• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

CJY

Banned
The point that needs to be understood is that the XSX GPU @1.8GHz can be SUSTAINED. So claiming 12.2TF is truthful and can be expected realistically in games.

That 2.23GHz boost Sony is claiming is a borderline lie because there is no way it can hit that clock speed for anything more than a brief instant. The PS5 is just not a 10.2TF console.

In fact the claim of 2.23GHz at all is extremely disingenuous. It's bordering on lie territory.
It sounds like you might think PS5 boost is similar to how a PC CPU has boost clocks. Not so. From the Eurogamer Article:

It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. There, peak performance is tied directly to thermal headroom, so in higher temperature environments, gaming frame-rates can be lower - sometimes a lot lower. This is entirely at odds with expectations from a console, where we expect all machines to deliver the exact same performance. To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be.

So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

Except there is not 100 dollar bom difference thanks Sonys cooling and uber expensive SSD. I would not be shocked if they had the same bom. MS cut costs on SSD and cooling. That dramless ssd will be so much cheaper than Sonys.

Well PS5 BOM is said to be at $450. $399 is not far-fetched with Sony taking a loss and gaining it back through PSN and PS Plus.

jakinov

I'm still kind of shocked, in a bad way, by the size of the SSD. I was fully prepared for a power differential, but less than 1 TB and upgrade options still being developed is extremely concerning. If they are able to get games downloaded and ready to play (fully) in a couple to few minutes then no problem. But right now I'm wondering if the installed SSD will even hold 6 games. I imagine they will be getting bigger, and some of the space is probably taken up by OS.
Game file sizes could be reduced, at least for some games. Like what they did with blu-ray, for some PS4 games data would be duplicated in order to deal with slow harddrive speeds. Cerny said like for Spiderman that same assets would be duplicated upto 400x.

Xbox Series X and Xbox Platform -
Jump from playing your games on console, PC, mobile and can even stream from your console.
Xbox Game Pass.
Two (2) More Teraflops.
Higher CPU clock speeds.
Sustained CPU and GPU speeds.
Higher memory bandwidth.

If you had to purchase just one console, or buy one console first, the answer is extremely easy; the Xbox Series X!
giphy.gif

The rx5700 can sustainably overclock to that speed without throttling and this is newer architecture that may be designed for high clocks.

You are wrong. Even a LIQUID COOLED 5700XT is only about 2070mhz.

This hardware reveal is........actually game, set and match for PS5 this gen (I might make a thread).

36 CUs = cheaper BOM. Exclusive games. Who is going to buy Series X at $500 with no exclusives during a world recession?

Sony hasn't abandoned the near 4 million gamers in China/India/other. Worldwide dominance coming again.

Fly at me fanboys 🥳🥳🥳

I've made a thread where we can discuss this civilly as I really think MS have been outmaneuvoured again

Ascend

It sounds like you might think PS5 boost is similar to how a PC CPU has boost clocks. Not so. From the Eurogamer Article:
"Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

That actually sounds exactly like what modern day Ryzen CPUs do with their precision boost overdrive.

Blond

Banned
Judging by the bad rationalizations like this one that permeate this thread, a lot of people care MADLY about it.

I'm still buying a PS5 regardless but I can't stop laughing honestly

I'm really hoping it ends up less powerful myself just so I can see all the REEEEEEEE

I'm still buying a PS5 day one regardless, but I think there's something hilarious that as much as specs are nice and all my Xbox 1 X is still mostly used as a 4k player and Gears machine. Specs aren't the end all be all if there's no games to play you're interested in.

^^^^

Said it last night and I still hold by it. Even if the PS5 ended up being more powerful or on par I wouldn't have cared, but the hurt here is priceless.

GymWolf

This hardware reveal is........actually game, set and match for PS5 this gen (I might make a thread).

36 CUs = cheaper BOM. Exclusive games. Who is going to buy Series X at $500 with no exclusives during a world recession?

Sony hasn't abandoned the near 4 million gamers in China/India/other. Worldwide dominance coming again.

Fly at me fanboys 🥳🥳🥳
the only thing that is gonna fly towards you are flies and just because your post is full of shit 😆
:lollipop_blowing_kiss:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Is it fair to compare the regular version of the ps5 to the pro version of the Xbox series?

Is there any price info on either console?

MilkyJoe

I know how hardware works.

If one SSD loads it into RAM twice as quickly, then you'd need twice as much RAM to compensate durr durr see I can pretend like my knowledge of PC hardware matters too :messenger_dizzy:

Well say both playing the same game, both playing the same level and the level has 5gb of assets.

The ps5 takes one second to load said game

The Xbox SX takes 2 seconds.

After that mind numbingly extra loading time, the Xbox has 30% advantage to play with once those 2 seconds are up and the SSDs work is done

(simplistic for explaining)

MilkyJoe

Fly at me fanboys 🥳🥳🥳

Can this be pinned to the start of every thread for the rest of the year, just for the giggles?

I'm sorry but there's nothing in what you quoted that disputes what I've said.

There is no way that the GPU in the PS5 will operate at 2.23GHz for anything longer than a brief instant at a time.

psorcerer

Banned
Well say both playing the same game, both playing the same level and the level has 5gb of assets.

Nope.
Level has 2.5Gb of assets for Xbox and 5Gb of assets for PS5.
Because next second both need to load another chunk of 2.5 and 5 respectively.
If, IF the level can fit entirely into RAM then there is indeed no difference (apart from initial load).
But the whole point for it to have games that don't fit into RAM entirely.

Last edited:

n0razi

I guess for me as someone who has already invested heavily into PSN+Steam.... the XS1 would have to be an order of magnitude more powerful (like 2-3x) or have like 5+ crazy amazing exclusives for me to even consider

You are wrong. Even a LIQUID COOLED 5700XT is only about 2070mhz.

RX 5700 XT Overclocked to 2.2 GHz With Just 15% More Power

(...)You might be thinking the 5700 XT is under liquid cooling because it has to be, or it would thermal throttle, but this overclock didn't really push the 5700 XT very hard. This ~10% overclock only required ~15% more power, which is a far cry from the massive power draw required to push previous Vega-based GPUs (even including the Radeon VII that's based on the same 7nm process). For an overclock of this caliber, you hardly need a liquid cooler, just a decent aftermarket air cooler.(...)

edit: to clarify it is not sustained overclock but obtained boost, sustained overclock slightly lower.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

After that mind numbingly extra loading time, the Xbox has 30% advantage to play with once those 2 seconds are up and the SSDs work is done

Simplistic and inaccurate.

Cerny explained that the speed of the drive would be leveraged during gameplay, referencing the asset-loading that takes place when a player rotates their camera. This would also apply to XsX and I would hope they are leveraging that beast of an SSD to load assets just like the PS5.

What was once a bottleneck is now a gigantic -- albeit sluggish in comparison to modern RAM -- RAMdrive.

If you have any evidence that it'll only be used for loading assets at the beginning of a "level" (lol what is this, Super Mario Bros versus Sonic?) I'm open to seeing it.

But otherwise, this is gonna be a great boon: reducing "loading doors" and long hallways used to mask loading times, eliminating texture pop-in, dramatically extending draw distances, dramatically increasing the speed at which a player can move across the map without overtaking the "loading fog", and so forth.

CJY

Banned
I'm sorry but there's nothing in what you quoted that disputes what I've said.

There is no way that the GPU in the PS5 will operate at 2.23GHz for anything longer than a brief instant at a time.
Depends entirely on the workload. Actually, everything that was said in what I quoted disputes whet you wrote and there is constant power being delivered to the CPU/GPU, it's just the frequency is variable based on workload. It's not boost in the traditional sense whatsoever.

Basically, that GPU should be able to pin it's clock speed at 2.23GHz at all times. That's exactly what is being said in the article.

hyperbertha

Sony will always have the exclusive games which is the most important aspect, but damn if they didn't screw this thing up. Maybe they have something else in in the wings? Remember there was a rumor of launching 2 different models.
MS is investing deeply into its own first party titles next gen. Its not gonna be like last time. They are gonna give Sony a run for their money.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Fixed what? This was few months back. A lot of GAFfers were sure that PS5 had a better solution.
Sony studios still have the better talent and the difference between 10 and 12 Tflops is similar to the X and the Pro

CJY

Banned
"Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

That actually sounds exactly like what modern day Ryzen CPUs do with their precision boost overdrive.
I'm not super familiar with PBO, but normal precision boost is basing it's boosting on thermal headroom and literal temperature sensors. PS5 doesn't do this whatsoever, and it determines it's clocks based on workloads. As Cerny said, it's a different paradigm, meaning it may just be a different way of looking at the same thing, but to me it's vastly different: one method bases it's power delivery based on temperature, the other bases it's clocks on workload.

Edit: Ah, I'm readinmg about PBO now. Seems it's completely different than normal Precision Boost and does indeed sound more similar to what PS5 does.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I mean, their first parties will still make cgi-looking games, but what happens when you have to run Grand Theft Auto VI or any other large scale game with 4k graphics?
Good luck with that laptop cpu, my brother.
What laptop CPU? It looks like full fledged Zen. I'm no expert though...

To those that think transfer speeds will make a difference. It won't make a substantial difference in real world performance. Look at the samsung 870 ssd vs Samsung 970 nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster than ssd but real world performance there is only loading time decrease of only 1 or two seconds.

LOL See this is the kind of shit I’m talking about. PS5’s is so fast, you can’t try to compare with conventIona drives anymore. This is borderline FUD.

The xbox might not be just half as fast, it could be slower. The ps5 not only has custom ssd controller, but the equivalent of 10+ ryzen cores of custom i/o h/w on the apu to remove other bottlenecks. Unless the xbox has similar custom I/O h/w the difference in ssd speed could be much greater due to other bottlenecks not being removed.
PS5 variable CPU/GPU performance will be a pain in the ass - you basically need to code for worst case scenario.
It is deterministic based on workload. He mentioned for example 256bit instructions on the cpu being intensive and could adversely affect frequency if used too much. But it seems to depend on h/w features being used, not on the actual temperature.

Gamerguy84

Wish it had more grunt NGL. Really didnt expect the gap to be that big but it is what it is. I assumed MS was gonna take the power crown.

Still buying it day 1 because sony WWS always produces top notch games. I pretty much end up buying most of their exclusives. Really hoping the price is $399.

dolabla

MS is investing deeply into its own first party titles next gen. Its not gonna be like last time. They are gonna give Sony a run for their money.

I really hope so. Will be awesome to see them step their game up with having the most powerful console on the market. I know the Series X will definitely be my multiplat machine.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
So this means that MS will lose a lot on XBX hardware, while Sony can keep the price low and they won't even lose money on it. Nice. Oh and XBX will be fn loud :DD. Or it will have a 5 kg heatsink :p.

Plus later on, when the devs learnt how to make games for PS5, the ultra version can some at higher prices. Nicely done.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

The xbox might not be just half as fast, it could be slower. The ps5 not only has custom ssd controller, but the equivalent of 10+ ryzen cores of custom i/o h/w on the apu to remove other bottlenecks. Unless the xbox has similar custom I/O h/w the difference in ssd speed could be much greater due to other bottlenecks not being removed.

It is deterministic based on workload. He mentioned for example 256bit instructions on the cpu being intensive and could adversely affect frequency if used too much. But it seems to depend on h/w features being used, not on the actual temperature.
Once those assets are loaded into RAM the SX outperforms the PS5 at ever level👍🏻

Top Bottom