• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

hyperbertha

This is the huge sticking point for me.

Looking at the spec sheets you would think the Xbox is the one better equipped for VR but yet they have 0 support and no plans to have any.

The only way the SSD speeds can offset that for VR is if they lean hard on foveated rendering (they would need eye tracking) and push developers in that direction.
I don't understand why people expect either company to take VR seriously. Most people playing it experience severe motion sickness, and until that is somehow dealt with, AAA level VR games aren't going to happen. Even Half Life Alyx, the most impressive VR game to date looks simplistic from a design standpoint, and most people will have to play it with teleport controls.

jakinov

I mean is this 2013 in reverse? People were saying this when comparing Xbox One games to PS4, but the difference was there, in both performance and resolution. Let's wait for the DF comparisons and go from there before jumping to conclusions. BC doesn't sound great either, I'm very disappointed about that, was expecting 100% BC for PS4 at least.
The Xbox One has bottlenecks and designs problems on top of being less performant. Xbox One games looked worse but most people weren't going to notice that difference when they go out and play. There's also diminishing returns in graphics improvements. There's diminishing returns in resolution and frame rate too. The difference between 2k vs 4k is going to be a lot more neglibile between 900P and 1080P.

Mista

Banned
What for, there are no games for XBX.
tenor.gif

FireFly

ALL computer hardware (CPU or GPU) can and will throttle based on temperature.

There is no chance that the cooling solution in the PS5 is more heavy duty than what we see in the PC space. Are you expecting a water cooled PS5? Even then you STILL wouldn't be able to sustain a 2.23GHz GPU.
Well, then it comes down to whether you believe Sony or not, since these are their words:

"According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be. "

"So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

martino

Whales (for all third party games) and part of the audiance that will go where you play third party best is lost for sony today (at least for the part of the gen if there is mid refresh)
what is interesting this time and was difficult to evualate with previous launch is how much does that represent.

Last edited:
The Xbox One has bottlenecks and designs problems on top of being less performant. Xbox One games looked worse but most people weren't going to notice that difference when they go out and play. There's also diminishing returns in graphics improvements. There's diminishing returns in resolution and frame rate too. The difference between 2k vs 4k is going to be a lot more neglibile between 900P and 1080P.
My 2013 flashbacks are giving me ptsd

Interesting trade-offs. Sony definitely went for batshit fast SSD, but slower memory, less SSD capacity, less GPU than XSX. Frankly I think overall, XSX is the superior hardware, but PS5 will have the better first party lineup.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Anigif? Out of words? oh jeeeesus
You are clearly upset at this news and are trying AND failing to troll anyone that say's the PS5 isn't where it should be. I don't have much else to say to ya other than to laugh at how cute you are in your vigilant defense of a company you don't work for.

Journey

Banned

Diminishing returns were some of the excuses that were used when comparing Xbox One vs PS4, yet these differences seemed to matter for gamers anyway. Also when it comes to applying Raytracing, being that RT is at its infancy, there may be less of a diminishing returns factor when it comes to games using RT if XSX can use more of it while PS5 has to disable it entirely, or be more frugal about it.

martino

You are clearly upset at this news and are trying AND failing to troll anyone that say's the PS5 isn't where it should be. I don't have much else to say to ya other than to laugh at how cute you are in your vigilant defense of a company you don't work for.
you don't known that.
Maybe he's just being corporate.

A.Romero

To those that think transfer speeds will make a difference. It won't make a substantial difference in real world performance. Look at the samsung 870 ssd vs Samsung 970 nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster than ssd but real world performance there is only loading time decrease of only 1 or two seconds.

This also has to do with the fact that games are not specifically made to take advantage of that tech. I think Cerny went deep into this.

Obviously XB will be more powerful and faster. Maybe more expensive.

I already game on PC so I'm OK with consoles not being as fast as what is currently possible. However, I think Microsoft is bringing a strong offering to the table. I might end up getting both if there are attractive games being released for Xbox.

Sacred

So this means that MS will lose a lot on XBX hardware, while Sony can keep the price low and they won't even lose money on it. Nice. Oh and XBX will be fn loud :DD. Or it will have a 5 kg heatsink :p.

Plus later on, when the devs learnt how to make games for PS5, the ultra version can some at higher prices. Nicely done.

They've already showed the internals and with the Vapor cooled heatsink, it will as quiet as the Xbox One X..

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
I'm not, as I'm a realist. These spec wars are totally out of control. Like any of this matters. People hyping up themselves on a bunch of numbers and crowning this or that, based on what? Literally like sect members.

Well, then it comes down to whether you believe Sony or not, since these are their words:

"According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be. "

"So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

There's nothing to not believe in your quote.

It says right there that the power budget is tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. This is normal.

And what Cerny is describing is not some different paradigm. He literally just described how every PC GPU operates. PC GPU's don't operate at a constant frequency. The frequency varies based on the workload and thermal limits.

Last edited:
Basically Sony over-engineered the SSD to ensure much faster I/O speed compared to XSX. I feel XSX is a much more balanced piece of hardware in terms of CPU/GPU/SSD. I feel like PS5 will sound like a jet engine, while XSX will be whisper quiet. Add to that I think this generation will be a reverse where XBox is consistently higher res/framerate across all the multi-plats for the foreseeable future.

Business

1.8 teraflops is the same difference between the OneX and the PS4Pro, somebody correct me if these numbers are wrong. Now these things have double the teraflops of the current generation premium consoles so divide the difference by half. Half the difference you see today shouldn't be a big difference by any means.

Spokker

I was honestly worried that the two consoles would be so similar that no one would fight over them. Today I am very happy to be proven wrong.

Looks like we got a console war on our hands, boys. Godspeed.

In honesty, everyone should be happy there's no lepper console next gen. There's usually a 'winner' and a 'loser' but really, we're all winners. It looks like a Good leap all around tbh.

Yeah I feel this time around, we'll get some actual good competition because Microsoft didn't face-plant at the start. Sony is alive today because of the Mattrick face-plant in 2013. Phil Spencer is no Mattrick, he's probably the best gaming executive in the world right now.

Ascend

Sounds like PR nonsense to me. It is ultimately based on temperature. The difference is that putting a temperature sensor would be expensive. It's cheaper to simply test the capability of the cooler, and create a table of what temperatures are reached at which loads, and limit the hardware based on that. It eliminates the need for real-time temperature measurements.

The whole "new paradigm" stuff sounds like PR nonsense. I'm reminded of "4D graphics" eerily often today...

Batiman

Banned
Just seeing this now. Jeez....

Months and months of ppl dismissing GitHub leaks and talk for this? There’s not enough crows in the world to be served.

Still getting it

Flintty

Yeah I feel this time around, we'll get some actual good competition because Microsoft didn't face-plant at the start. Sony is alive today because of the Mattrick face-plant in 2013. Phil Spencer is no Mattrick, he's probably the best gaming executive in the world right now.
Exactly. And anyone hoping Xbox would be out of the game is someone who wants to accept mediocrity in the long run, which almost certainly would be the result of no competition for Sony. These things work in cycles. PS6 will likely be an animal.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Bloodborne ain't getting a sequel and that's what really kickstarted the PS4 exclusive roll. Ghosts of Tsushima is going to be a port and to my knowledge Sucker Punch doesn't have a second studio to release a second game any time soon. The Show is no longer exclusive. TLOU 2 is also going to be a port. So to be honest what does Sony really have coming soon or for launch that's going to be worth getting the console day one for? A bunch of ports? What studios are realistically going to be putting out must have games for the PS5 on day one? Smartest game plan seems to be get the Series X to play multiplats and whatever MS has coming on launch. Get a PS5 once its dropped a hundred bucks and have a backlog of exclusives to play through.
They don't need all their games to come at launch. Anyone who games on PlayStation knows the great games will come

Also the XSX won't have exclusives for the 1st few years

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm not, as I'm a realist. These spec wars are totally out of control. Like any of this matters. People hyping up themselves on a bunch of numbers and crowning this or that, based on what? Literally like sect members.

Ahh. A realist. So someone who can look at things as they are in life.

What for, there are no games for XBX.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

jakinov

Diminishing returns were some of the excuses that were used when comparing Xbox One vs PS4, yet these differences seemed to matter for gamers anyway. Also when it comes to applying Raytracing, being that RT is at its infancy, there may be less of a diminishing returns factor when it comes to games using RT if XSX can use more of it while PS5 has to disable it entirely, or be more frugal about it.
The returns are even lower not because the idea is the farther you go the less you get. It's why people think 8k is dumb because the amount of benefit you are getting in squeezing more midget dots in an inch of screen is tiny. To the people that pay attention, having the consoles with the better visual fidelity sure it "matters". But I don't think the vast majority of PS4 owners bought it because the games look a bit better. At the end of the day both consoles look good. PS4 just looked better. People probably bought PS4 because of many difference combination of reasons such as it was $100 cheaper, the general sentiment was that it was better from most gaming sites and communities, being more popular out of the gate means friends end up buying what their friends already bought, fully exclusives games (first party and third party), console exclusive games, exclusive deals (DLC), VR, brand loyalty (Japan, sold 100m consoles since console #1), and continuous momentum. Xbox didn't have that much going for it and there's no evidence the small power benefit was the major factor for most owners. The 360 didn't sell well for having great graphics, the message was always that PS3 was super powerful, but the 360 had a lot of exclusives (often timed), a head start and a bunch of other benefits that made it sell super well.

Exactly. And anyone hoping Xbox would be out of the game is someone who wants to accept mediocrity in the long run, which almost certainly would be the result of no competition for Sony. These things work in cycles. PS6 will likely be an animal.

Dude, 3 years from now we'll get a mid-gen refresh of both consoles and XBox Next & PS6 are 7-8 years away, why even talk about it? What will be really interesting is 2022/2023 when Microsoft starts dropping 1st party AAA titles like crazy. Until then, Sony still will rule the roost. Of course MS may surprise in late 2020 & 2021, we'll see.

Flintty

Dude, 3 years from now we'll get a mid-gen refresh of both consoles and XBox Next & PS6 are 7-8 years away, why even talk about it? What will be really interesting is 2022/2023 when Microsoft starts dropping 1st party AAA titles like crazy. Until then, Sony still will rule the roost. Of course MS may surprise in late 2020 & 2021, we'll see.
It's not like I wanted to start a convo about PS6. I was just pointing out the cyclical nature of power in the console space ✌

hyperbertha

I mean is that extra 100 square midget dots in that one inch of screen 6-20 feet away from you going to be a deal breaker or really noticeable to a lot of people? Most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference unless they play the games side by side. Exclusives can focus on better user experience and creating my dynamic and immersive experiences isntead of how they can make shadows and lighting look slightly better.
Its sad that you think hardware only influences pixels in game development.

Renozokii

They don't need all their games to come at launch. Anyone who games on PlayStation knows the great games will come

Also the XSX won't have exclusives for the 1st few years
So that's literally the point of my post. There's not going to be to many killer games day one, and all the good stuff will come later. However, there will be plenty of dope third party games, as well as a new Halo on xbox. On top of that you will be getting a console that should be playing any and all third party games better, as well as full backwards compatibility with all xbox games. What good exclusives there are for PS5, you'll be able to pick up in 3 or 4 years for 30-40 bucks, as well as a significantly cheaper console.

Blond

Banned
Its still a massive upgrade from the Pro so this alone is enough

You lot really need to chill. The console will still run games phenomenally

Also, doesn't it make you laugh a little when their main point has always been "GAMES GAMES GAMES!" and suddenly it's now coping about a perceived loss in power? Xbox won't have the games playstation delivers, that's a fact especially in terms of Japanese output no matter how much Microsoft makes pushes in that direction. Just enjoy the damn thing and talk about games on their own merrit lol.

Mista

Banned
Also, doesn't it make you laugh a little when their main point has always been "GAMES GAMES GAMES!" and suddenly it's now coping about a perceived loss in power? Xbox won't have the games playstation delivers, that's a fact especially in terms of Japanese output no matter how much Microsoft makes pushes in that direction. Just enjoy the damn thing and talk about games on their own merrit lol.
May god bless you and your brain. The amount of contradictions on here is funny

Thats why I am messing with them a bit ;p

LordKasual

Banned
Bloodborne was my favorite game of last generation, and it ran like fucking shit.

Hell Breath of the Wild was another one. It also ran like shit. It also was on Switch.

Don't really care, it's always going to be about the games.

XBSX is Majin Vegeta, PS5 is Goku SS2.

Even if vegeta is stronger, I doubt he will become the protagonist.

This is a good post.

....but Majin Vegeta wasn't stronger than SSJ2 Goku, because SSJ2 Goku could still go Lv3...?

XBSX is Adult Gohan, PS5 is Goku.

There now it works

Last edited:

CobraAB

Xbox Series X and Xbox Platform -
Jump from playing your games on console, PC, mobile and can even stream from your console.
Xbox Game Pass.
Two (2) More Teraflops.
Higher CPU clock speeds.
Sustained CPU and GPU speeds.
Higher memory bandwidth.

If you had to purchase just one console, or buy one console first, the answer is extremely easy; the Xbox Series X!
Let’s see what the prices are.

Most expensive pretty much does not win.

And with the economy tanking right now........

Dabaus

Banned
As a PS fanboy i have to say im extremely disappointed with today. The 10.2 tflops was welcome but finding out that its not fixed and can dip sounds like marketing spin BS to me and that its actually 9tflops with some marketing spin.. The fact gitgub was/is real is also disappointing. MS built a console for the future, sony built one for 2019. And the backwards compatibility not working with even most games? Fuck outta here. I was initially a day one buyer, now im a wait see,

Last edited:
Top Bottom