• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price won't be cheap

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
People showed that they're willing to pay more for a better product with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. I have no problem if it's $500 - $550. It would suck for poor people but hey, a game console is a luxury.

xool

Dunno about how it works in different parts of the world, but I just put it in hand-carry and they don't check jackshit, if they ask - I tell them its for personal use. Maybe its only my country but never had a problem

You aint gonna get the PS5 in a hand carry lol . CHUNKY

joe_zazen

Everyone's definition of "cheap" is comparatively different though.

Keep in mind that the dude telling us this is worth millions of dollars.

He comes from a poor Irish family that lived in the slums of Mumbai. Ryan talks alot about having to eat out of dumpsters until he graduated—expired meat from Walmart goes to dumpster at 4 am apparently. To this day, he cant help taking a peek whenever he passes a dumpster to see if anything good is in there. Although now, he has flunkies to do the rooting.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, early adopting is gonna be rough on the wallet this time.

But I do think we’re looking at a gen as long as the 7th gen.

The value talks make me think it might come with one year of psn+ and they will throw some ps5 games into that subscription (iirc vita had few good games in non rotating psn+ for first few months) for something lik 499$.

johntown

Banned
$599 US, PSV Standard Model
$799 US, PSV Pro Model
extra controller/gamepad: $74.99
External 4TB Hardrive: $199.00
Playstation Plus V Edition: 12 Month subscription $74.99
I can see this and for a few reasons. They have done the $599 before and they seem to be hinting at it again, maybe with COVID and supply shortages they don't expect as many people to buy it and feel the higher price would fit in line with that, the price will be high for maybe the first year for early adopters and then once costs go down they drop the price.

Of course Microsoft will uncut whatever price they announce and unless they have a killer lineup announced this week it will be a repeat of the PS3 era.

I really hope it is lower and could possibly see $550 but with a magic SSD I don't see how that is possible.

Yeah, early adopting is gonna be rough on the wallet this time.

But I do think we’re looking at a gen as long as the 7th gen.

Actually 2020 is pretty much only year where they can get away with high initial price.

If you are one of lucky ones whose work wasn't affected by covid then due to lockdowns around the world you probably spent 2-3 months working from home with not much to spend cash on beyond food. And travel by plane is going to be fucked for next few months at least making any vacations extremely expensive.

So we are in a situation where there is reasonably big population of people sitting on a bunch of unspent cash - and production will be more limited than for normal launch due to logistic problems. Perfect few months long shortages situation.

Orta

Banned
How much are full price console games these days?

I'm guessing another $60-70 on top of either system's rrp?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I'm banking on a future where both Sony and Microsoft will have their own subscription methods allowing me to bypass consoles and enjoy gaming solely on my god mode gaming PC.

Just need Sony to get on board and seeing some of the exclusives make their way to PC gives me hope it's right around the corner.

I will likely always buy a Playstation controller to go with it though, they're the best for me.

GetemMa

At a time when fucking phones sell for $1,000+, its time to step up those console specs! why the hell not 700, 800 or 900? damn things last 7 years

Smaller market for an item that is not considered essential by significant portion of the consumer base. These are basically toys. Phones are considered a requirement to function in society.

About 70% of Americans have $1000 or less liquid cash to their name at any given time and Sony and MS will be aware of that statistic. They want middle income families, kids in highschool and college students to be able to afford these things on hourly, part time jobs. That's how you get to 100 million sold. A $900 console sells a fraction that a $450-500 console does. A smaller install base means fewer games.

Define cheap?

If you can't afford to pay up to £600 for a console, once every ~7 years, then you should look for another hobby.

I guess Sony better get ready for a 20 million LTD PS5, since that other 80% are gonna be looking for another hobby ;)

I honestly see it being the other way round price wise. I think that super fast SSD is gonna hit the cost

Not necessarily the SSD NAND components, either. But rather, all of the fixed-function hardware they're putting in the flash memory controller and I/O block of the system.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't know why anyone would be shocked if these come in at 499.99. These are not the el-cheapo consoles of last generation these actually pack a punch. No more netbook cpu and mechanical storage and a beefy gpu..

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Some 3D chess going on here. This is pure bait.

It's either this, or they are going to release the price on June 4th.

I'm hoping for $499. That SSD has got to be pushing the price up, given that it's supposedly not even available for PC's at this time.

I can only think Xbox will either match or go $50 below what PS5 is doing. The article says $100...I just think that's bonkers. $100 looks desperate. $50 looks like a favor.

Edit:

Ok after posting this I goback to the GAF home page. And there's like 2 threads that debunk claims I've made in my post. So there is a faster SSD available for PCs right now? And June 4th is no longer happening.

I'll just go fuck myself...thanks.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
$499 in Canada is as far as I would go, any more than that I would not buy it day one.

Numenorean

I really don’t understand why, mobile devices like cell phone can keep rising prices year over year, like iPhone where few years ago just past the $1000 barrier and people still keep buying them and gaming consoles with all their advancements and technologies, people still think that $599 is still to pricey.

tltr: why cell phone get a pass on their constant price rising up and consoles doesnt.?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I think PlayStation 5 will be $100 or more than Xbox Series X with their expensive SSD and their cooling solution.
That's absurd. The most expensive parts are GPU and CPU, both of which are stronger in the XSX. There isn't a possibility it's $100 more unless Microsoft seriously undercuts it.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Define cheap?

If you can't afford to pay up to £600 for a console, once every ~7 years, then you should look for another hobby.
Nah. i make pretty damn good money and Im not willing to pay more than $500 for a luxury. I love gaming like anyone else but it just aint that serious.

sendit

Nah. i make pretty damn good money and Im not willing to pay more than $500 for a luxury. I love gaming like anyone else but it just aint that serious.

How much did you pay for your phone?

Given the components in the PS5. I can see $499 being a realistic target. IMO, the $399 target is definitely out of the question.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It's weird. I see a lot more people on this forum being realistic about the price than I'd have expected. It's refreshing, and definitely for the best.

I really don’t understand why, mobile devices like cell phone can keep rising prices year over year, like iPhone where few years ago just past the $1000 barrier and people still keep buying them and gaming consoles with all their advancements and technologies, people still think that $599 is still to pricey.

tltr: why cell phone get a pass on their constant price rising up and consoles doesnt.?
Well I don't know how many people that buy phones buy the $1000 ones.

$1000 phones are targeted to a different kind of consumer.

Phones have multiple uses, consoles don't.

It's not only $599, it's $599 plus games, controllers, etc.

$1000 phones make you seem rich and important.

Also, why so many people want to pay more for consoles? I don't understand, you're making it easy for them.
Let Sony and Microsoft fight each other to get the cheapest price for us. Then we decide with our wallets if that price is fair or not

ACESHIGH

Banned
These machines should be 600 USD if they don't want to bleed money. Cumulative inflation in 7 years is a thing you know. Besides if they have BC right off the bat, gamers can sell their old HW to offset some costs. If I were a console gamer already invested into either ecosystem I would pay 600 USD for a high end machine with BC. Folks can keep the first year of the generation replaying old favourites at higher resolutions and framerates. What us pc gamers do when we upgrade our PCs. In MS case it is quite tempting, as you would have 4 generations of games in one machine. That's a steal.

ZehDon

The more they talk, the higher I'm expecting the price to be. $499.00 is the minimum. If they actually do $599.00 again...

PS5 will be $499. They will have impressive looking console exclusives that will easily justify that price.

Xbox Series X will be priced based on how impressive Halo Infinite is. If Halo is the shit $499. If Halo looks disappointing, Microsoft will undercut on price, probably to $429.

Jigga117

PS5 will be $499. They will have impressive looking console exclusives that will easily justify that price.

Xbox Series X will be priced based on how impressive Halo Infinite is. If Halo is the shit $499. If Halo looks disappointing, Microsoft will undercut on price, probably to $429.

? This makes absolutely no damn sense

carlosrox

Banned
MU2FENL.png

Last edited:

Gravemind

Dont see Sony making the $599 mistake again. I'm pretty confident that it will be $499.

No way its $399. That's fantasy land.

? This makes absolutely no damn sense

Probably could have explained my thinking better. PS5 will be more in demand by early adopters, because of its exclusives and because of current install bases. Microsoft will have to prove that their new system is worth buying, when the same games could be played on existing systems or PC's already. Halo is the big launch game, and it needs to show that the Series X version is amazing compared to the xbox one version. Also has to be a great game anyway. Despite all of this Microsoft can afford to take a loss on the console, while Sony probably can't. This is because Microsoft is a much bigger company with much more disposable capital. Microsoft can make up the money on game pass eventually. Therefore, good chance Series X is cheaper.

dcx4610

Sticking with my prediction of 3 SKUs

$399 - Digital only version
$499 - Base model
$599 - Pro version

Last edited:
Top Bottom