• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5, Project Scarlett to hit over 10TFLOPs of power, sources say.

psorcerer

Banned
We don't know official specs yet. At least 4GB (if not more) of RAM will be used by OS, not to mention that all of the memory on consoles is shared. It's basically PC without dedicated RAM and VRAM for different stuff and workloads. On PC both VRAM and RAM is used when you're playing games (including OS). For example, Resident Evil 2 eats up to 9GB of VRAM in native 4K (or close to it) and 6GB of RAM, but if you'll be playing the game in 4K on a GPU which is memory limited, RAM usage can spike up to 10GB in 4K and up to 9GB in 1440p so that's almost 19-20 GB (RAM + VRAM) in total for 1440p / 4K (provided you even have that much, otherwise game assets will be loading from SSD / HDD instead).

You can clearly see that some of the games on base consoles droped screen resolution to 720p in some cases, that's because they are memory limited and memory bandwith along with overall performance (floating-point operations per second) is just not good enough anymore for modern games to work at higher resolution with 30 FPS, even PS4 Pro struggles to achieve optimal and locked 30 FPS in some of the modern games. There's nothing you can do here and on consoles, but on PC you can just upgrade your GPU without even touching RAM or CPU (if it's a high-end one).

1. Having separate physical RAM spaces is a problem and not an advantage.
2. Most of the time assets are duplicated between main ram and vram. Mainly because you don't have any visibility on PC on how much vram is used (from within the game code).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
1. Having separate physical RAM spaces is a problem and not an advantage.
I've 32GB of just RAM on my current rig and I don't have any problems. RAM can also be used for variety of other things and I won't be RAM or VRAM limited ever on PC. When it comes to RAM, I can just go for 64 GB if I so choose, if 11GB of VRAM and 1080Ti won't be enough for what I need, I'll go for a faster GPU with more VRAM. It also doesn't matter if VRAM is faster cuz on consoles you can only have so much of it, you can only have so much performance which you can squeeze from it and you can't do anything to fix its performance and bandwidth problems cuz hardware on consoles always fixed.

2. Most of the time assets are duplicated between main ram and vram.
Which is not changing anything of what I've said above.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Ok...before i go on a serious rant can I just ask the question why everyone thinks that every game has to be at "max settings" to be viable? Do people realize how inefficient and unoptimized "max settings" are for most games? Have people actually compared the difference between "high" and "very high" or "ultra" in most games? The difference is negligible in most cases and sometimes is barely noticeable even in side by side comparison. Yet the performance impact can be huge! You can literally double your performance or more by simply optimizing the visual settings to deliver the best bang for the buck as it the case with console versions. That's why we have 4K 60fps games like Forza 7, Gears 5, Sea of Thieves and other huge 4K 30fps games like Red Dead Redemption, Far Cry 5 etc running on relatively lowly hardware like an Xbox One X.

What really works my nerve is when people make statements like "GPU X is not powerful enough to run Game X at some resolution and frame rate (i.e. 1080p/60 or 4K/60)". That statement is fundamentally irrelevant since it's validity is solely based on the settings used. However, it is almost always inferred that the aforementioned statement applies when using "ultra" or the game's highest setting. But that is a silly statement to make since that same GPU could run perfectly fine at 1080p/60 or 4K/60 by just dialing down some of the settings. So for example saying that the "GTX 1080 ti can't run modern games at 4K/60fps is not true. It may be true at max settings but it can probably run the vast majority of games today perfectly fine at 4K/60fps with some of the settings turned down. Of course, that does not appear to be an option for most people for some reason.

Bottom line: Ultra settings is largely wasteful in today's games and are usually grossly unoptimized. Meaning small visual differences for large performance deltas. A next gen console with a 1080ti level GPU will absolutely be able to run most games at 4K/60 given the fixed nature of consoles and the ability to dial in an optimal graphical setting.

There are a ton of articles and videos on this very issue so just check these out for a refresher and ... STOP COMPARING HARDWARE BASED ON ULTRA SETTINGS!

I don't understand this train of thought. It has no factual basis behind it. The Ultra settings seen in most games are this:

16x anisotropic filtering - who wouldn't want to have a larger filter kernel over the texture so that it doesn't blur out to hell.

Large texture sizes - bigger will always be better here. It will immediately make the game look extremely detailed. 4k is better than 2k. Period.

Volumetric lights - you can get away with just typical colored white squares. Making a fog haze with light scattering throughout the haze look really well.

Shaders - Ultra. This usually the quality of the shaders mainly SSS but also tessellation. This increases triangles so the silouette edges aren't coarse.

HBAO - I agree this is not needed as it's too expensive with very little gain.

4k - this makes everything look better. Period. It changes all the above features so that the image looks cleaner, crisper and sharper. There is literally no comparison going from 1080p to 2160p.

30FPS/60FPS - agreed. I can have just as good of an experience at either one as long as there are no hitches.

TXAA/FXAA - going to 4k, I have no need of these anti-aliasing techniques, so agreed on this. Not needed.

So there you have it. Some of the more important features should not be sacrificed, like 4k and make a world of difference. 16x is significantly better than 4x anisotropic. Volume lighting looks amazing.

pawel86ck

Banned
I don't accept anything. I only trust my sources. This person didn't say 1080Ti. They said between 1080 - 1080Ti. That tells me a little more powerful than a 1080 but less powerful than a 1080Ti. I've also mentioned this several times already so nothing has changed on my end. And my concerns are still warranted. Even a 1080Ti is subpar for the end cycle games that are out today. You simply can not run these games at 4k @ Ultra settings on PC. They will tank the framerate. Trying to implement anything outside of simple reflections using ray-tracing is out of the question.
Really? When I have mentioned in next gen consoles (PS5/xbox4) thread I hope to see 1080ti level of performance in PS5, then you have replied saying my expectations are unrealistic because no one will build 500$ console with Ryzen 2, SDD and with GPU as fast as 1080ti. So you were very clear about that, and I remember you have only expected GTX 1080 level of performance at max.

Now when double digits TF numbers are mentioned you realized it should translate into 1080ti level of performance after all, so now you say 1080ti is nothing in 4K?

At first I thought you must know what you are talking about, because after all someone who build rockets and worked in the VFX industry for years should be reasonable, but I can no longer trust your opinions in regards to next gen consoles when you clearly have an agenda against consoles. You were banned for this reason on resetera forums lately, because you were only downplaying consoles games without even acknowledging solid arguments against your claims.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Really? When I have mentioned in next gen consoles (PS5/xbox4) thread I hope to see 1080ti level of performance in PS5, then you have replied saying my expectations are unrealistic because no one will build 500$ console with Ryzen 2, SDD and with GPU as fast as 1080ti. So you were very clear about that, and I remember you have only expected GTX 1080 level of performance at max.

Now when double digits TF numbers are mentioned you realized it should translate into 1080ti level of performance after all, so now you say 1080ti is nothing in 4K?

At first I thought you must know what you are talking about, because after all someone who build rockets and worked in the VFX industry for years should be reasonable, but I can no longer trust your opinions in regards to next gen consoles when you clearly have an agenda against consoles. You were banned for this reason on resetera forums lately, because you were only downplaying consoles games without even acknowledging solid arguments against your claims.

When I was told "around 1080" performance, I don't technically analyze that. I don't see the two having such a wide gulf. The fact is, I can only go by what I'm told. The devs aren't benchmarking these PS5 dev kits. And even if I gave a hard 1080 performance, it's not that far off. Since noone knows officially what the consoles can do. It's moot to try calling me out when we have no benchmarks.

Just because I state what realistic expectations for hardware is expected to be doesn't mean I should be banned for it. Before the PS4/X1 was even out, I was preaching the same song and people got irritated at it. The same thing happened then. I was right. Mid-gen refresh was required. I was banned on ERA because the mod that banned me doesn't like me. There is no equal treatment on ERA and I was stupid to expect it would be any different than early GAF days. There are console fans that have an agenda and PC fans that have an agenda.. but they are allowed to rag all day long about whatever console/computer they want without any reprocussions. For some reason, mods just don't like me. I can't do anything about that but I don't say anything out of the ordinary that is so bad that it warrants being banned.

pawel86ck

Banned
When I was told "around 1080" performance, I don't technically analyze that. I don't see the two having such a wide gulf.
Yes, 1080ti isn't far off from GTX 1080, so I couldn't understand why you expected GTX 1080, yet at the same tame totally excluded 1080ti level of performance. You have explained to me 1080ti level of performance never gona happen in 500$ console. Of course we still dont know for a fact how fast next gen consoles will be, so maybe your estimation will be correct in the end, but for now we cant exclude anything and that's what you are doing.

When It comes to moderators on resetera, I dont know why they dont like you, but I can see why people in general over resetera constantly argue with you.

Here you have created your own thread with 5 examples of PC games, that shows PS5/XBOX4 level of visuals already, and of course that was your rightful place to do so and especially since you have detailed knowledge in regards to graphics related stuff. However you have just ignored what other people had to say. So your whole thread wasn't even a polite discussion where people share their arguments and formulate their opinion in the end based on presented arguments. Some people wrote detailed posts and have responded with solid arguments, but you didnt wanted to hear what others wanted to say. Instead you started calling people fanboys because you thought their expectations were so unrealistic. Personally as PC enthusiast I can see some truth in what you were trying to say, because I had 1080ti for myself and I know very well how hard it was just to max out PS4/xbox one ports on 1080ti (even 30-65% faster 2080ti cant do that in every game). 4K, maxed out details with tessellation and 60fps on top of that requires many times faster GPU than 1,8TF GPU in PS4. However I doubt next gen console games will waste all GPU power on 60fps and 4K resolution. We will still see upscaling and reconstruction methods, and I bet much faster CPU and SDD will help as well. So these next gen games will easliy blow away games from your list. Of course developers will have to make comprimisses in order to do so (1440-1800p, 30fps). Just compare graphics in uncharted 3 (PS3) to uncharted 4 (PS4), the difference was HUGE and we can expect it will be the same on PS5.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Yeah, "some" games.

On PC, it's never a compromise. Ever since 2001, you can get frame rates as high as 300 fps. I don't remember PS2/Xbox/ or Gamecube ever doing that and the generation that came after that was even worse.

If you want consistently high frame rates, consoles have never had that advantage the moment they shifted towards 3D graphics.

pff, please. Ill give you my house in exchange if you show me a pc of that time able to run Daytona USA, Crysis o Doom 3 at 300fps. And why? There was not even screens capable of such high framerates. Total nonsense.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yes, 1080ti isn't far off from GTX 1080, so I couldn't understand why you expected GTX 1080, yet at the same tame totally excluded 1080ti level of performance. You have explained to me 1080ti level of performance never gona happen in 500$ console. Of course we still dont know for a fact how fast next gen consoles will, and maybe your estimation will be right in the end, but for now we cant exclude anything and that's what you are doing.

When It comes to moderators on resetera, I dont know why they dont like you, but I can see why people in general over resetera constantly argue with you.

Here you have created your own thread with 5 examples of PC games, that shows PS5/XBOX4 level of visuals already, and of course that was your rightful place to do so and especially since you have detailed knowledge in regards to graphics related stuff. However you have just ignored what other people had to say. So your whole thread wasn't even a polite discussion where people share their arguments and formulate their opinion in the end based on presented arguments. Some people wrote detailed posts and have responded with solid arguments, but you didnt wanted to hear what others wanted to say. Instead you started calling people fanboys because you thought their expectations were so unrealistic. Personally as PC enthusiast I can see some truth in what you were trying to say, because I had 1080ti for myself and I know very well how hard it was just to max out PS4/xbox one ports on 1080ti (even 30-65% faster 2080ti cant do that in every game). 4K, maxed out details with tessellation and 60fps on top of that requires many times faster GPU than 1,8TF GPU in PS4. However I doubt next gen console games will waste all GPU power on 60fps and 4K resolution. We will still see upscaling and reconstruction methods, and I bet much faster CPU and SDD will help as well. So developers will be able to build bigger and more detailed worlds at the same, and these next gen games will easliy blow away games from your list. Of course developers will have to make comprimisses in order to do so (1440-1800p, 30fps). Just compare uncharted 3 on PS3 to uncharted 4, the difference is HUGE.

It's not that I didn't want to hear what people had to say but they are all saying the same thing. Even over here it's the same argument. Calling out "fanboys" shouldn't give justification for banning someone - especially if they are, in fact, fanboys. Those guys (and even over here) call others idiots, smoking crack, stupid, etc.. etc.. and none of it is moderated. But if I say something with merit, it's watched intensely by moderators waiting for a chance to ban me to shut me up. It's extremely biased and unjustified.

Anyway, can you send me a PM? It seems like every time I post, I'm being sent to links of my previous posts from one website to another. It derails the current thread and halts the discussion and topic. I spend more time trying to explain myself, my background, my current job, etc.. than just giving out good solid informative posts (even if they aren't what people want to hear).

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
pff, please. Ill give you my house in exchange if you show me a pc of that time able to run Daytona USA, Crysis o Doom 3 at 300fps. And why? There was not even screens capable of such high framerates. Total nonsense.
I'm trying to look for the old thread, but here's one from 2001 that discusses many PC users getting Quake running at over 100fps.
Arstechnica user said:
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:57 am

i was wondering it was possible to assign system ram to quake1. i get anywhere from 150 to 188 fps now and i figure in i can assign 512 megs of ram to quake i can get it up to 200 fps. can anyone help me?

Here's another thread claiming 400fps in 2001.

Arstechnica User said:
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:57 am

Run GLQuake at 400 FPS on a modern computer and then try it on your 20 FPS rig. I guarantee you won't be able to stand your old system. If you've only ever seen 30 FPS all your life of course you're going to think it's smooth if you've never seen anything faster.

Also, just for fun because your last post mentioned Doom 3.

Arstechnica User said:
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:34 pm

Doom 3, Quake 4, HL@ Episode 1, Fear and Battlefield so far ALL work in Quad SLI on Win 2003 server 64 bit

I'm getting over 200fps at 2560x1600 rez on Doom3, HL2 Ep 1, and Q4

I got over 300fps on Painkiller benchmark 1 and 2.

Seems that the quad sli benefits from being mated to multiple cpu's

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I'm trying to look for the old thread, but here's one from 2001 that discusses many PC users getting Quake running at over 100fps.

Here's another thread claiming 400fps in 2001.

Also, just for fun because your last post mentioned Doom 3.

LOL Painkiller at 300fps. LMAO. Good luck man, wont play this war, not today.

MS has never had a more powerful box than Sony launch aligned. If MS launches after PS, that's the only way it can be more powerful, OG XBOX came after PS2 by 1 year and 8 months.........XBONEX came after PRO by 1 year, if XBONEX came out the same time with PRO, Xbonex would be weaker..... Even then, 1 year after PRO and PRO has more tech features, Vega features , a better design and more rops, just not utilized.....

Launch aligned Sony, the hardware company is aces over MS.... In 2013, Sony was ahead of MS by 40%, they didn't need a year extra to accomplish that.....So 2020 is looking the same, if MS wants to have a power advantage later on next gen, they will have to launch another upgraded console after Sony again....
Not this time. The PS5 and Scarlett are going to be insanely similar in terms of specs. The 1 or 2% advantage one will have over the other will see no real world difference. It will only be used for console war fodder and nothing else. Also not sure what reality you are living in if you seriously think the Pro is a better console then the X.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Actually It is already happening...on PSVR games.

And in AAA console games...

Devil May Cry V, Battlefront 2, Forza Horizon 3+4, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Battlefield 4, Gears of War 4+5, Gran Turismo Sport and God of War to name a few all operate, target or offer a 60fps mode on consoles and that’s with those god awful Jaguar CPU’s. There’s going to be a ton of 60fps AAA console games next gen even if it’s an option which lowers others settings to get there.

PC only gamers don't like this of course because one of the main exclusive draws to choosing and investing in PC as a main platform over console is 60fps. The Pro and X already murder most gaming PC's in terms of resolution (most PC gamers play at 1080p or lower) so to lose the fabled 'master race' 60fps advantage aswell as resolution to lowly consoles is causing some legendary meltdowns and downplaying of the next gen consoles and the possible advantages a 600% CPU compute increase, 3x GPU compute increase, 3x of much faster RAM and a move to SSD's could offer.

PC gamers should be looking forward to this because in AAA next gen only third party games it raises the bar from the current 1.6GHz 8 thread CPU's / 1.3tflop GPU / 8GB of DDR3 RAM constraints.

demigod

When I was told "around 1080" performance, I don't technically analyze that. I don't see the two having such a wide gulf. The fact is, I can only go by what I'm told. The devs aren't benchmarking these PS5 dev kits. And even if I gave a hard 1080 performance, it's not that far off. Since noone knows officially what the consoles can do. It's moot to try calling me out when we have no benchmarks.

Just because I state what realistic expectations for hardware is expected to be doesn't mean I should be banned for it. Before the PS4/X1 was even out, I was preaching the same song and people got irritated at it. The same thing happened then. I was right. Mid-gen refresh was required. I was banned on ERA because the mod that banned me doesn't like me. There is no equal treatment on ERA and I was stupid to expect it would be any different than early GAF days. There are console fans that have an agenda and PC fans that have an agenda.. but they are allowed to rag all day long about whatever console/computer they want without any reprocussions. For some reason, mods just don't like me. I can't do anything about that but I don't say anything out of the ordinary that is so bad that it warrants being banned.

Can we please get a Mod of War Mod of War Faust Faust or any mods at all to verify this dude since he keeps going into every thread acting like he's above everyone while claiming he has inside info.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Can we please get a Mod of War Mod of War Faust Faust or any mods at all to verify this dude since he keeps going into every thread acting like he's above everyone while claiming he has inside info.

What the hell dude? I can't even fucking speak without someone begging a mod to ban me! Are you kidding me? Why can't I just be treated like anyone else here. Do you ask everyone on here that makes a claim where they work, who they know, etc.. etc..? Should I NOT have the right to speak in certain threads? Are you taking my freedom of speech now?

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
What the hell dude? I can't even fucking speak without someone begging a mod to ban me! Are you kidding me? Why can't I just be treated like anyone else here. Do you ask everyone on here that makes a claim where they work, who they know, etc.. etc..? Should I NOT have the right to speak in certain threads? Are you taking my freedom of speech now?

Having an opnion or an ego arent bannable offenses else there would be noone here.

Katsura

I don't read it as a call to ban you. I read it as a request to get you verified which i assume is the equivalent of blue checkmarks on twatter. I could be wrong but that's my take on it

demigod

How does someone from 2014 not know how GAF works?

According to user Kleegamefan, who cites a game developer as the source of next-gen console info, both the PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett consoles will hit double-digit TFLOP performance. If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

A lot of the info we already knew about, or suspected. We knew PlayStation 5 will use AMD's new RDNA core architecture in its 8-core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU- and Navi GPU-powered SoC. Some rumors even claim the PS5's devkit sits at 13TFLOPs.
People using percentage above 100 really grind my gears that's not math percentage is below 100 so when u say 138 percent so how do I analyze that data

VFXVeteran

Banned
Having an opnion or an ego arent bannable offenses else there would be noone here.

I got banned from posting in that Xbox/PS5 speculation thread. So yea, my right to speak was stripped from me in that particular thread. Trust me, people get too riled up when I talk for some reason.

Last edited:
Where's #lowballGAF when you need them? :messenger_sunglasses:

This is fact. There is no way around it. Game devs are no longer interested in dumping piles of money on the table for a new iteration of their graphics engine that supports hardware X for gen X. It's a lot of wasted money and R&D time they could use to get a better game with better assets. Even 1st party devs are embracing this paradigm. You basically have PC hardware in the consoles already (i.e. x86 with either AMD or Nvidia chipsets). They are all using either DX, Vulkan or OpenGL as the lower level API to the graphics hardware for their graphics engine. The hardware vendors are responsible for putting out good drivers to support these low level APIs. That's just how things are done now and going forward in the future.
Since when is OpenGL a low-level API? Which console uses OpenGL exactly?

And who told you that hardware vendors (AMD) write drivers for consoles? Have you ever heard about ICE Team? I guess your "buddies" at ND didn't give you the memo.

Justin9mm

This video is from 2 years ago but he built a PC that's actually cheaper than XONEX and mentioned if he lowered the settings more, he could get full 4K & 60fps.

Does he actually show a current game running actual 4K 60 on this? Clutching at straws! Ok, let's choose RDR2 as an example, show me a PC for $500 that can output the exact same performance as X. I bet you won't be able to! I'm not defending consoles saying they are better, they are not superior at all. But for the money, they are hands down better when you compare cost vs performance. Not everyone has a 2080 or even a 1080 sitting in their PC. Majority actually game on lower spec builds but because most games are ports for PC you need better hardware to get better performance.

Justin9mm

There is no point to work out 60fps on console (limited machines) unless for achieving particular gameplay matters. Best is to push image quality as far as possible on the 30fps which is the best balance between image quality results and gameplay. If you rather have 60fps at all conditions buy PC which is what I personally do because I don't like playing at 30fps obviously this costs a lot more but is an acceptable compromise. If you prefer cheap hardware (consoles) you'll get cheap results (checkboard rendering, medium image quality, 30fps). If you prefer best image quality, ultra details at 60fps on high resolutions, you'll get to spend big money for that. It's choice
on the next gen consoles, if you don't think at 30fps its going to be at least True 4K then you are kidding yourself. The current generation X and Pro do what you just said about checkerboard rendering and medium image quality. What would be the point of the next generation if there was no leap in performance from X and Pro? Seriously, I agree with most of what you said but don't make it sound like PC is so far ahead. How did that RDR2 work out for you on PC? A prime example of Optimisation bringing it for the consoles. PC is not always best experience because of optimisation, it's subjective because not everyone has a higher end rig with 1080 or 2080 GPU etc. Stop talking trash.

xPikYx

I posted either myself and another user what an example of next gen should meant to be, not 4k@60fps of the current visual graphic, but a real improvement that justify the next gen leap

molly14

Pc fanboys are going to be eating a lot of crow when the first games on the new Xbox and ps5 are shown.😏

Look at the standard of graphics on the X and pro already,but nope according to the pc fans the next gen consoles will still be way behind the pc.

It never ceases to amaze me why it bothers some of them so much if the consoles will be outperforming their beloved pc,only they know the answer to that.

It's pathetic if you ask me!

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Pc fanboys are going to be eating a lot of crow when the first games on the new Xbox and ps5 are shown.😏

Look at the standard of graphics on the X and pro already,but nope according to the pc fans the next gen consoles will still be way behind the pc.

It never ceases to amaze me why it bothers some of them so much if the consoles will be outperforming their beloved pc,only they know the answer to that.

So why did the 3rd party launch titles on PS4/XBO still have missing visuals compared to the same PC Versions if they "outperformed them"?

Digital Foundry said:
Sadly, both next-gen platforms fall short of toppling the PC's ultra quality shadow setting. The difference is nuanced, and has the gaps in grills and meshes play out in shadow form across walls, as well as other areas filled out with more light-path detail. A filtering cascade on shadows is also noticeable - barely - on PS4 and Xbox One as you travel up sharp inclines such as stairs, but with motion blur in constant effect this is a tricky one to spot in motion.

As far as texture and world detail go, normal mapping on the ground is identical in quality with the PC's maxed-out setting, even on larger areas where you might expect a compromise. However, draw distances for plants and geometry are noticeably better-rounded on PC: appearing in higher density when up close, we see buildings rendered in during cut-scenes that simply don't manifest on next-gen platforms. This is backed up by a more liberal use of particle effects on PC around explosions, and while alpha for fire is comparable up close, flames in the distance suffer from a downgrade in quality on PS4 and Xbox One.

Digital Foundry said:
The core look of the PC game is well preserved on the next-gen systems, then - up to a point - but the PS4's resolution advantage gives it a considerable boost in quality over that of the rougher-looking Xbox One version. However, Infinity Ward hasn't managed to bring over the visual prowess of the flagship PC release without making a few graphical compromises along the way, preventing the next-gen consoles from delivering the same top-spec graphical experience.

Exclusives aren't the only test of power. I never doubted that Sony/MS will make games that push their systems the best, but to say that is proof a console is more powerful than PC is being disingenuous.

3rd party games run on all platforms and thus there is no bias when comparing all 3 systems.

I also posted the example of the first Unreal Engine 4 tech demo and it ran worse on PS4 vs PC. Again, whose fault is that if the hardware was really powerful? I'm just being realistic and would rather temper my expectations.

Last edited:

lekain

Neo Member
10+ local TF with a good chunk of latency insensitive computations on the cloud side, this is my hope for next gen

FranXico

Exclusives aren't the only test of power. I never doubted that Sony/MS will make games that push their systems the best, but to say that is proof a console is more powerful than PC is being disingenuous.

3rd party games run on all platforms and thus there is no bias when comparing all 3 systems.
3rd party games that run on all platforms are never properly optimized and often scaled back to the lowest common denominator to make porting to consoles feasible.
And you want to use those as test of power?
After calling out the use of exclusives as disingenuous?

Last edited:

Stuart360

And those same games will be running on PC's at better framerates and settings. Of couse next gen games are going to look great, because the majority of current PC games are ports of XB1/PS4 games. New consoles means the graphics bar gets raised again, not just for consoles, but for PC's as well.
And yes of course next gen consoles will be behind high end PC's, like every gen. They will barely be midrange in PC terms when they launch. My 'midrange' PC now is considerably more powerrful than the OneX for example.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
3rd party games that run on all platforms are never properly optimized and often scaled back to the lowest common denominator to make porting to consoles feasible.
Who told you that?

Then why didn't the Wii U receive the same versions of PS4/XBO/PC or vice versa? Games are built for PC first, and then ported down.

And yes, I rather use 3rd party games as a benchmark. For example, the differences between PS4 vs XBO could be summed up as 1080p unstable 30fps vs 900p and stable 30fps. Was this not because PS4 had a faster GPU but a slower CPU (compared to XBO)?

z9wp2UK.png

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
As long as there are games I like then I don't care. I could keep going with what I have now honestly. But I am getting a ps5 without a doubt because it will have the exclusives I want to play and run all the cross platform stuff as well as its competition.

I'm done with Microsoft so I don't care about scarlett no matter how powerful it because xbox exclusives are generally mediocre at best and I can most of them on my pc. They think good graphics equals good game or more power means good games

VFXVeteran

Banned
Where's #lowballGAF when you need them? :messenger_sunglasses:

Since when is OpenGL a low-level API? Which console uses OpenGL exactly?

And who told you that hardware vendors (AMD) write drivers for consoles? Have you ever heard about ICE Team? I guess your "buddies" at ND didn't give you the memo.

PM me if you want to argue what I know. Thanks.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Here's a question. Which game do you think will look and run better? Death Stranding on PS4 pro/PS5 or PC version with a 3080Ti? If that exclusive title was designed around optimizing the PS to run better than a PC, then we should see less features and lower FPS when it comes out on PC right? How about a PC version of UC4? If they came out with one next year, which do you think would run better PS5 or PC w/3080Ti? Nvidia is going to directly answer the PS5/Scarlett next year with 3080Ti. Despite costs, a high end PC *could* be more than 3x as powerful as the next-gen consoles.

Romulus

MS has never had a more powerful box than Sony launch aligned. If MS launches after PS, that's the only way it can be more powerful, OG XBOX came after PS2 by 1 year and 8 months.........XBONEX came after PRO by 1 year, if XBONEX came out the same time with PRO, Xbonex would be weaker..... Even then, 1 year after PRO and PRO has more tech features, Vega features , a better design and more rops, just not utilized.....

Launch aligned Sony, the hardware company is aces over MS.... In 2013, Sony was ahead of MS by 40%, they didn't need a year extra to accomplish that.....So 2020 is looking the same, if MS wants to have a power advantage later on next gen, they will have to launch another upgraded console after Sony again....

It was a different time, but I have serious doubts the ps2 would have been on par with the Xbox if they had the same launch date. Xbox launched a year and half later.

And the ps3 wasn't anything special to the 360 despite it being newer. It had less powerful GPU, inferior ram setup, and CPU was overrated. The only thing that saved it was Sony top tier devs and throwing tons of money at it.

Modern Sony though. I agree with you.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Xbox OG > PS2 (Xbox came out later)

360 > PS3 (Xbox even came out a year earlier too and even had old ass DVD format)

PS4 > Xbox One (same launch time)

Xbox One X > PS4 Pro (Xbox came out later)

Xbox is more powerful in 3 of 4 system comparisons. Actually, since the whole Xbox One/X/PS4/Pro are considered the same generation, MS has the better system in each.

Last edited:
Here's a question. Which game do you think will look and run better? Death Stranding on PS4 pro/PS5 or PC version with a 3080Ti? If that exclusive title was designed around optimizing the PS to run better than a PC, then we should see less features and lower FPS when it comes out on PC right? How about a PC version of UC4? If they came out with one next year, which do you think would run better PS5 or PC w/3080Ti? Nvidia is going to directly answer the PS5/Scarlett next year with 3080Ti. Despite costs, a high end PC *could* be more than 3x as powerful as the next-gen consoles.
We'll talk about that later when Death Stranding is out on PC, thank you very much. And we'll see what GPU it'll need to run at PS4 equivalent settings.

Currently which PC game is more technically impressive and beautiful than Death Stranding running on a 1.8 tf GCN GPU ?

Captn

We'll talk about that later when Death Stranding is out on PC, thank you very much. And we'll see what GPU it'll need to run at PS4 equivalent settings.

Currently which PC game is more technically impressive and beautiful than Death Stranding running on a 1.8 tf GCN GPU ?

How about Red Dead Redemption? :messenger_smirking:

Top Bottom