• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Lack of Legacy Backward Compatibility Is Disappointing, but Current Games Will Matter More – Helheim Hassle Dev

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to GamingBolt in a recently interview, Ozan Drøsdal – the creative lead for upcoming narrative adventure title Helheim Hassle at indie studio Perfectly Paranormal – gave his thoughts on this disparity. And though he expressed disappointment at the lack of legacy backward compatibility in the PS5, he said that ultimately, the thing that will matter the most will be the new games that release for both consoles.

“It is a little disappointing to hear that we still can’t use our PS2 libraries without dusting off the ol’ PS2,” Drøsdal said. “It is exciting to hear that we can use the original Xbox games on the Series X. But I reckon which console to choose will always boil down to the current gen of games anyway. Or you can always get both if you save up like crazy!”

No. BC and price are the most important things for gamers due to a large survey.

It'll be fun to watch both PS5 and SX crash hard. 😂

Last edited:
Ozan Drøsdal – the creative lead for upcoming narrative adventure title Helheim Hassle at indie studio Perfectly Paranormal – gave his thoughts on this disparity.
0c3.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
There is literally no reason why the PS5 shouldn't be able to emulate at least the PS1 and PS2. Fuck it, PS3 too at this point.

This is a ball drop and i can only imagine it's for the purpose of drip feeding re-releases on PSN store.

THE most exciting "leaked feature" of PS5 was the rumored full library BC. I would love to go back to my PS2 library.

Honestly speaking, if Sony confirms that it only applies to PS4, i might either skip or jump ship. I have never sold/pawned any of my 360/PS3/PS2 games so i would get alot of mileage out of any full BC.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
There is literally no reason why the PS5 shouldn't be able to emulate at least the PS1 and PS2. Fuck it, PS3 too at this point.

This is a ball drop and i can only imagine it's for the purpose of drip feeding re-releases on PSN store.

THE most exciting "leaked feature" of PS5 was the rumored full library BC. I would love to go back to my PS2 library.

Honestly speaking, if Sony confirms that it only applies to PS4, i might either skip or jump ship. I have never sold/pawned any of my 360/PS3/PS2 games so i would get alot of mileage out of any full BC.
Gotta sell ps now subs and remasters. Same thing this generation where there was no excuse my PS1 and ps2 digital games were not compatible.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To win next gen you need backwards compatibility but the key will be new IP's, SONY won this generation through new games (Spider-Man, Horizon etc.) Microsoft doesn't have an answer to Uncharted or God of War.

It’s just a lack of resources poured into PS5 BC. Of course PS1, PS2, and PS3 games could be made to run on PS5 but Sony doesn’t find it important enough to pour resources into.

Ryu Kaiba

I think people are jumping the gun assuming it won't support Legacy consoles. GDC wasn't the place for that announcement.

Goliathy

Banned
This is the beginning of the gen though.

What Games? It took Sony YEARS to build great exclusive games.
There wasn’t a lot of good exclusive at the beginning of the PS4.. Mostly just indies and a lot of mediocre games, like the order, driveclub etc.
And for the ps5 launch we only know about godfall... which doesn’t look promising.

So, what Games? Can Sony talk about it?

If Sony don't believe it will generate more money to implement BC than not doing it, they're not doing it. Simple as that.

Kagey K

Banned
While I agree with some of what they said, it’s always nice to go back and play old games or all games in a series whenever you want.

Lets say Mass Effect or Dead Space were coming out with a new game, the options to play the first 3 are very limited, and there has been little growth in that area.

Its insulting to me that even publishers view their own work as disposable, unless they can find a way to dig into your wallet again.

Gamernyc78

Banned
No. BC and price are the most important things for gamers due to a large survey.

It'll be fun to watch both PS5 and SX crash hard. 😂

Keep waiting, same shit thy said with ps4 which had no bc and we all know how tht turned out  ignorance is a motherfuckers, it's like ppl don't pay attention to history or really what's happened in the console market.

And yeah tons of ppl want to play PS2 games on their psv when thy get it lol 😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
This fall, there will be more unemployed people than in recent memory.

These expensive consoles are not going to do well.
I have been reading that "This isn't 2006 anymore, consoles can and should be more expensive. We want A BEAST." for such a long time now here and everywhere else.
Hope that doesn't break those companies necks.

Alx

"It is exciting to hear that we can use the original Xbox games on the Series X."

To be fair, I'm not too optimistic regarding OG Xbox support either. Judging by how it works on Xbox One, it is limited to a very small number of games. Which is better than nothing, but not by much.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Prove it.

I'd absolutely love it if a console came out and remastered/released new versions of games to make 100% of my old games obsolete. Bring it on! I'm ready to spend the money.

The problem is that resources are limited, many devs lack the talent, and therefore having access to old games remains an important part of many gamers' hobby.

Ten_Fold

Is it really expensive for them to at least add ps1/ps2 support? People might use it for a few months but man that's a good ass selling point.

"“It is a little disappointing to hear that we still can’t use our PS2 libraries without dusting off the ol’ PS2,” Drøsdal said. “It is exciting to hear that we can use the original Xbox games on the Series X."

Bruh, we're talking 4% of the OG Xbox library. Granted, 4% is better than 0 (technically there are more PS2 'classics' available on PSN but those don't really count) but anyone that has genuine interest in the first Xbox's library will need to actually get the physical hardware.

Goliathy

Banned
I have been reading that "This isn't 2006 anymore, consoles can and should be more expensive. We want A BEAST." for such a long time now here and everywhere else.
Hope that doesn't break those companies necks.

Well, MS might also have a series S in the making.

Series S: $249 - Play all games with ultra settings in 1080p
Series X: $499 - Play all games with ultra settings in 4K

Won’t break any necks. $249 is doable. Also, Game pass $1 to try it out and then just a few bucks a month.
Easily affordable and still get a lot of games.

Well, MS might also have a series S in the making.

Series S: $249 - Play all games with ultra settings in 1080p
Series X: $499 - Play all games with ultra settings in 4K

Won’t break any necks. $249 is doable. Also, Game pass $1 to try it out and then just a few bucks a month.
Easily affordable and still get a lot of games.

And what of the X?

Top Bottom