• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 LOAD TIMES - was the hype real?

Radical_3d

I guess Dirt 5 has slow loading times... to be fair anything with 2 digits is already not matching the original claims... I don’t have the game so I can confirm that.

Loadtimes should be lower than 5-6s this gen... and that the top end... 2-3 seconds is preferable.
In the end it depends on how much you have to decompress. Computation is not magic after all.

Lister

Banned
Several ps5 games load in 1-3 seconds there's nothing on pc like that.

Most pc games load pretty quickly in the 2 to 15 seconds range. Depending on the game of course. If you search for comparisons on yiutube you'll see that the difference in most cases is like under 2 seconds between nvme pc and ps5, and in some cases pc loads faster. But again there aren't that many games taking full advantage of the io yet. And there are no games that support direct storage and rtx io on pc yet.

When direct storage and rtx io hit pc, pcs will almost certainly outperform the ps5.

Lol a lot? Sounds

I'm a little faster than the video by about 3 seconds so yeah about 9 seconds. How long does it take to load on a ps5?

Last edited:
I googled "PS5 vs PC load times" since that doesn't seem to have been a focus in many comparison threads (focus has been more on XsX vs PS5) and found this:

PC is a 3700x CPU using a M.2 SSD

The consoles hold up very well compared to the PC versions, both consoles win in a couple cases

--------------

GTA 5 -

30.8 seconds PC NCMe,
27.8 seconds PS5,
29 seconds XsX

Shadow of the Tomb Raider -

12.8 seconds PC NVMe,
20 seconds PS5,
22 seconds XsX

Outer Worlds -

5.3 seconds PC NVMe,
7.5 seconds PS5 and XsX

RDR2 -

24.2 seconds PC NVMe,
22.2 seconds PS5,
25.4 seconds XsX

Kingdom Come: Deliverance -

5.3 seconds PC NVMe,
5.6 seconds PS5,
6.5 seconds XsX

AC: Odyssey -

27.5 seconds PC NVMe,
18.1 seconds PS5,
19.2 seconds XsX

Witcher 3 -

5.3 seconds on all 3

Last edited:
I normally play PC games on an M.2 so I haven't noticed a big difference, but there is a difference. Demons Souls levels load in a second or two. Astro's Playroom has basically zero loading.

The only game that I have noticed that has load times and screens is Bugsnax and I suspect it's not the holy grial of coding so it's likely the devs' fault.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That Miles Morales load time that everyone was touting on the PS5 from the factory interior to the exterior was the same on the PS4 as the PS5. They just hid the load when you completed the mission.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
For first party native PS5 games, yes. Sackboy, Spider-Man, Demon Souls, etc. BC games don't really tap the native loading API I think, so it is just brute force. Watch Dog's Legion was pretty damn fast too.

Azaroth

Cross platform games (currently) and BC, not so much. Improved, but not in the "instant" class.

First party game definitely. Astros Playroom and Spider-Man are ridiculous. Still get a smile everytime.
This has been my experience as well. Astro and Demon's Souls, the loading is fast enough that it's more like a brief pause that just transitions you to the level, so it feels like a big leap forward. Assassin's Creed Valhalla loading times, however, are long enough that it just feels like a typical video game loading that we're used to. They definitely aren't overly long or annoying, but not fast enough that it feels all that special. But I assume they didn't do much to really take advantage of the PS5's architecture since AC:V is cross platform and I'm sure they were rushed in getting it released on multiple platforms. It will be interesting to see if most third parties start giving the loading times a bigger focus as the generation goes forward.

SpiceRacz

It's at a point where I don't even think about loading times. The only game that I've noticed takes a while is the F2P game 3on3 FreeStyle. That takes about 30 seconds to load when you start it up and that feels like an eternity on PS5.

Neo_game

I saw ACV video where loading time on PS5 was 52secs. It was more for the SX and last gen consoles I think took 2mins. I think loading times is a big factor andconsidering PS5 SSD is 2x faster than the Xbox. It is rather disappointing.

Was it over hyped technically? Yes. There are still plenty of load times.

With that said, it is SO much faster than the PS4 it makes a world of difference. Something that would take a solid minute or more on PS4 will take less than half that on PS5. Probably even one third the time. It's a thing of beauty and it alone is worth the cost of the console to me.

Last edited:

devilNprada

load times are great... Valhalla is not perfect but much less painful with all the crashes I get..

I am still going to gripe about coming out of rest mode to the home screen and not in the game itself though.. (like PS4 did)

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Its decent but was completely overhyped. I feel my xss loads faster and quick resume is the real game changer here.....quite literally lol
Sniff sniff

What's this??? Someone is enjoying a SONY product?!?! Better get my club and crawl out of my cave to go do battle online.

Surely me spouting an unrelated opinion will really show those idiots they aren't actually having fun with their new toys!!!
CPauywK.png

Arthimura

It's real. I finished Demon's Souls and Miles Morales and basically there's no load times.

It's a real pain to get back to PS4 games, like Call of Duty Warzone, it takes a lifetime to get into the game.

Eternal21

You'll have to wait for actual PS5 games (and not PS4 games running in compatibility mode) to answer that question.

Arthimura

For a lot games, my PC is still faster at loading (nvme SSD). But are there even games that take full advantage of the PS5's I/O bus yet? And of course Direct storage and RTX I/O are coming to PC too.

From what I've seen so far it's a day and night difference from the old consoles, but not from what PC has had for the last half a decade. that might change as game start taking full advantage of that improved I/O on the consoles.
Proof?

Loading times in Demon's Souls and Spider-Man are 1-3 seconds, what games are you playing on PC with faster loading times?

Everything I've played on mine has been easily the fastest-loading gaming experience I've seen yet.

The UI to game to media to store, etc... just flows.

Matt_Fox

It's good to hear so many positive comments. In truth, the two games I've been mostly playing over the last fortnight have been Days Gone and Call Of Duty.

My own experience is a bit more lukewarm. Both games still have significant loading times. It will be interesting to see if the 'instantaneous' really only applies to new first-party titles going forward.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It's good to hear so many positive comments. In truth, the two games I've been mostly playing over the last fortnight have been Days Gone and Call Of Duty.

My own experience is a bit more lukewarm. Both games still have significant loading times. It will be interesting to see if the 'instantaneous' really only applies to new first-party titles going forward.
Even though those both have next gen patches/versions, it's hard to know if last gen design held them back. We will really know when cross gen support starts to trail off.

How is Ghost on it? It was already lightning fast on the PS4 HDD. Any comparisons?

This question led me down a little bit of a wild hunt as the game loads at about 14-15 seconds off my external SSD, which I thought was great for a BC game. Fast travel is 3-4 seconds tops.

I then googled GOT loading times on PS4 and saw that at one point the Pro was loading it in 8ish seconds, but I guess that changed when multiplayer, NG+ and other content was added, as load times grew a bit after those updates.

From what I have gathered, 15 seconds off an external is still a bit faster than base PS4 loads the current up-to-date game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This question led me down a little bit of a wild hunt as the game loads at about 14-15 seconds off my external SSD, which I thought was great for a BC game. Fast travel is 3-4 seconds tops.

I then googled GOT loading times on PS4 and saw that at one point the Pro was loading it in 8ish seconds, but I guess that changed when multiplayer, NG+ and other content was added, as load times grew a bit after those updates.

From what I have gathered, 15 seconds off an external is still a bit faster than base PS4 loads the current up-to-date game.

I was going to say, I did notice it loading a bit slower on the PS4 compared to around when it first launched when I went back in the other day. Still fast, but about half as fast-ish.

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm generally very happy with next gen loading.

Loading times never really bothered me too much, as long as it was kept around 10 seconds or so and wasn't frequent - but it really depends on the placement. For some instance like Tokyo Mirage #FE on Wii U - it has brief loading like a second or so going into battles, while it's short, it bothered me quite a bit.

Then again, Spider-Man subway scene, or BOTW loading - while much longer - I didn't mind that much. Initial loading time over 1 minute sometimes feels too long, but I was pretty much happy as long as the loading like that didn't happen either... and current gen on both PS5 and XSX, solved it on all the game that I have at least. Sometimes so fast, I just felt like I'm not mentally ready to get back in. ;)

Top Bottom