• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Price won't be cheap

Abear21

Banned
So some people think the PS5 will be the same price as the PS4 Pro? Btw consoles have been selling like crazy and will continue to. Try to buy a Pro on Amazon and get your reality check as to what the PS5 price will be. I think Sony can come out at $599 and probably will. The gaming biz is huge and no longer depends on young adults, middle aged adults with disposable income are whi this is aimed at, not teens working for minimum wage.

Xplainin

Banned
I can see $499 for both.
Sony with its lead in the last generation will feel happy to go in even, and MS with the more powerful console will be happy for price parity compared to being $100 more expensive at the start of last gen.
XSX has the more expensive APU, while that extra cost will be matched by the extra cost associated with Sonys SSD.

Rayderism

Anything over $500 and it will NEED to have physical (and digital, I guess) PS1 and PS2 support to go along with the PS4 BC to be practical in my eyes. If it could play PS1, PS2 and PS4 games along with the fancy-shmancy PS5 games, then it would be worth up to $750 to me. Add in (physical AND digital) PS3 BC and that would go up to $1000.

Literally a few days ago there was an article that said Jim Ryan is happy about the how balanced/good the pricing for PS5 will be when it gets announced.

lachesis

As long as they force me to buy bundle.... My realistic guess is 549.99 to 599.99... but the controller and other peripheral would be way overpriced, such as vertical stand or whatnot.

With the possibility that a "standard" next-gen Xbox being unveiled (Lockhart), wouldn't pricing the PS5 at the same price of the Xbox Series X give the perception that it way more expensive than it should be?

Xbox Series X = PS5 Pro (in a few years)
Xbox Series S = PS5

I am not saying that this is how it is, but I can see people seeing it that way.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Only peasants are concerned about price.

Listen, if you're worried about what price point the PS5 arrives at, you shouldn't be buying one.

It's good to be rich.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Good. Give me two premium consoles instead of under powered shite at $399 that is supposed to last me 7 years.

I stick to my guns with this. I think each console is worth 600 bucks easy, but I think they will be priced no higher than 499 (and both will be insane values at that price)

I still say 449 for PS5 and 499 for XsX

But just wanna say that if these consoles cost 600 bucks, or close to it, they are still outstanding values
449? Nope nope nope

redfirm

Banned
my problem has always been That i can easily afford any price, but its no fun if your friends cant buy it and if you have no one to play with. gaming for me is all about being together, so I hope they get this right

Best scenario for everyone would be:
PS5 499
Xbox Series X 399-449

PS5 will sell out either way, but Xbox could really use the bump. In the end competition is good for all parties involved.

Agree, the X can't be more than the PS5, has to be the same or cheaper

cHaOs667

and retailers get nothing and shipping is free ?

Shipping costs for freight has doubled internationally last 3 months...to add to the pain.

550 for ps4, 600 for XSX. lockart comes in at 400 to 450.
My kudos go to your response for shipping costs and retailers.

But I don't think you get the price right - 599 for PS5, 499 or 549 for XSX, 399 for Lockhart. Microsoft is eager to fight Sony in the first months solely on the price. They do not need to make money with the consoles (but with the services attached to it) so I think they will be pretty aggressive when it comes to the price.

geordiemp

My kudos go to your response for shipping costs and retailers.

But I don't think you get the price right - 599 for PS5, 499 or 549 for XSX, 399 for Lockhart. Microsoft is eager to fight Sony in the first months solely on the price. They do not need to make money with the consoles (but with the services attached to it) so I think they will be pretty aggressive when it comes to the price.

MS will fight on price for sure, but with XSX or Lockart ? MS and Sony are not a charity.

All prices will be higher than what everyone thinks, due to :

• RDNA 2 will be more per mm2 than RDNA1 used in those published BOM costs (RDNA2 uses EUV Litho selectively / big costs)
  • RAM and NAND prices are higher
  • Shipping prices for freight are double
  • Retailers want to make money
Its going to get ugly is my prediction, everyone has their own take.

Eliciel

500€ is my absolute border after that I will wait until prices decline or pursue that path only if the trade-in deals with Ps4Pro will be very good.

Brofist

Dont see Sony making the $599 mistake again. I'm pretty confident that it will be $499.

No way its $399. That's fantasy land.

To be fair $599 now isn't the same as when the PS3 came out. Plus people have been brainwashed into thinking $1000+ for a smartphone isn't expensive so they might get away with it.

Jigga117

To be fair $599 now isn't the same as when the PS3 came out. Plus people have been brainwashed into thinking $1000+ for a smartphone isn't expensive so they might get away with it.

majoity of people don’t outright buy a phone at 1000 they buy it as plans to pay it off over two years in their bill. Y’all seem to miss pointing that out

GeorgPrime

Banned

Jeah but i never spent 1000 Dollar on a mobile phone. Iam not going to spend 599 Dollar on a console. I always wait one year until the price drops.

sainraja

Weaker console for the same price as the most powerful one? That would be a disaster.

Sony's just playing mind games with MS. Their strategy of flat-out abandoning the PS4 as far as new titles are concerned points to them wanting to get as many people as quickly as possible on the PS5. I'm guessing it's still $399.

Sony's never abandoned their previous consoles completely even after a new one has come out.

this will be Released before the launch of PS5. He is talking about the time as soon as PS5 launches

History shows that Sony hasn't stopped supporting their previous consoles when a new one launches.

It happens gradually.

The only difference this time is, Microsoft is taking what Sony has done in the past and taking it a step further by ensuring that you can play new content on consoles you have, and old content you can play on consoles you will be getting in the future.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's no telling what the price is, it's typically $500 because SONY sees casual gamers, and is motivated to defeat SONY and Microsoft.

Meanwhile, my country's currency is going so far into the trash that I won't be able to get one even with 2 months full salary combined.

Not sure there is any truth to this, but Forbes is saying Amazon has leaked the price and release date for the PS5. Sighting Nov 20, 2020 as the launch date with a price tag of approximately $550 USD for the disc based version, $450 USD for the digital only based model. Also I wasn't too sure which thread to put this in, so it ended up being here.

Top Bottom