Its been 7 years and I just noticed it. It has been living by the TV for all these years.
Does the PS5 have really audible whine?
People wouldn't complain if it were inaudible. Some have it really loud, some have it barely audible. It also depends on the games and your own hearing and how numb your are towards the sound.

It's an extremely subjective thing.

MattVT

My PS5 has what I would describe as pretty bad coil whine. I’m not well versed in technology, so I have a few questions:

1. The coil whine starts out as random, changing sounds, but if I have a long play session, it seems to actually evolve into a rhythmic pattern. Is that normal and how is that even possible?

2. The coil whine is loudest when playing PS5 games, quieter when playing PS4 games, and non-existent when viewing media like Netflix. Why is this?

My PS3 was loud as hell. My PS4 was fairly quiet, and now I’m back to a loud PS5. Frustrating.

My PS5 has what I would describe as pretty bad coil whine. I’m not well versed in technology, so I have a few questions:

1. The coil whine starts out as random, changing sounds, but if I have a long play session, it seems to actually evolve into a rhythmic pattern. Is that normal and how is that even possible?

2. The coil whine is loudest when playing PS5 games, quieter when playing PS4 games, and non-existent when viewing media like Netflix. Why is this?

My PS3 was loud as hell. My PS4 was fairly quiet, and now I’m back to a loud PS5. Frustrating.
It has to deal with the power draw of the SOC. Playing PS4 games puts minimal strain on the system so it draws less current so it makes less noise. Playing PS5 games like the PS5 version of Destiny 2 creates a much louder sound. I can hear the buzz increase and decrease in intensity depending on being in the menu or actually playing. I wish Sony had designed the PSU better.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

My PS5 ive had since December that i play daily, and for hours at a time is dead silent all the time, even after 2-3 hrs of Demons Souls. If i get real close to the back of it after that time i can hear a faint fan noise (blowing air), but no buzzing or rhythmic pattern noises at all.

Your noises are definitely not normal, but the jury is still out as to whether it causes any actual damage or shortened system life. The question is why some people have this issue and some dont. With 3 (i believe) fan model variations, some systems made in China, some made in Japan, there is certainly room for a variation in assembly processes even if its tiny to where some assembled one way have coil whine and some dont.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Easy fix:

Ok, maybe not so easy, but it's at least a solution.
insightful video
What makes confused me however is that his PS5 had coil whine immediately when turned on, we didn’t see any games.

Mine doesn’t make any noises other than some air sounds from the ventilator outside of games. The coil whine only comes up noticeable during 60fps gameplay.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I think making one thread that’s thorough and details things like fan type, manufacture date, country purchased and so on, will help everyone out going forward. There’s no way to see anything internally besides the fan without voiding warranty and there isn’t enough information on the packaging that can help determine anything without opening the box and checking the system. This has happened before with certain factories using lesser components.

nbkicker

insightful video
What makes confused me however is that his PS5 had coil whine immediately when turned on, we didn’t see any games.

Mine doesn’t make any noises other than some air sounds from the ventilator outside of games. The coil whine only comes up noticeable during 60fps gameplay.
My first ps5 i had on release day, made coil whine from the moment it was switched on till it was fully switched off, in rest mode or home screen it was just a constant note u could hear across the room if it was quiet, then start any game be it ps4 or ps5 then it kicked right up that i could hear it across the room with tv on normal volume

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom