• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

VFXVeteran

Banned
My guess is the ps5 will be $450 or $499 and Microsoft will match the price. If the ps5 is $399 Microsoft will price the Series X at $450. I will gladly bet my avatar on that.

Also, something a lot people aren't talking about, the Series X has 12tf outside of RT. So, even after RT in enabled, devs have 12tf to play with. 😲

You can't compare 12TF in RT mode to 12TF without RT. Every single graphics feature costs something. RT is the most demanding of all features.

Trogdor1123

CPU is not fixed and GPU is not fixed in otherwords they can't hold those speeds the thing is slower and probably a lot slower then that on top of it.

They blew their budget on a SSD nobody gives 2 shits about.
Let's not say we don't give a darn until we see it in action. It could be a real game changer.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Aside from games, which is most important to me, 2nd most important has always been the OS. Power does matter to me, but after being split pretty even on Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of games, I went WAY more in the direction of PS4 this gen because of the PS4 OS. I just like it way more than XB1. I like how you can easily manage saves. I find the dashboard way better and more user friendly. I like the themes and everything. I hated it on XB1. Every time I turned on the damn console I hated the layout of everything. It turned me off from using it so much to where I barely used it at all. In fact, Ori is the first game I played on it in well over a year.

That stuff matters to me. And also, I like using things like Save Wizard on PS4, to cut down on the grinding I need to spend on games, since my backlog is so massive. You never get any stuff like that with Xbox consoles.

I hope XSX changes that this time around, though I doubt it will, I hated how you couldn't even manage saves on the XB1. If the XSX adds these things and has a really nice OS, I'll use it a lot more next gen, but I'll always be Sony first as long as they have the first party titles I prefer.

Last edited:

You can't compare 12TF in RT mode to 12TF without RT. Every single graphics feature costs something. RT is the most demanding of all features.

That's what I'm saying. Or that's what the system architect of the xsx said:

“Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone,” Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen tells the site. “For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing.”

Sony doesn't have any real secret sauce this time.

To be fair, the one area where they do have the lead is in terms of SSD performance. It's a genuinely fast solution on every level (not just raw sequential access), even by the very best PC standards of the day (much faster than anything an Intel user could experience even in a best-case unrealistic benchmark).

On the downside, other than startup/load times it won't give a meaningful advantage to any game that ever runs on both the XSX and the PS5. Anything that will ever run on PC can't take full advantage of this.

And for the time being, PS5 is limited to a piffling 825GB of storage. Get used to juggling installs, folks.

Monkeyclone

Neo Member
Cerny talking about the Tempest engine running just like an SPU and having performance on par with all 8 Jag cores makes me think this thing isn't just being used for 3d audio? Maybe I'm going full conspiracy theory but could this be a way of getting some PS3-like hardware in there to do back compat?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ive been rewatching cernys spec talk.

The ssd stuff is fascinating, one part he said that devs would be able to load complete game assets straight from the ssd, because he said it takes a player 0.5 seconds for a player to turn around and in a typical next gen game there would be about 4gb of assets, so in the xbox series x case it would be able to load about 2gb in half a second.

This is interesting, but I do wonder how practical it will be. And what benefit it will have over doing it from RAM.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Ahh. A realist. So someone who can look at things as they are in life.

giphy.gif
Out of words, sad :).

TLZ

Banned
Ah well what a disappointment. Microsoft is way ahead of sony when it comes to hardware, and BC.
Well it's clear from what I watched from Cerny is they're aiming for speed more than power. Their SSD is 5.5gb/s compared to XSX's 2.4gb/s. He said they also chose higher frequency for their gpu, 2.23ghz vs XSX 1.82ghz, over more/bigger CUs for speed over size.

So it's clear how both are going differently about nextgen. Quite happy with both.

But the PS5 has to sell cheaper than the XSX, else they shoot themselves in the foot.

fallingdove

9.2 TF was real. Sony just did last minute clocks to 2.23 but that's not sustainable. That's just boost speed at certain times.

Not necessarily. Sony has been conservative with clock speeds in the past.
To be fair, the one area where they do have the lead is in terms of SSD performance. It's a genuinely fast solution on every level (not just raw sequential access), even by the very best PC standards of the day (much faster than anything an Intel user could experience even in a best-case unrealistic benchmark).

On the downside, other than startup/load times it won't give a meaningful advantage to any game that ever runs on both the XSX and the PS5. Anything that will ever run on PC can't take full advantage of this.

And for the time being, PS5 is limited to a piffling 825GB of storage. Get used to juggling installs, folks.

Startup and load times improvements are massive. With as "open world" as games have become, having to wait 5 seconds instead of 25, every time I have to load an area/fast travel is something I am really looking forward to.

Well it's clear from what I watched from Cerny is they're aiming for speed more than power. Their SSD is 5.5gb/s compared to XSX's 2.4gb/s. He said they also chose higher frequency for their gpu, 2.23ghz vs XSX 1.82ghz, over more/bigger CUs for speed over size.

So it's clear how both are going differently about nextgen. Quite happy with both.

But the PS5 has to sell cheaper than the XSX, else they shoot themselves in the foot.

reminds of xbox one presentation, bad design choice all around by sony.

Definitely not a generational leap, but 2TF is more power than an entire PS4, and that's the difference when the PS5 is in boost mode, so the real world difference is likely a full 3TF which is almost a PS4 Pro, let's not also forget the 448GB/s memory bandwidth vs 560GB/s for XSX, that will have an impact on higher resolutions.
This is not how you should compare it.

Let's say you developed a game with assets (models, shaders, CPUs, physics, etc.) then you adjust those to run on target hardware at a specific resolution/frame rate.

So I'll say this: if you have a 1080p TV there should be no difference between those consoles - unless something stresses out the CPU too much, I assume that the PS5 will have some disadvantage there.

If you have a 4K TV dropping the resolution a bit lower (the difference is below 30%, some at worse it would be ) when the action get heated will probably make both versions of a game as stable as the other.

One thing that may also happen is the lowering of the fidelity of some effects here and there (still to a pretty high level).

One other thing that could happen with the much faster SSD is that some games that stream a lot of data may have to be pared down to work properly on the series x (again, probably some minor pop-ups or textures loading in the distance).

So I think that in the end there will be very little discernable difference between the two, not my favorite situation, but what else can we do?

I have a 4K HDR TV, while I see a difference when content is not at native resolution, this is nowhere the mess that it was when playing sub native resolution on a 1080p TV - so while I am not as thrilled about the potential of the PS5 as I was hoping, I am still convinced it will put up a good fight and that in the end they are "close enough".

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

Plus the audio. Audio is neglected for decades, so we'll see where it leads. Sounds promising and could blow a gargantuan hole into XBX's belly. Remember: the one who owns the standard owns the market. And if Tempest 3D becomes a widely used standard MS will adopt it and pay license to Sony.

825 GB is more than enough. Why you need 5+ games on your console? After you finish a game you replay it 25 times and alternating between 5 others? Let me suppress my laugh. If you need more space you are not an average user, so go buy more SSD... from Sony.

vpance

Ive been rewatching cernys spec talk.

The ssd stuff is fascinating, one part he said that devs would be able to load complete game assets straight from the ssd, because he said it takes a player 0.5 seconds for a player to turn around and in a typical next gen game there would be about 4gb of assets, so in the xbox series x case it would be able to load about 2gb in half a second.

This is interesting, but I do wonder how practical it will be. And what benefit it will have over doing it from RAM.

The benefit is PS5 can get away with preloading less assets into RAM, which leaves more total RAM available for other stuff. Don't expect multiplat games to take advantage of this though.

sony's PS4 presentation was a mess, thanks for them the product sold itself... MS are great presenters.

When i meant was the hardware they showed was very lackluster/shit, like the ssd being the main focus, reminds of kinect no one cares about 2-3 seconds faster load times when you are sacrificing every other features like kinect did for xbox one.

When i meant was the hardware they showed was very lackluster/shit, like the ssd being the main focus, reminds of kinect no one cares about 2-3 seconds faster load times when you are sacrificing every other features like kinect did for xbox one.
Streaming assets at a faster rate means you can have more detailed scenes and/or move around faster in a game, this is not as small a detail as some may think... obviously a faster CPU and more powerful GPU provide their own benefits too, that SSD won't raytrace, nor will it compute physics.

Is there any possible way it could be engineered/tweaked to be locked at those boost speeds, maintaining constant 10.3 TF, or is it far too late in the process for that?

I think a locked performance would go a long way for some of the letdown crowd, such as myself

I really hope it works out, but 36 CUs just looks like so few on paper. Just to my uneducated eyes, anyway

Last edited:

GymWolf

The cooling solution is efficient enough to sustain some combination of 3.5GHz CPU and 2.23GHz GPU, except for the most demanding of games. And what that is we'll see.

It's a limiter based on power draw, not temperature. More demanding games draw more power from the system. Indie games will run at full clocks, unless it's not necessary (maybe dev controlled in that case).
so except heavy exclusive games and heavy third party games, so basically the console doesn't work at his best with the games that usually demand more power, how can people can't see how good this news is?!

Last edited:

Pandemic

Not much of a tech head but can someone explain the difference between both the PS5 specs and the Xbox?

Is there much of a difference in terms of power? All I see is a 2ish teraflop difference but will we see much of an impact in terms of games?

GamingKaiju

Don't worry guys the SSD with it's secret sauce will give the PS5 the extra 2TF performance.

God grief this is as bad as Xbots talking about the power of the cloud during the X1 reveal.

Last edited:
Streaming assets at a faster rate means you can have more detailed scenes and/or move around faster in a game, this is not as small a detail as some may think... obviously a faster CPU and more powerful GPU provide their own benefits too, that SSD won't raytrace, nor will it compute physics.

come on an, the X ssd is plenty powerful enough to handle anything ps5 ssd can. pretty much guarantee that there won't make a difference in 99% of games.

Jigga117

This is always going to be an issue with storage space from PC to game consoles. Nothing is infinite and people need to just accept that

OK let's see the hardware comparison:

CPU = I would say even, Xbox clocked just 8% higher
GPU = Xbox better, more CU, locked frequencies ( about 25% more power)
RAM = Playstation better (no bottleneck in bandwidth, same size)
SSD = Playstion MUCH better (129% faster)
Expansion = Playstation better (No proprietary hardware required)
Audio= I guess PS5 will be better, but I'm not sure

What did I miss?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
reminds of xbox one presentation, bad design choice all around by sony.
How though? Power is awesome, but isn't everything. The PS5 would still be able to deliver high res and fps, and 4k is easily achievable there. The XSX might have higher res at higher framerates, but the PS5 would beat it with faster loading times, if any load times at all. Maybe they'll both achieve the same target, but using different approaches. One doing things ultra fast, while the other using more brute.

Reminds me of American vs Japanese cars.

I'm very curious to see the results and in-depth analysis when we have both systems and games come out. We'll have more intricate details how they're doing things to get to the same results (or not).

This is going to be a very long wait :messenger_downcast_sweat:

I'm very curious!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

What did I miss?
Teraflop

TLZ

Banned

What did I miss?
I don't remember seeing the RAM amount. What was it? And what speed?

Oh, a correction for you. XSX gpu 15% better, not 25%.

Last edited:

Yams

What did I miss?

10GB of Xbox's RAM is clocked faster. 6GB is clocked slower than PS5. We'll see how that plays out in practice. I'm not sure we can claim either has the advantage.

Pandemic

What did I miss?
Handy breakdown, thank you.

10GB of Xbox's RAM is clocked faster. 6GB is clocked slower than PS5. We'll see how that plays out in practice. I'm not sure we can claim either has the advantage.

True but still, that's the definition of bottleneck... 16 GB at the same speed is technically better than 10 faster and 6 slower at least on paper

Last edited:

GymWolf

What did I miss?
i mean, if you put expansion on that list than ssd on ps5 is smaller and BC seems sensibly worse (not that i care about this stuff anyway)
also, altough the ram on sex is not all of the same type, most of the memory dedicated to gaming (10gb) is faster than ps5 ram and we don't know how much gb the ps5 os take to work, so i call that a draw.

Iorv3th

From what I see- Xbox gpu die- 25 percent more raw power, CPU slightly better in the Xbox, and Xbox memory clocked at higher frequency for games.

SSD better in the PS5, but storage capacity lot less at 800gb with MS at 1 terabyte.

They are probably using a 1tb hard drive but you don't actually get 1tb of space by the way they measure it. Also have so much for OS.

A lot of people seem to be looking strictly at flops and not the stuff he was mentioning about with the custom ssd improvements and ram improvements to cut down on loading time and so that ram is always active and not idle.

2tflops won't make a difference in 99% games either.

But Series X being more expensive will impact sales 100%

it's more then 2 teraflops. ps5 10.2 is boosted that means it goes up and down,. closer to 9.5. xbox is true 12.1 teraflops machine and the architecture seems way more advanced with ray tacing plus the cpu is faster. also xbox BC will boost performance to all games. ps5 everything is very unclear.

Last edited:
i mean, if you put expansion on that list than ssd on ps5 is smaller and BC seems sensibly worse (not that i care about this stuff anyway)
also, altough the ram on sex is not all of the same type, most of the memory dedicated to gaming (10gb) is faster than ps5 ram and we don't know how much gb the ps5 os take to work, so i call that a draw.

I would argue that storage is more important than Backwards compatibility but fair enough...

Top Bottom