• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 networking issues

LordOfChaos

My game downloads would always give up in rest mode as default, with a DNS error. Setting a custom DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 seemed to help a little bit, but what really fixes it is switching to 2.4GHz wireless only, which seems to have nothing to do with the DNS errors.

For context, an Eero is sitting right next to the PS5, and it's connected to the closest one on either network. Wiring in directly doesn't help, but 2.4GHz does...

So this seems like a bug with the 5GHz networking implementation, 2.4GHz works fine but then you're giving up all the additional AX and AC speeds from them using an up to date Wifi 6 chip.

I see some mention of this issue around, but are they working on a fix? The modern and good wifi 6 chip was exciting to hear about after they launched the PS4 with 2.4GHz only, now I'm forced back to that standard lol.

ethomaz

Banned
What NAT does you have in your network status? Can you run the Test Network option?
If it is the 5GHz netword you can try different channels and configs to see it it works.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I had a horrible time trying to download the Avenger PS5 update. It would just pause and ramp up the hours left. Then fail with a non descript error.
I would manually switch from 2.4 to 5 but that didn't help.
I ended up dragging the PS5 next to my router to get it wired.
I have had the PS5 since release and never had a network issue before.

FritzJ92

I used the 5Ghz with the Open Google DNS and haven't had that issue since. My Series X functions on 2.4 or 5 with no issues at all. The data speeds on 2.4GHz also seems to be extremely slower than the 5GHz, and it doesn't make sense to me. It's as if the chip is soft limiting the data throughput of the 2.4Ghz network.

xrnzaaas

The 2.4GHz router from my ISP doesn't seem to work very well with my PS5. I am getting occasional issues with the connection stopping altogether. I am probably going to renovate the room with the router and move the PS5 there in a few months to make the connection wired so it's not a huge deal. PS4 also had some ocassional networking issues, but not so severe. My XONE and my smartphone work perfectly in the same room without losing / dropping the connection.

LordOfChaos

I had a horrible time trying to download the Avenger PS5 update. It would just pause and ramp up the hours left. Then fail with a non descript error.
I would manually switch from 2.4 to 5 but that didn't help.
I ended up dragging the PS5 next to my router to get it wired.
I have had the PS5 since release and never had a network issue before.

Try the opposite, even though 2.4GHz has less bandwidth. This seems to be a common issue with their 5GHz handling.

What NAT does you have in your network status? Can you run the Test Network option?
If it is the 5GHz netword you can try different channels and configs to see it it works.

iirc it's type 2, I'll double check later

Last edited:
I been getting issues with trying to re-download Ghost of Tsushima to my PS5 lately. It'll download like half a gig worth of data then say the network failed and it may be a DNS issue, yet all my other downloads work and I'm never signed out. It's pretty odd because I can literally watch it say it failed...then go start the download of another game and complete that download...come back to Ghost of Tsushima..it'll download like 515mb worth of the games data then just pop up with the error. Been going on for like a week now so I just gave up and started playing other stuff

And im connected directly to ethernet.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I been getting issues with trying to re-download Ghost of Tsushima to my PS5 lately. It'll download like half a gig worth of data then say the network failed and it may be a DNS issue, yet all my other downloads work and I'm never signed out. It's pretty odd because I can literally watch it say it failed...then go start the download of another game and complete that download...come back to Ghost of Tsushima..it'll download like 515mb worth of the games data then just pop up with the error. Been going on for like a week now so I just gave up and started playing other stuff

And im connected directly to ethernet.

Try switching to 2.4GHz wireless, it doesn't make sense apart from being bugs in their network implementation, but the slowest link speed has been the most stable. 2.4GHz let me download big games just fine but 5GHz and wired would quit with a DNS error.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Using Wifi 6 with my PS5 and the speeds are pretty good, but when it drops the wifi connection, nothing will bring it back except a complete reboot of the console. Was hoping they'd patch that by now, but it still occurs.

xrnzaaas

Using Wifi 6 with my PS5 and the speeds are pretty good, but when it drops the wifi connection, nothing will bring it back except a complete reboot of the console. Was hoping they'd patch that by now, but it still occurs.
Yep I have the same thing. You can't refresh the list of connections. You have to reboot the console for that.

Yep I have the same thing. You can't refresh the list of connections. You have to reboot the console for that.
My wifi6 connection has never failed and caused to reboot the PS5 to reestablish. I am using the asus AXE11000, but I also have smart connect setup so 1 SSID for all 3 bands and it will autoconnect .

thatJohann

I've had the DNS issues OP describes since the Dec 9th update.

Things got a bit better once I did a full reset of my router sticking a pin into back of router reset button. My router is : TP-Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) - 802.11ax Router, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, Dual Band AX Router,Beamforming,OFDMA, MU-MIMO, Parental).

On the 5GHz wifi settings of my router, I also had to disable the AX signal, cause it was causing issues. Big clusterfuck.

Not sure what the deal is, but I don't have a single network issue with any other device except my PS5. So something's up there.

LordOfChaos

Ahh they do have a 6G capable set. Not sure if running 6G would help your situation or not.

I don't know, but I shouldn't have to shell out another 300 dollars to fix what is a networking bug with their 5GHz implementation

Wifi 6 is also on 5GHz except for Wifi 6E btw

Three

Try changing the channel on 5ghz. You can also try the 2.4ghz and 5ghz with different SSID.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Something just have changed in the last few days.

My PS5 had been fine since last year but then trying to download a patch for a PS4 game (Snowrunner) last week it just keeps failing.

Other stuff seems ok but that one just keeps falling over with “an error occurred”. Buddy of mine also had problems with a download - GOT I think.

So I think maybe it’s a problem with certain games. Whether it’s network related is difficult to say but there could be some server weirdness depending where the download is hosted.

LordOfChaos

Something just have changed in the last few days.

My PS5 had been fine since last year but then trying to download a patch for a PS4 game (Snowrunner) last week it just keeps failing.

Other stuff seems ok but that one just keeps falling over with “an error occurred”. Buddy of mine also had problems with a download - GOT I think.

So I think maybe it’s a problem with certain games. Whether it’s network related is difficult to say but there could be some server weirdness depending where the download is hosted.

Some are saying an update broke the 5GHz wifi, if you were late to updating maybe it was that

Shmunter

Big bump. Recently moved PS5 to a different location, going from wired to wifi. What a crap show - lag spikes in multiplayer all over the place with router on the other side of the room, maybe 15feet. 5gig seems more stable than 2.4. Wtf is this shit, no other device is sensitive like this. Using Archer D9.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So, i grabbed a PS5 yesterday and the console can't connect to the internet FFS...
I get error NW-102636-8 and the "Can't connect tot he internet - Your internet service provider or your router might be preventing your PS5 from connecting to the internet.
Make sure you can connect to the internet via the same network as your PS5 by testing your computer or mobile device".

ALL my other devices (2 TV's/smartphone/PC) all work fine on the same Wi-fi network, it's just the PS5.
- tried restarting the router, nothing.
- Reset to factory default the PS5, nothing.
- I even tried putting the PS5 closer to the router (like the FAQ suggests, lol), nothing.
- Took a look at the PSN servers status in my country, everything works fine , green status.

I thought that my PS5 network card must be borked, right ? Well, no, Console connects instantly to my smartphone's hotspot AND my PC's hotspot via Wifi (5GHz).
So, it's not the console's wi-fi chip that's borked since it CAN connect to wireless networks, it's just that it can't connect to my router for some reason - the same router that my XSX had no problems whatsoever connecting to via Wi-fi.

Spent the best of the day on the internet today and...holy shit, this has been going on for 2 years now and still there's no fix ? There are countless topics on reddit, the intrawebs and about another myriad of videos on youtube about this for fuck's sake, good ol' Sony man...

I don't quite get what's at fault here though, it's either an ISP thing or a router one or...both ?
Never have i encountered such a problem before.

Top Bottom