• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 SSD May Not Necessarily Translate into Much Quicker Loading Times, Says Remedy Technical Director

If games would stay the same in terms of scope and visual quality it’d make loading times be almost unnoticeable and restarting a level could be almost instant [in PS5 games].

However, since more data can be now used there can also be cases where production
might be cheaper and faster when not optimising content, which will lead into having to load much more data, leading back into a situation where you have about the same loading times as today.

This will definitely apply to XSX games.

giphy.gif

Uh oh.

Lets see where this path leads

I mean this is the fringe situation(hopefully) where developers are simply being lazy and will get called out for it. And again I see the console wars have resumed, people, this applies to XSX too, only it'll be much worse there since the SSD is much slower.
Where do you see console warring?

I'm gonna guess Sony said no and decided to spend their cash elsewhere...

Are you referring to the rumours of Sony purchasing them..?

If so I guess this means those handful of 1st party devs praising the the PS5's SSD was solely because they're on Sony's payroll.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Who to believe Sony shills or maker of the best game of this gen. And yes that statement is truthFact™

Time for Jason Schreier to do his part of the "work".

I'm gonna guess Sony said no and decided to spend their cash elsewhere...
Good news, they would be "put down" into making terrible cynematic emotional garbage. Nobody aside from soy-gender like that.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I mean people go back to Spider-Man demo October to show how ssd work lol

it’s still very much valid.

Yeh, show me where people are making duplicate threads of things that have already been discussed.

The level of desperation and anxiety around the PS5 SSD's potential strengths is palpable.

Xbox fans are too busy trying to downplay the PS5's SSD instead of enthusiastically talking about the Series X's strengths and what it will mean for games on the platform.

For shame.

Hawk269

I personally think load times will be drastically improved, but others have said and ignored, next gen textures will be of higher quality, higher resolution etc. and the memory footprint for them will be higher than it is is now and loading much larger textures will take longer. SSD's will hide some of this, but I still think overall, we are going to get blazing load times, but those expecting "instant" loading, like the days of Cartridges are in for a rude awaking.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeh, show me where people are making duplicate threads of things that have already been discussed.

The level of desperation and anxiety around the PS5 SSD's potential strengths is palpable.

Xbox fans are too busy trying to downplay the PS5's SSD instead of enthusiastically talking about the Series X's strengths and what it will mean for games on the platform.

For shame.
"You don't get to downplay my precious SSD." Goes on to downplay TFlops.

Last edited:
lets say even if games could load in 1 second how many devs are going to let you skip your the copy right/partner screen or not dangle some DLC before the games starts to sucker you into buying it. I mean everytime you turn on any BR game,Cod,and current gen sports game most fighting games they will most of the time go out of there way to say hey want to purchase this battlepass for $8.99 after every time you go back to the loading screen.

I just don't see how that'd be possible outside of sloppy coding.

The ps5 outputs 5.5GB/s of data from the ssd, and since it seems it all uses compression that turns into 8-9GB/s of data arriving at ram. With 16GB of ram, that means in two seconds the entire ram has been filled with brand new data.

Three

eh sounds like he saying developers will become lazy lol
It's kind of a silly situation though.

"Devs might not optimise data on the faster machine so you get the same loading times"

"Devs might not optimise their graphics on the faster machine so you get the same graphics"

I mean yeah that could happen but that's on the dev.

hyperbertha

The ps5 outputs 5.5GB/s of data from the ssd, and since it seems it all uses compression that turns into 8-9GB/s of data arriving at ram. With 16GB of ram, that means in two seconds the entire ram has been filled with brand new data.
Exactly. I don't see his logic and he clearly states its due to data related reasons.

CJY

Banned
I fully expected this. The SSD isn't only there to decrease loading times, that's just one (relatively minor) factor. Games need to be made and thought about totally differently than today to see the true advantages, but the potential is massive in the area of game design, not necessarily loading times.

They're not necessarily wrong; so many people are grossly overestimating what the SSDs next-gen will actually change in terms of game design. It will have its beneficial use-cases and definitely help with certain things, but we've already been through an argument kind of like this before. Remember the N64 vs. PS1? Those ROM cartridges were even faster and had more flexibility in how data could be read and write from them, but I don't think anyone would say N64 cartridges were "game changers" at the time.

So yeah the SSDs will help with things other than just load times and install times, but people need to temper expectations with regards their overall benefits, for both systems.

Yams

eh sounds like he saying developers will become lazy lol

It's never about "laziness." It's not like SSD's will result in a bunch of developers sitting in beanbag chairs and eating Cheetos for the last two months of development. It's more likely that given the time and budget available, certain developers will decide that load times are already acceptable and will spend that time on other game related things.

CJY

Banned
They're not necessarily wrong; so many people are grossly overestimating what the SSDs next-gen will actually change in terms of game design. It will have its beneficial use-cases and definitely help with certain things, but we've already been through an argument kind of like this before. Remember the N64 vs. PS1? Those ROM cartridges were even faster and had more flexibility in how data could be read and write from them, but I don't think anyone would say N64 cartridges were "game changers" at the time.

So yeah the SSDs will help with things other than just load times and install times, but people need to temper expectations with regards their overall benefits, for both systems.
I don't know if N64 cartridges is a good comparison, because those were seriously hampered by storage space whereas next-gen SSDs don't appear to have any shortcomings such as this. Point taken though.

I would rather equate it to what moving from catridges in the 16-bit era to optical gave us. It wasn't massive a gigantic shift right away, but it was the start of something revolutionary.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Well, I understood from Cerny that with SSD you don't need duplicated data everywhere. Therefore it should mean game sizes shouldn't be huge. And also duplicated data wouldn't be all over the place.

Hopefully this makes things easier, tidier and helps with optimizations.

In his presentation, Cerny talks about streaming ssd/ram. A player look around in 0.5s, and ssd puts 4GB on RAM.

Maybe 13GB RAM for games could be not sufficient for big open-world 4k games. And streaming ssd/ram could be the smart thing to do.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SSD brought to this gen would help it in so many ways (loading times, faster etc.) once you add on graphics, and how much developers will make open worlds bigger, planning on using thousands of more pixels SSD will essentially break even and that's really disappointing.

Fawst

Banned
loading screens can/will still exist within games. I quick resume into a game and load into a new chapter/area/map a minute later

Sorry, that was in context of game companies trying to push DLC and seeing the copyright information and whatnot. Quick resume even now bypasses all that stuff (if it isn't Destiny 2, or whatever, since you need to go through the load screens to play). So "load" screen was referencing title screen. You know what, I should have just quoted who I was replying to lol

MCplayer

Top Bottom