• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is in the perfect storm right now (Increased supply , God of War:R , The Last Of Us Show & Hogwarts Legacy )

MikeM

Holy shit the fanboyism.

"The only thing in its way". What does that even mean? The only thing preventing PS5's success are great games on other platforms lol? What do you get if Sony "wins"?

This isn't some sporting event where you have a home team battling it out against other teams for the championship.

What a pathetic display.
It isn’t? /s

In all seriousness, no one is forcing you to post in this thread my man.
Threads like this make me want to sell my ps5…
Go ahead. It’ll be sold in a blink of an eye. Very odd reason to let a theead full of strangers make you sell something I assume you enjoy.
Imagine not having vr because you are broke. Thank god that's not me

even tho it broke me. But I don't care
I don’t have vr. Am I broke?
*looks at 7900xt PC*
*looks at LG C1*
*looks at ps5*
*looks at house*
*looks at investments*

Man. So broke.
Imagine equating not being interested in PSVR2 to being broke. Retarded.
Some people just aren’t very intelligent.
And they've got this type of mindshare...

His reaction when he sees the PS5.

So awesome. Congrats to that kid.

Kerotan

Big Jedi game next gen only soon, big destiny expansion for Sony releasing all platforms soon and then Final Fantasy. Another good year guaranteed with Spiderman 2 for the holidays.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Basically you're here to argue. this is clearly about sells I mentioned The Last Of Us show which has people buying the Last of Us games again & Supply increase

I am here to debate and discuss which is, you know, the whole point of forums? You seem to be here only to sing praises of your favorite plastic box and refuse to elaborate or discuss in detail because you are utterly incapable of doing so. Which clearly shows given your continued lack of proper responses to my inquiries.

Do better.

This poster is always on that time of the month

Must be a joy
I just want to have a proper discussion, but they are wholly incapable to explaining *why* this is a "perfect storm".

That sequel that is worse -according to you-, got better critical and commercial reception than any exclusive on the Xbox...The Last of Us show has made the franchise mainstream, and Hogwarts will help Sony move tons of consoles this month. The premise of this thread is possibly the most consensual one I have stumbled on these last few weeks, and yet, you find the way to argue in absolute bad faith.

To many, according to the various voices on GAF and elsewhere. The only ones who keep claiming it is objectively great are fanboys and warriors. The reality is, the sequel was an incredibly mixed bag. Similar thing is happening with GoW: Ragnarok. The fact that you have to bring Xbox into this is some sad attempt at a console warrior gacha and clearly shows where your mindset is at.

TLOU the Show didn't make the game "mainstream". It already was. Hogwarts will not sell anyone on a next gen console, it is literally available on PC and Xbox as well. Unless you have actual data to show that many fans of Harry Potter are Playstation fans/owners that, for some reason, didn't already buy a next gen system - this is just wishful dreams on your part.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Jim Ryan is in shambles...

WZczJNH.gif

And further proof you are a warrior utterly incapable of discussion. Thanks for proving my point.

Well if you want a proper discussion and want to be taken seriously you probably shouldn’t start it off by calling two highly praised game series “disappointing shallow garbage”

Shit, its almost like I have my own opinion and thought they were just that. And it wasn't only me, but many others on GAF let alone elsewhere on the internet, away from the mindless warring nonsense. Sorry, next time I will do better and *only* parrot personal popular opinions that you have.

Last edited:
I am here to debate and discuss which is, you know, the whole point of forums? You seem to be here only to sing praises of your favorite plastic box and refuse to elaborate or discuss in detail because you are utterly incapable of doing so. Which clearly shows given your continued lack of proper responses to my inquiries.

Do better.

I just want to have a proper discussion, but they are wholly incapable to explaining *why* this is a "perfect storm".

To many, according to the various voices on GAF and elsewhere. The only ones who keep claiming it is objectively great are fanboys and warriors. The fact that you have to bring Xbox into this is some sad attempt at a console warrior gacha and clearly shows where your mindset is at.

TLOU the Show didn't make the game "mainstream". It already was. Hogwarts will not sell anyone on a next gen console, it is literally available on PC and Xbox as well. Unless you have actual data to show that many fans of Harry Potter are Playstation fans/owners that, for some reason, didn't already buy a next gen system - this is just wishful dreams on your part.

Too many my backside. You realize that these forums are the fringe of the fringe, and that even within this tiny group, only the contrarians manifest themselves constantly, making the noise of an army when they are but a few? Whether you like the game or not is irrelevant: It was praised by the press and by the majority of players and broke sales records. Those are facts.
The Last of Us was a mainstream IP within the gaming community, now it has reached millions of people who had never heard of it...That's the whole point of adapting it in the first place; expanding the potential audiance and keeping the engagement of the fans. What were you arguing again?
Hogwarts will not sell anyone on a next-gen system? What? 🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:
And further proof you are a warrior utterly incapable of discussion. Thanks for proving my point.

Shit, its almost like I have my own opinion and thought they were just that. And it wasn't only me, but many others on GAF let alone elsewhere on the internet, away from the mindless warring nonsense. Sorry, next time I will do better and *only* parrot personal popular opinions that you have.

There is no discussion to be had. The topic title is the most obviously correct assertion ever. How you convinced yourself of having found reasons to oppose it is remarkable...

Unknown?

Do better.

To many, according to the various voices on GAF and elsewhere. The only ones who keep claiming it is objectively great are fanboys and warriors. The reality is, the sequel was an incredibly mixed bag. Similar thing is happening with GoW: Ragnarok. The fact that you have to bring Xbox into this is some sad attempt at a console warrior gacha and clearly shows where your mindset is at.

If you want a good conversation then stop posting a personal opinion like it has anything to do with the market

onQ123

Do better.

The answer you seek is in the thread title

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Too many my backside. You realize that these forums are the fringe of the fringe, and that even within this tiny group, only the contrarians manifest themselves constantly, making the noise of an army when they are but a few?
Yet you and others like to bring up people enjoying them in your own little circles, even here on GAF to push your claims. So it is only OK to do it when it is something you personally believe? Let's be honest and just say you are ignoring anyone you disagree with here.

Whether you like the game or not is irrelevant: It was praised by the press and by the majority of players and broke sales records.
As long as something is praised or disregarded by the press, that means it is reality? So we should look at how many places outright shat on Hogwarts Legacy and say that is indicative of the quality of the product and the reality? Those are "facts" to you? Reality is, press means absolutely nothing. The only ones who put stock in what the press (or metacritic/opencritic) are warriors and children who need validation for their purchases, as I have said for years now and keep getting proven correct each passing week.

The only thing here that even partially matters is sales records, even then it could be heavily argued. Yes the games sold exceptionally well - but given the response by players with some loving, some hating, and some in the middle - we won't know if the sales will be as good with their respective sequels. Last Jedi also did exceptionally well in theatres with box office sales, but it was widly regarded by many as a terrible film. We directly saw a decrease in box office sales with its follow up. We could see the same thing with these games' sequels. It is too early to tell.

The Last of Us was a mainstream IP within the gaming community, now it has reached millions of people who.had never heard of it...That's the whole point of adapting it in the first place; expanding the potential audiance and keeping the engagements of the fans. What were you arguing again?
It was already mainstream by the general public. That is like saying that the Mario is not a mainstream IP and that the movie adaptation was made to reach "millions who never heard of it". Absolute Clown world to think otherwise.

Hogwarts will not sell anyone on a next-gen system? What? 🤡🤡🤡
The argument was that Hogwarts will sell people on PS5 specifically. Provide evidence that it would do so, until then you are talking out your ass.

Last edited:

SSfox

It's all preference and subjective but the best games are and will be on PS5. Nintendo will have the Zelda game but that's about it, MS has nothing appealing to me, PS5 the list is quite long, plus the better versions of multiplates + dual sens features as nice bonus.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You can have your own opinion while recognizing that most disagree with you and that there’s massive commercial appeal
You guys always talk about commercial appeal, the review scores, sales numbers and all that. I don't think the opinion of a gaming journo or how much a game appeals to the lowest common denominator (the masses) are the factors to decide if a game is good or not.

And I think there's a window of discussion to be had if for once we could forget about all that and focus on the games themselves.

Nothing against you btw, I just quoted you because I see the "commercial appeal" and review scores mentioned a lot, and for a forum that's meant for gaming enthusiasts that seems like a very weak argument.

And yeah, pokemon fucking sucks. Wish they gave that IP to another dev.

The argument was that Hogwarts will sell people on PS5 specifically. Provide evidence that it would do so, until then you are talking out your ass.

Maybe if I’m in the market for a new console just because of Hogwarts I’m going to pick the one up that has god of war, Spider-Man, TLOU, etc

It’s not a stretch either, the vast majority of Hogwarts sales are on PS5

Unknown?

I don't think the opinion of a gaming journo or how much a game appeals to the lowest common denominator (the masses) are the factors to decide if a game is good or not.
It's not a good factor but that wasn't what was being debated, at least not initially. A game being good doesn't necessarily mean a mainstream hit and plenty of mediocre games become hits...

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

It's the perfect storm because God of War Ragnarok was met with absolutely incredible reviews, is the fastest selling Playstation exclusive ever, and is near-universally beloved by fans; The Last of Us as an IP is bigger than ever, The Last of Us Part I got phenomenal reviews, and the Last of Us television series is being received as one of the very best shows of the year and has the second highest viewership numbers an HBO show has had in over a decade; Hogwarts Legacy has partnered with Playstation for branding and promotional deals, including exclusive content, the game is on pace to likely be the highest selling game of the year, and the PS5 version has purportedly outsold the Xbox version nearly 5:1.

PS5 has been flying off of shelves and will continue to fly off of shelves, and OP is 100% right that it's in the middle of a perfect storm of sales and critical reception right now.

And funnily enough the only thing you're excited about, PSVR, is probably the only branch of their brand that's likely to be a failure this generation.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

It's not a good factor but that wasn't what was being debated, at least not initially. A game being good doesn't necessarily mean a mainstream hit and plenty of mediocre games become hits...
Yeah sorry I was going off on a tangent for a bit. It's just that I see that argument thrown around a lot, while imo it'd be best to talk about the positive qualities of the game instead of just "dude go read the reviews, they say it's great".

The only thing in it's way for the next few months is Metroid Prime Remastered & Zelda Tears Of The Kingdom .

Hogwarts Legacy releasing on current gen first most likely shift more people into the current generation than anything else that has happened in the last 2 years & it look like PS5 can ride this wave throughout the next few months.
Even if none of that was true the PS5 would still be popping off. Nobody has a stronger home consoles brand than Playstation.

You guys always talk about commercial appeal, the review scores, sales numbers and all that. I don't think the opinion of a gaming journo or how much a game appeals to the lowest common denominator (the masses) are the factors to decide if a game is good or not.

And I think there's a window of discussion to be had if for once we could forget about all that and focus on the games themselves.

Nothing against you btw, I just quoted you because I see the "commercial appeal" and review scores mentioned a lot, and for a forum that's meant for gaming enthusiasts that seems like a very weak argument.

And yeah, pokemon fucking sucks. Wish they gave that IP to another dev.

Well that's the thing though, this topic mostly seems to be about commercial appeal. Everyone is free to have their own opinion on any game. You don't like GoWR or TLOU? Fine, that's like your opinion man. But given the critical and commercial acclaim you'd be in the minority for thinking that.

I don't like CoD, but I recognize the appeal/importance of it.

TintoConCasera

Well that's the thing though, this topic mostly seems to be about commercial appeal. Everyone is free to have their own opinion on any game. You don't like GoWR or TLOU? Fine, that's like your opinion man. But given the critical and commercial acclaim you'd be in the minority for thinking that.

Just saying you shouldn't dismiss an opinion just for being in the minority. If whenever we disagree with someone all we had was "that's your opinion man" this would be quite the boring place. Sorry if I was a bit offtopic with all that.

And yeah COD already went to shit imo and it's peak was the first game and it's expansion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If you dont like gamers ragging on successful Sony games, maybe you shouldn't rag on MS games. If you're going to be a warrior, at least let both sides do it with out complaining.

I did a quick search on this to see if you do the same, and I was right. The first thread that came to mind and you were right there battling gamers when MS was on the road to publisher of the year when a GAFFER tallied up scores (which was true as MS did win).

Here's one of your beauty responses when you got called out for bashing MS games.

low level bait? It’s called having an opinion, grow a spine instead of being overly defensive

Last edited:
If you dont like gamers ragging on successful Sony games, maybe you shouldn't rag on MS games. If you're going to be a warrior, at least let both sides do it with out complaining.

I did a quick search on this to see if you do the same, and I was right. The first thread that came to mind and you were right there battling gamers when MS was on the road to publisher of the year when a GAFFER tallied up scores (which was true as MS did win).

[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]

Here's one of your beauty responses when you got called out for bashing MS games.

Context. Do you understand it?

I have praised plenty of MS games. I quite enjoyed Halo Infinite that gets routinely bashed by their own community. Just because I didn't think they were "PUBLISHER OF THE MILLENIUM FOR 2021" doesn't mean I think all of their games are bad.

Nice try tho, warrior.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Context. Do you understand it?

I have praised plenty of MS games. I quite enjoyed Halo Infinite that gets routinely bashed by their own community. Just because I didn't think they were "PUBLISHER OF THE MILLENIUM FOR 2022" doesn't mean I think all of their games are bad.

Nice try tho, warrior.
Really? You said this in the same thread in my link.
but it’s certainly a much better year than most for MS even with the disappointing release of Halo, they can’t continue to let that IP flounder
Relax warrior.

Nobody ever said MS is Publisher of the Millennium 2022. What ever that means. That thread was for MC Publisher of the Year for 2021. It was one year and in that thread you were going ape shit trying to deflate MS's games.

Last edited:
Really? You said this in the same thread in my link.

Relax warrior.

Nobody ever said MS is Publisher of the Millennium 2022. What ever that means. That thread was for MC Publisher of the Year for 2021. It was one year and in that thread you were going ape shit trying to deflate MS's games.

Halo has disappointed. That doesn't make it a bad game. Read, warrior.

twilo99

PlayStation is such a solid brand that it’s never going to be in trouble, at least not at least we completely change the paradigm and how we consume video games, or their nature in general

Last edited:
They've been in some positive light from sales numbers rising and games coming out when others are struggling. Psvr2 and pro controller coming out, they've been busy the last quarter.

Top Bottom