• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 needs its own 'Xbox All Access' program if it wants to beat Microsoft

FeiRR

Banned
There aren't many offers in the states at 0%. You'll get some 0% same as cash no payments for X months type offers, but as soon as you don't pay the loan in full at the set time (you just opt to start making payments) all the accrued interest gets figured in. Terms as good as the All Access program are not easy to come by.
24 x 25 = 600 which means 200% of the price. I don't see anything good about it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If you plan is to get Gamepass for two year it's a great deal. But keep in mind after those 2 years if you cancel your subscription, you have 0 game to play with.
What? Does this plan prevent you from buying games like everyone else?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No it doesn't. The PlayStation brand is so much stronger in most of the world that it'll be fine either way.

Would be nice though.

Jtibh

Banned
ZHL3kGE.jpg

h0RKDN1.jpg

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
When you have to finance 300 bucks over 2 years......its time to collect bottles.

Really??? You need to finance 300 DOLLARS???

😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂😂😂

Reactions: GHG

Three

They should probably wait to see if it work out for MS before they say that Sony need to do it to beat them.
Why should they wait to see? MS have been doing this with xbox one and xbox one x already. Nobody gives a damn. If you are putting a console on installments and end up paying more in the end you've got more pressing things to worry about.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

When you have to finance 300 bucks over 2 years......its time to collect bottles.

Really??? You need to finance 300 DOLLARS???

😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂😂😂😂

No different than putting a $100 pair of sneakers on a credit card, people do it every day (though generally the CC company doesn't give you a discount for doing it, but still).

vdopey

Game Pass Ultimate is $15 a month. I guess you're the type of user that complains when a mobile carrier figures in the price of their service when subsidizing a phone. LOL

If you have no interest in Game Pass or Live Gold, this is not the offer for you.

Interesting you bring up phones, I stupidly bought a contract phone this time round, I'm locked into a 2 year deal and the network coverage I am getting in my place right now absolutely sucks with this provider. I usually buy the phones outright and either keep the contract I was on or find a really good deal for the network, being locked into a 2 year contract being forced to pay $25 or $35 I seriously don't want, but I actually think the premise of this idea is great, its just I wish they didn't force gamepass, if you end up not using that service you are essentially paying double for the series s, also how many have managed to get a years worth of gamepass for $1 or the fact that your first month is $1 factor that into the equation as well - its really not a great deal.

DaGwaphics

Interesting you bring up phones, I stupidly bought a contract phone this time round, I'm locked into a 2 year deal and the network coverage I am getting in my place right now absolutely sucks with this provider. I usually buy the phones outright and either keep the contract I was on or find a really good deal for the network, being locked into a 2 year contract being forced to pay $25 or $35 I seriously don't want, but I actually think the premise of this idea is great, its just I wish they didn't force gamepass, if you end up not using that service you are essentially paying double for the series s, also how many have managed to get a years worth of gamepass for $1 or the fact that your first month is $1 factor that into the equation as well - its really not a great deal.

The entire program doesn't work without the services being bundled. Banks aren't that keen on 0% offers, the bundled services create a situation where the entire purchase can be profitable for all involved.

If this is anything like installment plans for mobile phone companies, there will be a lot of denied applications and/or deposits required. Possibly required use of a credit card for monthly auto-payments. Otherwise it would be too easy to have people nope out after one payment or MS will be eaten alive by fraudsters.

UnNamed

Banned
I have difficulties to follow you, since XBOX All Access is not available in my country (yet).

All Access 25x24= 600
Console + Gamepass 24months= 300+360=660

It's a good deal, since the issue here is not paying 600 euro in 24 months, but having 600 euro available immediately. People have issues to pay 600 euro in one month, but have much less issue to pay 25 euro every month.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
No different than putting a $100 pair of sneakers on a credit card, people do it every day (though generally the CC company doesn't give you a discount for doing it, but still).
How you compare paying 25 per month for 24 months to a credit card purchase since you have to pay off the credit card in a month so you dont pay interest or you get hit with big interest after that.

Its not the same . At all.
I pay with cc but i pay it off at due date. So its not like i finance i just collect the points which i can use to trade in for beat buy gift cards

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I have difficulties to follow you, since XBOX All Access is not available in my country (yet).

All Access 25x24= 600

It's a good deal, since the issue here is not paying 600 euro in 24 months, but having 600 euro available immediately. People have issues to pay 600 euro in one month, but have much less issue to pay 25 euro every month.
Everyone knows it's a good deal. That's why this thread is full of people downplaying it.

Jtibh

Banned

All Access 25x24= 600

Or they could have saved up 25 per month for the last year knowing consoles are coming out end of 2020.
These are the same people whonhave no issues to blow a 100 per night in a club or blow 200 a month on smoke or junk food or any other nonsence.

DaGwaphics

How you compare paying 25 per month for 24 months to a credit card purchase since you have to pay off the credit card in a month so you dont pay interest or you get hit with big interest after that.

Its not the same . At all.
I pay with cc but i pay it off at due date. So its not like i finance i just collect the points which i can use to trade in for beat buy gift cards

That's the best way to do it sure, but a lot of people will run a balance and will pay interest on their purchases.

As with all things, its about trying to bring as many people as possible into the fold. There are a lot of different income brackets that might want to participate in gaming.

^ That's 52 million households that might find a 24 month 0% offer appealing. And this was before the pandemic hit, things are worse now.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Everyone knows it's a good deal. That's why this thread is full of people downplaying it.
Its a good insentive but when you think about it its all to push gamepass so all of you buy into this ans you will never buy a game ever but enable gamepass to be filled with junk games down the line.

Xbox is in it for the service. I bet they would give the s for free a year from now if you jist sign up for 2 or 3 years of gamepass plus gold or whatever

Jtibh

Banned
That's the best way to do it sure, but a lot of people will run a balance and will pay interest on their purchases.

As with all things, its about trying to bring as many people as possible into the fold. There are a lot of different income brackets that might want to participate in gaming.

^ That's 52 million households that might find a 24 month 0% offer appealing. And this was before the pandemic hit, things are worse now.
So the we just rack up even more debt right?
If you live above your means you should slow down.

I kmow what you mean but there are thing that are not worth it. A console is just not worth it.

Jtibh

Banned

I kmow what you mean but there are thing that are not worth it. A console is just not worth it.

DaGwaphics

I agree in theory. However, I'd disagree and say that console might be one thing that is worth it. For those with very tight finances, a console can be a cheap way to get some stress relief. A replacement if you will for other forms of entertainment that may be too expensive or unattainable.

Grinchy

Banned
If they had an option for $12.50/month for 24 months to just pay the $300 for the system, I'd call that a great deal. It's clear why they don't want to do that. To tack on a ~full priced game pass subscription is still going to be a great deal for those who like paying a subscription for a revolving list of games they may or may not want and don't know the scheduling of for those first 2 years.

But it's not a universally great deal because many people either already don't want that subscription service or will find out that it wasn't worth it to them (but only after already paying for it for 2 years). If Sony did a similar thing for PS5, I wouldn't pay for that. Why would I tack on years of a full priced PS+ or PS Now subscription? I already only pay for that shitty PS+ when there's a $30 deal, I'm already stocked up for a few years, and I just have no interest in the streaming/downloading PS Now sub. It doesn't become a good deal just because it breaks down into a "low" monthly rate.

No.

This is pretty simple, either you can afford xsx/ps5 or you can't. If you can, save up or buy outright.

Having to take a line of credit for something like a console - that launches every 7 years - is lunacy of the highest order.

If you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be gaming or doing anything than improving our life situation.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No.

This is pretty simple, either you can afford xsx/ps5 or you can't. If you can, save up or buy outright.

Having to take a line of credit for something like a console - that launches every 7 years - is lunacy of the highest order.

If you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be gaming or doing anything than improving our life situation.

Or if you can afford it with no issue, and plan on having Gamepass Ulitmate for 2 years anyway, save the 60 and go ahead and do the insensitive.

Jtibh

Banned
I agree in theory. However, I'd disagree and say that console might be one thing that is worth it. For those with very tight finances, a console can be a cheap way to get some stress relief. A replacement if you will for other forms of entertainment that may be too expensive or unattainable.
And i disagree too.
Gaming has never been this dirt cheap. Ever.
Console gaming that is. You might not know but therr was a time when cartridges cost as much as the console. And people payd cash.

Now with psnow gamepass netflix hulu etc your entertaibment options are limitless and all combined for less than what you pay for cable.

So no. These are different times. If you can pay for that dirty burger and flushbit down with some beer, daily, you can afford 300 bucks .

You just dont want to cuz you prioritize everything else above it.

Also you are not left behind cuz most games are cross gen for a long time anyways so you can still play games , the same games , and still have time to save up for the new. And maybe by that time there is a sale that will make you save even more.

Pagusas

Elden Member
🤷‍♂️ Semantics. If you can buy it, you can buy it.

Agreed, just saying that the deal it self is actually pretty good. It will sucker a lot of people who cant afford it though into it, and they'll default and be hit with fees and interest. Thats the game, its always been the game, work at any clothing store in the last 20 years and be forced to signup credit cards to college kids, these companies know what they are doing, they make barely anything off the honest hard working/pay bills on time crowd, the fee game is where the money is at.

All Access is not a bad deal.
I just don't like rent to own deals personally.

If I can't buy a thing with disposable income, then I can't afford it. (Excluding house/apartment)

Also being forced to have a gamelibrary service curated by platform owner will make it a DOA for me.

I'm a huge PlayStation fan, but I don't see my self subscribing to PS Now ever.

GymWolf

Absolutely, i realistically can't see a scenario where ps5 can beat microsoft without a playstation all access program...

I also can't see a scenario where lisa ann ask to suck me dry and i say yes.

Oh wait...

Schmick

No.

I can afford the monthly payments and I use the gamepass. There is 0 interest and there is a hidden discount on GP. How is this bad for me?

No different to how I have a mobile phone contract.

I can afford the monthly payments and I use the gamepass. There is 0 interest and there is a hidden discount on GP. How is this bad for me?

I never said it was bad for you.

It's bad to advertise a line of credit for, let's be honest, an addictive hobby, just so the debt-ridden masses can have something new and shiny.

Good for business, bad for people.

Schmick

I never said it was bad for you.

It's bad to advertise a line of credit for, let's be honest, an addictive hobby, just so the debt-ridden masses can have something new and shiny.

Good for business, bad for people.
If there wasn't All Access there would still be credit cards.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Its the unwritten rule of the game that finance companies are predatory in nature, its why they partner with companies who sell things like this, addictive hobbies + young audiences + stupid decision making = lots of people defaulting and paying fees. Someone did the math and the numbers came out showing they'd expect x% of defaults and x amount of fees over the next few years making this investment worth it. For all of us well off, we can take advantage of these deals and save some money, just recognise WE aren't the predators target, we're the people that make the idea look good, we're the Jones that make the marketing work for these companies, while the people trying to keep up over extend themselves and end up paying fees.

vdopey

I take back everything I said this is actually a great deal.

Imagine being 15 - 21 and either working a part time job while studying or living on student loans, this give an affordable means to own what can be a fairly expensive hobby and also it gives access to gamepass which has a good selection of games, that cant be denied, yeah you guys are right this does provide a good deal to many younger gamers to independently buy a console and have access to a good games library for the duration of the contract.

Sony offering something similar would certainly be beneficial to that same age range for definite.

Last edited:
That must be why xbox is croshing it in sales insce the introduction of xbox all access!

These things are always a scam, you may as well just buy it with your credit card if you want to get robbed.

CouzinD

It’s a nice option to have, but Sony doesn’t exactly need it. Fact is, they have the mindshare, the brand and the top games so people will still pay fully for as PS5.

What they DO need to do is upgrade PSNow to compete with Gamepass. That’s more imperative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom