• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Major September System Update

Shmunter

Crap, they still do t acknowledge people using external headphones. E.g. plugged into the tv or receiver.

I guess the workaround is to set to tv and ignore the calibration when doing the above.

Justin9mm

If you are using the soundbar via ARC from the TV, you can change the soundbar selection in that PS5 menu to TV, and then those options become available, and it allows you to calibrate through the soundbar - which is what I did - but I haven't had time to try any content I know to work well on phones, to see if it works as hoped.

I have a funny feeling, the console is reading the TV's identifier to have knowledge of the TV's speaker specs and relative positions, and reading the TV internal setting for whether the TV is on a stand or wall mounted, so its algorithm would have false info if using a soundbar instead of the TV internal speakers.

Makes me want to try the PS5 3D audio on the spare TV's excellent 60watt fluid magnetic speakers.
I have a full 5.1 surround system through my AVR and the PS5 allows me to select home theatre as an option. Why would I change the option to TV just to calibrate 3D Audio without 5.1? That sounds counter-intuitive to Sony providing a 5.1 Surround option. Sony already said 3D audio is coming for home theatre at a later date.

Last edited:
You can't use both at the same time on PS5. You must use your TV audio with the new 3D stuff OR your home theater. As of now, there is no virtual 3D audio for home theaters, but Sony said they will bring it in a later date.

I tried both, 3D is pretty cool, but 5.1 or higher is better ☺️ still a very surprising feature, imo.
Thanks. I see. Yeah, it’s definitely hard to beat a good 5.1 system. Once you hear it, it’s hard to listen to anything else imo.

Apeopleman

Installed my Samsung 980 pro with made in China heat sink purchased from Amazon for 12.99.

then proceeded to install the space monsters on the SSD storage. Aka Warzone (104gb) and FF7 remake (80 GB) and Destiny 2 (74 GB) lmao

Withnail

I have a funny feeling, the console is reading the TV's identifier to have knowledge of the TV's speaker specs and relative positions, and reading the TV internal setting for whether the TV is on a stand or wall mounted, so its algorithm would have false info if using a soundbar instead of the TV internal speakers.

It doesn't need to, that's what the calibration is for, along with things like where you're sitting in relation to the TV. TV's don't report that level of information anyway.

I'm also using ARC and I can't think of any reason why the 3D calibration available when using the TV setting doesn't apply to this setup.

Moonjt9

Tried the 3D audio with my soundbar. Sounds really good in Astrobot. Sounds muffled and weak in games that don’t natively support 3D audio. A bit of a hit and miss situation. I ended up turning it off for the time being because switching back and forth depending on the game will get old real fast.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The only update I wait is the possibility to remove the Playstation Hits band from covers

r6Pdh35.jpg

puke GIF

That's your punishment for not buying the game at full price when it was released.

Last edited:

John Wick

The whining over VRR is so overblown. Sure it's a neat feature but it's not even properly standardised yet and it will be useful to probably <1% of users (though they are disproportionately represented on forums like this one).

I think people forget that PS4 launched without suspend/resume and PS3 users waited almost two years for in-game XMB. VRR is nothing compared to that.
VRR won't be coming until the HDMi alliance update the spec. I watched a Sony TV engineer getting interviewed about when the new 2021 TVs would get the VRR update and he stated 'Sony are just waiting on the HDMi alliance to finalise the spec and they are ready to go'.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My 1tb Samsung 980 also only gave me around 5.5 on the benchmark. 🧐

Shinanigans!
Waiting for my heatsink, but I have gone with a Samsung 980, maybe the OS is being cautious in its appraisal, also wasn't there rumours that Samsung (maybe some other manufacturer) was replacing parts on their 980 chipsets that made them slower, because of the chip supply issues going on?

What was the production date for yours, mine is 2021-04-07

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So the now the main remaining features now are:
-VRR support
-1440p support
-3D audio support for soundbars and 5.1/7.1
-To add folders
-To add themes
-To fix the clock
-To improve stability
I hope that rather than the implementation of Folders like they had on PS4, which limited a game to being in one given Folder, they go with a more flexible tagging/pinning system. The Xbox OS handles this perfectly for me, I can categorise a game in multiple ways. For example a game I'm currently playing may be added to my 'On Deck' category which is pinned to the top for easy access and also my 'RPG' category.

Shmunter

Waiting for my heatsink, but I have gone with a Samsung 980, maybe the OS is being cautious in its appraisal, also wasn't there rumours that Samsung (maybe some other manufacturer) was replacing parts on their 980 chipsets that made them slower, because of the chip supply issues going on?

No idea, I’ve dressed it with a heat sink already. But the drive is advertised as 7.0, so I can’t see them nerfing it if it’s part of the spec.

Edit: copied 104gig from internal in 1.09 minutes. How’s that fare?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
VRR won't be coming until the HDMi alliance update the spec. I watched a Sony TV engineer getting interviewed about when the new 2021 TVs would get the VRR update and he stated 'Sony are just waiting on the HDMi alliance to finalise the spec and they are ready to go'.

This is what I don't understand, why Sony has to wait for the alliance while MS already has the tech working? Is it that MS didn't wait for the final specification and released the feature hoping/knowing it'll work anyway (probably the reason why it's not as smooth as Freesync)? I'd like to know the full story behind this. And speaking of Freesync - if the HDMI alliance is the showstopper, why can't Sony just implement FS in the meantime? They have AMD GPU, and many TVs that support VRR also support Freesync as well, so that could've been a good workaround/alternative.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is what I don't understand, why Sony has to wait for the alliance while MS already has the tech working? Is it that MS didn't wait for the final specification and released the feature hoping/knowing it'll work anyway (probably the reason why it's not as smooth as Freesync)? I'd like to know the full story behind this. And speaking of Freesync - if the HDMI alliance is the showstopper, why can't Sony just implement FS in the meantime? They have AMD GPU, and many TVs that support VRR also support Freesync as well, so that could've been a good workaround/alternative.
Yep that's basically it, they did the exact same thing for hdr and ps4 the console was ready for it but they added it in an update once the specs have been finalised.That's how they operate, it may be part of their japanese way of thinking.

Skifi28

Well, I imagine it's because MS doesn't sell TVs. Sony probably doesn't want to come out and and say "PS5, fully take advantage of it with all TVs except our own"

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
No idea, I’ve dressed it with a heat sink already. But the drive is advertised as 7.0, so I can’t see them nerfing it if it’s part of the spec.

Edit: copied 104gig from internal in 1.09 minutes. How’s that fare?
Can't test on mine yet until I get the heat sink. That will be a testing the write speed of the Samsung, but I think that is ~1,507MB/s and the max write speed of the drive is advertised at 2,000 MB/s so not unreasonable I guess.

In real life terms I think 104GB in just over a minute is great, can't wait to be able to shift some PS5 games onto it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, I imagine it's because MS doesn't sell TVs. Sony probably doesn't want to come out and and say "PS5, fully take advantage of it with all TVs except our own"
Maybe, but also I think maybe because MS support Freesync and so do some TV manufactures, whereas Sony (and some other manufacturers) are sticking to the the HDMI 2.1 spec of how VRR should be implemented?

ZywyPL

Banned

Yeah, it's exactly the same deal with TVs - how come every manufacturer out there has the feature except Sony? They're promising to patch their TVs since 2019 and two years later the results are nowhere to be found... It's actually one of the reasons I skipped Sony thsi time around in favor of LG when buying my latest TV set.

PaintTinJr

I have a full 5.1 surround system through my AVR and the PS5 allows me to select home theatre as an option. Why would I change the option to TV just to calibrate 3D Audio without 5.1? That sounds counter-intuitive to Sony providing a 5.1 Surround option. Sony already said 3D audio is coming for home theatre at a later date.
Sorry I didn't explain it well enough, because that's not what I meant.

In my setup, all my devices connect into the TV, and the magnetic fluid speakers 2.1 Soundbar/sub gets all the audio via the TVs ARC hdmi, so setting the PS5 to TV or soundbar doesn't change that all my audio comes out of my soundbar - I would have to make that change on the TV itself- so changing on the PS5 probably just changes the PS5 EQ settings for the intended output for me - and on a 5.1 it probably changes where the 5.1 mapping takes place - in the Ps5 or the receiver/AMP.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
So they made new PS5, PS4, and PS3 (for PS Now games) labels to show on games in your library. Makes you wonder if there are PS1 and PS2 labels hidden in the firmware.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
would be incredible if they improve PSNOW allow stream AND download for all ps4/ps5 games available and PS1, PS2 as well.

Or include extra 1-2 games (from PS1, PS2 library) on PS Plus every month.

yurinka

would be incredible if they improve PSNOW allow stream AND download for all ps4/ps5 games available and PS1, PS2 as well.

Or include extra 1-2 games (from PS1, PS2 library) on PS Plus every month.
As I remember all PS2 games available included in PS Now (the original ones, not their remasters for PS3) are digital 'PS2 classics' that can be downloaded and played in PS4 and PS5. It would be nice to do the same with PS1 Classics, allowing you to download not buying again those you bought for PS3/PSP/PS Vita, since they also had crossbuy there.

So they made new PS5, PS4, and PS3 (for PS Now games) labels to show on games in your library. Makes you wonder if there are PS1 and PS2 labels hidden in the firmware.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
There are some dozens of PS2 playable on PS4 and PS5. But I'd say they are labeled there as PS4 digital games (not sure, I don't have a PS4).

Last edited:

ManaByte

There are some dozens of PS2 playable on PS4 and PS5. But I'd say they are labeled there as PS4 digital games (not sure, I don't have a PS4).

Because they ARE PS4 games. They have trophies. They're just ports using an emulation wrapper and added trophies, so they're considered PS4 games and not PS2 games.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Awesome update. I probably won't have one for a few more years but I'm looking forward to the day when I pick one up. I'll hopefully be able to pick up all the exclusives at that Playstation hits price. I did this with ps3 and ps4 as well.

The hardest part about installing the M.2 was working out how the PS5 cover came off. Bloody thing.
Apart from that it was simple.
The WD SN850 I put in showed a read speed of 6560.

John Wick

It's basically this a new spec is releasing so Sony would rather wait for that and then release the firmware rather than release one first and then have to release another after. This is Sony afterall and one engineer can only do so much lol.
Regarding FS I have no idea why Sony never joined it.
Sony are fucking retarded. Gaming company has the least gaming friendly TVs. You just can't make this shit up.

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening

Mine is 2021-07-25

Elginer

I sure as shit hope not as I just ordered one with a heat sink

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I heard those need a firmware update to unlock the full speed it can actually do.

The WD SN850 clocked at 6545 for me.

Found this. Hopefully a fix soon!

Just installed my 980 Pro and it also reports similar 5564.394 MB/s

And this is why this is a bad idea overall vs sony having and selling only certified drives and or the plug and play solution ms went with. The least they could do is publish a list guaranteed to work with thier system......

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
And this is why this is a bad idea overall vs sony having and selling only certified drives and or the plug and play solution ms went with. The least they could do is publish a list guaranteed to work with thier system......
Well it works fine, just might not be reaching its own specified potential. I still prefer having a choice and the ability to throw this into a PC and get a bigger one when the prices continue to go down over having a proprietary solution. Maybe like you say, they could have the best of both worlds, provide a certified option, but still allow others that use the same open standard to still be used.

Shmunter

Yeah, seems Samsung 980 pro is a scam. Premium price for middling performance, stay away.

Top Bottom