• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Set To Launch Alongside Regular PS5

martino

i wouldn't call that pro (because it's associated to a more powerful hardware with ps4 pro)
i would say premium or first class edition.

Last edited:
I have 2 PS4 standards, I have not upgraded to the PRO but I would have bought the PS4 PROs at launch but I would never upgrade to one.

I believe that many/most people who would be willing to pay a premium for a pro console at launch will also never buy one if it is launched years later.

I don't believe this is true but I was planning on skipping the PS5 this gen but I would reconsider if the pro was release at launch

radewagon

While the idea does seem enticing (I'm a big fan of the pro), it also seems like a big mistake. The Pro and the OneX had a reason to exist. Both those revisions came at a time when 4K televisions were seeing a huge drop in price and gamers wanted their games to take better advantage of their fancy new sets. This is kind of mid-cycle jump in display tech was also why so many wanted a WiiHD. Right now, 8K is on the horizon, but I doubt that a PS5 would be able to take advantage of it since they're still struggling with 4K. So, yeah, a PS5 Pro just doesn't have a need to exist. Yet.

On top of that, it will possibly create a situation where instead of seeing enhanced titles for the Pro models, we'll see downgraded titles for the standard ones. We're already seeing that with XboxOne and PS4. Doing this at the start of the generation will only further hurt the quality of base model software.

All that said, if PS5 Pro is somehow compatible with Physical and Digital versions of PS1, PS2, PS3 and (with included external adapters) PSVita and PSP titles, then I will pay up to 2,000 for it. Just kidding, that's way too much (not kidding, I would legit pay that much... like... in installments or something).

thelastword

Banned
Bad idea if true, mid-gen refresh with a newer gpu is the way to go. Same way they introduced the ps4 pro.
Well it won't be mid gen if true, then for mid gen they can go PS5 PRO2. I doubt they will call a higher specced PS5 which launches along PS5 a PRO though, they might call it something else and leave PRO for the mid-gen…….

I'm not buying into this rumor though, I think PS5 at launch is more than fine with it's customized architecture.......VFX says this is a reality and that his sources are the real deal, so we shall see.....

Top Bottom