• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 specs revealed. Up to 10.2 Tflops.

LMJ

I think the mid-generation refreshes of PS4 and One do make these new consoles feel less substantial.

The thing to remember about the Pro and the X, is that they have never once been used to their full efficiency, because they're simply being used to brute force their base systems specs at higher res etc, as such the leap here will be very substantial...

As console gamers we have yet to see anything over 1.85 Tera flops as far as programming to the metal, let alone 10 or 12,

...and that's before you put all the other components such as they knew SSDs's, the new GPU's and CPU's and all the other Bells and whistles into effect it will be pretty amazing lol

No idea why people are freaking out over this is

My PC GPU maxes out at peak 2.2TFLOPS. This is like 5 times as fast as my computer.

Because the PS5 is not a true generational leap and it's a piece of garbage. Our only hope is if the Corona virus shuts down the economy that these two consoles never ship and that we get a new PS5 in a couple years on 3NM.

Because the PS5 is not a true generational leap and it's a piece of garbage. Our only hope is if the Corona virus shuts down the economy that these two consoles never ship and that we get a new PS5 in a couple years on 3NM.
The ps5 is 10.3 tflop of rdna2. Thats probably more ingame performance than 12tflops of gcn. The cpu is vastly faster than ps4 as is the gpu and the ssd is 100x faster than ps4 hdd.

What makes say these new consoles are incremental? They're pretty substantial.

For the PS5 to have been a true generational leap it would have required at least 12.88TF which would have made it seven times the TF of the PS4. Instead, it only has 9.2TF and can be overclocked. This makes it an incremental improvement. Apparently, Sony has given up on true generational leaps. This is horrible for consumers. In the past, consoles were a true generation leap that would remain good machines for years. Now, Sony will want us to buy a whole new console every couple of years to get a small improvement.

Filippos

Banned
Definitely not a generational leap, but 2TF is more power than an entire PS4, and that's the difference when the PS5 is in boost mode, so the real world difference is likely a full 3TF which is almost a PS4 Pro, let's not also forget the 448GB/s memory bandwidth vs 560GB/s for XSX, that will have an impact on higher resolutions.

yeah. That’s why MS is looking for stable 60FPS@4K for every game. I can imagine that we will see stable 30fps and checkerboard fake-4K for PS5.
But we will see the DF Thread. They will tell us.

The ps5 is 10.3 tflop of rdna2. Thats probably more ingame performance than 12tflops of gcn. The cpu is vastly faster than ps4 as is the gpu and the ssd is 100x faster than ps4 hdd.

No it's not. It's 9.2TF and if all the conditions are right it can operate at 10.3.

And you can't factor in efficiency improvements. Every new generation gets a massive leap in efficiency. Consider how the PS4 had unified shaders compared to the PS3.

DinoD

You haven't even seen any games yet?!

yeah. That’s why MS is looking for stable 60FPS@4K for every game. I can imagine that we will see stable 30fps and checkerboard fake-4K for PS5.
But we will see the DF Thread. They will tell us.

What's important is that the XBox will have eight times the TF as the previous generation. This is a true generational leap. Sony won't even come close to that.

DinoD

I don't have to see any games. I know that if Sony had made this system a true generational leap the games would have had higher graphical quality. Instead, they gave us a system that has a weak GPU and low bandwidth.

I am sorry you feel like that. You can always game on the top tier PC or Xbox S X. PS5 is the gaming console aimed at at sub $450 segment. Assuming they launch between 399-450, you get a decent amount of hardware for your money.

Regards

Mista

Banned
This is fanboy crap.

I know families with 2 adults and 2 kids and an Xbox or PS4. Not unusual. Even if only three of them play games, between them they might want to play on a regular rotation: CoD, Fortnight, Minecraft, Apex legends, RDR2, GTA5, Fifa, and a few "minor" platform exclusives like (in the Xbox realm) Halo, Forza, Gears and whatever couple of hundred games are on Gampass.

Families needing more than 825 GB next gen to cover frequently played games being outrageous?

Get the fuck out of here. I've had more than a TB of storage in my PC for more than a decade, and I'm just an unloved, miserable, single fuckwit like you.
Don’t waste your time. He’s hopeless

Liftplus

Seriously tho, looking at past gens, who cared about Tflops after console release? Like a year after? You just buy it for the games. You choose the console that has games that you like, not by how strong it is.

Mista

Banned
Seriously tho, looking at past gens, who cared about Tflops after console release? Like a year after? You just buy it for the games. You choose the console that has games that you like, not by how strong it is.
Everyone cared apparently this gen until they got hit with reality and knew the PS5 had less than XsX. I can see how it’ll be if it was the other way around..

Other than that I agree

Last edited:

Dibils2k

i guess you were not here during the golden BF4 900p vs 720p "discussions"

it gets less important after a year because in that year some people choose based on which plays the games best

Last edited:
I'm def getting a Series X at launch (HALO!), and prob a PS5 shortly after (depending on launch titles). If Sony wraps up MGS, Castlevania, and Silent Hill series, then it won't matter about a slight under power. You can always count on Sony to deliver the exclusive single player titles. PS2 was so much weaker than OG Xbox (and gamecube), but it blew it (and gc) out of the water because of all the exclusives.

Nero_PR

Banned
I'm def getting a Series X at launch (HALO!), and prob a PS5 shortly after (depending on launch titles). If Sony wraps up MGS, Castlevania, and Silent Hill series, then it won't matter about a slight under power. You can always count on Sony to deliver the exclusive single player titles. PS2 was so much weaker than OG Xbox (and gamecube), but it blew it (and gc) out of the water because of all the exclusives.
At the end of the day, games are what make a system. I'm eager to get both consoles and upgrade my PC after PCIe4.0 SSDs get in the market for a good price. I know not everyone can afford to have all systems, but the console wars always make me feel smarter than your average joe idolizing a piece of plastic and silicon.

Mendou

Banned
Cerny says to reduce power by 10% it only takes a reduction of a few percent in frequency. Not a ten percent reduction in frequency.
Cerny also says that both cpu and gpu will be running close to max frequency the majority of the time. And as he said only a few percent drop in frequency is needed to lower power by 10%.
Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid it would drop all the way to 9.2tf, but it seems that may not be the case. I still want to believe what the 'insiders' said about these consoles being close, but my shattered faith in them leads me to wait on guys like Digital Foundry to make that judgement. Overall, I hope that SSD makes up for the performance deficit.

thelastword

Banned
Yep, fuck the 2tflop advantage, l will take 4 seconds load time advantage any day of the week.

Yep, suicides? Has anyone checked on Reeesetera?

thelastword thelastword are you alright, son?
Can someone please check on thelastword thelastword

He's very quiet and I'm seriously worried about his health.
Thanks for the genuine concern..... :messenger_sunglasses:…....I know you guys are always looking out for my best interest....I'm allright…..What do you guys think of the Cerny reveal? It will be a fight of finecomb custom engineering vs higher TFLOPS. I suspect the games is what will decide which console is better designed......I guess we will see these games soon enough...

MilkyJoe

Thanks for the genuine concern..... :messenger_sunglasses:…....I know you guys are always looking out for my best interest....I'm allright…..What do you guys think of the Cerny reveal? It will be a fight of finecomb custom engineering vs higher TFLOPS. I suspect the games is what will decide which console is better designed......I guess we will see these games soon enough...

Contrary to the other thread, I think they should have left it at a locked 9.2tflops. The boost thing is unbalancing the system.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of BC, I would have got one for PS1/PS2 BC alone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Contrary to the other thread, I think they should have left it at a locked 9.2tflops. The boost thing is unbalancing the system.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of BC, I would have got one for PS1/PS2 BC alone.
There is still PS4 Legacy BC. Like MS did with Xbox One, I'm sure the BC catalog will grow. More disappointing is the lack of enhancements.

As for really old gen BC, that's not happening and given the track record was never going to happen anyway. It's not even about trying to upsell old games. It's simply a matter of Sony not caring about supporting old gen BC. That's why they got PS Now with tons of oldies. That's where they are.... unde a sub plan.

The whole PS1-PS3 BC hype was a false rumour that got spread around a lot as I saw that rumour floating around many times.

MetalAlien

Banned
Everyone cared apparently this gen until they got hit with reality and knew the PS5 had less than XsX. I can see how it’ll be if it was the other way around..

Other than that I agree
It absolutely matters. If it was just about the games we would all stick with our PS1 and never upgrade. Like I said before we all knew this would happen one day. It's getting harder and more expensive to make consoles more powerful. Just seems we've reached that point where unless we are willing to pay 1000 bucks we will never see the same leap in performance that we have had the luxury of having in the past.

Dural

So is PS5 RDNA 1 with some RDNA 2 features, custom RDNA as Cerny says? They didn't talk about some of the features of RDNA 2 that you'd think they would have like VRR. DF touched on this in their video and it's another thing that could be a differentiator between the two consoles.

thelastword

Banned

It's 10.3, not 9.2.....As a matter of fact, the clocks could go even higher....They said why they didn't go higher....

Also, BC on PS5 seems to be great...…..That seems to be one of the most accomplished things in the silicon and as Cerny said AMD and Sony worked really hard to get it there.....It's engrained within the system....He also said performance on BC is insane, so expect much better loadtimes etc on BC titles over the XBOX counterpart.......People are confusing the 100 games he mentioned thinking that it's only a 100 games that will be available at launch, that is not the case....They are just working on the most popular, most demanding titles first, they said they are running pretty great, so the rest will fall in no problems..

Reactions: CJY

MilkyJoe

It's 10.3, not 9.2.....As a matter of fact, the clocks could go even higher....They said why they didn't go higher....

Also, BC on PS5 seems to be great...…..That seems to be one of the most accomplished things in the silicon and as Cerny said AMD and Sony worked really hard to get it there.....It's engrained within the system....He also said performance on BC is insane, so expect much better loadtimes etc on BC titles over the XBOX counterpart.......People are confusing the 100 games he mentioned thinking that it's only a 100 games that will be available at launch, that is not the case....They are just working on the most popular, most demanding titles first, they said they are running pretty great, so the rest will fall in no problems..

BC is ps4 only and less than 100 titles. Its absolutely terrible compared to the Xbox BC, which ups the resolution and adds HDR to old games. Are you sure you're OK?

Journey

Banned

Do you actually "Think" the PS5 has a better design? are you sure your bias is not taking over?

MilkyJoe

There is still PS4 Legacy BC. Like MS did with Xbox One, I'm sure the BC catalog will grow. More disappointing is the lack of enhancements.

As for really old gen BC, that's not happening and given the track record was never going to happen anyway. It's not even about trying to upsell old games. It's simply a matter of Sony not caring about supporting old gen BC. That's why they got PS Now with tons of oldies. That's where they are.... unde a sub plan.

The whole PS1-PS3 BC hype was a false rumour that got spread around a lot as I saw that rumour floating around many times.

A false rumour that's now very disappointing 😔

Words cannot describe how much I loved the PS1. I would miss so many classes glued to the screen playing Worms.

Journey

Banned
So is PS5 RDNA 1 with some RDNA 2 features, custom RDNA as Cerny says? They didn't talk about some of the features of RDNA 2 that you'd think they would have like VRR. DF touched on this in their video and it's another thing that could be a differentiator between the two consoles.

He said the architecture is based on RDNA 2.

Based on something means it has some features of it plus its own.

Shmunter

The boost is smart, I’ve figured it out I believe. A Gpu or cpu is never under consistent load, and the boost shit simple takes that into account and gives devs the option where they want a capped power draw to go. More gfx or more cpu.

thelastword

Banned
BC is ps4 only and less than 100 titles. Its absolutely terrible compared to the Xbox BC, which ups the resolution and adds HDR to old games. Are you sure you're OK?
Right now they are only testing 100 of the best most demanding titles, there is a difference, by November it will be much more, maybe complete BC by then. It's the testing phase, the console is several months away, there's nothing wrong with QC and making sure there are no issues...How many games on SeriesX did they confirm running btw...…?
Do you actually "Think" the PS5 has a better design? are you sure your bias is not taking over?
Yes I do, I've never stuttered....for a more complete breakdown of why I think so, check out my post in the next gen thread...

ruvikx

Banned

I did? Especially when I was choosing stuff like Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Arkham Knight etc. The Xbox always had the better controller (subjectively of course), but the PS4 versions had better image quality & in most cases better performance. In 2015 (over a year after release) it was totally legit & normal to get a PS4 if a person wanted the best multiplats.

More Teraflops = real life performance improvements & image quality. It's not just a random number without meaning.

Journey

Banned
Right now they are only testing 100 of the best most demanding titles, there is a difference, by November it will be much more, maybe complete BC by then. It's the testing phase, the console is several months away, there's nothing wrong with QC and making sure there are no issues...How many games on SeriesX did they confirm running btw...…?

Yes I do, I've never stuttered....for a more complete breakdown of why I think so, check out my post in the next gen thread...

I'm sure you have an elaborate reason why your "MIND" believes the PS5 is the better design, since afterall, you also thought the PS4 Pro was the better design over Xbox One X. smdh.

Skyr

I planned to get the PS5 anyway and the presentation hasn't changed anything about that. I am however disappointed about it being less powerfull than expected. I want to play the exclusives in the best possible way and I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a more powerful console.
I still have my doubts the faster ssd will have a significant impact as some people try to spin it here but I will gladly be proven wrong.

Eurogamer said:
a smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5's graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn't accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU. Developers work to the power limits of the SoC, their workloads affecting frequencies on the fly - but it's those factors that impact the clock speeds, not ambient temperatures.

As expected, I think the PS5 will at least match Series X in performance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I planned to get the PS5 anyway and the presentation hasn't changed anything about that. I am however disappointed about it being less powerfull than expected. I want to play the exclusives in the best possible way and I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a more powerful console.
I still have my doubts the faster ssd will have a significant impact as some people try to spin it here but I will gladly be proven wrong.
As for SSD, the real test is high quality graphics being able to stream onto the screen in big open world kinds of games. Those system hog games like Bethesda games where the second you move to a certain location the game chugs for a second as it loads the next block of data.

Aside from these types of games, I don't see how super fast SSDs can make the traditional game (not a huge open world) that much better.

But ultra quick loading screen times should be universal. If that PS4 Spidey demo and SeX State of Decay SSD demos are true, a game should load anywhere from 1-7 seconds. Maybe 10 seconds tops?

Last edited:

Shmunter

As for SSD, the real test is high quality graphics being able to stream onto the screen in big open world kinds of games. Those system hog games like Bethesda games where the second you move to a certain location the game chugs for a second as it loads the next block of data.

Aside from these types of games, I don't see how super fast SSDs can make the traditional game (not a huge open world) that much better.

But ultra quick loading screen times should be universal. If that PS4 Spidey demo and SeX State of Decay SSD demos are true, a game should load anywhere from 1-7 seconds. Maybe 10 seconds tops?

I’m surprised by the lack of imagination by gamers sometimes. Heres something I’m making up as I type... a camera zooms up to a character - super detailed. Zooms down to the floor boards, through a crack into a whole new room, off into a mouse hole where there is a little mouse city, follows a mouse getting into their car, driving off, a fly zooms past - camera follows, out into the room, through a window, into a city.

Seamless, real-time. Yes sounds shit lol, but there are no limits is the point. And creators fuelling the imagination of the games we play will have so many less constraints on what they can deliver.

Last edited:
All games do some kind of dynamic loading, unless they are very small, then again even overcooked doesn't load all its levels in memory at once.

There are tons of delays that are hidden by more or less clever tricks, assets are less varied or have to repeat a million times so that the quantity of data that have to load at any given time is smaller... a game being "open world" or not makes little to no difference on that, but it makes a difference on how the asset swapping is handled.

Being able to transfer 8 or 9GB of data back in RAM while you turn the character to see what's behind you will mean you can have more details in the end... more than if you could only load half of that data, however, a weaker GPU may mean you can only render that extra details at a slightly lower resolution.

I think that the SSD is the transformative aspect of this generation, now how much of a difference will a 5.5GB/s SSD do against a 2.5? good question... we don't know yet, and anyone who claim they know is full of it.

We kind of know the impact of a weaker CPU/GPU combo, but again this is very circumstantial.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Thing is, in the end it's all about the games......I have less incentive to buy a Series X because all their games are now on PC, my rig by next year will probably be more powerful than Series X, but that's not me trying to downplay Series X....I still prefer consoles for gaming by far, I'm fine on playing the odd MS game on PC, but if there are enough quality games, more 60fps/120fps games on console, I'd would probably rather play them on a Series X as it's a good piece of kit, but only if they drive up the incentives on owning one...….

I still have OG XBOX and many 360 games, so we will see how things shake up when they actually show their games and how their BC works this time around...…..I'm in for a 4k 120fps or 8K TV later this year, so it all bodes well...….I mean I wanted higher flops, but I think with that design PS5 will be a console remembered......I think SWWS will make it sing way above just a traditional 12TF setup.....

Top Bottom