• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

LostDonkey

Weird because the article says this:

"But up until now at least, the focus has been on the GPU, where Microsoft has delivered 12 teraflops of compute performance via 3328 shaders allocated to 52 compute units (from 56 in total on silicon, four disabled to increase production yield) running at a sustained, locked 1825MHz. Once again, Microsoft stresses the point that frequencies are consistent on all machines, in all environments. There are no boost clocks with Xbox Series X"

longdi

Banned
Looks like Github almost had it, everyone that mocked it needs to wear that badge of shame.

github got it totally right.
this is clearly sony forced to overclocked the shit to go over 10tflops.
this is the reason why MS clearly spoke about constant speeds yesterday.

Sony is going to lose a lot of core gamers.
This is their Xbox1 moment.
I hate to say this, but Phil smashed Sony to bits this round.

The warning was there on Xbox1x. Sony failed to be courageous to go beyond $399
This explains their quietness, the mass departures.

Im having a meltdown now.

The clock speed are utterly bonkers, 2230MHz? What the actual fuck :messenger_open_mouth:

bagdad-bob.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn this is slightly disappointing, at least is RDNA2 and double digits (not 8-9TF). . 16GB RAM though.. gross! Im glad i took a break, i'd be so mad rn lmao.
CrustyBritches CrustyBritches I guess we both lost...:messenger_expressionless:

Is the new xbox power level any higher?
My brother! Good to see you again! I was right about the 36CU, but I didn't think it would go over the 10TF mark. This is with boost, but yes, let's call it wash and just enjoy the next-gen systems. Man, we all missed you. :messenger_heart:

Skyr

If I wouldn't be mainly on PC and was pressed to choose from the two after what we know so far, I would go with the X for sure.
But as PC is my primary platform I'll get the PS5 for the exclusives.

Oh and the Ram Bus, ouch. So an overclocked gpu (that I doubt will ever reach 10 TF), a slower cpu and a shitty ram bus. Wow.......

Synless

Not happy about this news. Not happy at all. He can say whatever the fuck he wants, its significantly weaker console in terms of Flops. I'll guarentee it is weaker in other areas as well. Dissapointed and likely getting that xbox this gen.

GHG

Gold Member
M.2 drive has to be at least 5.5gb/s to upgrade

Yep which is why I've been saying proprietary is dumb for the last couple of days. The bandwidth is available for widely available NVMe drives, there's absolutely no reason to not allow people to expand the storage using a drive from a list that are "approved" to be compatible.

Come on, the Xbox is better overall but it's nothing huge. Plus we don't know about potential price differences yet.

However always back real data (Oberon), not silly forum fanboys.

CAB_Life

I mean, I’ve already migrated mostly to Xbox on account of Gamepass, so I guess I’ll stay there next gen. Figured Sony would want to win on price though (and you can see that on my last minute prediction thread). So here we are. Maybe I’ll pick up a PS5 Pro when it inevitability launches.

And yes, I can surely live without Sony exclusives as I mostly lay multi platform GAAS games. That and all but GoW have failed to make any impact on me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sorry guys, I am literally in tears here.. haha..
The whole build up to this presentation, and Cerny talks about SSDs.

He was definityle the right guy for presenting the PS4, but he is definitely the wrong person to present the PS5, it seems..

What a train wreck...
LOL.

Sony, go home, you are drunk...
Bu bu but GDC isn't about excitement or games or stuff

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Litlle dissapointed but still its powerfull enough to put some incredible looking games with Sony studios. i hope they price it right but damn this place is gonna be mad

dolabla

Sony will always have the exclusive games which is the most important aspect, but damn if they didn't screw this thing up. Maybe they have something else in in the wings? Remember there was a rumor of launching 2 different models.

Xyphie

Github leak is 100% on point again to the surprise of no sane person.

I think this is going to be a very loud system or the GPU clocks will only be for short bursts. These clocks are around 200-300 MHz higher than any other GPU AMD ships out of the box.

GAF member DemonCleaner did a great frequency/voltage power scaling for Navi 10 (and thus TSMC 7nm node) back a year ago.

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png

Around 2x GPU power for those 400 MHz for like 10% performance is not a great trade-off for a console box IMO.

Top Bottom