• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

Journey

Banned
So two TFlops difference is a Generational leap?

Ok.......

Definitely not a generational leap, but 2TF is more power than an entire PS4, and that's the difference when the PS5 is in boost mode, so the real world difference is likely a full 3TF which is almost a PS4 Pro, let's not also forget the 448GB/s memory bandwidth vs 560GB/s for XSX, that will have an impact on higher resolutions.

Xash

Neo Member
So according to some people, noone plays switch because the hardware is just crap compared to PS4 and others. Makes sense...

hyperbertha

I just hope we get a PS5 Pro at launch, because this was awful! Microsoft have produced something that is powerful and won't overheat.
Entirely pointless. The lowest common denominator is what matters. I mean nobody cares if a few people get to play the same games with slightly more pixels.

Mista

Banned
How noticeable was it for PS4 Pro and Xbox one X? Games on both systems looked good, the difference wasn't night and day. The differences were noticeable when compared side by side but if I gave people a screenshot and asked what console it was from, people would have a hard time telling. Nobody would say which one looks bad.
As an owner of both it was noticeable to me. Speaking of graphics and performance of course

Nobody can compare from a screenshot not even the experts by the way

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Sony studios still have the better talent and the difference between 10 and 12 Tflops is similar to the X and the Pro
Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, Project Mara and Flight Simulator look more impressive. Seriously 343i, Coalition, Ninja Theory, Initiative and Playground Games will make better looking games than Sony first party, you never know.

I was mean.
I was rude.
I was hateful.
I was an idiot.
I was dumb.

The simple truth is that everything I thought about the PS5 was wrong.

I imagined a true generational leap in TFLOPS. FALSE!

I imagined a true 16 thread CPU. FALSE!

I imagined at least 24GB of RAM. FALSE!

I imagined at least some improvement to the ordinary raytracing used by RDNA. FALSE!

I imagined at least a 1 TB SSD. FALSE!

Every dream I had was based on my idiocy. As far as I'm concerned, no one should ever believe a word I say again.

Tomeru

If anything, with that beast of a ssd in the ps5, its going to be the premier hardware for speed running.

Mista

Banned
Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, Project Mara and Flight Simulator look more impressive. Seriously 343i, Coalition, Ninja Theory, Initiative and Playground Games will make better looking games than Sony first party, you never know.
Still early for all that. They need to built a reputation first just like how Sony first party studios did

Especially talking about the new acquisitions

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So this means that MS will lose a lot on XBX hardware, while Sony can keep the price low and they won't even lose money on it. Nice. Oh and XBX will be fn loud :DD. Or it will have a 5 kg heatsink :p.

Plus later on, when the devs learnt how to make games for PS5, the ultra version can some at higher prices. Nicely done.
Phheewwww..Good, glad we consumers can make sure that Sony stay's out of the red. HAHAHAH Stoopid MSFT, losing money on consoles to stay competitive and therefore adding more value for money. Eat turds Xnots!

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I was mean.
I was rude.
I was hateful.
I was an idiot.
I was dumb.

The simple truth is that everything I thought about the PS5 was wrong.

I imagined a true generational leap in TFLOPS. FALSE!

I imagined a true 16 thread CPU. FALSE!

I imagined at least 24GB of RAM. FALSE!

I imagined at least some improvement to the ordinary raytracing used by RDNA. FALSE!

I imagined at least a 1 TB SSD. FALSE!

Every dream I had was based on my idiocy. As far as I'm concerned, no one should ever believe a word I say again.
Its still a massive upgrade from the Pro so this alone is enough

You lot really need to chill. The console will still run games phenomenally

CJY

Banned
Judging by the bad rationalizations like this one that permeate this thread, a lot of people care MADLY about it.
I'm interested in PS5 not simply as a mode of comparison to the xboxsx, but in an effort to understand what Sony are doing. As I've said before... Sony's messaging, marketing and comms has been shit so far in regards to PS5.

I care a lot about tech. Understanding it is part of my interest, but pure tech specs has never driven me to buy a games console and it's no different now.

jakinov

Definitely not a generational leap, but 2TF is more power than an entire PS4, and that's the difference when the PS5 is in boost mode, so the real world difference is likely a full 3TF which is almost a PS4 Pro, let's not also forget the 448GB/s memory bandwidth vs 560GB/s for XSX, that will have an impact on higher resolutions.
I mean is that extra 100 square midget dots in that one inch of screen 6-20 feet away from you going to be a deal breaker or really noticeable to a lot of people? Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference unless they play the games side by side. Exclusives can focus on better user experience and creating my dynamic and immersive experiences isntead of how they can make shadows and lighting look slightly better.

It throttles based on power consumption rather than ambient temperature, so it should be more deterministic.

It doesn't work that way. Wish it did, then you could just feed PC GPUs more and more power and the clocks could just keep increasing. But it doesn't work that way.

@2.23GHz it will nearly instantly hit a THERMAL limit and throttle down. It won't matter how much electricity is available.

Last edited:

Ornoku

So this means that MS will lose a lot on XBX hardware, while Sony can keep the price low and they won't even lose money on it. Nice. Oh and XBX will be fn loud :DD. Or it will have a 5 kg heatsink :p.

Plus later on, when the devs learnt how to make games for PS5, the ultra version can some at higher prices. Nicely done.
Both consoles will be losing money on launch and in the future, they most likely cost a very similar amount to make. The XSX is silent from what all the hands on videos have said.

Renozokii

Sony studios still have the better talent and the difference between 10 and 12 Tflops is similar to the X and the Pro
Bloodborne ain't getting a sequel and that's what really kickstarted the PS4 exclusive roll. Ghosts of Tsushima is going to be a port and to my knowledge Sucker Punch doesn't have a second studio to release a second game any time soon. The Show is no longer exclusive. TLOU 2 is also going to be a port. So to be honest what does Sony really have coming soon or for launch that's going to be worth getting the console day one for? A bunch of ports? What studios are realistically going to be putting out must have games for the PS5 on day one? Smartest game plan seems to be get the Series X to play multiplats and whatever MS has coming on launch. Get a PS5 once its dropped a hundred bucks and have a backlog of exclusives to play through.

Esppiral

Having very fast access to your RAM is great but there's diminishing returns in practice. It's fast enough that when you add more you stop getting the same level of effective benefit. It's great but it's not the biggest bottleneck. The strategy of most high performance computing applications today is about either having so much memory you don't have to ever deal with slower persistent storage or using super fast persistent storage.

PS5 games probably aren't going to look better (the difference is probably not going to be noticeable by most people unless it's side by side) but developer in theory can probably do more interesting things and provide an overall better user experience for both developers and gamers. The PS5 can theoretically replace 60-70% of what's in RAM in a second which is very cool.

Think of how Horizon Zero Dawn changes things when you turn the camera except on steroids:

Think of vastly different and dynamic cities with completely different building and people, objects and densities "instantaneously" being loaded in. Being able to "instantaneously" teleport from the snowy mountain region to a fire region, real-time in-game cutscenes that are flask backs feature drastically different maps, etc.

What Horizon ZD does is a technique as old as 3D games starting from the original playstation, I can't understand why people gets so thrilled about it....

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Phheewwww..Good, glad we consumers can make sure that Sony stay's out of the red. HAHAHAH Stoopid MSFT, losing money on consoles to stay competitive and therefore adding more value for money. Eat turds Xnots!
More value for money... Like you could discern 300 mph and 320mph ;D. Oh don't kid yourself.

FireFly

It doesn't work that way. Wish it did, then you could just feed PC GPUs more and more power and the clocks could just keep increasing. But it doesn't work that way.

@2.23GHz it will nearly instantly hit a THERMAL limit and throttle down.
Cerny specifically said that the GPU wouldn't throttle based on the ambient temperature because it would be unacceptable to have a different experience for each user. So they must be designing a solution that can dissipate that amount of heat even in the worst cases. I imagine it would have to be something more heavy duty than what we see in the PC space.

Journey

Banned
I mean is that extra 100 square midget dots in that one inch of screen 6-20 feet away from you going to be a deal breaker or really noticeable to a lot of people? Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference unless they play the games side by side. Exclusives can focus on better user experience and creating my dynamic and immersive experiences isntead of how they can make shadows and lighting look slightly better.

I mean is this 2013 in reverse? People were saying this when comparing Xbox One games to PS4, but the difference was there, in both performance and resolution. Let's wait for the DF comparisons and go from there before jumping to conclusions. BC doesn't sound great either, I'm very disappointed about that, was expecting 100% BC for PS4 at least.

Caio

So, XSX has 12.155 TF and PS5 10.28, 20% more... Mark Cerny talked about having higher frequency is better than lower frequency and more CUs (same TF), in many areas. But also we have these 10.28 TF peak performance with variable frequency....anyway, yep, XSX is more powerful; we'll see the price of the two machine, I'm curious.

jakinov

What Horizon ZD does is a technique as old as 3D games starting from the original playstation, I can't understand why people gets so thrilled about it....
I was not that thrilled about it when I first saw it but i know it was highly shared and It was a good visualization to make my point. Mark Cerny used a similiar animated diagaram to show this except it was a 2D line-art version earlier today.

sdrawkcab

Banned
The xbox one x had 40% more Tflops than ps4 pro. The series X only has 20% more Tflops than ps5, but ps5 might push 20% above its weight in other gpu areas due to higher clocks.

This isn't happening. The Series X beats the PS5 in every other aspect, save for SSD data transfer speeds. The higher clocks of GPU and CPU are the boosted clock speeds. Sony hasn't even said what the base clock speeds are, which typically range from 200-300Mhz below the boosted speed.

Some of you are in denial! "Oh nooo, not my precious Playstation!" Yeah...your precious Playstation.

Maybe you'll have something to actually praise and be prideful about when the PS5 Pro drops, because this clearly ain't it.

I'm interested in PS5 not simply as a mode of comparison to the xboxsx, but in an effort to understand what Sony are doing. As I've said before... Sony's messaging, marketing and comms has been shit so far in regards to PS5.

I care a lot about tech. Understanding it is part of my interest, but pure tech specs has never driven me to buy a games console and it's no different now.

Agreed and I'm not going to pretend I'm tech savvy enough to understand what these numbers mean exactly. I do understand about communication and yeah, Sony has done an absolutely atrocious job thus far. Everything they got right with the PS4 they're fumbling with the PS5.

jakinov

As an owner of both it was noticeable to me. Speaking of graphics and performance of course

Nobody can compare from a screenshot not even the experts by the way
I bet for most people though if you showed them a video and asked does this look like a Xbox one X game or PS4 pro people wouldn't be able to tell.

Cerny specifically said that the GPU wouldn't throttle based on the ambient temperature because it would be unacceptable to have a different experience for each user. So they must be designing a solution that can dissipate that amount of heat even in the worst cases. I imagine it would have to be something more heavy duty than what we see in the PC space.

ALL computer hardware (CPU or GPU) can and will throttle based on temperature.

There is no chance that the cooling solution in the PS5 is more heavy duty than what we see in the PC space. Are you expecting a water cooled PS5? Even then you STILL wouldn't be able to sustain a 2.23GHz GPU.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I mean is this 2013 in reverse? People were saying this when comparing Xbox One games to PS4, but the difference was there, in both performance and resolution. Let's wait for the DF comparisons and go from there before jumping to conclusions. BC doesn't sound great either, I'm very disappointed about that, was expecting 100% BC for PS4 at least.
Xbox One had 8 GB of DDR3 RAM with a memory bandwidth of 68.3 GB/s
PS4 had 8 GB of GDDR5 memory with a max bandwidth of 176 GB/s

There isn't a single "gap" in power between PS5 vs XsX that compares, whether we're comparing tflops or SSD speeds or RAM bus speeds or whatever. At the end of the day, the games will prove the hardware, not the other way around.

Agree with you on the BC. I'm not making a purchase until it's included or until PS VR2 comes out (assuming it's worthwhile)

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Xbox Series X and Xbox Platform -
Jump from playing your games on console, PC, mobile and can even stream from your console.
Xbox Game Pass.
Two (2) More Teraflops.
Higher CPU clock speeds.
Sustained CPU and GPU speeds.
Higher memory bandwidth.

If you had to purchase just one console, or buy one console first, the answer is extremely easy; the Xbox Series X!
What for, there are no games for XBX.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah sure, get a life.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom