• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

GHG

Gold Member
SzTbv3v.jpg

Damn, I was actually afraid of these new consoles that I invested in another stick of ram, so I have 32gb total now.
But after seeing these specs for both consoles, it's laughable. I would've been fine with 16gb.

Yeh I'm still going with 32GB with my next upgrade due to the programs I use for work but really these specs aren't anything to write home about from a PC perspective.

Jtibh

Banned
There's nothing positive about Sony's presentation. They presented a weak console that's not a true generational leap. The GPU has only 9.2TF (the whole thing about 10.3TF is a fib), the CPU doesn't have 16 threads, it has less bandwidth, etc. I wish there was one thing about the PS5 that could get me excited but there isn't. The faster SSD doesn't matter because I don't care if a game loads one second faster.
Sad reply.

Except that, you know, the XSX has a faster cpu and faster Ram too. The speed of a console isn’t measured by its hard drive speed.
These comment are exactly what i ment.

Sony likely selling for 100 dollars less, so specs are what you get for that price. It choice now, do you want raw power for extra money?
Check the speeds of the PS5 SSD again. That tech isn't cheap. Like not at all.

The PS5 could very likely drop at the same price of the MS console.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Suprised Sony went with this Präsentation right after the XBX unveil. Should have waited to show of games allongside it.

Psykodad

Banned
well I can't see how Sony forced Microsoft to reveal first, I think Sony mistimed there reveal to be honest. if they would of went first I think they would of been better placed to have a less powerful console and could of talked more about the features such as the quick ssd. by allowing Microsoft to go first as soon as power came out and Sony were less powerful nobody cared about cool features of things like super fast loading

they also haven't revealed if you will need to buy games twice between ps4 and ps5 which is a bit telling where as Microsoft have said on SOME games you will get a free series x patch.

I don't think there will be a series s if am honest, they just need to keep pushing world most powerful console
I don't even think Sony forced MS intentionally, but they needed to start talking more than Sony.

But other than that, I agree.
And the Series S part is an "IF", because it's just a rumor.
All I'm saying is that IF there is a Series S, MS should not introduce it until after the launch-window. Because the moment they do, it's gonna be their worst-case scenario given all circumstances.

If there is no Series S, Sony really needs to nail it with their games though, because MS will start very strong and regain a lot of marketshare.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Show the math.

10.2/12.1 = .84

XsX has 16% more power.

Or alternatively 1.9/10.2 = .18

PS5 has 18% less power.

However you slice it, we're pretty far from 30%. It's a smaller power gap than between the PS4 Pro and the X1X.

You ignore the fact that how many cards can be run at 2.23Ghz and on what thermal solution.

Even 2.0Ghz sounds too high to me, a reasonable guess would be 1.8Ghz being a sweet spot for RDNA2. It will be interesting to see how the actual games run.

From a technical point of view based on the current X1X vs Ps4 Pro case, I would expect a 4K native vs 1080p-1800p variate resolution when RT is enabled for both.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I just bought a 2TB nvme drive. A 3.0 one...not 4.0. That cost me £380. A 4.0 drive is about £440. I don't even think you can buy anything over 2TB right now.

A 4TB sata 3 SSD can cost anywhere between £400-950.

forget about 8TB SSD
Man, that's still gonna fill up so damn fast. I really hope they have a solution to constantly deleting installs and having to reinstall them. Especially when all your DLC and stuff gets wiped with it when you delete it on the PS4. I hope it isn't that way on the PS5. It's gonna be such a hassle to be constantly deleting and reinstalling everything if you wanna go back and play older games.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Yeh I'm still going with 32GB with my next upgrade due to the programs I use for work but really these specs aren't anything to write home about from a PC perspective.

Half of the presentation was about how flash memory will be used in the GPU render and the end result "anything to write home about"?
Strange....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

32GB is the way to go. I've seen games use 10-13GB so 16GB is not enough to last going into next gen. If consoles are only using 16GB then 32GB will last us years.

Already got an 8/16 CPU. Got a fast SSD.

My GPU is 10.1TF but I'll be upgrading to a new GPU. Want that 3080 Ti.

Reactions: GHG

Old Empire.

10 gigs of memory at frequency of 560GB/S is fast. Comparable Sony 10 gigs is 448GB/S.

I wonder what difference does that make for games? If devs only use 10 gigs of GDDR6 that provides Microsoft an advantage.

FranXico

they also haven't revealed if you will need to buy games twice between ps4 and ps5 which is a bit telling where as Microsoft have said on SOME games you will get a free series x patch.
It will play PS4 games, period. No re-buying.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

im not tech person myself, but a buddy of mine claims he is, and says the ps5 might actually be better and more powerful. Can someone let me know if he is right or wrong?

the IO throughput is so much higher than the Xbox that everything is going to load faster on the PS5. The RAM is also clocked higher so assets will load faster on PS5. The GPU runs at a higher frequency so the graphics calculations will be much faster on PS5. And the CPU frequency difference is .3 GHz, which is basically nothing.

To those that think transfer speeds will make a difference. It won't make a substantial difference in real world performance. Look at the samsung 870 ssd vs Samsung 970 nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster than ssd but real world performance there is only loading time decrease of only 1 or two seconds.

Last edited:

Tomeru

again its hard to use pc as an example of power difference because these are custom made console that are designed to just run games, wait till the things are launched and you will see the difference

My point my man :messenger_ok:

We need more info to know whats the deal. This gave the impression that they are not ready yet though, and with the current corona situation, it can't be easy. Or fast. We are going to wait longer than we shouldve.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As oppsoed to what? That game on ps5 being grey and lifeless? I priorities speed over some subjective level of butification.

If I see something earth shattering on xbox because of those tflops, I'll be disappointed provbably, but I can't see it yet.

I need to see more multiplats to know for sure. But going by the ps4p and xonex, Im not gonna lose sleep over it.
People are really emotional.
This is going to be very interesting.
Double the speed vs 20% more power.
Gameplay freedom vs 15 more fps
449$ vs 499$
I wonder what will win.
Those stuffs rely on CPU and RAM not SSDs. XSX has faster CPU and 10GB of its RAM is faster than PS5. Also, both use custom NVMe SSDs, so both will have good load times(not actual gameplay, just the loading of data from hard disk).

Senua

im not tech person myself, but a buddy of mine claims he is, and says the ps5 might actually be better and more powerful. Can someone let me know if he is right or wrong?

the IO throughput is so much higher than the Xbox that everything is going to load faster on the PS5. The RAM is also clocked higher so assets will load faster on PS5. The GPU runs at a higher frequency so the graphics calculations will be much faster on PS5. And the CPU frequency difference is .3 GHz, which is basically nothing.
Your friend is just butthurt, most likely.

To those that think SSD speeds will make a difference. It won't make a substantial difference in real world performance. Look at the samsung 870 ssd vs Samsung 970 nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster than ssd but real world performance there is only loading time increase of only 1 or two seconds.

did you watch the presentation. like at all? there were like 5+ minutes on this part alone.

Last edited:

What are you even talking about ? Seriously how can somebody logically reply to such a post ?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
My point my man :messenger_ok:

We need more info to know whats the deal. This gave the impression that they are not ready yet though, and with the current corona situation, it can't be easy. Or fast. We are going to wait longer than we shouldve.
no games have been shown as of yet and Sonys first party will look great as will Microsofts first party but when it comes to multiples the series x will shine

octiny

Banned
Going to be interesting to see the DF comparisons game by game, I bet the difference won’t be as big as some people think it will be .

It should definitely be interesting. Although I expect a wider gap once we start taking sustained/locked performance (vs "up to 10.2") into consideration w/ longer play sessions & fluctuation of ambient temps.

Edit: Nevertheless, DF is salivating at all possible content they can do

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Check the speeds of the PS5 SSD again. That tech isn't cheap. Like not at all.

The PS5 could very likely drop at the same price of the MS console.

I don't think, they can, do that. They'll eat the cost and its custom, so they likely got the SDD cheap. or made in house?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
did you watch the presentation. like at all? there were like 5+ minutes on this part alone.

Seriously. The whole point of this thing is that it's not the same as conventional SSDs as we see them in PCs. I'm not sure if it will pan out, but that Spiderman demo and the stuff they talked about today would be complete game changers.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I was impressed by the XsX SSD speed but PS5 is double.

Not really expecting any "secret sauce" from the SSD alone but it'll be interesting to see how devs leverage it.

Say goodbye to texture popping, if nothing else! :messenger_beaming:

You ignore the fact that how many cards can be run at 2.23Ghz and on what thermal solution.

Even 2.0Ghz sounds too high to me, a reasonable guess would be 1.8Ghz being a sweet spot for RDNA2. It will be interesting to see how the actual games run.

From a technical point of view based on the current X1X vs Ps4 Pro case, I would expect a 4K native vs 1080p-1800p variate resolution when RT is enabled for both.
I'm not ignoring anything, I'm merely pointing out the numbers.

Claiming a 30% difference requires speculation and assumptions. Be my guest.

Sacred

Sony: 36CU @ 2.23GHz
MS: 52CU @ 1.825 GHz

There's your difference and why TFlops don't paint the full picture.

That is boosted at best case scenario, unboosted is around 2Ghz, so not that much of a difference for a machine with that many less CU's.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
To those that think SSD speeds will make a difference. It won't make a substantial difference in real world performance. Look at the samsung 870 ssd vs Samsung 970 nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster than ssd but real world performance there is only loading time decrease of only 1 or two seconds.

In general I would agree. I'm sure Sony's solution is faster, but I need to see the receipts. I'm guessing we'll see marginal differences for just about everything.

Most people probably not going to see the difference between a XSX and PS5 game unless u put it side by side. For most people everything will just look good. Higher resolutions and stabler framerates can also come from developers, having a bit extra power means you can worry about optimizing slightly less. Someone used an extreme example of 1 vs 2 seconds load times but it can be 4 vs 8 or 10 vs 20. Users are impatient and if it's games where they keep dying or need to fast travel a lot, they can get overly frustrated with load time. Then there's the times when you aren't in a loading screen, when you are streaming data, when you are going super fast in some video game city, and your console is able to pull in a significant amount of data very fast and the game is able to dynamically show you more things around the city at full details right away giving a better more immersive experience. When your character turns around and you can load it completely different assets. Loading ~9GB of new data within a second or ~5.5GB/s in a split second can allow developers to dynamically change what shows up on your screen without any visual hiccups. Also, in general the more negligible you can make the loading times, the more time game developers can spend on the main game instead of working on obscure in-game loading screens (e.g. elevators). Then there's all the benefits at the system level that may make the PS5 a slightly better user experience for download/installs/patching. A bit more raw theoretical performance is great and all, but developers probably aren't itcing for that extra bit of compute; and reducing the latency and effectively further blurring the line between memory and long-term persistent storage would give the developers more power in what they want to do creatively opposed to achieving arbitrary technical measurements like resolution, resolution, or process extra details that most people wouldn't notice. The one X has 2 extra tereflops than a PS4 Pro. Is it a night and day difference? No. They both look really good but the Xbox One X looks better but again most people probably wouldn't notice unless you put it side by side.

I got completely roasted when I said I couldn’t see the difference between PS4 and OG Xbox version of Battlefield back in the day PS4 users clearly saw the difference and I was an idiot that needed glasses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not sure what's so "secret" about it.
It was perfectly explained.

My point is that regardless of how well it's explained the level of impact it will have remains to be seen.

We have these things that are talked up from a technical perspective every generation but then when it comes down to it they make little difference and the performance available on the PC continues to streak ahead.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah, but the point still stands. In practical, REAL WORLD applications, the difference between the two is like blinking a few extra times. When it comes to actual differences in gameplay, it's next to nothing. PC gamers have been praising SSD's for a long time, I have 3 SSD's and 2 NVME's in my PC and I love them, but even my NVME's, that are faster, don't make a significant difference in any application that uses it. People that want to hold Sony's implementation of the tech as some sort of badge of honor are grasping at straws for reasons as to why their favorite piece of plastic could be better than someone else's piece of plastic.

Armorian

Banned
In general I would agree. I'm sure Sony's solution is faster, but I need to see the receipts. I'm guessing we'll see marginal differences for just about everything.

Yeah diffrences between PS4 HDD storage and PS5 SSD storage will be HUGE. Differences between XSX SSD and PS5 SSD will be minimal.

psorcerer

Banned
My point is that regardless of how well it's explained the level of impact it will have remains to be seen.

I do see how they will impact 1st party games.

make little difference and the performance available on the PC continues to streak ahead

Again, as I've said multiplatforms will look better on XSeX (and on PC with newer than 2080Ti GPUs)
And?

Last edited:

Skyr

Man lets be real for a second here. Both consoles are amazing for what you get for the price.

Even it's 500-600$ it's great power for the price. With ampere likely being pushed to next year now you get a device that is very close to a high end PC for the fraction of the cost.

If I would be on a budged or not already own a powerfull PC, I would be psyched to get such a powerfull device for that price. Everyone should just be happy.

Top Bottom