• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 performs between 1080 and 1080ti/2080

longdi

Banned
Guess it is better to start a clean thread.
Leak spread your wings and take flight

From verified insiders.
PS5 probably targeting near 2080 speeds.

Discuss your disappointment, happiness or expectations.

Im on 1080ti. It is pretty good gaming at 1440p.

I have no info on the XSX. PS5 was told "between 1080 and 1080Ti performance". No numbers were given as most devs don't know the specs. Real world performance though is what I was after. That performance simply isn't enough for any real RTX enhancements IMO.

to7y190ctca41.png

Last edited:

renzolama

Surely this will be the generation where new consoles outpace PC performance at launch!

Edit: Also, this will be the generation where manufacturers are able to sell an entire console for half the price of the GPU they claim it to outperform. The entire hardware industry will be in chaos and even the laws of thermodynamics may be in jeopardy.

Last edited:
I hope all the GPU rumors are true because that will mean tons of bottleneck and short cut threads, filled with warriors.

Same, but different, but still the same. Put it in my veins

Blond

Banned
Surely this will be the generation where new consoles outpace PC performance at launch!

Edit: Also, this will be the generation where manufacturers are able to sell an entire console for half the price of the GPU they claim it to outperform. The entire hardware industry will be in chaos and even the laws of thermodynamics may be in jeopardy.

The 360 did lol.

But that was a fluke and wasn't Microsoft eating like 2-300 dollars a console or something like that?

Thanati

for the first month? Sure.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'm confused. Everyone was saying how more powerful the PS5 was compared to Scarlett. Now no one knows anything lol. People need to stop talking about things they know nothing about. Too much misinformation being spread just for a click.

Almost no one said how more powerful ps5 is over nextbox, the narrative has always been ps5 is more powerful buttt thy are close in power.

1080ti is essentially equal to 2080.

It's about 8% faster, but the jump from the 1080 to 2080 is like 31% so this whole conceptualized performance window is super vague and not worth bothering with.

magnumpy

are there any rumors about 3080 performance? other than the code name ampere and the shift from 12nm -> 7nm.

Firstly:
giphy.gif

Secondly, we're supposed to believe a 2080 can push 8k/120fps with ray-tracing enabled?

*checks out until Sony speaks and raw data is available*

ethomaz

Banned
The title says one.
The body says two.

Who believe?

Over RTX 2080 is not between GTX1080 and RTX 2080.

But from the two guys Jason will always be the right one.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I think the biggest difference is games being optimized to run on a single design of a console, that's dedicated primarily to playing games, versus making a game for a multi-purpose and the wildly varying hardware of a PC.
While a PC can run those game much better, they also tend to be much more powerful than a console. Most times, the minimum specs for a PC to run the same game as a console is still higher than what the console has in it. Build a PC with the meager specs of a PS4, for instance, and the PC probably couldn't run its version of the game as well as the PS4 runs the version made for it.

So, in other words, a PC can't make a game that looks better than a console game unless it's MUCH more powerful to begin with.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I think the biggest difference is games being optimized to run on a single design of a console, that's dedicated primarily to playing games, versus making a game for a multi-purpose and the wildly varying hardware of a PC.
While a PC can run those game much better, they also tend to be much more powerful than a console. Most times, the minimum specs for a PC to run the same game as a console is still higher than what the console has in it. Build a PC with the meager specs of a PS4, for instance, and the PC probably couldn't run its version of the game as well as the PS4 runs the version made for it.

O REALLY !!!! ????

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Is this the first generation where we have no credible leaks whatsoever?

With the exception of the PS4, because Sony did a last minute switch, we knew about the xbox one since 2011.

Bkdk

It’s possible they will have multiple models at launch. For Sony’s first party exclusives, graphical power is by far the most important due to them love making linear and atmosphere and cutscene focused games so how beautiful their games look is always their priority.

Reallink

are there any rumors about 3080 performance? other than the code name ampere and the shift from 12nm -> 7nm.

Logically, it will have to be at least a 20%+ gain on the 2080Ti. The node shrink alone will add 50%, never mind architectural improvements. AMD will have a whole range of cards that match and surpass the 2080Ti which they will have to price very competitively to claw back Nvidia's monopolistic marketshare. Nvidia in turn will have to deliver performance at a reasonable price, or risk ceding considerable share to AMD. If Big Navi's and 3XXX's launch around the middle of the year and production rates are good, I expect you will start seeing discounts around the console launches which means PC GPU's that surpass PS5 by 30-50%+ could be streeting for $500-$600.

Last edited:
God please hide this horror of my eyes...

And in reality it gonna be a miracle if the PS5 and XS will have a GPU more powerfull than a GTX 1080(non-ti)...

Xbox Series X beats 2080 Super and matches 2080 Ti. If it truly has a 12 teraflops Navi GPU, likely RDNA 2, it is clearly 2080 Ti class in performance. Know that's shocking, but it's happening.

Last edited:

Ellery

:pie_anguish: wait so the new consoles are not more powerful than the 2500$ RTX Titan with 16 TFLOPs, 300W power usage, and 754mm² chip ? :pie_anguish:

:lollipop_sad_relieved: I was so sure this time they could make the impossible possible

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Dacon

Banned
Xbox Series X beats 2080 Super and matches 2080 Ti. If it truly has a 12 teraflops Navi GPU, likely RDNA 2, it is clearly 2080 Ti class in performance. Know that's shocking, but it's happening.

I love how people say such things with so much confidence.

Reactions: GHG
Hum, i want to believe it but i can't... How much for a console with so much power in it ? a 599-699€/$ console have no chance to sell...

Last edited:

DonF

I game on the PS4 mainly, last gen on x360, I would say I'm a console guy.

I don't expect that amount of raw performance, but the games will look as if where running on equivalent hardware.

Dabaus

Banned
In laymens and dragon ball z power level terms what are we looking at here if a 1080i is the least we can expect from next gen? Whats the gulf of power between an 1080 i and regular 1080?

Edit: Looking at a graphics card chart there does seem to be a pretty wide gulf between a regular 1080 and 1080 i gpu card...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Between 1080ti and 1080 or 2080 are 2 different things...

Am i drunk without even drinking and i saw wrong??

Last edited:

GymWolf

Somewhere between a 96 Honda Civic and 99 Nissan Sentra but more powerful than a Lamborghini Aventador, with the acceleration of an SR-71 Blackbird but no faster than a housecat, and the fuel capacity of a Vespa or, I dunno, an oil tanker. Does that paint a picture?

o9aRpoX.jpg
But how pepe silvia fit in all of this?
Do we have to call CAROOOOOL??

Top Bottom