• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Review |OT| Only on NeoGaf

Are you SOLD on the PS5?

• Total voters
ps5.jpg

NXGamer NXGamer

DIGITAL FOUNDRY: HERE
This is it. After months of waiting, we're finally in possession of the realisation of Sony's vision for the next generation of console gaming. PlayStation 5 features cutting-edge AMD CPU and graphics technology combined with ultra-fast solid state storage, ground-breaking innovations in the user interface, a revolutionary controller and, of course, 3D audio. The promise is enticing and by and large, the end product delivers. We've only had just over a week with final hardware, but from my perspective, PlayStation 5 is a home run.
The wrap-up: PlayStation 5 is an exceptional console - and the games look terrific

This is in no way a complete technical lowdown on the PlayStation 5. There is still much more to test, from the suitability of various USB media, down to the 120Hz gaming implementation and of course, not forgetting the platform comparisons with Xbox Series X that many of our audience are waiting for (to reiterate: we've still not received any one game we can play on both systems). In the here and now, what I find remarkable is how two next generation consoles built from what are effectively the same AMD technologies (though Microsoft claims extra RDNA 2 features) can deliver such a drastically different first impression.
Xbox Series X presents the notion of latent power yet to be unleashed, and is almost conservative in its presentation - both in terms of its cuboid form factor and its UI, which is to all intents and purposes a smoother, slicker, faster version of the Xbox One interface. PlayStation 5 is an altogether different experience - a Buck Rogers physical design with system software that's fast, immediate, beautifully presented, and almost excessively eager to herald the arrival of a new generation of gaming, to the point where you're even given a pack-in game. Yes, Astro's Playroom fully deserves its Eurogamer Essential award, and strategically, it's a Wii Sports-style play from Sony that showcases a brilliant new controller - and it works.
Meanwhile, it's business as usual on the first-party front: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales may well be a cross-generational title, but it still manages to be a stunning workout for the new hardware that wouldn't look out of place on a high-end PC. Meanwhile, the Demon's Souls remake is not too far away and further first-party goodies are announced and en route. And did we mention just how good the backwards compatibility turned out to be? And that select PS4 Pro games like Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone are already running at 60 frames per second? Microsoft laid down the gauntlet and it's good to see Sony rising to the challenge. Sony may well be wedded to the notion of the console generation, but the PlayStation 4 library has not been left behind.

This is PlayStation 5 - and it's terrific.

Men's Health PS5 Review via Yahoo: Here
Jose92 Jose92
Verdict:
The PS5 is the complete package when it comes to entertainment and gaming. With next-gen graphics, a huge list of fun games to work through, and a wealth of impressive features to improve your experience.
Owning a powerful gaming console like the PlayStation 5 can go some way to dealing with a lot of those issues, helping you stay connected, and giving you something engaging to do with your time away from the usual Netflix binges.
You can download apps like NOW TV, Netflix, and Sky Sports to turn it into an entertainment centre for all your needs.
If you’re a gamer you’ll love playing on the PS5, you’ll not think twice about picking up the new console, it’s a no-brainer.
aka big bulge.

MetroUK: Here
The PlayStation 5 is an impressive console and while many of its features, such as fast loading and the ability to run games at native 4K or 60fps, are replicated by the Xbox Series X the superior games line-up and the new features of the DualSense stand above anything Microsoft is offering so far.

All of which brings us back to the same question we asked at the end of the Xbox Series X review, is the console any good and is it worth getting this year?

On that first point the PlayStation 5 is clearly a very capable machine and generally good value for money – especially the Digital Edition which is £90 cheaper and yet the only difference is no disc drive. In terms of games we’d advise waiting until all the reviews are in, but this seems very likely to be the strongest launch line-up of any PlayStation console (even if that’s not actually a very high bar).

Gamespot: Here

IGN:

GamesRadar:
The PS5 is already doing everything right. By gambling on a complete redesign of its hardware, controller, and key UI features, PlayStation has unlocked the next-generation of gaming. While the improved graphics and framerates are clearly a boon – and something we'll no doubt see evolve over the coming years – it's the improvements to gaming immersion that really define the generational leap. Wave goodbye to loading screens, and say hello to having more insight into your games at the touch of a button. There are quality-of-life improvements aplenty here, all wrapped up in a console that looks and feels like the future - even if not everyone will love the console design itself.

PlayStation's push for a more traditional console launch than Microsoft's approach has also paid off entirely. Having games that you can point at as clear launch titles is of huge benefit to showcasing what PS5 can do. This is just the beginning – and I'm already impressed.

CNET:

EASY ALLIES:

TheSixAxis: Here
The PlayStation 5 makes a phenomenal first impression with the sheer immersion that's possible through the DualSense controller, the compelling Tempest 3D audio engine and the gorgeous new graphical potential of its games, all of which are more connected than ever. There's quirks and a rigidity to some parts of the system software, and it could be a challenge to fit the PS5 into your TV set up, but this is a generational leap that could really make games feel different to play.

DESTRUCTOID: HERE

A few legacy issues aside, Sony is jumping into the next generation pool with both feet.

The DualSense controller is markedly different from the DualShock 4. The PS5's general look and feel is a stark departure. Its UI is entering new territory as well with some interesting features. It has bonafide (good) exclusives and first-party games to peddle day one. But not all of it is perfectly executed.

If you one day have the option to choose between the Xbox Series X and the PS5 and want to feel like "next-gen" is upon you, the PS5 will probably be a better fit as it has several real exclusives and the new DualSense tech. Both consoles have far more positives than negatives and simultaneously look to the future as well as the past.For that reason, it's hard to choose an early "winner." Amid all of this constant competition and innovation, we all win. Cheesy, I know, but we could all use some solace right now.

GAMEINFORMER:

U.S GAMER: HERE

While the exterior makes a broad, powerful statement, the day-to-day use of the PlayStation 5 feels a lot like its predecessor. What you actually gain are 4K and 60fps as clear, consistent benchmarks for many games, drastically-reduced load times, and the new haptic features of the DualSense controller. And while Sony and its third-party partners come to grips with the PS5, you're able to play all your favorite PS4 games, some with impressive graphical improvements. This is a great foundation though, for Sony to repeat the great success the PS4 had this generation.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Wish someone would cover the Twitch integration and functionality, what does the new camera give you and how does it appear on stream?

Kagero

Pretty much what is expected. Surprised some last-gen games are loading faster on the X, but no doubt that's due to the SeriesX being better with BC. Above all else, it will be the controller that's going to define this gen early on. I find this hilarious.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Read some rather surprising takes on the DualSense battery that it only lasts from around 3 to 4 hours on a full charge. These are brand new controllers as well, I can't imagine how short a full charge will last in a year or two after regular battery efficiency drops. I guess a lot of people will play with all the bells and whistles off if it has such a major effect on battery.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I’ve never heard or seen a review for my last consoles starting with PS1 to PS4. So I’m gonna just say I know where my comfort is and I know PS5 is going to entertain me with the best games.

It great to be a gamer in times like this to feel the and play a nextgen console.

Reactions: MrS
Going by the reviews, mad dissapoint about NEW 3D audio tech, not much different if any whats out there in the market currently. Was looking forward to the Headset imaptiently and speedy load times

Game resumes only 1gm at the time with the speed of light SSD+nxt gen processors ? GTFO. I wanna rock my NBA2K21, Spidey, CyberPunk instantly on Q like Series X..you feel me???

And load times by being hella better on XsX, whu happin to SSD domination and undelivered promises?

whitesugar

Banned
Read some rather surprising takes on the DualSense battery that it only lasts from around 3 to 4 hours on a full charge. These are brand new controllers as well, I can't imagine how short a full charge will last in a year or two after regular battery efficiency drops. I guess a lot of people will play with all the bells and whistles off if it has such a major effect on battery.
Its four hours for Astrobot, which is constantly using all its features. The guy who said that also said it was about 7 hours otherwise

whitesugar

Banned
Great reviews overall, only some minor faults like lacking quick resume against it. Otherwise,
+great controller
+runs quietly
+improved UI
+good BC support
+2 (soon to be 3) launch ""exclusives"" scoring 80+ meta
Impressive start

Ribi

I never got these reviews. What are they going to tell you not to buy it? Its a new gen that will bring them clicks with every new game. Of course they'll tell you to buy it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Some of these reviews will rustle jimmies. They're clearly stating an advantage for PS5, in terms of being a more next-gen experience on Day 1, that some aren't going to appreciate.

It's the truth though. We'll see how the Series X comes back for Round 2, and it's quite a delightful multiplat/BC console, but I'm glad they didn't shy away from the point.

That said, I have no preorder for either. Trying my luck at launch with both, and will see which one I end up with. It will be awesome either way.

Some of these reviews will rustle jimmies. They're clearly stating an advantage for PS5, in terms of being a more next-gen experience on Day 1, that some aren't going to appreciate.

It's the truth though. We'll see how the Series X comes back for Round 2, and it's quite a delightful multiplat/BC console, but I'm glad they didn't shy away from the point.

That said, I have no preorder for either. Trying my luck at launch with both, and will see which one I end up with. It will be awesome either way.

Damn girl... tell me it ain't so? Good vibes sent your way... you're gonna need them on the 12th online.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Sweet, in a couple of years when the exclusives have piled up and price had come down it looks like I'll enjoy this console.

Boss Man

Super reasonable take here. I’m loving the new OS for PS5. I’ll get the Series X as soon as I can, but it’s only because I’ve already got a Gamepass sub that I need a way to take advantage of.

This might be the first generation where I feel the need to own both.

Hostile_18

Banned
Sweet, in a couple of years when the exclusives have piled up and price had come down it looks like I'll enjoy this console.

Even If its -$200 less in a few years time, that's 2 year lost time you could of been playing with higher resolution, faster loading and better frame rates. Unless your main is the PC, totally worth going for it now 😉

Fitzchiv

Even If its -$200 less in a few years time, that's 2 year lost time you could of been playing with higher resolution, faster loading and better frame rates. Unless your main is the PC, totally worth going for it now 😉

No my main is (going to be) XSX, where I'll play all the 3rd party stuff and their exclusives when they come. Last gen I started PS4 then added a One X halfway through, just be other way around this time. PS exclusives don't hit the right notes frequently enough with me to go that direction, although the controller really does look cool.

Hostile_18

Banned
No my main is (going to be) XSX, where I'll play all the 3rd party stuff and their exclusives when they come. Last gen I started PS4 then added a One X halfway through, just be other way around this time. PS exclusives don't hit the right notes frequently enough with me to go that direction, although the controller really does look cool.

Fair enough 😊. I'm getting both but the other way round PS5 is my main and the XBSX my Gamepass, retro and exclusive machine.

If the XBSX multi plats are substantially better however then I may re-evaluate my choice 😁.

dano1

A Sheep

Ive also heard Over 10. I’ll find out in 6 days!!

Moogle11

Banned

I didn't get a preorder in either. Was intially planning on just getting a 4K TV this fall and console(s) in spring/summer. But I got a TV I had my eye on (Sony X900H 65") cheaper than I thought and between selling off crap I wasn't using and hoarding Amazon credit card reward points and gift cards I'd been given I ended up getting that with only paying like $70 out of pocket.

I was planning on doing the same and just trying for both and getting whichever first, but now I think I'll just wait and try for PS5 for a bit. There just isn't really much on XSX/Gamepass right now I'm in the mood to play that I haven't already played. I don't mind the lack of next gen exclusives, as I'm fine buying for better versions of cross gen stuff. There's just nothing on that front I'm excited to play until Cyberpunk is out. Vs. wanting to play Miles Morales, Astrobot, Sackboy and Demon's Souls on PS5 at least.

So I'll just try and score a PS5 and if I've stuck out and see an XSX availabe around Cyberpunk's release maybe then I'll grab one.

Top Bottom