• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has different fan lottery just like the PS4

//DEVIL//

I posted this in the other forum as well as posting it here . Of course it’s still too early to tell how bad the impact is but I thought it’s worth mentioning.

So I was watching the PS5 tear down here

At 3:10, he shows the fan from the top and it seems it’s a delta fan ( which was the fan that used to make the PS4 go crazy loud while others ( Nidec) not as bad .

true enough I opened my PS5 cover and it’s a Nidec fan. Which might explain why my system is quiet while some people reporting noisy PS5 ( not talking about coil )
If that’s the case then god help us all.

to tell the difference , this is from the PS4 but applies here

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Just pointing out there are different fans just exactly same as ps5 . Don’t know if it’s good thing or bad but from a previous experience I would rather always go with delta fan just for the peace of mind

THEAP99

Banned
just used it all day today. no jet engine like the ps4 pro, the fan is actually like totally silent. though i can hear a slight hum from my ps5 all digital if i take off my headphones or completely mute the room. It's probably normal though it's all good im glad it's as quiet as it is

dcx4610

Not sure if it's coil whine or a noisey fan but mine is quiet when on the menus but the fan has a ticking noise when it's full speed in a game. I can't hear it over the game or anything but if you get close to the system, you can definitely hear it. Every video I've looked at has the same sound. I think some people are just more sensitive to fan noise than others. When you are used to Noctua fans and their soothing and consistent sound, it's harsh when you hear a regular fan and I think that's all this is.

Mine sounds like this guys:

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
It doesn't constantly spin though? It isn't xbox 360 tech! (correct me if I wrong sony police)
What in the world are you talking about here? The disc drive and fan are quiet. Even when it checks the disc.

Last edited:
got our first australian hot day tomorrow since getting the ps5 a pretty light 35 degrees
gonna be interesting to see if its loud or not

Soodanim

Variable suppliers sounds like a recipe for disaster. A machine made to be one consistent unit regardless of user and you can have two units with the same model number but a different fan.

I have no insight as to whether one fan manufacturer or another is good or bad, but the variability immediately puts me off.

bender

What time is it?
Variable suppliers sounds like a recipe for disaster. A machine made to be one consistent unit regardless of user and you can have two units with the same model number but a different fan.

I have no insight as to whether one fan manufacturer or another is good or bad, but the variability immediately puts me off.

It's not an uncommon practice, especially for sub components. Take for example, the OG Xbox has four different DVD Drive manufacturers (Thomson, Phillips, Samsung, and Hitachi). You dreaded getting a Thomson drive and felt blessed if you got the Samsung drive.

Soodanim

It's not an uncommon practice, especially for sub components. Take for example, the OG Xbox has four different DVD Drive manufacturers (Thomson, Phillips, Samsung, and Hitachi). You dreaded getting a Thomson drive and felt blessed if you got the Samsung drive.
I didn’t know that. That’s bad. All the more reason to be happy with PC, I guess. I suppose that lottery is not so bad if you can return a unit for another, but I have a feeling that most businesses won’t allow that.

bender

What time is it?
I didn’t know that. That’s bad. All the more reason to be happy with PC, I guess. I suppose that lottery is not so bad if you can return a unit for another, but I have a feeling that most businesses won’t allow that.

As long as you are building your PC, sure. Dell is notorious for this same practice and they aren't alone
'
I'd wait for more wide spread reports to see if this is really an issue. It might be the same manufacturer in the PS4/Pro but it's a different fan design. Sony is just giving a specification to multiple component manufacturers. If it's true that all and only Delta fans have this issue, that's concerning. If it's a subset and less than 3%, that's a fairly common industry standard for failure rate.

Soodanim

As long as you are building your PC, sure. Dell is notorious for this same practice and they aren't alone
'
I'd wait for more wide spread reports to see if this is really an issue. It might be the same manufacturer in the PS4/Pro but it's a different fan design. Sony is just giving a specification to multiple component manufacturers. If it's true that all and only Delta fans have this issue, that's concerning. If it's a subset and less than 3%, that's a fairly common industry standard for failure rate.
Speaking of pre-built, that actually opens up the truth of the matter. We’re a lot more likely to care as enthusiasts on a forum than the masses, so variation probably isn’t an issue for most once the game starts making sounds.

I’ll see how the model revisions turn out.

bender

What time is it?
Speaking of pre-built, that actually opens up the truth of the matter. We’re a lot more likely to care as enthusiasts on a forum than the masses, so variation probably isn’t an issue for most once the game starts making sounds.

I’ll see how the model revisions turn out.

I actually spent the night in these.

Mr-Speakers-Ether-2

DualSense did a decent job driving them.

Top Bottom