• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Major September System Update

Elios83

2TB AORUS 7000 quickly installed and working perfectly.
The drive is recognized with a 6557 MB/s read speed.

New trophies are great.

I'm waiting for the weekend to better explore the new features.
I've quickly tried the 3D audio through the TV speakers, it works but it's absolutely not as effective as using headphones (the feeling of sound coming from behind the head is far better with headphones).
I'm going to try with different combinations including enabling and disabling virtual surround within the TV audio settings.
Also I guess that games will make a better use of it in the future, so far all the 3D audio options are designed for headphones.

SaucyJack

I hope they improved the UX/UI of the OS because PS4 version of the OS is so much better. They really ruined the friends list and party system with the PS5. Even notifications and messaging, introducing all the extra steps. This has been the biggest complaint I have with my PS5.

I think there’s a lot of areas where the UX needs to be improved. I absolutely hate that the only display option in the Library, Store, etc is fucking huge tiles. By all means have it as default but seriously I’m playing on a 65 inch screen and I’m only allowed to see 8 or 10 tiles on screen FFS. Allow me smaller tiles sizes AND a fucking list view. And more filtering and sorting options.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, seems Samsung 980 pro is a scam. Premium price for middling performance, stay away.
I've ordered a SN 850 to test that, if that is faster then I'll send the 980 Pro back (for free) so nothing to lose and the SN 850 is £30 cheaper. I'm sure the Samsung is fine but it is the principle, they've either gimped the parts or it needs a Windows PC to upgrade the firmware to get the best out of it. Someone look out because there may be a 980 Pro coming Amazon Warehouse at a reduced price in a week or so :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Shmunter

This might interest you.

I’ve read reports it doesn’t improve anything on PS5. I’ve also read that running the benchmark by formatting a few times can give differing results to a good degree. So there is possibility the benchmark itself can be inaccurate.

Someone needs to run a few tests, I would but I have a 1tb drive full and can’t be troubled to that degree. BUT, everything runs great as an upside.

Edit:dupe

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I’ve read reports it doesn’t improve anything on PS5. I’ve also read that running the benchmark by formatting a few times can give differing results to a good degree. So there is possibility the benchmark itself can be inaccurate.

Someone needs to run a few tests, I would but I have a 1tb drive full and can’t be troubled to that degree. BUT, everything runs great as an upside.
Yeah I think it will be fine, and like you say probably the way that Sony tests it is not perfect and non of them reach their theoretical limits. I'll do some formats tonight and then test against the SN850 that should arrive tomorrow, after that I'll decide which to keep. The main thing is they all are fine for playing PS5 games and run as fast (sometimes faster) than the native.

Yeah I think it will be fine, and like you say probably the way that Sony tests it is not perfect and non of them reach their theoretical limits. I'll do some formats tonight and then test against the SN850 that should arrive tomorrow, after that I'll decide which to keep. The main thing is they all are fine for playing PS5 games and run as fast (sometimes faster) than the native.
You also have to remember that the internal drive is running the OS as well which makes it a tad slower. I noticed that PS4 games loaded faster on my external SSD via USB than they did from the internal SSD drive. So hopefully games will run a tad faster off of the expansion drive than internal as well, even if it's just by a tiny bit.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You also have to remember that the internal drive is running the OS as well which makes it a tad slower. I noticed that PS4 games loaded faster on my external SSD via USB than they did from the internal SSD drive. So hopefully games will run a tad faster off of the expansion drive than internal as well, even if it's just by a tiny bit.
This could be from the always recorded gameplay that is always writing on the ssd.That is true for both console by the way

LordOfChaos

Not sure if it's in my head, but it seems slightly faster on OS menus now

Like before I even posted about how it was much faster than previous generations, but still not what I had imagined from 3.2GHz Zen 2 cores and an extremely fast SSDs when you compare it to an iPad or something, but some of the menus seem to have a bit of that padding time reduced, a bit more snap, if you go into networking and the connection test it starts immediately without another selection, I don't think it did that before.

Seems like the overall UI is getting continued refinements which is good.

TonyK

Apparently they updated them. No more red banners.

UIU7i3F.jpg
57mo0eU.jpg
GNA16HU.jpg

Still visible here 😭 (I'm in Spain)

Gamerguy84

Just bought one of those 4Tb Sabrent with the heatsink that replaces the PS5 cover. I hope I don'r regret it.
I actually own a lot of Sabrent drives. Never had a problem with any. They offer 5 year warranty if you register it, if you don't it's usually one year.

They use Hitachi chips.

Can't speak for that exact one but I've never had issue with any of their product.

Woggleman

I actually own a lot of Sabrent drives. Never had a problem with any. They offer 5 year warranty if you register it, if you don't it's usually one year.

They use Hitachi chips.

Can't speak for that exact one but I've never had issue with any of their product.
I did my research on the brand I have heard pretty all good things. I got it because it is 4TB so I won't have to worry about storage for a very long time and it has a built in heatsink specially designed for the PS5. It cost a pretty penny though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
When you said option button I checked on the dashboard but could not for the life of me find it, I was like where the fuck is it haha. Tried pressing start button and behold there it was. So I guess start is options lol.
You know what? I was hesitating about adding on your controller on my post since Sony replaced start with option last gen and I knew it was slightly ambiguous (ambigous?).But I was hoping you'd get it eventually if you have any more trouble about the OS there's a lot of videos posted either by Sony or youtubers and I am sure there's a lot I don't know either.

TonyK

Question

Are they installed on your console right now? I think they have to be installed to change the pic.
No, all those are uninstalled. I can try to install one. But later, if I uninstall them, will they revert to the PlayStation Hits version? Well, I think I need to try it and discover it for myself, but it's weird that they don't change automatically even if they are uninstalled.

TonyK

Question

Are they installed on your console right now? I think they have to be installed to change the pic.
Tested. The cover of the installed game changes to a version without the red banner, but the cover in the library remains with the playstation hits banner 😓

I heard those need a firmware update to unlock the full speed it can actually do.

The WD SN850 clocked at 6545 for me.

Found this. Hopefully a fix soon!

Mine was about the same as yours, I went with that model because that's what Cerny is using lol. I got the 2TB version though but yeah it's showing up at over 6500 as well which is good.

Last edited:

mostarda!

Neo Member
Please bring Dolby ATMOS for gaming, which is already a standard in object based audio format in industry.. a lot devices support the technology, just cannot understand the decision to leave it off to promote the Tempest 3D thing, btw this for speakers was disappointing... high expectation on that, i think this only work well for Pulse headsets, maybe its better to leave this just for it.

You guys think that Tempest3D thing will work well in an update to support 5.1 / 7.1 A/V Receivers, Soundbars.. etc? i don`t think so.
And let's say if it works.. i think will not be any better than Dolby ATMOS.. just saying.

Mr Moose

When you said option button I checked on the dashboard but could not for the life of me find it, I was like where the fuck is it haha. Tried pressing start button and behold there it was. So I guess start is options lol.
That button has been "Options" since DualShock 4, btw. (now it's 3 lines).
6017808_R_Z001A

How's the TV 3D audio for you guys?

I calibrated it, tried it, and it sounded like sound was coming from inside a small box. Turned it off.
It has depth but without good sound.
It sounds OK, I could use it and not care (with Genshin). I'll have to try with other games to be sure.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Please bring Dolby ATMOS for gaming, which is already a standard in object based audio format in industry.. a lot devices support the technology, just cannot understand the decision to leave it off to promote the Tempest 3D thing, btw this for speakers was disappointing... high expectation on that, i think this only work well for Pulse headsets, maybe its better to leave this just for it.

You guys think that Tempest3D thing will work well in an update to support 5.1 / 7.1 A/V Receivers, Soundbars.. etc? i don`t think so.
And let's say if it works.. i think will not be any better than Dolby ATMOS.. just saying.
Tempest currently only works with 2 speakers, roadmap is to support surround speakers next. Once that is implemented everyone will have 3D on their preferred setup.

Gamerguy84

dano1

A Sheep
Mine was about the same as yours, I went with that model because that's what Cerny is using lol. I got the 2TB version though but yeah it's showing up at over 6500 as well which is good.
Yes I got the 2TB version also. So nice to have all my games back and ready to play!

Nickolaidas

Banned
I have two questions regarding the PS5 in general:

1) Does 3D audio work with a 5.1 dolby surround system, or is it only for headphones and your TV speakers right now?
2) (unrelated to the firmware update) Does the 'updated' PS5 console (the infamous 'worse cooling' one) have coil whine?

Last edited:

GymWolf

After this update, every time I put FFVIIR’s disk to play the game, it tries to download the PS4 version....it’s little annoying.
It's not a new problem.

Retarded ps5 not even understanding that you want to play the ps5 version of a game and not the ps4 one is a problem since launch, you were just lucky.

Last edited:

Urban

The only thing I notice is that after every controller update the L2 and R2 are not that strong how they were at the beginning. Like they made the feedback less impactful while playing shooters (cod Cold War )

Top Bottom