• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5, Project Scarlett to hit over 10TFLOPs of power, sources say.

Kdad

yeah that should be a bare minimum.
We're not talking flair.
flare-720x340.jpg

Bkdk

That’s bare minimum honestly, with 4K 30 FPS become the norm the difference from next and this gen will be pretty small. With that said, a simple rtx3080ti will chew through the whole gen without any difficulties, gonna save me time and money from upgrading PCs. I think I’ll have to look pretty closely for a few seconds to even spot the graphical improvement next gen.

I have a Ryzen 2700x @4.3ghz with 32gb Ram and a 2080ti, and people on Gaf honestly expect the next gen consoles to even come close to it...

I say every single time.

Keep... Your expectations... In... Check.

IMO, Numbers don't even matter on consoles. No idea why people get hung up on them. Good advice for people to keep their expectactions in check, although I would keep your expectations in check of people keeping their expectations in check :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The ps4 was an under-powered POS when it launched, yet it birthed Bloodborne and The Order, two visually stunning games.

As far as i'm concerned, the PS5 can ship with 9 stonks, 4 konks, 1terafizzy, 8 nanjams and 3 shtoinkies. If it improves on the graphics and gameplay of God of War, Death Stranding [Insert visually impressive Xbox One X game] then i'm happy.

LordOfChaos

(the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

Power doesn't only mean GPU Tflops, and even those don't represent end power with IPC improvements.

The CPU will easily be over 4x more powerful on both.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

According to user Kleegamefan, who cites a game developer as the source of next-gen console info, both the PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett consoles will hit double-digit TFLOP performance. If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

A lot of the info we already knew about, or suspected. We knew PlayStation 5 will use AMD's new RDNA core architecture in its 8-core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU- and Navi GPU-powered SoC. Some rumors even claim the PS5's devkit sits at 13TFLOPs.

They did not take into account the TF efficiency of Navi RDNA versus the current consoles GCU with those percentages.

Kdad

Power doesn't only mean GPU Tflops, and even those don't represent end power with IPC improvements.

The CPU will easily be over 4x more powerful on both.

I've heard scuttlebutt that there will be hidden chips that'll be activated by the cloud later. 4x is minimum.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
My source has always told me between 1080 and 1080Ti. In real world calculations, that's not very powerful to me. There are several games that still struggle to hit 60FPS on the 2080Ti. Trying to run a game like Control on a 1080 with some RT cores isn't going to do much to the look. You'd have to drop so many samples to get it to run at 1080p/30FPS. I'm convinced that the consoles' weakest part is the GPU. It's just not powerful enough for another 6 years.

If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

I don't think MS ever once hinted Scarlett would have 24 TFLOPs; the 4x claim was always about other things like the CPU.

Yes, they left a lot of wiggle room for that to be interpreted, but was anyone really assuming they meant GPU performance when they said 4x? I sure hope not.

JLB

Banned
My source has always told me between 1080 and 1080Ti. In real world calculations, that's not very powerful to me. There are several games that still struggle to hit 60FPS on the 2080Ti. Trying to run a game like Control on a 1080 with some RT cores isn't going to do much to the look. You'd have to drop so many samples to get it to run at 1080p/30FPS. I'm convinced that the consoles' weakest part is the GPU. It's just not powerful enough for another 6 years.

Console optimizatios are a thing. Forza 7 is 4k, fully stable 60fps with hdr, and it runs on a 2013 modified mobile cpu.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Thats what i keep saying. I still think there will be SOME next gen games that look just like good games from this gen but at 4k, thats just the price of 4k. Then throw Ray Tracing into the mix, and things dont get any better.

Banned
I don't think MS ever once hinted Scarlett would have 24 TFLOPs; the 4x claim was always about other things like the CPU.

Yes, they left a lot of wiggle room for that to be interpreted, but was anyone really assuming they meant GPU performance when they said 4x? I sure hope not.

also, again, RDNA (newest AMD architecture) has a way better performance to TFLOP ratio than GCN (AMD architecture used in current consoles)

so even a 6TFLOP RDNA GPU would massively outperform zhe GPU in the Xbox One X

if the new consoles have a 10 or even 11 TFLOP RDNA GPU the performance increase will be higher than what the numbers say.

that's not even talking about Memory

Inanilmaz

Thats what i keep saying. I still think there will be SOME next gen games that look just like good games from this gen but at 4k, thats just the price of 4k. Then throw Ray Tracing into the mix, and things dont get any better.
But rdr 2(oneX) is already 4k, so next gen won't look like this gen

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I fully expect 10-12tf, with Xbox edging out the PS5 in raw power, but matching them on price. That’s my prediction. Anything more is utterly bonkers talk, not if you want to actually buy the damn thing with a normal person wage.

I say Xbox slightly more powerful, because I honestly think they won’t take the back seat again on spec. The X is a stupidly good and well made machine compared to the pro, but that doesn’t mean the PS5 will be shit, not by a long shot.

It won’t matter, because sonys first party development are on a whole different level compared to Microsoft’s. Whether that will change now, is another story. I can’t see how MS will fall behind too much.

But just remember, this same thing happens every damn new generation... the first wave of games will barely look any better than what we have now. It takes time for skills to mature.

Last edited:

Stuart360

But rdr 2(oneX) is already 4k, so next gen won't look like this gen
Yeah with talented devs and a $200mil budget. Plus the PC version already runs at higher settings.
Even Cerny himself said you need a 8tf machine just to run PS4 games at 4k, thats PS4 games at PS4 settings, you need 8tf. Which makes sense when even the 6tf OneX cant run every 1.3tf XB1 game at 4k, it does most but not all.
So what kind of TF would you need to run a game much better than PS4 graphics wise, but at 4k?, and then throwing ray tracing into the mix?.
Obviously if next gen machines wetre targeting 1080p, or even 1440p, the difference in graphics between next gen and this gen would be pretty big, but if next gen games are targeting 4k and ray tracing, well the differences are not going to be there imo, outside of first party games, or huge budget multiplatform games.

LostDonkey

That would be ridiculous, considering the fact that the XboxOneX is 6 teraflops already and this is a generational leap.

Its not though really is it. Its like a half gen leap over the X which I have my doubts is even 6 in the 1st place regardless of how they sell it.

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

Yeah with talented devs and a $200mil budget. Plus the PC version already runs at higher settings.
Even Cerny himself said you need a 8tf machine just to run PS4 games at 4k, thats PS4 games at PS4 settings, you need 8tf. Which makes sense when even the 6tf OneX cant run every 1.3tf XB1 game at 4k, it does most but not all.
So what kind of TF would you need to run a game much better than PS4 graphics wise, but at 4k?, and then throwing ray tracing into the mix?.
Obviously if next gen machines wetre targeting 1080p, or even 1440p, the difference in graphics between next gen and this gen would be pretty big, but if next gen games are targeting 4k and ray tracing, well the differences are not going to be there imo, outside of first party games, or huge budget multiplatform games.
I hope we can choose between checkerboard and native 4k. Cause i dont need real 4k in games

Bryank75

Banned
I fully expect 10-12tf, with Xbox edging out the PS5 in raw power, but matching them on price. That’s my prediction. Anything more is utterly bonkers talk, not if you want to actually buy the damn thing with a normal person wage.

I say Xbox slightly more powerful, because I honestly think they won’t take the back seat again on spec. The X is a stupidly good and well made machine compared to the pro, but that doesn’t mean the PS5 will be shit, not by a long shot.

It won’t matter, because sonys first party development are on a whole different level compared to Microsoft’s. Whether that will change now, is another story. I can’t see how MS will fall behind too much.

But just remember, this same thing happens every damn new generation... the first wave of games will barely look any better than what we have now. It takes time for skills to mature.

You must consider, PS4 Pro came a year before the One X and at a hundred euro / dollars less. It still comes pretty close to the X in many games.... sometimes performing better in certain categories.

So, while I don't doubt that Xbox will be competitive, I also can believe that there is some truth to the many rumors around PS5 being more powerful but Scarlett potentially having a better ray tracing implementation.

Latest rumor was that PS5 is currently 21% more powerful but that is second hand info.

1080ti is about 2080 level of performance though. But that's not counting games that will be optimized with VRR and hardware RT. That'll be plenty enough for 3 more years (until the next mid-gen console).

BTW did you just change you tune ? Are you slowly accepting that PS5 could have more than 10tf ? I think it's the first time you talk about PS5 having 1080ti level of performance. :) You always talked only about 1080 before AFAIK.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Its interesting were getting an almost daily drip of ps5 news now. Reminds of last year when we would get nonstrip drips and leaks about how xbox was set to dominate next gen because of the cloud, or buying up AA studios, or gamespass. Then the wired article happned in april and then all of that just...vanished. Strange if you think about it 🧐

Aceofspades

Banned
Get ready, the idiots from the next gen console thread are about to educate you on how the PS5 will totally destroy all computers because of "coding to the metalz!!!!" and "Loading so fast you can fly at Mach 5".

All so they can play their samey third person action games :D.

Whatever though, I am sure the PS5 and XB2 will be great, and I will personally own a ps5. The idiots will eat crow just like last gen and you will be vindicated.

I love when PC people get so damn insecure every beginning of the gen. Consoles can never match PC in power...ever, its just PC high end rigs are criminally underutilized their games barley look better than a 1.8TF console with garbage CPU.

I feel sorry you are tied to console gens to test your hardware, in the time being, you can enjoy shaving seconds of gpu/cpu benchmarks and try cooling your monster rig with watercooled piss.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I love when PC people get so damn insecure every beginning of the gen. Consoles can never match PC in power...ever, its just PC high end rigs are criminally underutilized their games barley look better than a 1.8TF console with garbage CPU.

I feel sorry you are tied to console gens to test your hardware, in the time being, you can enjoy shaving seconds of gpu/cpu benchmarks and try cooling your monster rig with watercooled piss.
LOL, I am not a PC person. I play 70% on Ps4, 20% PC, 10% Switch (approximate of coarse, and subject to change, PS4 might be more like 85-90%).

But by all means, continue making an ass out of yourself with comments like the bold. I like a good laugh.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Not all PC gamers are like that. I love consoles myself. I just cant go back now after going PC full time this gen. Console gamers just go a bit overboard at the start of new gens, beleving all the hype and marketing schpeel (just look at the ridiculous SSD talk the last year or so). A lot of PC gamers are thankful for new console gens because like you said, most game we get are console ports, so PC's need new console gens to get new demanding games.
But make no mistake, everytime new gen games are shown, looking amazing, its simply because PC's are held back by current gen consoles, its nothing to do with power. And as soon as those amazing looking next gen games hit PC, we will be getting double framerates and higher setings, like it is every gen.

diffusionx

Gold Member

The 1080TI is not powerful enough to do 4K/60fps/max on newer games, like SOTR and Control... and the 2080TI can't do it either. This is without RT. And when you throw in RT forget it. This is why Nvidia started pushing DLSS.

To get to where people are talking about, AMD would have to be working on a console GPU which is a pretty big leap over the current high end $1200 PC GPU. Now obviously that price is bloated but even taking that into account I'm not sure how you get this inside a $500 console. It just doesn't add up. And of course if AMD does have a GPU that good, we all know they will introduce it on PC and just blow away the current market. We'll see.

Not all PC gamers are like that. I love consoles myself. I just cant go back now after going PC full time this gen. Console gamers just go a bit overboard at the start of new gens, beleving all the hype and marketing schpeel (just look at the ridiculous SSD talk the last year or so). A lot of PC gamers are thankful for new console gens because like you said, most game we get are console ports, so PC's need new console gens to get new demanding games.
But make no mistake, everytime new gen games are shown, looking amazing, its simply because PC's are held back by current gen consoles, its nothing to do with power. And as soon as those amazing looking next gen games hit PC, we will be getting double framerates and higher setings, like it is every gen.
Games like RDR2, GTA5 or The Witcher 3 are possible at 60fps and max settings on PC only because the consoles exist so it was economically viable to made such ambitious games in the first place.

Consoles are not holding back PC games, it's the other way around. Without consoles, there wouldn't be such ambitious and great looking games on PC.

Stuart360

Games like RDR2, GTA5 or The Witcher 3 are possible at 60fps and max settings on PC only because the consoles exist so it was economically viable to made such ambitious games in the first place.

Consoles are not holding back PC games, it's the other way around. Without consoles, there wouldn't be such ambitious and great looking games on PC.
When people say 'consoles are holding back PC's', they are talking soley about the majority of PC games being console ports, ports that are based on tech numerous levels below a lot of PC's. And that is fact.
I mean it works both ways of course, majority of big PC games are console ports, but because of that it means we can play games at higher settings, resolutions, and framerates. So there is always a sliver lining, and thats whats so good about PC gaming, the freedom and choice.

mrMUR_96

I understand what you're saying and I agree, however with all the supposed power that the next gen will bring I can hope that we'll finally get 60fps on console which is my preferred way of playing games. I simply don't want to buy a PC, maintain it, upgrade it, etc. I much rather have a closed optimised system that plays all the games I like.
But the extra power will mostly go towards better graphics, bigger worlds, better physics etc.

bitbydeath

When people say 'consoles are holding back PC's', they are talking soley about the majority of PC games being console ports, ports that are based on tech numerous levels below a lot of PC's. And that is fact.
I mean it works both ways of course, majority of big PC games are console ports, but because of that it means we can play games at higher settings, resolutions, and framerates. So there is always a sliver lining, and thats whats so good about PC gaming, the freedom and choice.

The flipside is their needs to be a userbase for devs to build games for to make it financially viable. Consoles could therefore be seen as driving the industry forward because they can and do push large jumps with each new iteration.

An example from this gen is memory. Before this gen started most games used between 2-6GB memory at maximum. More commonly on the lower end. This gen drove it to 8GB as the new standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom