• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro with TWO graphics cards

D8lONYZU0AA0cJl.jpg
Is Phil miming a blow job? That's so gay... i love that! I get why Alex is on the XBOX discord after all! 😂🌈

welshrat

If they build it I will buy it :) Loved my Pro as it gave far more consistent framerate on games like BFV for me, Love the PS5 but if there is a Pro in 3 years then its day one for me

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
From the same site
Right now, in 2020, Sony is indeed still in the 5G business, with its latest phones like the Xperia 1 II rocking the next-gen network tech. It is also, very notably, still in the gaming console market, with its PlayStation 5 console the number one product on Earth right now.

Last edited:

rnlval

So, PS5Pro = ~290 mm2, 3 nm?
For hardware backwards compatibility, 6800 XT's 72 active CU is 4X of PS4's 18 active CU.

The main reason for Sony's selection for 36 CU is mostly due to hardware backwards compatibility with PS4's 18 CU.

Shaukdotdj

Between this and the report of them saying Sony is in position to do a handheld, I feel like T3 is just a tabloid site of wishful thinking at this point.

Rayderism

Imagining the PS5 Pro, eh? OK, obviously more power, you guys can argue about that.......

........but then I want DISK support of PS1, PS2, and yes, "no more excuses" disk-based PS3 support, to go along your current PS4 support. Go ahead and sell your extremely limited library of digital downloads of those old games if you want, but let me use my original disks.

Yeah, imagination, it's fun to think of things that will never happen.

Last edited:
Amazing to see people compare a double GPU to the troubled SLI.

Intrinsic communication and latencys are totally different wich means better in consoles.

IF Sony would do a PS5 Pro that way it would function..

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
$699 with disk, $599 without but you can't buy the disk less version as they hardly build any.
($599 just sounds better for ads)
Launch in 2025. The quad version runs at 8k and is $999.

Kokoloko85

Imagining the PS5 Pro, eh? OK, obviously more power, you guys can argue about that.......

........but then I want DISK support of PS1, PS2, and yes, "no more excuses" disk-based PS3 support, to go along your current PS4 support. Go ahead and sell your extremely limited library of digital downloads of those old games if you want, but let me use my original disks.

Id be happy if PS5 has the PS1/PS2 digital library from PS3/PSP/Vita store etc. I dont have many discs left lol. I want to have a digital collection of my favourite PS games on 1 console

TonyK

That would be impressive if it was released today, but when a pro version will be released even the pro will be dated compared with PC in that same moment.

Nico_D

When that's out, scalpers got 'em all and at the same time Sony is suffering from double chip shortage and is unable to satisfy demand and they'll do a redesign with new custom custom chip. The new model will be released next year. Which, again, will...

Maybe I'll just skip this whole Sony generation.

Why. Cross gen with ps4 games are here until well into 2023. Whats the use if ps5 only games let alone ps5 pro upgraded games are about as distant as the next elder scrolls.

ZywyPL

Banned
Amazing to see people compare a double GPU to the troubled SLI.

Well we already saw similar approach in PS4 Pro and the infamous "butterfly" GPU design, with 2 clusters of 18CUs, so in a way two separate GPUs, except unlike SLI on put the same die, but that still does require some extra work from the devs so that the games do use that additional cluster.

And I think this will be indeed the same approach Sony will take next time, whether PS5 Pro or PS6, where they'll use 2x36CUs (either traditional, chiplet or stacked design) to ensure perfect PS4/Pro/PS5 BC. If we're at it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if PS5 already copies PS4 Pro design, which is why both base PS4 and Pro titles work flawlessly.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
but then I want DISK support of PS1, PS2, and yes, "no more excuses" disk-based PS3 support, to go along your current PS4 support. Go ahead and sell your extremely limited library of digital downloads of those old games if you want, but let me use my original disks.
Just not going to happen imo, nothing or not enough in it for them, financially speaking. Microsoft's BC program was a big PR win for them but they put together a couple of teams of people to do it and employed them for years to get it done. Tbh, I'm not sure it would have happened under anyone other than Phil Spencer on any platform but I would say that doesn't seem very on brand for Sony.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
but then I want DISK support of PS1, PS2, and yes, "no more excuses" disk-based PS3 support, to go along your current PS4 support. Go ahead and sell your extremely limited library of digital downloads of those old games if you want, but let me use my original disks.
Just not going to happen imo, nothing or not enough in it for them, financially speaking. Microsoft's BC program was a big PR win for them but they put together a couple of teams of people to do it and employed them for years to get it done. Tbh, I'm not sure it would have happened under anyone other than Phil Spencer on any platform but I would say that doesn't seem very on brand for Sony...
How did I post without seeing this line? sorry!

MrFunSocks

Banned
So what is it, 2 GPUs or 2 APUs? Seems like it’s written by someone that doesn’t know there’s a difference.

Unless the 2 GPUs act as one big GPU without any SLI /Crossfire type issues, this would be completely pointless as no developers are going to develop specifically for 2 GPUs. The PC market has gone almost completely away from dual GPU setups.

Last edited:

Caio

I would simply go with a 72 CUs custom RDNA3 GPU with variable clock (pick at 2.5Ghz), easy with 5nm RDNA3, and release the PRO Model in September 2023.

SpokkX

looking at your avatar I immediately feel you can be trusted

Surely Sony will create a console with TWICE the silicion. Yes, the economics of that will surely make sense!!!

.... are you crazy? This is not how home electronics are build. This "rumor" is so stupid I am frankly bewildered you actually created a topic for this

ZywyPL

Banned
Surely Sony will create a console with TWICE the silicion. Yes, the economics of that will surely make sense!!!

.... are you crazy? This is not how home electronics are build.

Exactly. Who says they would use twice the silicon? First of all you wouldn't see any additional controllers, CPU cores etc, so even just the transistor number wouldn't double. Which again, we're most likely talking about at least 5nm process node in late 2023-24, so chances are that doubling the GPU power would end up with more or less the same overall APU size, just like it was the case with base PS4 vs Pro.

jaysius

Banned
Well we already saw similar approach in PS4 Pro and the infamous "butterfly" GPU design, with 2 clusters of 18CUs, so in a way two separate GPUs, except unlike SLI on put the same die, but that still does require some extra work from the devs so that the games do use that additional cluster.

And I think this will be indeed the same approach Sony will take next time, whether PS5 Pro or PS6, where they'll use 2x36CUs (either traditional, chiplet or stacked design) to ensure perfect PS4/Pro/PS5 BC. If we're at it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if PS5 already copies PS4 Pro design, which is why both base PS4 and Pro titles work flawlessly.
Yup, we all know how that went, One X still had better performance and the PS4 Pro sounded like a fucking jet most times, even times when it didn't make sense for it to. But that's Sony's fault for skimping on aural acoustics, it could have been whisper quiet if they gave a fuck about it.

Top Bottom