• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

Batiman

Banned
It was clear since 2013 that MS will always put out the more powerful console moving forward. That Xbox one reveal still haunts them.

Both are gonna be great systems in the end though.

GymWolf

I would argue that storage is more important than Backwards compatibility but fair enough...
tbh i really don't care about both. (and i don't know if i wasnt' clear but sex win both on storage and BC)

i will switch the current ps5 with a ps5 14tf and 300gb of ssd with zero BC without a single regret.

Last edited:
tbh i really don't care about both.

i will switch the current ps5 with a ps5 12tf and 300gb of ssd with zero BC in a fucking instant.

Agreed, I have unlimited 1 gigabit fiber at home so I can Install and delete at will...

About BC, I'm happy with just PS4 games, don't care about older titles

Hey where's that indie VR dev from that noname company or the garage band dev to update us on the latest console devkit specs? Obviously Cerny is not aware of the most recent dev kit release.

Is Klee still in canada? Has Osiris gone to join him?

Not even Press Sneak fuck was right about spec claims. Insiders are worthless.

BeardGawd

Banned
What people are not taking into account with the PS5’s SSD speeds and “bigger and more detailed worlds” due to faster streaming are the GPU and CPU requirements to render said “bigger and more detailed worlds”. The GPU and CPU are considerably weaker than the Series X. It won’t be rendering bigger and more detailed anything.

Last edited:
I'm kind of confused. Last gen, Flops were a big deal when sony had more. But this gen the don't matter as much?

I'll get both as always, but Xbox day 1. PS4 when I get enough points to get one.

TLZ

Banned
it's more then 2 teraflops. ps5 10.2 is boosted that means it goes up and down,. closer to 9.5. xbox is true 12.1 teraflops
How'd you get that conclusion? 10.3 and 12.1 is what's available as max power for devs to use. He's basically saying PS5 will have 10.3, and it's upto devs to use it's full power or not. Just like it is every gen. It doesn't mean it goes up and down and likely 9.5 :/

If devs are only using 5tf of it, it doesn't mean it's a 5tf machine.

I think I did my maths wrong before. So at 10.2 and 12.1, the XSX has 17.5% more TF. I hope I did it right this time. Still closer to 15% than 25%. How'd you guys get 25%? Because 10.3 + 25% = 12.87, say 12.9.

dangopee

Neo Member
I'm kind of confused. Last gen, Flops were a big deal when sony had more. But this gen the don't matter as much?

I'll get both as always, but Xbox day 1. PS4 when I get enough points to get one.
The idea is that the percent difference this gen is less than last gen. And also diminishing returns of visual improvement per TFLOPS.

Last edited:
How'd you get that conclusion? 10.3 and 12.1 is what's available as max power for devs to use. He's basically saying PS5 will have 10.3, and it's upto devs to use it's full power or not. Just like it is every gen. It doesn't mean it goes up and down and likely 9.5 :/

If devs are only using 5tf of it, it doesn't mean it's a 5tf machine.

I think I did my maths wrong before. So at 10.2 and 12.1, the XSX has 17.5% more TF. I hope I did it right this time. Still closer to 15% than 25%. How'd you guys get 25%? Because 10.3 + 25% = 12.87, say 12.9.

The point is that PS5 is designed to run up to a target temperature, once it gets to that temperature the GPU will slow down....

Keep in mind we are talking about a VERY high temperature

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned

Of course TFs matter, but we didn't have these ultra fast custom SSDs and hardware that's aimed at speed more moving things so much quicker than last gens. So we haven't experienced that yet and it'll be very interesting how that turns out.

This was a pretty big fuck up on many, many levels.

You don't wait until shortly after specifications of your competitor are revealed and announce an event that:

A.) Ended up being a bunch of techno-babble nobody truly understood or expected when they tuned in by and large, based on how your social media fired it off.

B.) Release a specification sheet that pales in comparison to your aforementioned competitor on basically *all* fronts, except for the SSD.

C.) I'm no technical guru, but even I saw through the jargon about teraflops and frequency enough to see "We overclocked the shit out of this to close a gap we somehow didnt see coming."

No reveal of the system, no reveal of a game running, nothing. Literally zero, whereas your competitor has done all that so far on TOP of having superior performance by a non-small margin.

Needs to be $399 and that's the only saving thing I can say so far.

Bad marketing, weaker specs(even a layman can look at specs and see the difference), just all around a bad situation for them. They deserve to be called out on it, also.

People are already fed up with you and this is all you had to give?

come on an, the X ssd is plenty powerful enough to handle anything ps5 ssd can. pretty much guarantee that there won't make a difference in 99% of games.
Obviously, same for the CPU/GPU... the differences may be pretty hard to spot, even for the trained eye.

I mean - both should run existing games extremely well (Ms seems like it has put more effort in enhancing their existing games, which is pretty great, no matter what you think of their first party output)... so the SSD is not really a differentiation factor in those.

But if you have a scene with tons of details (something mostly AAA games should have) half the transfer speed will make a difference there. Will any third party games do that? probably not that often as they will have designed some ways around it and we will never know what the impact is, except on fast travel, MAYBE.

I also stated that this does not make up for the CPU/GPU disparity.

I want to tell DF I am sorry for complaining about the video they made, this presentation did not make a good job at selling us the product's potential. Even worse than the overly edited DF video.

Last edited:
Of course TFs matter, but we didn't have these ultra fast custom SSDs and hardware that's aimed at speed more moving things so much quicker than last gens. So we haven't experienced that yet and it'll be very interesting how that turns out.
Agreed, lots of cool new tech with both systems. Will be good!

Now let's all hope we all have jobs when they come out...

• LOL
Plus the audio. Audio is neglected for decades, so we'll see where it leads. Sounds promising and could blow a gargantuan hole into XBX's belly. Remember: the one who owns the standard owns the market. And if Tempest 3D becomes a widely used standard MS will adopt it and pay license to Sony.

825 GB is more than enough. Why you need 5+ games on your console? After you finish a game you replay it 25 times and alternating between 5 others? Let me suppress my laugh. If you need more space you are not an average user, so go buy more SSD... from Sony.

This is fanboy crap.

I know families with 2 adults and 2 kids and an Xbox or PS4. Not unusual. Even if only three of them play games, between them they might want to play on a regular rotation: CoD, Fortnight, Minecraft, Apex legends, RDR2, GTA5, Fifa, and a few "minor" platform exclusives like (in the Xbox realm) Halo, Forza, Gears and whatever couple of hundred games are on Gampass.

Families needing more than 825 GB next gen to cover frequently played games being outrageous?

Get the fuck out of here. I've had more than a TB of storage in my PC for more than a decade, and I'm just an unloved, miserable, single fuckwit like you.

hussar16

im disappointed in sony ,theyr system looks about 20% weaker, most games probably wont do 4k native,which is a joke as its a console meant for over 5 years and many ppl have 4k tvs, I might have to go with xbox this gen if they don't announce ps2 backwards compatibility with 4k resolution and automatic upgrades like xbox is doing ,xbox has way more incentives from the outset tbh with upscaled and upgraded old games ,sony doesn't seem to care to give us choice but push their blurry ps now service

vpance

so except heavy exclusive games and heavy third party games, so basically the console doesn't work at his best with the games that usually demand more power, how can people can't see how good this news is?!

It's a 1440p console when it comes to the top end games. Expect checkerboard and reconstructed 4K for sure, but then again that was going to happen even if it were 12TF.

Just wait for the DF comparos to see how bad the difference really is. Might actually hold off on getting a launch PS console for once.

The point is that PS5 is designed to run up to a target temperature, once it gets to that temperature the GPU will slow down....

Keep in mind we are talking about a VERY high temperature

I wrote temperature but I should have written "power consumption", not exactly the same thing....

• Thoughtful

GymWolf

It's a 1440p console when it comes to the top end games. Expect checkerboard and reconstructed 4K for sure, but then again that was going to happen even if it were 12TF.

Just wait for the DF comparos to see how bad the difference really is. Might actually hold off on getting a launch PS console for once.
i think sex is gonna have more games at real4k, just look at pro and xone x, heavy games like rdr2 show pretty signifcant differences.
my 2070super is around a ps5 in power and i can't do 4k60 or even 4k30 with high details in a lot of games, a 2080ti is around a sex and it can achieve that. (stupid example but you get the gist)

this is why people wants more power, there is no secret ssd sauce that can change that and 20-30% more power is not a joke like some people think.

obviously this doesn0't mean that sony exclusives can't be better in overall graphics because they still have team of sorcerers devs, but still...

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So that's literally the point of my post. There's not going to be to many killer games day one, and all the good stuff will come later. However, there will be plenty of dope third party games, as well as a new Halo on xbox. On top of that you will be getting a console that should be playing any and all third party games better, as well as full backwards compatibility with all xbox games. What good exclusives there are for PS5, you'll be able to pick up in 3 or 4 years for 30-40 bucks, as well as a significantly cheaper console.
PS5 will have a lot more games due to more 3rd party support especially from Japan and Sony has the China Hero Project

Shin

Banned

BAAS, the Amsterdam PR agency for Sony Interactive Entertainment Benelux, has informed LetsGoDigital that the corona virus has not yet delayed the launch of the PlayStation 5 for the time being.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
From what I’m hearing Sony was forced to go with 36cu to achieve backwards compatibility with PS4.

If that’s true, Phil’s decision to push that feature and pressure Sony into having to match (or at least attempt to) may have been the greatest 3-dimensional chess move I’ve ever seen.

And what does this mean for PS6? Will that also need to be 36cu? Or will a more expensive solution be necessary?

Sony probably should have just dropped that feature. May not be worth the sacrifice.

Holy crap, this is terrible boost system imo. Only looking at the logic being ran but trying maximize clocks will result in so many consoles overheating over the lifetime. The cooling system always degrades and if it's 60C at launch and boosting, once some dust gets in there, its going to 100C easily.

Will have to see what actually happens at launch but I have a feeling the console will launch hot and only get hotter over time with those kind of clocks if they really are targeting boost at those frequencies.

Talking about Dreams.... the dream is over lol.
Oh man, it's really 9TF with boost.
CPU is 100MHz slower than Sex Box.
Lower RAM bandwidth that have to be shared between the CPU and GPU unlike the dedicated lanes on Sex Box.
The SDD is nice, but all the transistors used for that probably subtracted from the GPU, and specially... it's good that the consumer can buy a standard SSD for expandable storage, but the money Microsoft will make with their proprietary cards should help subside the bigger GPU.
And not talk about back compatibility with the PS3-2

Last edited:

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
This is fanboy crap.

I know families with 2 adults and 2 kids and an Xbox or PS4. Not unusual. Even if only three of them play games, between them they might want to play on a regular rotation: CoD, Fortnight, Minecraft, Apex legends, RDR2, GTA5, Fifa, and a few "minor" platform exclusives like (in the Xbox realm) Halo, Forza, Gears and whatever couple of hundred games are on Gampass.

Families needing more than 825 GB next gen to cover frequently played games being outrageous?

Get the fuck out of here. I've had more than a TB of storage in my PC for more than a decade, and I'm just an unloved, miserable, single fuckwit like you.
No it's not, they can buy external storage. If you've got above average needs, pay for it.

I know a family of orangutans who play 70 games and even 15TB is not enough for them... blabla usecase.

Without name

Neo Member
NUqilsf.jpg

Top Bottom