• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: Sony Confirms Cross-generation Play

No, it was a good feature particularly because XBOX did not have many compelling games this gen.......Yet reports on XB1 shows few people even play BC on the console.......Sony did a survey too in PS3 days, it's not far off from there either.....And remember, that more people play BC games within the first 6 months of a console cycle...>After that it gets pretty slim to nil...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

The thing about Sony is that they always valued BC, this is the same Sony that put an entire PS2 chipset inside of PS3 and made the console more expensive to produce, the same Sony where you could play all your PS1 games on PS2........Sony could not do BC on PS4, because no matter how many virgins you would sacrifice to the BC gods, a PS4 is not emulating PS3 code.........That's why remasters and streaming was the go to function or people could just have kept their PS3 consoles plugged in.....For reasonable people with a modicum of understanding, that is a good enough reason, but for the disingenuous.........They are pretending that Sony hates BC and could have done it and they just didn't.....The very pioneers of BC is being jeered here, so yes, the irony of it all......

Next gen, BC will be no PS3 to PS4 matter, BC is very easy to implement, it will be done......There is no cell in the way.......Sometimes, I think people just wanted Sony to release a PS3 emulator on PS4 so it would run at 5fps, so they could laugh at Sony and try to score some forum points (damned if you do, damned if you don't)......It's fair to make points within reason, but to obsfucate the truth and not represent the situation as it is, means that you're not being fair and honest, all in the name of console wars......
🤨🤔🤭

ethomaz

Banned
What about PS1 and PS2. In fact RPCS3 runs amazingly well on PS4 given what it is so they really have no excuses.
RPCS3 did not run amazingly well on PC highest config possible...

But hey are really doing a great job.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Yes. That is what BC means. Physical and digital will be playable on the PS5. I am positive the PS5 store will be not unlike the PS4 one already, just with a section for both PS4 and PS5 games in one big ecosystem moving forward.
Ofcourse, it would be, but
1. They never clarified if you bought a game once on PS4 will you have to buy it again from the store or are the PS4 and PS5 versions treated as same game.
2. Say games like Death Stranding. Will it available on both PS4 and PS5 separately physically or will the PS4 version work on PS5.
I hadn't thought about, but this question was raised by Digital Foundry.

FranXico

Ofcourse, it would be, but
1. They never clarified if you bought a game once on PS4 will you have to buy it again from the store or are the PS4 and PS5 versions treated as same game.
2. Say games like Death Stranding. Will it available on both PS4 and PS5 separately physically or will the PS4 version work on PS5.
I hadn't thought about, but this question was raised by Digital Foundry.

1. The PS4 version would be downloadable again in the PS5 (no need to buy it again), but the PS5 version is something that would be bought separately.
Remember: Cross-Buy is a feature that only a few games have.
2. Same applies to Death Stranding, there would be a PS4 version that runs on both consoles, or a superior PS5 version that only runs on the PS5.

You hadn't thought about it because it's common sense...

Last edited:
Here is an irrealistic dream of mine:

That I can pop in PS2-Splinter Cell Double Agent but instead it's the Original Xbox's version!

Jokes aside, I'd like to be able to play Dragon Quest VIII on the PS5

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
1. The PS4 version would be downloadable again in the PS5 (no need to buy it again), but the PS5 version is something that would be bought separately.
Remember: Cross-Buy is a feature that only a few games have.
2. Same applies to Death Stranding, there would be a PS4 version that runs on both consoles, or a superior PS5 version that only runs on the PS5.

You hadn't thought about it because it's common sense...
They only said that PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4, never said anything about cross buy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why wouldn't it be cross generation play and obviously the performance will be a difference.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not sure what your point is? It reads like blah, blah, blah. Sony undervalued BC. Sony recognized its mistake. Rectifying. End of story.

Not really, they were just stuck technologically with the PS3's oddball architecture. PSNow was for years built solely around PS3 software, so its not like they were unaware of the demand.

Going back to PS2 and PS1 the emulation itself is less of an issue than managing rights and qa-ing the software. Which is a major issue because the reality is if you have BC, you need to offer the software for sale (digitally) or else you are just throwing a bone to the gray market. And you can't offer repackaged versions without the IP holders consent, and an assurance that it won't work properly or worse cause system crashes.

This is why carte-blanche PS1-PS3 b/c isn't likely to happen, its a logistical nightmare that doesn't help Sony or third-party software providers. Its possible, but doing it piecemeal the way that its been rolled-out on Xbox One is far more probable. But again, is very reliant on third-party IP holder seeing the value in it.

The way the next Playstation is handling b/c is a very different approach, its not b/c via emulation, its about building hardware systems that simulate the PS4 as closely as possible, making the need to QA and repackage less critical.

Not really, they were just stuck technologically with the PS3's oddball architecture. PSNow was for years built solely around PS3 software, so its not like they were unaware of the demand.

Going back to PS2 and PS1 the emulation itself is less of an issue than managing rights and qa-ing the software. Which is a major issue because the reality is if you have BC, you need to offer the software for sale (digitally) or else you are just throwing a bone to the gray market. And you can't offer repackaged versions without the IP holders consent, and an assurance that it won't work properly or worse cause system crashes.

This is why carte-blanche PS1-PS3 b/c isn't likely to happen, its a logistical nightmare that doesn't help Sony or third-party software providers. Its possible, but doing it piecemeal the way that its been rolled-out on Xbox One is far more probable. But again, is very reliant on third-party IP holder seeing the value in it.

The way the next Playstation is handling b/c is a very different approach, its not b/c via emulation, its about building hardware systems that simulate the PS4 as closely as possible, making the need to QA and repackage less critical.

The issues with PS3->PS4 BC is why Sony downplayed it, certainly.

Didn't we have this for some of the games on PS3 and PS4 ?
Also I'm certain some Vita titles could be played together with people on big consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
Also I'm certain some Vita titles could be played together with people on big consoles.
He is talking about PS4 games on PS5.

Most times you lose the ability to play between the new and old gen.

Last edited:

Some Vita games are playable on PS3 (maybe PS4 but have no direct experience.) As for PS3->PS4, pretty sure no.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Watch it, i have been warned twice already for pointing out the hypocrisy on here.
As for BC, its great news, and how it should be going forward.

I am not sure, I missed the general SonyGAF conspiracy force meeting quite a few times in the past year: I missed both that it was fish Wednesday this week and that we were all always of the common opinion that BC was useless / not needed...

Seriously, I seem to remember tons of posts assuming PS5 would be BC with PS4. In a way though you may be right, SonyWorld seemed to massively value cheaper price for the console than the super great BC support PS3 had day 1 (with tons of games) ;).

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Relevant bits from the article

Talking about backward compatibility for the upcoming next-gen console, the key point for Ryan is that in a network era backward compatibility is “something that’s extremely powerful” as the game community is “somewhat tribal in its nature” and backward compatibility gives them the opportunity to migrate from PS4 to next-gen while still being able to play their older games with their existing friends.

Sony expects backward compatibility to be a “really critical success factor” for its next-gen consoles and thinks it’s “incredibly important.”

Kodera-san added that backward compatibility is positive not simply because you can play old games on the next-gen console, but also because the community can enjoy the games together via cross-generation gameplay.

Wish they would have expanded on this more personally. Will our digital purchases on PSN carry forward to the new console (presumably, yes) or will we need to re-purchase the "upgraded" versions similar to PS2 back-compat on PS4? How about our physical games, can they be inserted into the PS5 and just start playing? Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm personally putting my plans to buy a PS5 on hold indefinitely until these answers are spelled out.

That's smart, seeing as most people on a budget won't be getting a PS5 so soon. Though having BC this time around MAY sway the numbers in their favor. Wonder if they'll pull another $399.99 deal? That would be crazy.

John Day

Sony did BC very well on PS2. Nowadays i think it’s more they invested on technology that made it hard for them to do it. Let’s remember PS3’s Cell. It was complicated.

I just praaaayyyy, they engineer a machin this time that could think forward but backwards too, if you get what i mean.

Klayzer

I am not sure, I missed the general SonyGAF conspiracy force meeting quite a few times in the past year: I missed both that it was fish Wednesday this week and that we were all always of the common opinion that BC was useless / not needed...

Seriously, I seem to remember tons of posts assuming PS5 would be BC with PS4. In a way though you may be right, SonyWorld seemed to massively value cheaper price for the console than the super great BC support PS3 had day 1 (with tons of games) ;).
Conspiracy victim card always. Not needing equals not wanting apparently.

TLZ

Banned
He is right. It is extremely important. People would be upset if they couldn't play their huge digital libraries on PS5.

But I guess my hope at the chance of PS1,2,3 BC for PS5 is basically nearing 0% now.

Man I would pay 100€ extra for PS1,2,3 BC for PS5 :(
Same here.

#Beliebe

TLZ

Banned
I think at this point it is an expectation. But within GAF-verse...

Lmao... Wasn't so long ago we hadn't SonyGAF arguing about how Sony didn't need it. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Pretty clear BC on Xbox was a success.
I thought almost everyone said it was inevitable because same x86 and AMD.

backwards compatibility is always nice, but not always possible. One way to go is that current consoles are pcs, at least concerning hardware; next gen consoles are also pcs (use x86 cpus, the same as any current pc) but faster; that would be the same as running a pc program in a faster computer, so there is no big deal and no voodoo ritual included. It is the same case as wii with wiiu, and with wii and game cube; not the same processors as pcs (powerpc, closer to old macs, or xbox 360). The thing with ps3 and ps4 is that ps3 had a totally different kind of processor (cell, a remote cousin of powerpc), so the binary (the program) is not understood by current processors. So how do you run a thing written for a different processor family? one way would be to emulate, just as we do with nes roms. The thing is that we run the emulator in a processor running at a few ghz, to emulate a simpler machine that used to run at something like 4 mhz, but that is not the case between ps3 and ps4. ps3 is still a powerful cpu, and running at a similar speed than current cpus. the overhead required to run the emulation, plus the processing of the program itself would look a total dissaster. So how did xbox made to run xbob 360 games, if they also had a different kind of cpus in the 360: they recompiled the program. it was not emulated, instead it was converted. it took the original game and converted it to the current generation cpus, giving as output a new program that was saved in the console, taking space in the hard drive. things like save and hardware calls are relatively easy if they are made with system calls; in the converted program it would simply call the new system service used in the new gen console system. you can do it, but there is a catch

The question is whether the ps5 runs games as a ps4 or ps4 pro. It had better be the latter. Day one either way tbh as i just think sony have much better exclusives.

TBiddy

Against themselves.

There is no better way to become better and better than beat themselves again and again.

Sony strongest competition is Sony.

That's... odd, I guess. Sony isn't fighting themselves. They are competing with Microsoft and Nintendo, and since we haven't seen much/anything of what next-gen will be like, it's seems premature to conclude that "Sony wins".

edit: That said, there's no doubt in my mind that PS5 will outsell the Nextbox worldwide.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

That's... odd, I guess. Sony isn't fighting themselves. They are competing with Microsoft and Nintendo, and since we haven't seen much/anything of what next-gen will be like, it's seems premature to conclude that "Sony wins".

edit: That said, there's no doubt in my mind that PS5 will outsell the Nextbox worldwide.
You dont get it, Sony is really competing with Sony, mantain the leader position is in fact harder than to surpass the leader

TBiddy

You dont get it, Sony is really competing with Sony, mantain the leader position is in fact harder than to surpass the leader

No, they are competing with Microsoft and Sony. And no, not really. Sony is an position, where they (more or less) just needs to avoid fucking up, since they have a gigantic advantage when it comes to mindshare on a global scale.

Ozrimandias

No, they are competing with Microsoft and Sony. And no, not really. Sony is an position, where they (more or less) just needs to avoid fucking up, since they have a gigantic advantage when it comes to mindshare on a global scale.

The only thing that Sony needs to do, is improve everything that they've donde before and innovate. A Leader doesnt necesarily needs to look at what the competition are doing, they need to create his own way......as i tell you, the followers tend to imitate the leaders actions and are more focused in order to innovate (because they want that position).

TBiddy

The only thing that Sony needs to do, is improve everything that they've donde before and innovate. A Leader doesnt necesarily needs to look at what the competition are doing, they need to create his own way......as i tell you, the followers tend to imitate the leaders actions and are more focused in order to innovate (because they want that position).

I agree on that. But as I said above - if Sony keeps up their current work, noone will catch them. Also, I'd argue that it's harder for Microsoft to overtake Sony, than it is for Sony to stay on top.

Top Bottom